Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

relative strength of military units

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: relative strength of military units
    Posted: 28-Jul-2008 at 17:18
Hello to you all

This topic have been on my mind for some time I didn't find a good answer for it, what is the typical strength of a fighting military unit? Is it static or changes depending on the country. For example the Soviets fielded some 70 field armies which is enourmous while US only fielded 12 armies. 

Same thing goes for the division, the SS Leibstandarte division had at one time 22 thousand men while most German divisions were about half that number.

So, what is the typical relative strength of different military units?

Al-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2008 at 17:42

It depends on the nation and its organisation. Also beware of mirror imaging, a Russian "Army" is a US/Commonwealth Corps. The US had around 35 of those. And the US in WWII fielded 9 armies (First, Third, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eight, Ninth, Tenth, Fifteenth).

US/Commonwealth units and formations (note an army or a corps is a formation not a unit) are typically much bigger than a Soviet formation; a US/Commonwealth division usually has nearly 20,000 mean, while a Russian division has 6 or 7 thousand. The reason is that a US/Commonwealth division usually has in addition to its three brigades, an artillery brigade, and maybe an aviation brigade (depending on type) attached as well as every unit from battalion upwards has organic (meaning permenently assigned) engineers, signalmen, ordance people and other support troops.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2008 at 02:37
Also,

Soviet WWII orgainization rarely used the Infantry Corps. Instead, a Soviet Army was comprised of 3-5 of the smaller Soviet style Divisions.  The Armies were then grouped into Fronts.  The Soviets did use Tank / Mechanized Corps, but a Soviet Tank Corps was comprised of 5 small Brigades, not Divisons.  Thus a Soviet Tank or Mechanized Corps was equivelant to one reinforced U.S.  Armoured Division.

I think that the Soviets used this organization because while they were capable of producing brilliant Strategic level leadership (Zhukov, Koniev etc.), they were not capable of matching the Germans at the Brigade or Divison commander level. The possible solution was to make the Brigades and Divisions smaller thus reducing the responsibilities.

Edited by Cryptic - 29-Jul-2008 at 02:40
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2008 at 05:24

Actually, the thing was that Soviet structure allowed for a much more lean and mean and efficient organisation. A Soviet post-war division has 275 tanks and 88 IFV, but only 7500 men, a US Armoured divison had only few more tanks; 310, but many more IFV (176 IIRC) and integral artillery support as well as other support elements.

This made the Soviet divison as much combat power as say a US Division, but they could sustain it for far smaller period.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2008 at 11:28
In my time British divisions were much smaller than US ones, infantry ones numbering in round figures about 10,000 - 3 3,000 strong brigades and 1,000 divisional troops. Similarly each brigade consisted of 3 800-strong battalions plus 600 brigaded troops.

Infantry regiments were not part of the order of battle in the British army. It always irritated me that the War Office made us translate the Russian word 'polk' as 'regiment' - following US terminology - when a polk was in effect equivalent to a battalion.

But I accept my time was a long time ago. I don't know about now. In any case the classic divisional structure seems to have been broken down anyway.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2008 at 11:57
Really. Because from what I have read, the British Army seemed to add as many subunits to a higher HQ as possible until the whole logistic system broke down and only then did they raise a second higher HQ.

Hence why at one time in the Burma campaign, the 36th Irish Division controlled 37 battalions.

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2008 at 12:13
As has been pointed out, there is no 'standard'.  The organization can and does vary from nation to nation, over time as well as from unit to unit within a nation's forces.  During WWII the Germans reorganized their divisions, which resulted in fewer troops in the infantry divisions and fewer tanks in the panzer divisions.  Certain units, notably the SS for the Germans, were organized with more of everything (e.g. 5 tank platoons for SS panzer divisions vs. 4 tanks per platoon in 'regular' panzer division).  Finally, units were often not at full strength.  Sometimes they would fight well under strength for extended periods of time.  As German losses far outstripped their ability to replace their losses later in the war, all German units tended to be well under-strength.  It is important to recognize these differences, as simply saying '7 divisions' vs. '5 divisions'  does not really tell you much about the 'odds' in and of itself.

Edited by deadkenny - 29-Jul-2008 at 12:14
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2008 at 13:05
Originally posted by Sparten

Actually, the thing was that Soviet structure allowed for a much more lean and mean and efficient organisation. 

Smaller units also reducedthe individual leadership responsibility. For example, a WWII American Corps of four lage divisions had roughly 60,000 men plus support troops.  The U.S. Corps was equivelant to 8 Soviet 7,000 man Divisions orgainized into two Field Armies. 

Therefore, the senior US leadership team conisited of 5 individuals (4 Division Commanders, 1 Corps Commander).  The Soviet leadership team for the same number of men was 10-11 (8 Division Commanders, 2 Army Commanders, and potentially, 1 Front Commander)
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2008 at 15:14
Originally posted by Sparten

Really. Because from what I have read, the British Army seemed to add as many subunits to a higher HQ as possible until the whole logistic system broke down and only then did they raise a second higher HQ.

Hence why at one time in the Burma campaign, the 36th Irish Division controlled 37 battalions.

At the same time? Battalions could of course be shifted between divisions.

In the order of battle as given in wikipedia, the 36th Infantry Division [1] was made up of (excluding support units) three brigades each of three battalions: the 29th brigade with the 1st Cameronians, the 1st Essex, the 2nd Queen's RR; the 72nd brigade with the 6th S. Wales Borderers, the 9th Royal Sussex, and the 10th Gloucesters; and the 26th Brigade with the 2nd Buffs, the 1st Devons, and the 1st Northants.

[1] The 36th Irish and the 36th Ulster Divisions distinguished themselves in WW1. The 36th Infantry served in Burma in WW2.

Edited by gcle2003 - 29-Jul-2008 at 15:16
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2008 at 15:34

I remember the Orbat from the Spring '45 campaign. It is possible that they were given a few additional brigades for a while.

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2008 at 18:16
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello to you all

This topic have been on my mind for some time I didn't find a good answer for it, what is the typical strength of a fighting military unit? Is it static or changes depending on the country. For example the Soviets fielded some 70 field armies which is enourmous while US only fielded 12 armies. 

Same thing goes for the division, the SS Leibstandarte division had at one time 22 thousand men while most German divisions were about half that number.

So, what is the typical relative strength of different military units?

Al-Jassas

Flexibility is a key to a successful military. This makes unit sizes and composition ever changing for the past 70 or so years. Having served in the U.S. army i can only talk from experience with them.  Divisions within a certain Corps constantly task out their battalions, sometimes brigades, to other divisions to fill in extra needs for the area of operation. For example  In Somalia 1993, I was in the 101st but fell under the command of the 10th mountain division who were in overall command at the time but didn't have the necessary aviation assets within their division. This is still done sometimes when assembling combat brigade teams.

World War 2 units I'm sure fluctuated in strength greatly. Especially depending on the rate of causalities and the availability of replacements.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2008 at 20:09
Originally posted by gcle2003

Infantry regiments were not part of the order of battle in the British army. It always irritated me that the War Office made us translate the Russian word 'polk' as 'regiment' - following US terminology - when a polk was in effect equivalent to a battalion.

but Polks are composed of batalions and polks are roughly the size of Regiments...
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2008 at 13:15
For some idea of the confusion surrounding all this, look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divisions_of_the_Soviet_Union_1917-1945
and check how 'division' and 'brigade' and 'regiment' are scattered around, with any one of the three being said at various times to be commanded by a colonel ('polkovnik'). 'Battalion' is used to refer to a unit of 200 men.

At the divisional level though it's fairly straightforward, with Red Army divisions, at least that time being only marginally bigger than British ones. (And generally being commanded by a 'two-star', i.e. major, general. The division has two-three-four brigades, much as in the British Army, commanded by a brigadier ('one-star' ) but not considered a general officer in Britain.

Note that in Russia, as in Britain, lieutenant colonels are usually addressed as colonels.

Now also 'polks' in the Red army also fought as units, not scattered around over various armies and fronts as British regiments are.

Those are therefore going to have 3,000 or so men, and in the Soviet literature of the period the constituent units are called 'polks' and usually commanded by a podpolkovnik, a lieutenant colonel, as is a British battalion. 

You're left with a polk being the equivalent in command to a British battalion, whatever the official translation may be.

Disclaimers:
a) this may have all changed since WWII and Korea.
b) battle conditions can change anything, especially formal structures.
c) throughout of course I'm referring to infantry units ('rifle' units in Soviet terminology). The cavalry and artillery can take care of their own vocabulary.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 20:59
Originally posted by gcle2003

For some idea of the confusion surrounding all this, look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divisions_of_the_Soviet_Union_1917-1945
and check how 'division' and 'brigade' and 'regiment' are scattered around, with any one of the three being said at various times to be commanded by a colonel ('polkovnik'). 'Battalion' is used to refer to a unit of 200 men.

At the divisional level though it's fairly straightforward, with Red Army divisions, at least that time being only marginally bigger than British ones. (And generally being commanded by a 'two-star', i.e. major, general. The division has two-three-four brigades, much as in the British Army, commanded by a brigadier ('one-star' ) but not considered a general officer in Britain.

Note that in Russia, as in Britain, lieutenant colonels are usually addressed as colonels.

Now also 'polks' in the Red army also fought as units, not scattered around over various armies and fronts as British regiments are.

Those are therefore going to have 3,000 or so men, and in the Soviet literature of the period the constituent units are called 'polks' and usually commanded by a podpolkovnik, a lieutenant colonel, as is a British battalion. 

You're left with a polk being the equivalent in command to a British battalion, whatever the official translation may be.

Disclaimers:
a) this may have all changed since WWII and Korea.
b) battle conditions can change anything, especially formal structures.
c) throughout of course I'm referring to infantry units ('rifle' units in Soviet terminology). The cavalry and artillery can take care of their own vocabulary.

well i was thinkign of the Czarist Army mostly. also, i don't know if that changed but don't most British regiments have a single batallion establishment anyways?
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 23:19
Originally posted by Temujin

also, i don't know if that changed but don't most British regiments have a single batallion establishment anyways?
Yes, I think Bitish regiments have been one batallion units since the 1970s. This allows them to preserve as many historical regiments as possible.  Speaking of historical regiments, does the modern German army use non SS, WWII unit lineages, or WWI historical unit lineages? 

Edited by Cryptic - 31-Jul-2008 at 23:22
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 21:43
they used to have that for the air force only but gradually got rid of that recently. some troopers in Afghanistan painted the sign of the Afrika Korps on their Jeeps (even without swastika) but it caused a big outcry in the public...
recently there were again rumours of the re-introduction fo the Iron Cross but that petition didn't got far either.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 22:17
The single battalion establishment changed for all except the Guards units of the British army in 2006.

Its now based on regions, all the Scottish Regiments are  amalgamated in the Royal Regiment of Scotland (5 battalions), Irish regiments in the 3 Battalion Royal Irish Regiment and so on.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 22:23
What about the composition of typical military units? was the X panzer army just made of armoured units or were there infantry units because I read that the 1st panzer army was actually a typical field army with the except that it has more tanks. Was that the same for the Red tank armies as well?

Al-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 22:28
A Panzer Army at the start of the war and later when it came into being on the ground afer France was slightly smaller than a regular army, it was a top down process, the Germans decided what it needed and gave the troops and equipment. Later it became essentially the similar with more armour as said.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 14:31
Originally posted by Temujin

they used to have that for the air force only but gradually got rid of that recently. some troopers in Afghanistan painted the sign of the Afrika Korps on their Jeeps (even without swastika) but it caused a big outcry in the public...
How sad that political correctness has become a national obsession. This is especially so given the Africa Corps reputation for both courage and chivalry.  If WWII units are out, maybe WWI units can be restored. Russia has reinstated some Imperial units. 

The Japanese public seems to have a different attitude than Germany. Japan routinely uses WWII Battleship, Cruiser etc. names for modern warships. The Rising Sun banner has been retained as well.   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>