Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

could Istanbul withstand the turks if the door wasn’t left open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: could Istanbul withstand the turks if the door wasn’t left open
    Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 13:46

By the way .....

I am not trying to prove that Greeks r or were better , or something like that.

All i say is that the inescapable fall of Konstantinopolis , did not result in a boost , of science and culture . The new regime was completely stale . While in the West , culture and science flourished , with the help of hundreds of Greek scholars who fled there , in the West , culture and science were brought to a halt which is still visible.

The main reason is the structure of the Ottoman society , who was a deeply racist society and refused to absorb ideas from the races that have conqured , fearing that in the end she would be absorbed , by the "reayas".

Isk.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 14:56
Originally posted by iskenderani

Thnks for the info Seko , which i already had , but thnks anyway.

Ur attempt to explain the term "Rumi" , as u probably can understand , is not only lame , but something more.

If u call somebody , a Hindu , this is to say which place of the world is coming from. Understandable. If u call Mevlana , Anatolian , it is probably correct , as i think that Afganistan belongs to the general area ( not sure though ).

Regarding the word Rumi -

Also the term "Rum" or "Rumi" was used to describe a descendant of the old Roman empire , which on the East was mainly a Greek empire , as Romans , have not continued their existence there , or they were Hellenised completely.In this East Roman Empire , the official language was Greek ( Latin had become a secondary language ) and the religion was the GreekOrthodox .

Even today Greeks are called "Hellinas" , "Greek" ( which is also a Hellenistic word ) , and "Romios" which derives from the word Roman..

So IF Celaleddin Rumi , used the term "Rumi" , was simply to emphasize , his ancestry lineage . He was of Greek origin , and i am curious why u and not only u , try to denounce that .Instead u should have produced tens of names from Turkish philosophers that advanced the philosophical analysis that was made 1700 years before , by Plato , or Aristoteles , to emphasize as "John" have said , the "greatness" of the Turkish culture . Instead we have entered a debate about Celaleddin Rumi....He was only an example..

Isk.

I really do not understand where you are completely coming from? You stated that Rumi is a Greek. I then showed a page that says he was born in Afghannistan and practiced in Anatolia (Konya-Iconium). If he was Greek then please show us your proof. In your pursuit to denigrate Turkish or Ottoman culture and benefits to the world, you have chosen him as an example. My response is in regards to your misguided example.

Rumi was used by Turks as a name for inhabitants of the Roman empire. When Turks moved into lands of the old Roman empire they used the word Rum to i dentify with it as a location. As in the Seljuks of Rum, Turks used this wording as a location for mostly Anatolia up to that time. Later in the Ottoman years, Rum-Eli was known as the european provinces. Now just because Turks used and identified with the wording of Rum does not mean that they were of Rum blood or from Rum culture and ethnicity.

Rum does correlate with the Greek dominated Byznatine Romano Empire also. For modern day linquists, perhaps Rum has other connotations as well. Many Turks have called themselves Rum since they lived in Anatolia. Mehmed II even called himself an Emporer of Rum. Since he wanted to identify with the greatness of the Roman Empire. I do not believe that all Turks who assumed to identify with Rum or used a surname of Rum were, by blood or culture,  Greek, however. Ancestral lineage was the least likely reason for a central asian to call themselves Rum.

Science never stopped in the Ottaman empire. Caravansarays, Madrassas of higher learning, art - (ceramics, caligraphy, miniatures), carpet weaving, creative foods, architcture- (fountains, mosques, bridges, roads, etc), military science, astronomy, medicine were some of the cultural aspects that the Ottomans built in there time. Ali Kuscu, Molla Lutfi, Mirim Celebi, Piri Reis even were a few of the scientists in that period.

The renaissance never hit the Ottomans till much later. It did not fit the Ottoman leaders needs until later in the empires decline. 

During Ottoman growth, many sciences from ancient sources (western and eastern) were translated to Turkish, Arabic and Persian and even Greek.

Other great Turkish thinkers in pre- Ottoman and Ottoman times:  Yunus Emre,  Ziya Gokalp, Fuzuli, Ibni Sina - Avicenna, Namik Kemal. The Sufi philosopher/poet Rumi was neither Greek nor Ottoman. He was a Seljuk.

Edited by Seko
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 16:08
Originally posted by Alparslan

Originally posted by coolstorm

are the turks related to the nomadic turgie people in the tang dynasty?

Yes.

I am begining to ask for proof. I have seen many turks claim ansestors from the mongolians who invaded China to the turks who invaded india and became the mugul empire. But, I doubt this is really true. I believe the current people in anatolia are Not related to all of these nomadic tribes, or a very small percentage of their heritage is. Turkish nomads does not neccesarily equal Ottoman Empire, which most turks claim their roots from.

Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 17:53
Originally posted by Seko

I really do not understand where you are completely coming from? You stated that Rumi is a Greek. I then showed a page that says he was born in Afghannistan and practiced in Anatolia (Konya-Iconium). If he was Greek then please show us your proof. In your pursuit to denigrate Turkish or Ottoman culture and benefits to the world, you have chosen him as an example. My response is in regards to your misguided example.

And from my  side , i cannot understand what u r trying to prove. Clearly Celaleddin Rumi , was no Turk , he was an Afgan , borned in Afganistan. By the way u r aware of the tribe of Calash in Afganistan , who believe to be descendants from the soldiers of Alexander the Great. So why does it annoys u if an Afgan calls himslef a Greek ??

On the contrary , i am not trying to denigrate anything...I just want to know more about the benefits the Ottomans gave to the world.

U ask for proof....Ok here is ur proof , ur own words : " Rumi was used by Turks as a name for inhabitants of the Roman empire." Exactly , but u must add that by the time there was no Roman empire...It existed only the Hellenised , East Roman Empire , which was called the Byzantine Empire.

Rumi was used by Turks as a name for inhabitants of the Roman empire. When Turks moved into lands of the old Roman empire they used the word Rum to i dentify with it as a location. As in the Seljuks of Rum, Turks used this wording as a location for mostly Anatolia up to that time. Later in the Ottoman years, Rum-Eli was known as the european provinces. Now just because Turks used and identified with the wording of Rum does not mean that they were of Rum blood or from Rum culture and ethnicity.

As for the rest and the use of the word RUM , for different locations , this is not our subject.

Rum does correlate with the Greek dominated Byznatine Romano Empire also. For modern day linquists, perhaps Rum has other connotations as well. Many Turks have called themselves Rum since they lived in Anatolia. Mehmed II even called himself an Emporer of Rum. Since he wanted to identify with the greatness of the Roman Empire. I do not believe that all Turks who assumed to identify with Rum or used a surname of Rum were, by blood or culture,  Greek, however. Ancestral lineage was the least likely reason for a central asian to call themselves Rum.

Of course , and i agree with u .The word RUM was used to say that these people were inhabitants , of the location that WAS the East RUM ( Roman ) Empire , the Byzantime Empire and correctly Mehmed II was calling himself as Emperor of the Rum...that was what he had conquered after all.

Science never stopped in the Ottaman empire. Caravansarays, Madrassas of higher learning, art - (ceramics, caligraphy, miniatures), carpet weaving, creative foods, architcture- (fountains, mosques, bridges, roads, etc), military science, astronomy, medicine were some of the cultural aspects that the Ottomans built in there time. Ali Kuscu, Molla Lutfi, Mirim Celebi, Piri Reis even were a few of the scientists in that period.

Now , as far as i know , caravansarays were just trading posts , and nothing more. As for madrassas , i would like to know which madrassa was so famous that students from all over the world visited her to study there , and what where the sciences that were taught there. We clealy have a difference of opinion here . I am talking about philosophy , sciences , phusics , mathematics that at this time were flourishing in the East , and u tell me about caligrafy , carpet weaving , creative foods and architecture.Piri Reis as i know was an admiral , not a scientist , and even his famous charts were copied from other sources , as it is clear he never left the Med waters..As for the others

### Ottomans as empire builders were interested in learning the practical arts and sciences but not so much in metaphysical speculations. Scholars returning home from the well established Madrasa located in Egypt, Iran and Western Asia, brought home an old controversy that was going on among followers of Imam Ghazali and Ibn Rushd, regarding the relationship of rational thinking to faith. Specifically, could the scientific realities of life, for example, be contradictory to the truth of faith (pillars of belief or credo). In 1478, Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror put this crucial question, long over-due, before a select group of Muslim scholars. After weeks of deliberations, the scholars held up Ghazali's tahafut (incompatibility) argument against the counter views held by Ibn Rushd who, by the way, had strongly influenced the Renaissance in the west. The scholarly verdict was that the human mind, vulnerable as it is, must stop right there and yield to the faith in dogma. The Sultan had apparently confirmed this proposition which thereafter became and remained the law of the land. It marked the end of all scientific enquiries and speculations that may have fallen or seemed totally contrary to the established (sunni/orthodox) faith. The Ottomans prosecuted many young and talented persons on the grounds of would-be heresy or apostacy.###

This was the fate of culture and science in the Ottoman Empire.

The renaissance never hit the Ottomans till much later. It did not fit the Ottoman leaders needs until later in the empires decline. During Ottoman growth, many sciences from ancient sources (western and eastern) were translated to Turkish, Arabic and Persian and even Greek.

The above sentnce of urs , is my coclusion too.There is no point to translate a document if u dont want , to use it . The Ottoman society denounced renaissance , for whatever the reason either religious or cultural. So while in the west there was a flowering os everything , from engineering to astronomy , in the East , things remained calm , Orientalisly calm.

Other great Turkish thinkers in pre- Ottoman and Ottoman times:  Yunus Emre,  Ziya Gokalp, Fuzuli, Ibni Sina - Avicenna, Namik Kemal. The Sufi philosopher/poet Rumi was neither Greek nor Ottoman. He was a Seljuk.

I am not returning to Rumi again. I believe the matter is closed.But as for Avicenna , lets see ( Born :980 in Kharmaithen ( near Bukhara ) Died : June 1037 in Hamadan Persia ) This is clearly again a non-Turkish scientist .By the way , can u tell me why u r trying to show as everything being , or having a connection with Turks ?? By the time Sina lived it was the begining of the Turkish expansion...Emre , a poet and a Sufi of the 13th century , Gokalp ( 1876-1924 ), a sociologist exploring the benefits of technological advancement as opposed to the Muslim way of life...Fuzuli , another poet ...Namik Kemal ( 1840-1888 ) ...another poet..My friend , if u think that culture is only poetry , then , i am sorry...culture is everything .From mathematics to poetry, to theater, to physics ,to philosophy ..everything.

Isk.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 18:54

If you believe that because Rumi has lived in the land of a prior Roman (East) Empire, and he is therfore Greek, then I have nothing to say either. Are the Rumeli Turks also Greek? This is wierd logic you present.

Did I say he Rumi was Turkish? Look back at my notes. Perhaps any Turk living in central asia was something else and not of Turkish blood also, because they lived in a land once ruled by Alexander's Greeks.

More twisted logic - Since Rumi was "Greek" and since no Turks were in the sciences, then in the balkans today the lack of science and architectural relics from the Ottoman empire must lay at the responsibility of the "Greeks". Since you ancestors chose not to produce any while they led the Ottomans.

Iskenderani wrote:

By the way , can u tell me why u r trying to show as everything being , or having a connection with Turks ??

Perhaps this is why I:

Iskenderani:  U consider the Ottoman empire to be great , in terms of military and culturally ??? Can u give us some idea of the philosophical work that has been done during the Ottoman empire ??

As far as i know , even the man who introduced Sufism , Jelal El Din Rumi , who is considered to be one of the greatest philosophers of his time , was a Greek , not an Ottoman. Where do u base the asumption that u make about a "cultural greatness" ??

I thought the Ottoman empire was ruled by Turks. Rumi happened to write his major works in Seljuk Rum Anatolia. The Seljuks were a Oguz branch of Turks.

Iskenderani:  U ask for proof....Ok here is ur proof , ur own words : " Rumi was used by Turks as a name for inhabitants of the Roman empire." Exactly , but u must add that by the time there was no Roman empire...It existed only the Hellenised , East Roman Empire , which was called the Byzantine Empire.

It was the Eastern Roman Empire, not Byzantium. The label Byzantium was a 19'th century creation. But where is your proof that Rumi was Greek? And the Rum at the time of the Seljuks pertains to their empire also.

Edited by Seko
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 16:00

Seko..lets sum up...

Celaleddin Rumi , was nothing but an example.

As u may have seen , i have not even once , said , anything about the Seltjuks , who , in my humble opinion , were a very progressive branch of Turks.

On the other hand , i am pointing out that after the Ottomans gained power , although they succeeded in their conquerings , one way or the other , they have a complete failure , in the fields of science and culture.

Of course , in a so big an empire , there were some enlightened minds , but they were not enough to produce any effect . On the other hand the racistic structure of the Ottoman administration , had the result that the Ottoman society remained a closed society to the influences either from the East , or the cultures the "reayas" had , allowing only measured quantities of them to pass their walls and only according to their needs at the time.

Had the Byzantine empire fallen in the hands of the Seltjuks , things may have been different , even today.

Btw.Byzantium was called the small city , on which remains Konstantinopolis was built...A greek city ....So after all , it was Byzantium , all the time...from its begining to its end.

Isk.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234