Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

could Istanbul withstand the turks if the door wasn’t left open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: could Istanbul withstand the turks if the door wasn’t left open
    Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:09
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Originally posted by Molossos

OK Abdul .
Also Istanbul doesnt mean "to the city". Ottomans were not that ignorant to call their capital in a name that they have seen while moving their armies to conquer the Eastern Roman Empire. Istanbul is a Persian name for "land bridge".

Thought we had that discussion already, Istanbul is clearly derived from 'to the city'. It has nothing to do with ignorance though.

As for the original topic until it was provoced away (that is, until before the first post...), no, the city would have fallen eventually, on that day or another. As said, it was inevitable.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:13

Actually, Alexander is a Greek name akinci, but I know that millions of non Greeks exist with that name allover the world. In the same fashion Turks have Arabic names. I know more than you can imagine about Turkey and Turks and you probably didn't understand what I wrote about Constantinople. I suggest that you use a dictionary.

Turks dont have Arabic names. Some of Turks have only a modified Islamic (Arabic) name, some have both Arabic and Turkish names, and lots of us have only Turkish names. For example, both of my names are Turkish, and it was a common culture between Turkmens to give two names to a new born baby, one Turkish and one Islamic (ex: most of the Seljuk khans: Alparslan (Davudoglu Mehmed). I could also what you meant with millions of Greek Alexanders all over the world. So there are also millions of Turks of Turkey and central asia with the names "Arslan","Yashar" and "Emre" five times the Greek Alexanders number all over the world. Even the Cheche leader's name is "Arslan", and there are lots of "Yahshar"s, "Aydin"s and "Genghis"s in other Muslim countries...

Also as I know, the Greeks have also lots of Christian names which have middle Eastern origin, such as Jorgo, John, and other saint names. I cant remember how many Michaels had been Byzanthine Emperors? 20?  

Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:15

I would answer to the provocations of Turks, but I think it's pointless to even talk with a nation of robbers, murderers and rapists.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:21
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

OK Abdul .
Also Istanbul doesnt mean "to the city". Ottomans were not that ignorant to call their capital in a name that they have seen while moving their armies to conquer the Eastern Roman Empire. Istanbul is a Persian name for "land bridge".

Thought we had that discussion already, Istanbul is clearly derived from 'to the city'. It has nothing to do with ignorance though.

As for the original topic until it was provoced away (that is, until before the first post...), no, the city would have fallen eventually, on that day or another. As said, it was inevitable.

The past discussion didnt prove anything. Istanbul means land bridge, and I think your knowledge abot the original name is only dependent to the things you read, but after a visit to Turkey, Istanbul and a research about the cultural sharings and interactions btw Turks and Persians since the pre Islamic Turkish times until the birth of Ottoman (Osmanoglu dynasty), you would see lots of common values and names between us since we were neighboors for thousands of years...

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:23

I would answer to the provocations of Turks, butI think it's pointless to even talk with a nation of robbers, murderers and rapists.

Why comes, that a nation that has such a great tradition of intellectuals, writers, artists, scientists and philosophers, also can turn out morons like you?
Socrates would turn in his grave, if he heard that you call yourself a Greek.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:26
I am Greek, I can't be a moron. I don't need crticism by a Euro hungry Turk.
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:38

Every country in the world is inhabited by humans.

And we humans can be morons,good people,evil,intellectual so every country can have people like these.

I am not saying that you are a moron Molossos.Just wanted to say that every country is inhabited by humans and we can do a lot of things.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:41

The past discussion didnt prove anything. Istanbul means land bridge, and I think your knowledge abot the original name is only dependent to the things you read, but after a visit to Turkey, Istanbul and a research about the cultural sharings and interactions btw Turks and Persians since the pre Islamic Turkish times until the birth of Ottoman (Osmanoglu dynasty), you would see lots of common values and names between us since we were neighboors for thousands of years...

Before this thread is closed, I'd like to say that yes, everything posted in that thread pointed to that Istanbul is a derivative of Stanbul. The idea that it would be Persian for 'land bridge' suffers from 1) the clear documentation about Stanbul->Istanbul (ie, that's what the city was actually called, and it's documented) 2) the Persians themselves didn't call it Istanbul prior to the Turks, which effectively removes the idea that the Turks got the name from the Persians and 3) no etyomological report has given support to that idea.

I would answer to the provocations of Turks, butI think it's pointless to even talk with a nation of robbers, murderers and rapists.

Nice going. Trying to get banned are you?

Edited by Styrbiorn
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:42

I would answer to the provocations of Turks, but I think it's pointless to even talk with a nation of robbers, murderers and rapists.

think you are far beneath what you just wrote.t was disrespectful and low to insult people even nations without provocation.Right now i am seeing you as an unworthy enemy because of what you just said to my people.You are not half the person you write about. do not mean to insult you but your actions gave me the impression.What i have just written is no insult to you.

Edited by aknc
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:45

I am Greek, I can't be a moron. I don't need crticism by a Euro hungry Turk.

really think you have some issues. respect Greece as a country but your words have proven me that you are no greek

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:48
Most Greeks view you as subhumans. They say so many weird things about you. The fact that I even talk to Turks is strange, but that's me. I don't think there are any subhumans in this world.
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:52
The conversation has gone off-topic.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:58
Most Turks view you as humans.Good ones because we are so good natured that we have forgotten how you destroyed villages,killed pregnant women,stabbed the babies and raped the dead bodies of dead women in WW1. know that the Greeks are good natured people.You are not.You have issues against the Turks. am willing to help you,because your words have proven that yo are pathetic.Again i do not mean to insult you.

Edited by aknc

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 14:14

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Before this thread is closed, I'd like to say that yes, everything posted in that thread pointed to that Istanbul is a derivative of Stanbul. The idea that it would be Persian for 'land bridge' suffers from 1) the clear documentation about Stanbul->Istanbul (ie, that's what the city was actually called, and it's documented) 2) the Persians themselves didn't call it Istanbul prior to the Turks, which effectively removes the idea that the Turks got the name from the Persians and 3) no etyomological report has given support to that idea.

In Turkey we mostly know the Greek version. But here first time I heard about Persian explanation of Istanbul from our Persian forumers. At the beginning it was not convincing to me but after making a research about it it seems quit possible. Just look at this.

Dareios has built a bridge on Bosphorus for his campaign against Scythians. In this part of the book Heredotus has given very detailed information on how he built the bridge to pass the army.

Heredotus: Book IV 83 / 88

http://www.piney.com/Heredotus4.html

"The mouth is but four furlongs wide; and this strait, called the Bosphorus, and across which the bridge of Darius had been thrown, is a hundred and twenty furlongs in length, reaching from the Euxine to the Propontis."

He has built a stone and write down a text on this stone like this:

"The fish-fraught Bosphorus bridged, to Juno's fane
Did Mandrocles this proud memorial bring;
When for himself a crown he'd skill to gain,
For Samos praise, contenting the Great King. Such was the memorial of his work which was left by the architect of the bridge. "

So Persians may call the city or Bosphorus as Stanpool which means lands bridge in Persian (as our Persian forumers said).

In fact even geographically it is just like a bridge with its natural form.

It looks like land bridge where two continent meet with each other. It looks like a very good name. 

It seems like reasonable to me but this hypothesis should be supported by historical documents and Persians must call the city or region around it as Stanpool since very long time. I have asked as if it was so to Persian forumers but they did not reply it.

But even if Persians did not call the city like this, Sogdians which were colesly related with Turks may call it like this. They were the traders of Silk Road.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 15:49
Originally posted by Alparslan

In Turkey we mostly know the Greek version. But here first time I heard about Persian explanation of Istanbul from our Persian forumers. At the beginning it was not convincing to me but after making a research about it it seems quit possible. Just look at this.

Well,look here:

Originally posted by Cyrus

If Afghanistan means "Land of Afghans" and Kabul means "Mountain Bridge" then Istanbul means "Land Bridge".

So, basicly, he got it from comparing two Afghan names (ignoring that -i is a pluralizing suffix and that -stan rather means country/state, 'home of'(as a suffix) than 'land'(as in landscape)). How much credibility do you find in that theory?

So Persians may call the city or Bosphorus as Stanpool which means lands bridge in Persian (as our Persian forumers said).

They didn't, according to Cyrus himself they called it Astanih during the Ottoman period, which probably also is a distortion of the Greek name.

I find this very far-fetched, since it is mere speculation without historical support. Stanbol is so incredibly close to Istanbul I find it hard not to believe in that theory - especially when there is documentation about it.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2005 at 02:58

Molossos, you're an inch away from a ban. Your last posts were a disgrace to this forum. Consider that as the last warning!

To the rest of the forumers: just because one person is getting out of line, that does not mean that everyone else has to follow downhill. Please refrain from responding to inflammatory posts and keep the discussion civil.

Thanks!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2005 at 21:02

Most Greeks view you as subhumans. They say so many weird things about you. The fact that I even talk to Turks is strange, but that's me. I don't think there are any subhumans in this world.

I don't know of many Greeks who view them as subhumans. Yes, we don't along all the time, but as time passes on, things just need to be worked out..

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2005 at 22:07

It is a fact that there was a large jewish community in front of the "kerkoporta" that the Turks entered after conveniently "remembering" its existance, there are some historians that mention this as a fact (see T. Petsalis).

As for Istanbul see "eis tin polin"

@strategos

I find your views quite interesting. May I ask on which side of Cyprus do you live on, North or South???

No offense intended, it's just that I can't stand seeing pic of the insciption
"Ne mutlu Turkium die" spelling? (I'm proud to be a Turk) on the Pentadaktylos yet you seem to be ready to forget your homeland, for some alleged friendship?

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 02:34

Originally posted by Phallanx

It is a fact that there was a large jewish community in front of the "kerkoporta" that the Turks entered after conveniently "remembering" its existance, there are some historians that mention this as a fact (see T. Petsalis).

What do you want to say?

As for Istanbul see "eis tin polin"

What does it mean ecxactly in Greek?

To the city? In the city? or in some French sources it says "c'est la ville" (This is city)?

Which one is true?

"Ne mutlu Turkium die" spelling? (I'm proud to be a Turk)

No it means that "what a great happiness to whom who says I am Turk".

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 03:04
are the turks related to the nomadic turgie people in the tang dynasty?
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>