Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

could Istanbul withstand the turks if the door wasn’t left open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: could Istanbul withstand the turks if the door wasn’t left open
    Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 13:00
The help of ulubatl hasan is discluded
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 04:34
What is istanbul?
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 05:11
Originally posted by Molossos

What is istanbul?

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks

They Might Be Giants
American Rock Band

Watch the video here:

Istanbul (not)

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 05:20
NO!

In 1453 the Byzantine Empire was on it's very last legs.
It's territory was reduced to Constantinople and a few surrounding fields, no serious help was coming from any where and even if the Ottomans hadn't entered the city on that very day, they would have come the day after or the following week.
The Byzantine survived for far longer than it could have been expected, dying a long slow death and that was the finishing stroke.
It was inevitable!

Edited by Komnenos
Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 05:53
I thought this was an English speaking forum so that I wouldn't have to understand terms and words used in foreign languages. In the same fashion that us Greeks call our glorious capital Athens when we speak English and not Athina, which is the real name of the city.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 05:57

I thought this was an English speaking forum so that I wouldn't have to understand terms and words used in foreign languages. In the same fashion that us Greeks call our glorious capital Athens when we speak English and not Athina, which is the real name of the city.

stanbul is the name for the city in present day,its a NAME so i don't have to translate it. 

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 05:59

What is istanbul?

stanbul is a three Headed monster that spits fire.(eheheheheheheh)

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 06:00

What exactly is the problem here? I don't get it!
Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 06:10
I don't get your comments and lyrics against the proper name of Constantinople either. Moreover, I don't think you are from Svalbard island since you provoke regarding this issue even more than Turks.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 06:17

I don't get your comments and lyrics against the proper name of Constantinople either. Moreover, I don't think you are from Svalbard island since you provoke regarding this issue even more than Turks.

You're right there, I'm not from Svalbard but would love to be there.
But correct me if I'm wrong, the proper name for that city is Istanbul, for a good 550 years now, and it will be, until the victorious neo-byzantine army, no doubt under your leadership, will recapture it and give it back its old name, just a couple of days after the Aztecs have re-taken Mexico-City.
Get real, mate!

Edited by Komnenos
Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 06:30

I don't really wish to recapture Constantinople under these conditions because we have no jurisdiction (moral) to conquer lands that are not inhabited by our Greek brothers. I support a dynamic operation to kick the Turks out of the island of Cyprus. It's in the eastern Mediterranean for your information. By the way, the original names of places in Turkey were changed by Kemal's regime after he abolished the imperial rule.

So, your statements regarding the 550 year long existence of these names are false. Take a look at older maps and articles of the 20th CENTURY about it and you will find out how wrong you are.

A good link to enlighten you as well is this one: http://www.sephardicstudies.org/istanbul.html

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 06:49

So, your statementsregarding the 550 year long existence of these names are false. Take a look at oldermaps and articles of the 20th CENTURYabout it and you will find out how wrong you are.

A good link to enlightenyou as well is this one: http://www.sephardicstudies.org/istanbul.html

Well,I read your sources and a couple more, just to make sure.
It seems we're splitting hairs here, even if the name "Istanbul" was only officialy adopted in 1930, "Istanbul or Stamboul" was the most common Turkish name for the city since, as it seems,
the 11th century. A few other names were in use, but that's all besides the point.
It is a Turkish city now for more than 550 years and the Turks have the right to call it whatever they want.
Better get used to it.

Edited by Komnenos
Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 06:56
OK Abdul .
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 07:30

I support a dynamic operation to kick the Turks out of the island of Cyprus. It's in the eastern Mediterranean for your information.

I hope you will not try to do something like this.

Live in peace.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 09:11

OK Abdul .

Abdul is not a Turkish name.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 09:12

Originally posted by Komnenos

You're right there, I'm not from Svalbard but would love to be there.
But correct me if I'm wrong, the proper name for that city is Istanbul, for a good 550 years now, and it will be, until the victorious neo-byzantine army, no doubt under your leadership, will recapture it and give it back its old name, just a couple of days after the Aztecs have re-taken Mexico-City.
Get real, mate!

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 09:17

I don't really wish to recapture Constantinople under these conditions because we have no jurisdiction (moral) to conquer lands that are not inhabited by our Greek brothers. I support a dynamic operation to kick the Turks out of the island of Cyprus. It's in the eastern Mediterranean for your information. By the way, the original names of places in Turkey were changed by Kemal's regime after he abolished the imperial rule.

So, your statements regarding the 550 year long existence of these names are false. Take a look at older maps and articles of the 20th CENTURY about it and you will find out how wrong you are.

A good link to enlighten you as well is this one: http://www.sephardicstudies.org/istanbul.html

Have you ever been to Turkey?Or know anything abut Turkey?Because everything you wrote was ceartainly false.And your Cyprus plan was not realistic.n other words,'d like to see you try!

Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 09:52
Actually, Alexander is a Greek name akinci, but I know that millions of non Greeks exist with that name allover the world. In the same fashion Turks have Arabic names. I know more than you can imagine about Turkey and Turks and you probably didn't understand what I wrote about Constantinople. I suggest that you use a dictionary.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:00

OK Abdul .

Abdul is an Arabic name. Also Istanbul doesnt mean "to the city". Ottomans were not that ignorant to call their capital in a name that they have seen while moving their armies to conquer the Eastern Roman Empire. Istanbul is a Persian name for "land bridge".

I think you have some inferiority complex. Get a life, live the moment. Constantinopole is Istanbul since 1453. Get used to it. A city belongs to ones who has its cultural dominiance, political authority and ethnic population in it, not its past owners of 550 years before now...

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:07

Actually, Alexander is a Greek name akinci, but I know that millions of non Greeks exist with that name allover the world. In the same fashion Turks have Arabic names. I know more than you can imagine about Turkey and Turks and you probably didn't understand what I wrote about Constantinople. I suggest that you use a dictionary.

You said you knew Turkey and Turks but you don't even know the name of one of their biggest cities(istanbul).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>