Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monuments to heroes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monuments to heroes
    Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 21:07
What interesting monuments do you have to your fallen war heroes, firemen or Police; in your country or region.

I will stick with the state of Washington myself and off hand we have a WWI monument in the shape of Stone Henge.

It over looks the Columbia River

War monument

Spokane Cemetery - WWI maybe???

I will add some later when I get to a better computer.
I saw a really cool WWI monument in Istanbul at Taxism square so if someone from Istanbul or Turkey could post it since it has to be from your area. Athens has some great monuments also

Edited by eaglecap - 19-Jul-2008 at 21:10
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 02:26

Statue of "Mother Albania". Its dedicated to the Partisans of WWII. On it is enscribed: Eternal Glory to the Martyrs of the Fatherland.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 06:47

Leif Erikson, the first European, who travelled to America, together with his fellows.
Monument in Downtown Reykjavik next to Hallsgrimskirkja cathedral.

not very close to my home but
Che%20Guevara%20monument,%20statue,%20Santa%20Clara

Il Comandante in Santa Clara (Cuba)

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 20-Jul-2008 at 06:51

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 11:05
Luxembourg's main memorial to those who served in the two world wars is the 'Gëlle Fra' ('Golden Lady')

What's interesting about her history is that in 1940 she was taken down and hid from the German occupiers. And promptly lost. The statue was only re-erected in the early 'eighties after it was found during reconstruction of the city's main football stadium. 

Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 11:19

^^^^

Sorry, can't see anything...
btw , i thought that she was the heroe of Luxemburg...

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2008 at 01:23
I don't know if Abraham Lincoln would count but he was our commander and chief during the American Civil War and he is one of my favorite Presidents. I know he suspended freedoms dufing that war but that is for anohter thread!!

statue of a local Astonaut heroe who died in the shuttle crash.

We have one cool statue of a soldier who died fighting in the Samoan Islands in the 1800's but I cannot find it. The plague says, " died fighting savage foe" I am suprised the PC police have not removed it yet. He was from the small town of Chewelah, WA north of Spokane- I will find it later.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 12:08
Edit 

Edited by Old Hickory - 24-Jul-2008 at 07:59
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 19:30
Edit

Edited by Old Hickory - 24-Jul-2008 at 08:00
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 19:39
National Hero -

...followed by a local one.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 19:57
Originally posted by Old Hickory

It seems odd to me that a monument that existed prior to 1940 commemorates those who served during World War II.  Are you sure this is a war memorial?

Well, when it was originally erected it was to sommemorate WW1. WW2 was added after the rededication of the plinth after 1945 (the plinth was still there - only the statue on top got lost).

The same is true of most war memorials in the UK and France, including the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

Incidentally, removing my Luxembourg hat and putting hy hometown one on, there are a whole flock of memorials to the Titanic in Southampton, including for instance one for the engineers and another for the musicians and so on.

I doubt any ship has as many memorials all in one town.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 20:12
And none in Belfast?
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 00:49
Seko Ronald McDonald - A monument to healthy eating- lol

Here is the Korean war Memorial designed by an artist from my city Spokane

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 11:43

Nice pictures. I will like too know if there are foreign military cemeteries in your countries.

Here's a link for Romania: http://www.once.ro/engleza/

In my home town, Slobozia, there is a military cemetery. There are 1918 soldiers buried there: 1 French, 214 Algerians (of the French army), 18 Germans, 142 Indians, 1493 Turks, 40 unknown soldiers, 10 British and 77 Romanians.

I will try to post some pictures but you'll have to wait until I take a trip to visist my parents.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 12:25
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 14:55
Algerians and indians in Slobozia! What brought those poor guys from their countries to Romania?

Al-Jassas
vranakonti View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote vranakonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 17:47
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Algerians and indians in Slobozia! What brought those poor guys from their countries to Romania?

Al-Jassas

Probably the same reasons that brought Albanians in Egypt and all over middle-east in ottoman times.

Edited by vranakonti - 23-Jul-2008 at 17:48
Ti Shqipri m ep nder...
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 19:58
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Al-Jassas

Probably Indians were brought to war by the British and the Algerians by the French.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 20:48
Karl Marx Stadt (former Chemnitz)

Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 21:39
Algerians and indians in Slobozia! What brought those poor guys from their countries to Romania?

The French brought in Algerian cavalry, Sipahis, into the Balkans during the first World War. The Indians are probably from the Brits.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 01:34
Vietnam war memorial Riverfront park - my city

Vietnam memorial stands strong in Riverfront Park

7/18/2008 - SPOKANE, Wash. – Spokane residents display pride in the military with a statue in Riverfront Park dedicated to the men and women who served in the Vietnam War. The inscription below the statue reads, “Inland Northwest Vietnam Veterans Memorial; Dedicated November 10, 1985 to those who served and to those who gave their lives and are now in God’s hands.” (U.S. Air Force photo / Airman 1st Class Melissa Barnett)

WWI monument in Washington State- probably Olympia our State capital

Put up by the Italian segment of Walla Walla, WA population:

Christopher Columbus- in front of the county courthouse

Edited by eaglecap - 24-Jul-2008 at 01:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>