Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Knot writing in China and America

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knot writing in China and America
    Posted: 09-Jul-2008 at 04:07
Is it just a coincidence that "knot writing" systems existed only in Ancient China and pre-Columbian America?   Smile
Σαυρομάτης
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2008 at 04:37

I am not sure that only existed in Peru and China...

In any case, in Peru, quipus accounting (not writing) is very old. In Caral, Peru, a quipu Inca style was found. Caral was founded circa 2500 BC.

My thesis? If they are quite old and have the same origin... perhaps the idea crossed the Bering strait Wink

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2008 at 05:28
Originally posted by pinguin

I am not sure that only existed in Peru and China...

I heard only about these two instances.

In any case, in Peru, quipus accounting (not writing) is very old. In Caral, Peru, a quipu Inca style was found. Caral was founded circa 2500 BC.

I think it was dated around 3000 BC actually. Interestengly enough 2500-3000 BC time spam is exactly the time when Chinese knot writing was supposedly used. Smile In fact, Chinese knot writing was primarly used for the accounting as well.

This is that the demand for writing came from counting activities in line of explanations or justifications to provide authenticity. This has been associated with the origin of accounting (Littleton, 1933; 1953). The need to develop counting was one of the major tasks faced by people in the prehistoric environment. As productivity improved over time the need to keep accurate records of surplus became obvious. Several methods were invented to satisfy this need (Guo, 1984; 1988). The invention of knotting is a good example (Guo, 1988, p.7).6

In Early Antiquity, knotted cords were used to govern with. Later, our saints replaced them with written characters and tallies.

In the ancient past, during the time of Rang Cheng, Xuan Yuan, Fu Xi, and Shen Nong, people tied knots to communicate. For a major matter, use string to tie a big knot; for a minor matter, tie a small knot. The number of knots corresponds to the number of matters to be dealt with.

My thesis? If they are quite old and have the same origin... perhaps the idea crossed the Bering strait Wink

I had the same crazy idea on my mind LOL. Could Peruvian know writing just be a memory of the Ancient Eurasian heritage?
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply