Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Second Bulgarian State

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 28>
Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second Bulgarian State
    Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 12:14
Originally posted by Anton

But this is exactly what I mean. Choniates mentioned this as Vlach revolt rather than a revolt of population of Bulgaria. Which you must admit was mostly Bulgarian in cultural sence. And if this revolt  would be primarily Vlach then the obviously they would create Vlachian state. Which did not happen.
I don't think we have any sources to provide a decent ethnographic picture of 12th century Bulgaria, so what would mean "mostly Bulgarian in cultural sense"?

The second conclusion does not follow. Even the Byzantine empire, though formed mostly as Roman empire eventually became Greek. Why couldn't a Vlach revolt then turn eventually to a Bulgarian state (for which we don't even have the grounds to estimate how many Bulgarian speakers it had, maybe it was like Czernian attempts to minimize the term  Vlach, only a territorial denomination, Bulgarians = inhabitants of Bulgaria).

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 12:18
Originally posted by Czarnian

You can check a letter from the bulgarian primas/archbishop Vasilyi to Inokentii from november 1204, in which he states that he is sending the future tzar and maybe the future patriarch to the pope to study the latin language. If Joan and his brothers were latin, why would they send a mission to Rome, weren't there thousands of latin speakers in Bulgaria?
You probably know little of Latin and Romance languages. Latin and Vlach languages/dialects (or Italian or any other Romance language) are not mutually intelligible. They can understand some words, some grammar, they can learn it with relative ease (as compared to a Russian or Turk or a Namibian).

About Vlachs, check this passage from Choniates (468, in ed. Magoulias, p. 257). It happens after a capture of Roman (that is Greek) prisoners:
"One of the captive priests, who had been carried off to the Haimos as a prisoner of war and knew the language of the Vlachs, begged Asan to release him and appealed to him to show him mercy."
Question for you: why would the priest need to know the language of the Vlachs to speak to Asan?

Edited by Chilbudios - 30-Aug-2008 at 12:22
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 12:50
Originally posted by Chilbudios

I don't think we have any sources to provide a decent ethnographic picture of 12th century Bulgaria, so what would mean "mostly Bulgarian in cultural sense"?

The second conclusion does not follow. Even the Byzantine empire, though formed mostly as Roman empire eventually became Greek. Why couldn't a Vlach revolt then turn eventually to a Bulgarian state (for which we don't even have the grounds to estimate how many Bulgarian speakers it had, maybe it was like Czernian attempts to minimize the term  Vlach, only a territorial denomination, Bulgarians = inhabitants of Bulgaria).

Maybe we don't have any source but we definitely know the outcome. As for Byzantine Empire -- I disagree. It became Greek in ethnical greek borders. The rest became slavonic, turkish and arabic.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 12:56
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

Again we won't get into this fantasy that Bulgarians have Thracian linneage via "untained Thracians". Just because some Thracians recalled parts of their language does not mean they weren't latin influenced.
They were simply not Romanized. They were Thracian speakers and passed the grammar of the language to Bulgarian language. It's fantasy only for some Romanians.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 13:08
Maybe we don't have any source but we definitely know the outcome. As for Byzantine Empire -- I disagree. It became Greek in ethnical greek borders. The rest became slavonic, turkish and arabic.
We have a Roman Byzantine Empire (inheriting Roman institutions, traditions even using Latin language for a while as official language) and a Greek Byzantine Empire (sometimes these two overalapped having thus a Greek-speaking Roman empire). We have no Slavic or Turkish or Arabic Byzantine empires.

Similarly we have a Vlach revolt, we have a Vlacho-Bulgarian empire (tsar of the Vlachs and of the Bulgarians) and then a Bulgarian empire (tsar of the Bulgarians). We don't know much about its etnography, but I see no argument for your claim that from a Vlach revolt it couldn't develop a Bulgarian empire. Official languages change, official titles change, even the vernacular languages assimilate each other (though this latter point wouldn't be the case here, as we're speaking of a transformation over few decades, whatever assimilation happened in this interval couldn't have been that significant).

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 13:15
They were simply not Romanized. They were Thracian speakers and passed the grammar of the language to Bulgarian language. It's fantasy only for some Romanians
There's no connection between Bulgarian and Thracian languages (there's a thread with Thracian language, you or any Bulgarian is invited to read and decypher those Thracian texts). All what was inherited into Bulgarian is matter of toponymy (like Pulpudeva > Plovdiv), but similarly we have pre-IE toponymy, that doesn't say much about spoken languages. Similarly numerous (if not even more numerous) in Bulgaria is the Romanic toponymy. The grammar of the Thracian is virtually unknown. As such there is no proof that Slavic speakers encountered Thracians and inherited anything from them.

On the other hand, the epigraphic evidence (and I'm not talking about official records, but about personal ones - funerary, votive inscriptions) shows a strong Latin-speaking community in northern Balkans. Please keep in mind that many later Roman and early Byzantine Emperors were born in Balkans. Constantine the Great even called Serdica (today Sofia) "my Rome". To claim that Thracians were not Romanized in Balkans (maybe not fully, but partly they surely were) is against all evidence.

And to see whose fantasy is, can you list me some non-Balkanic scholars claiming the Thracians in the Balkans were not Romanized (or Hellenized)?

Edited by Chilbudios - 30-Aug-2008 at 13:24
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 15:06

Speculation from your side. We have two written sources attesting Peter and Asen to be Vlachs. And most of the scholars (except Bulgarian scholars I don't know of any other suggesting they could have been Bulgarian) concluding they were either Vlach, Cuman (based on the alleged Turkic name of Asen), or Vlacho-Cuman.

Not once I've said that they were from bulgarian origin.
Further more, the official possition of the most prominent bulgarian scolars is that
they are from mixed-barbarian origin. On the other hand, you and your romanian coutry man, went so far to claim the second bulgarian state - wlachian( I see you like
to quote world known historian, so who non-romanina historian/nationalist dares to make such claims?). As I said numerous times in this topic, I don't care what etnicity they were.
The most important thing is that they acted, seeked and took recognition
(by the whole damn medieval world) as a descendants of the Bulgarian empire.

No domestic source has to say anything about who the Asenids were.
I provided analogies multiple times but you ignored them. Is Charles I Robert, the king of the Hungarians, a Hungarian?

I've stated the same over and over again.

The rebellion started in Haemus, which stretches also to eastern Serbia (that is Moesia Superior). There's no more accurate information where the rebellion started.

The rebelion started/or the part of the rebelion that was leaded by the brothers/ after the ceremony in Turnowo, which is in Moesia.  The first goal was to liberate the last bulgarian capital, which is also in Moesia.  So the "million dollar question is" where did the rebelion that concerns us took place, in modernday Serbia or in modernday Bulgaria?

Choniates not only that shows them to be the leaders of the Vlach rebellion, he also tells an episode with Asen speaking Vlach language. You could say it is all circumstantial, but all put together is they are said to be Vlach, to be leading the Vlachs,
to speak Vlach, what else do you want?

I would like to see that.

Why couldn't a Vlach revolt then turn eventually to a Bulgarian state

And do we have the tiniest evidence about a different outcome of the revolt?

Similarly we have a Vlach revolt, we have a Vlacho-Bulgarian empire (tsar of the Vlachs and of the Bulgarians)

Check the title of Justinian for example. Does his title make his empire African-Roman empire?

And to see whose fantasy is, can you list me some non-Balkanic scholars claiming the Thracians in the Balkans were not Romanized (or Hellenized)?

And which non-romanian historian says that the whole thracian population was latinized or Hellenized?
This historical non-sense could be found only in romanian history(I highly doubt this is supported by the official romanian historians, it looks like it is strongly supported by some romanian nationalists on this board):
so after a thousands of years of existing the thracians preserved their culture and language, then after 100-150 years of roman dominance the whole
thracian population was latinized, then after a 1000 years of being part of different societies, they preserved their latin/romanian self-consciousness. And how did they preserved their latin culture, languange etc. through the centuries? Only verbally LOL, cause the first known trace about their latin language is dated in the 16 century.

Edited by czarnian - 30-Aug-2008 at 15:23
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 16:13

There's no connection between Bulgarian and Thracian languages (there's a thread with Thracian language, you or any Bulgarian is invited to read and decypher those Thracian texts). All what was inherited into Bulgarian is matter of toponymy (like Pulpudeva > Plovdiv), but similarly we have pre-IE toponymy, that doesn't say much about spoken languages. Similarly numerous (if not even more numerous) in Bulgaria is the Romanic toponymy. The grammar of the Thracian is virtually unknown. As such there is no proof that Slavic speakers encountered Thracians and inherited anything from them.
There is a proof of common substrate of South Slavonic, Romanian and Albanian languages. It is neither Latin nor Greek. This is what I mean.

On the other hand, the epigraphic evidence (and I'm not talking about official records, but about personal ones - funerary, votive inscriptions) shows a strong Latin-speaking community in northern Balkans.
Sure, there is. There is though many evidences that this language was not extinct, i.e. assimilation didn't happen.

Please keep in mind that many later Roman and early Byzantine Emperors were born in Balkans. Constantine the Great even called Serdica (today Sofia) "my Rome". 
Same Constantine the Great was said to have written a book in his "home language". This "home language" exporession does not mean greek nor latin as usually authors wrote "greek" or "latin" if the meant those languages.

To claim that Thracians were not Romanized in Balkans (maybe not fully, but partly they surely were) is against all evidence.
They sure were partly Romanized, no doubt. Otherwise you couldn't explain existance of present Romanian language. Appart from that idea that Latin speakers were Roman soldiers, which I personally find inconvincing.

Konstantine Josef Jirecek. Wilhelm Tomaschek.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 16:42
Originally posted by czarnian

And which non-romanian historian says that the whole thracian population was latinized or Hellenized?

Basically, Thracians were absorbed into every local culture. Some were Latinized, some were Hellenized, some were Slavized. From these 3 new main Thracian groups, some became Mohammedans and were even Turkified.

The most distinct Thracian group that is a good example of all those mentioned above are the Pomaks. I don't know much about their possition in Bulgaria, but in Greece they want to be called Pomaks and nothing else. They are muslims in majority, but it is a serious insult if you dare to call them Turks. They're mostly Slavic speaking, some Greek speaking and very few Latin speaking. All are bilingual and some are trilingual.

What i'm trying to say is that there's no absolute condition regarding the Thracians. All cases you guys mention are real, but not exclusive for each case. In order to come to a such conclusion we don't need a non-Romanian or non-Bulgarian historian, but common sense.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 16:43

We have a Roman Byzantine Empire (inheriting Roman institutions, traditions even using Latin language for a while as official language) and a Greek Byzantine Empire (sometimes these two overalapped having thus a Greek-speaking Roman empire).
Determine what you mean by Greek Empire. It was an empire populated by many different nations, mostly slavonic in Balkans with usage of Latin and Greek as official languages.

We have no Slavic or Turkish or Arabic Byzantine empires.
There were Slavic, Turkish and Arabic states on lands that earlier belonged to Byzantine Empire. The rest, became what you call Greek Byzantine Empire but these lands more or less correspond to territory inhabited by Greeks for millenias.  

Similarly we have a Vlach revolt, we have a Vlacho-Bulgarian empire (tsar of the Vlachs and of the Bulgarians) and then a Bulgarian empire (tsar of the Bulgarians). We don't know much about its etnography, but I see no argument for your claim that from a Vlach revolt it couldn't develop a Bulgarian empire. Official languages change, official titles change, even the vernacular languages assimilate each other (though this latter point wouldn't be the case here, as we're speaking of a transformation over few decades, whatever assimilation happened in this interval couldn't have been that significant).
We have a revolt for "freedom of Vlach and Bulgarian nations" according to Choniates. This means that people who fought for their freedom were Bulgarians and Vlachs. This is met just in one passage. In the rest of the text he generalizes the term and use "Vlach" as common name for the whole population. Then also he mentioned something about Voulgaroktonos and his ideas what should be done when Vlachs would revolt again. I do not know what did he mean but again it is highly unlikely that Vlachs were that important at his time and there was a Vlach revolt at his time. He (Basyl II) most likely meant Bulgarians whereas Choniates cites this as Vlachs.

And one more thing -- Choniates mentioned that Mysi and Bulgarians had a state earlier. He actually wrote that they had united leadership. I do not remember such united state of Bulgarians and Vlachs with Vlachs participating in ruling of First Bulgharian Tzardom. Although in this particular passage it could be that he mentioned Mysia and Bulgaria (present day Macedonia) in geographical meaning.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 16:45
Originally posted by Flipper

What i'm trying to say is that there's no absolute condition regarding the Thracians. All cases you guys mention are real, but not exclusive for each case. In order to come to a such conclusion we don't need a non-Romanian or non-Bulgarian historian, but common sense.

Clap
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 16:48

We have no Slavic or Turkish or Arabic Byzantine empires.
There were Slavic, Turkish and Arabic states on lands that earlier belonged to Byzantine Empire. The rest, became what you call Greek Byzantine Empire but these lands more or less correspond to territory inhabited by Greeks for millenias.  

The area around Antiochia is considered for example the Arabic part of the Empire. Also, the Seljuks managed to conquer quite early the most eastern parts of it.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 17:01
Originally posted by Flipper

The area around Antiochia is considered for example the Arabic part of the Empire. Also, the Seljuks managed to conquer quite early the most eastern parts of it.

This doesn't contradict to what I've said. Does it?
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 17:08
No not at all...It was an example (as i wrote) based on what you said.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 18:24

Not once I've said that they were from bulgarian origin.
Further more, the official possition of the most prominent bulgarian scolars is that
they are from mixed-barbarian origin. On the other hand, you and your romanian coutry man, went so far to claim the second bulgarian state - wlachian( I see you like
to quote world known historian, so who non-romanina historian/nationalist dares to make such claims?). As I said numerous times in this topic, I don't care what etnicity they were.
I don't think you know much about me or other Romanian scholars. The Romanian scholars like to call the second Bulgarian state as Vlacho-Bulgarian tsardom according to the official title of Ioannitsa. And I only questioned who Peter and Asen were, and eventually what Vlach meant in that epoch.
Also, many Bulgarian scholars (see the overviews made by Robert Lee Wolff or Istvan Vasary) claimed the Asenids to be Bulgarians. Mutafciev or Zlatarski, for instance, claimed that Asenids were Bulgarians, and that Vlach was a way for Byzantines to avoid saying "Bulgarian", like Wolff put it "Bulgarian from that part of Bulgaria no longer called Bulgaria", which is roughly what you and Anton say.

If you don't care what ethnicity they had, or if you suggest they were not Bulgarians why do you keep minimizing the sources saying they were Vlach or try to suggest that when they say they were Vlach, they simply referred to some territory in Balkans (possibly inhabited by Bulgarians, right?)?

The most important thing is that they acted, seeked and took recognition
(by the whole damn medieval world) as a descendants of the Bulgarian empire.

Charlemagne seeked recognition as Imperator Romanorum. Who thinks of him today as a Roman?

I've stated the same over and over again.
But you keep brining these sources like they could say anything about this issue.

The rebelion started/or the part of the rebelion that was leaded by the brothers/ after the ceremony in Turnowo, which is in Moesia.  The first goal was to liberate the last bulgarian capital, which is also in Moesia.  So the "million dollar question is" where did the rebelion that concerns us took place, in modernday Serbia or in modernday Bulgaria?

Not according to Choniates. The revolt started simply in Haemus mountains. They sent some messengers to Kypsalla to emperor, then was the St. Demetrios "church" episode, then we find first localizations - expansion beyond Zygon (I don't where that is, but a Zygos pass is between Thessaly and Epiros in Western Balkans) and the failed assault on Preslav (north-eastern Bulgaria). We do not have any chronology or any details on where and how the revolt spread.

I would like to see that.
See what? Quotes from Choniates?

And do we have the tiniest evidence about a different outcome of the revolt?
Huh?

Check the title of Justinian for example. Does his title make his empire African-Roman empire?
He doesn't have the title of Byzantine emperor, yet why do you we call him one? Historiography gives whatever names sees fits for empires, is not like we claim the names we give now are the official titles from that era.
Your question is also a bit misleading. Roman empire was by definition in that era universalist. However there's no hesitation to mention other joint hegemonies like the Polish-Lithuanian one. True in the latter case we have two distinct polities participating in an union, but on the other hand it is not at all clear how from the Asenids turned from leaders/emperors of the Vlachs (or of the Vlachs and a part of the Bulgarians or of the Vlachs and the Bulgarians) into emperors of the Bulgarians. If it is just a title, it may reflect some political games between factions of Vlach or Bulgarian descent, and that could justify even a temporary (until the reign of Boril) joint-title for this empire given by some historians. But the name of the empire is eventually conventional, this debate was started around the ethnic origin of the Asenids and perhaps about the existence of Vlachs (as in Romance speakers) in 12th century Balkans (I see now there's this trend to minimize the Romanization in Balkans, so to have the smallest possible number of Vlachs in 12th century Bulgaria).

And which non-romanian historian says that the whole thracian population was latinized or Hellenized?[/quote ]But why whole? If most of the Thracians in cities and large valleys were eventually Romanized and only some isolated communities survived in mountains, it is obvious that the former would matter most in the linguistic and cultural contacts.

[quote]so after a thousands of years of existing the thracians preserved their culture and language, then after 100-150 years of roman dominance the whole
thracian population was latinized, then after a 1000 years of being part of different societies, they preserved their latin/romanian self-consciousness. And how did they preserved their latin culture, languange etc. through the centuries? Only verbally , cause the first known trace about their latin language is dated in the 16 century.

First, you should get your history facts straight. The Roman province of Moesia was established in 1st century AD (though conquered in 1st century BC). The Danubian limes fell in 7th century AD. That is roughly 600-700 years of Roman dominance, not 100-150. A new language can be learnt with ease in few years (i.e. not trying too hard), so how much time do you think those Thracians needed to learn Latin? All society around them was speaking Latin, do you think they had much choices? Some isolated communities survived, but so are the Vlachs in today Bulgaria, isolated communities. If they try to participate actively in Bulgarian society sooner or later they'll be assimilated.
Second, why do you care how they did it, just deal with the facts. Isn't Romanian a Romance language? Aren't Vlach from Balkans (Greece, Albania, Bulgaria, Serbia, FYROM) speaking a Romance language? Did they immigrate from Italy or France? If not, where did they get the language from?

Edited by Chilbudios - 30-Aug-2008 at 18:36
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 18:42
Also, many Bulgarian scholars (see the overviews made by Robert Lee Wolff or Istvan Vasary) claimed the Asenids to be Bulgarians. Mutafciev or Zlatarski, for instance, claimed that Asenids were Bulgarians, and that Vlach was a way for Byzantines to avoid saying "Bulgarian", like Wolff put it "Bulgarian from that part of Bulgaria no longer called Bulgaria", which is roughly what you and Anton say. "

No, this is not what I said. I said that Choniates simply didn't care much about ethnicities. Exactly as many other (basically all Byzantine writers did).

(I see now there's this trend to minimize the Romanization in Balkans, so to have the smallest possible number of Vlachs in 12th century Bulgaria).
I do not think your personal justification why people think in this or other ways is fair. I can say equally unfair thing -- there is a tendency to overestimate the level of Romanization of Thracians in order to make largest possible number of Vlachs in 12th century Bulgaria. 

Charlemagne seeked recognition as Imperator Romanorum. Who thinks of him today as a Roman?

No, this is your personal interpretation. The source say -- he claimed to be descendant of the rullers of First Bulgarian Tsardom. Using your words, you are trying to minize sources showing he was Bulgarian. Tongue
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 18:49
If it is just a title, it may reflect some political games between factions of Vlach or Bulgarian descent, and that could justify even a temporary (until the reign of Boril) joint-title for this empire given by some historians.
It's just a second generation of Asenides. They already forgot about this Vlach component in the title.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 18:53

No, this is not what I said. I said that Choniates simply didn't care much about ethnicities. Exactly as many other (basically all Byzantine writers did).
Earlier on this thread you said the phrase of Choniates is suspicious because Mysoi often refers to Bulgarians, and you continuously suggested that Vlach may mean something else than Romance speaker.
I don't know on what grounds you know what exactly Choniates cared about or not, but it seems as long it's not certain that some Vlachs were the ruling dynasty of a Bulgarian empire everything is ok, isn't it?

I do not think your personal justification why people think in this or other ways is fair. I can say equally unfair thing -- there is a tendency to overestimate the level of Romanization of Thracians in order to make largest possible number of Vlachs in 12th century Bulgaria. 
The Romanization happened almost everywhere in the Roman Empire (there are quite a number of Romance languages, aren't there?), and frankly there are today more Romanians than Bulgarians. Where do the Romanians come from?
a) Italian fugitives coming in today Romania somewhere in the 16th century (when the first Romanian language document is known, the older Romanian voivods were obviously Bulgarians for many of them had Slavic names)?
b) there was only a Romanized village in the entire Eastern Europe but they had an extraordinary reproduction rate
c) other suggestions?

No, this is your personal interpretation. The source say -- he claimed to be descendant of the rullers of First Bulgarian Tsardom. Using your words, you are trying to minize sources showing he was Bulgarian
I don't think you got it. Charlemagne thought of himself to be the legitimate continuator of the Roman Emperors. Is Charlemagne a Roman Emperor?

Is any source saying the Asenids were the blood-descendents of the rulers of First Tsardom? That is was about anything else that a political continuation?

It's just a second generation of Asenides. They already forgot about this Vlach component in the title.
Are you sure they forgot? Do you think the Vlachs vanished in few years or what?

Edited by Chilbudios - 30-Aug-2008 at 20:42
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 19:07
Determine what you mean by Greek Empire. It was an empire populated by many different nations, mostly slavonic in Balkans with usage of Latin and Greek as official languages.
An empire where the official language was Greek and in the last centuries was also mostly Greek speaking.

My analogy was on the Byzantine empire as an entity (we were talking about the official titles of the Asenids). I don't know what is the point of these trivial observations when trying to dismiss my point?
Actually many Anatolian populations and Balkanic populations were eventually assimilated by the Greeks (though perhaps the assimilation was not complete, but certainly it had an important degree) in the "territory inhabited by Greeks for millenias".

We have a revolt for "freedom of Vlach and Bulgarian nations" according to Choniates. This means that people who fought for their freedom were Bulgarians and Vlachs. This is met just in one passage. In the rest of the text he generalizes the term and use "Vlach" as common name for the whole population.
Where do you get these from? Choniates clearly states that the revolt was started by the Vlachs from Haemus and eventually spreaded (so it included the Bulgarians). Also he seldom refers to "whole" population, he follows the actions of Peter and Asen, of their armies, messengers, etc.

Then also he mentioned something about Voulgaroktonos and his ideas what should be done when Vlachs would revolt again. I do not know what did he mean but again it is highly unlikely that Vlachs were that important at his time and there was a Vlach revolt at his time. He (Basyl II) most likely meant Bulgarians whereas Choniates cites this as Vlachs.
I quote from Magoulias edition (p. 206): "the soul of Basil the Bulgar-Slayer was aggrieved because the emperor had utterly cast aside his Typikon and all the writings he had lodgen in the Monastery of Sosthenion, among which he had prophesized the revolution of the Vlachs". I don't see the "again" part.

And Vlachs were important enough in 11st centrury so that Kekaumenos wrote about them and we find them having ranks among Byzantine administration. I really doubt Basil II prophetizes such thing and it is most probably a legend circulating in the time of Choniates, but it is not at all implausible he did it.

Edited by Chilbudios - 30-Aug-2008 at 19:58
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 19:10
"I do not think your personal justification why people think in this or other ways is fair. I can say equally unfair thing -- there is a tendency to overestimate the level of Romanization of Thracians in order to make largest possible number of Vlachs in 12th century Bulgaria. "

Not really. Just the notion that the Bulgarians somehow somewhere mingled only or mostly with the "non romanized/hellenized Thracians" and they got their grammar from them is just laughable, unfounded and silly. Nobody wants to make it seem like there is the largest possible number of Vlachs in the 12th century. For what? What do Romanians have to gain from making that up?

=========

As for the rest Chilbudios did a more then splendid job replying to everyone else's comments.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 28>