Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dalmatian language

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dalmatian language
    Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 20:58

Very interesting subject. Classified as Italo-Dalmatian, but seems to be very similar to Romanian to me. Can be considered a bridge between the Eastern and Western Romance languages?

Σαυρομάτης
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 21:13
We have something known as "Istro-Romanians" In Croatia.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 23:34
Dalmatian seems to me like a language between Italian and Romanian. I read some extracts from Bartolli's Das Dalmatische (1906) containing the testimony of one of the latest (or the last, I'm not sure) Dalmatian speakers, a Vegliot speaker (Dalmatian had some dialects/varieties - the Vegliot spoken in northern parts, the one spoken around Zadar a bit more south and the one spoken around Dubrovnik/Ragusa even more south)
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 23:46
Do you have any examples guys? Like comparissons of Dalmatian with Italian and Romanian?

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 23:52
 Post Reply Post Reply