Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Government to pastor: Renounce your faith!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Government to pastor: Renounce your faith!
    Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 22:25
while I do not care what people do with their sex life in the privacy of thier home I strongly believe in the right to free speech and religion. This is sad that Canada no longer has this freedom and it could soon come to the USA if they ever pass the hate speech law on the federal level. This would restrict the freedoms of: Christians, Jews, Muslims and others to express their views on certain moral choices. It is sad to see Canada slip into Soviet style tryranny. Such a law in the USA would not only be an attack upon our constitution but an insult to our founding fathers.
1st Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

A Canadian human rights tribunal ordered a Christian pastor to renounce his faith and never again express moral opposition to homosexuality, according to a new report.

In a decision dated May 30 in the penalty phase of the quasi-judicial proceedings run by the Alberta Human Rights Tribunal, evangelical pastor Stephen Boisson was banned from expressing his biblical perspective of homosexuality and ordered to pay $5,000 for "damages for pain and suffering" as well as apologize to the activist who complained of being hurt.

According to a report from Pete Vere at the Catholic Exchange, the penalty could foreshadow the possible fate of the Rev. Alphonse de Valk, who also cited the biblical perspective on homosexuality in the nation's debate over same-sex "marriage" and now faces HRC charges.

Boisson wrote a letter to the editor of his local Red Deer, Alberta, newspaper in 2002 denouncing the advance of homosexual activism as "wicked" and stating: "Children as young as five and six years of age are being subjected to psychologically and physiologically damaging pro-homosexual literature and guidance in the public school system; all under the fraudulent guise of equal rights."

The activist, local teacher Darren Lund, filed a complaint, and the guilty verdict from Lori G. Andreachuk, a lawyer, was handed down Nov. 30, 2007. The latest decision involved the penalty phase of the trial.

"While agreeing that Boisson's letter was not a criminal act, the government tribunal nevertheless ordered the Christian pastor to [stop expressing his opinion]," Vere reported.

Andreachuk noted that Lund, who brought the complaint, wasn't, in fact, injured.

"In this case there is no specific individual who can be compensated as there is no direct victim who has come forward," she wrote.

However, that did not stop her from ordering the payment anyway.

And as for the future, she wrote:

"Mr. Boissoin and The Concerned Christian Coalition Inc. shall cease publishing in newspapers, by e-mail, on the radio, in public speeches, or on the Internet, in future, disparaging remarks about gays and homosexuals. Further, they shall not and are prohibited from making disparaging remarks in the future about … Lund or … Lund's witnesses relating to their involvement in this complaint. Further, all disparaging remarks versus homosexuals are directed to be removed from current Web sites and publications of Mr. Boissoin and The Concerned Christian Coalition Inc.," the lawyer opined.

Andreachuk also ordered Boissoin to apologize for the original letter in the Red Deer Advocate and told the two "offenders" to pay $5,000.

The apology letter, Vere said, "threatens civil liberties in Canada, according to Ezra Levant, an author and lawyer who himself was targeted by an HRC attack."

"[The] government now believes that if it can't convince a Christian pastor that he's wrong, it will just order him to condemn himself?" Levant wrote on his blog. "Other than tribunals in Stalin's Soviet Union and Mao's China, where is this Orwellian 'order' considered to be justice?"

"This is like a Third World jail-house confession – where accused criminals are forced to sign false statements of guilt," Levant wrote. "We don’t even 'order' murderers to apologize to their victims' families. Because we know that a forced apology is meaningless. But not if your point is to degrade Christian pastors."

"In essence, the Alberta Human Rights Tribunal is ordering to the minister to renounce his Christian faith, since his opposition to homosexuality is based upon the Judeo-Christian Bible," Vere wrote.

WND reported recently about de Valk, the target of a Human Rights Commission case over his biblical references regarding homosexuality.

"Father [de Valk] defended the [Catholic] Church's teaching on marriage during Canada's same-sex 'marriage' debate, quoting extensively from the Bible, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and Pope John Paul II's encyclicals. Each of these documents contains official Catholic teaching. And like millions of other people throughout the world and the ages – many of whom are non-Catholics and non-Christians — Father believes that marriage is an exclusive union between a man and a woman," Vere wrote.

Vere raised the question that Canada now considers morality a "hate crime."

"If one, because of one's sincerely held moral beliefs, whether it be Jew, Muslim, Christian, Catholic, opposes the idea of same-sex marriage in Canada, is that considered 'hate'?" he asked.

Vere wrote that the response he got from Mark van Dusen, a spokesman for the federal human rights prosecution office, shocked him.

The government agent confirmed the agency investigates complaints but doesn't set public policy or moral standards. He said the agency job is to look at the circumstances and decide whether to advance it or dismiss it.

What is shocking about that, Vere wrote, is the admission that unjustified complaints can be dismissed, yet the case against de Valk has continued now for more than six months.

An extended audio recording between Vere and van Dusen is posted on YouTube:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=66704

Edited by eaglecap - 11-Jun-2008 at 22:27
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 00:02
Firstly the lazy journalist keeps using the acronym HRC without defining what that stands for to begin with - sloppy.

Secondly, he only quotes one side of the story, that of the Catholic pastors. The attention he pays to the views of the HRC (Human Rights Commission) is virtually negligable. The report itself is unbalanced.

All that said, I read that all the pastor did was write into the local newspaper and express his disapproval with homosexuality. That in and of itself does not constitute libel  and cannot be reasonably forseen to inspire acts of hate against the homosexual community. So I think he should be allowed to freely express his views.

Originally posted by eaglecap

Such a law in the USA would not only be an attack upon our constitution but an insult to our founding fathers.
1st Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There has never been absolute freedom of speech and religion, though. These things stop once a person breaks other laws or somehow inflicts tangible harm or abuses a trusted position

However, there is a big difference between a private citizen sending his opinion into a local newspaper and a religious figure putting on his ceremonial robes and mounting the altar to incite hate amongst his congregation. The pastor in this case was simply expressing his opinion as a private citizen, which is fine. Governments give religious organisations a tax-free exemption so that they may minister to the spiritual needs of their flock. When religious figures stand before their congregation with all the power and ceremony vested in them and then use that power to manipulate their congregation - that is an abuse of power.

In the same vein, primary school teachers are entitled to hold and express views on which political party they support. But in a classroom of 8 year olds they should do well to keep their views in reserve and not use their position of authority to condition their pupils to adopt those same views verbatim.

Pastors should not in a churchroom congregation attempt to incite hatred, or make pronouncements on the  social and medical matters of which they are both unqualified and largely ignorant. It constitutes an abuse of their power and authority. And the fact of the matter is that many of these religious figures do play a large role in spreading ignorance, bigotry and ultimately in giving a moral excuse for hicks and thugs to go and inflict violence on other members of the community. The tendency for these religious figures to dehumanise and demonise homosexuals, and equate them with drug junkies and paedophiles, is something the church must still be held accountable for.

I don't support the fine against Pastor Boisson, but there are still plenty of individuals out there who abuse their authority and inflict hatred and division on the community as a result. Such individuals should be made accountable for that after fair and judicious consideration of their individual behaviour.

Edited by Constantine XI - 12-Jun-2008 at 00:09
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 00:20
Originally posted by Constantine XI

There has never been absolute freedom of speech and religion, though. These things stop once a person breaks other laws or somehow inflicts tangible harm or abuses a trusted position

However, there is a big difference between a private citizen sending his opinion into a local newspaper and a religious figure putting on his ceremonial robes and mounting the altar to incite hate amongst his congregation. The pastor in this case was simply expressing his opinion as a private citizen, which is fine. Governments give religious organisations a tax-free exemption so that they may minister to the spiritual needs of their flock. When religious figures stand before their congregation with all the power and ceremony vested in them and then use that power to manipulate their congregation - that is an abuse of power.

In the same vein, primary school teachers are entitled to hold and express views on which political party they support. But in a classroom of 8 year olds they should do well to keep their views in reserve and not use their position of authority to condition their pupils to adopt those same views verbatim.

The difference being that pastors are not employees of the state, either directly or indirectly. In the case of Catholic pastors, it is canon law not civil law which determines what they may and may not preach.

Pastors should not in a churchroom congregation attempt to incite hatred, or make pronouncements on the  social and medical matters of which they are both unqualified and largely ignorant. It constitutes an abuse of their power and authority. And the fact of the matter is that many of these religious figures do play a large role in spreading ignorance, bigotry and ultimately in giving a moral excuse for hicks and thugs to go and inflict violence on other members of the community. The tendency for these religious figures to dehumanise and demonise homosexuals, and equate them with drug junkies and paedophiles, is something the church must still be held accountable for.

I don't support the fine against Pastor Boisson, but there are still plenty of individuals out there who abuse their authority and inflict hatred and division on the community as a result. Such individuals should be made accountable for that after fair and judicious consideration of their individual behaviour.

It would be rather fun to see them cuff ol' "Rev." Phelps, but the road to regulating these matters is rather a slippery slope.

I think there is a real difference between inciting hatred and condemning immorality -- one of the most important distinctions between the two hinges upon the same distinction each Christian must make between a sinner and his sin. Christians, as a point of doctrine, must explain the immoral nature of homosexual relations while stretching out loving arms to embrace those who choose to listen, and to continually welcome those who do not.

As for the preaching itself, and the aura of authority that surrounds the priestly office, I suppose that the situation would be best compared -- for the present purposes -- to that of a university professor who speaks and often, whether knowingly or unknowingly, "manipulates [his] congregation". There must surely be a wide latitude when dealing with matters so given to respective areas of erudite specialization.

-Akolouthos
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 00:47
Originally posted by Akolouthos

The difference being that pastors are not employees of the state, either directly or indirectly. In the case of Catholic pastors, it is canon law not civil law which determines what they may and may not preach.

And yet both have an enormous influence of the formative minds of children. Or indeed, over a great many people who are rendered highly impressionable by the confronting aura of the priestly office, which presents itself as a representation for imparting the divine. Both, therefore, must accept they use their power responsibly and not incite social harm or violence.

It would be rather fun to see them cuff ol' "Rev." Phelps, but the road to regulating these matters is rather a slippery slope.

I wonder if Rev. Phelps could be put away for child abuse. Having watched a documentary on how he has systematically indoctrinated his own grandchildren, and caused them near total social isolation, one has to wonder. I feel sorry for those kids, I honestly do.

I think there is a real difference between inciting hatred and condemning immorality -- one of the most important distinctions between the two hinges upon the same distinction each Christian must make between a sinner and his sin. Christians, as a point of doctrine, must explain the immoral nature of homosexual relations while stretching out loving arms to embrace those who choose to listen, and to continually welcome those who do not.

Perhaps we should consider what really is immoral, and qualify it properly. In the same book which condemns homosexuality, not far away is the command to put to death those who eat shellfish, or wear two different types of threads entwined, or children who insult the honour of their parents. What is considered immoral in one context (6th century BC Palestine), may have no practical immorality in today's context.

As for the preaching itself, and the aura of authority that surrounds the priestly office, I suppose that the situation would be best compared -- for the present purposes -- to that of a university professor who speaks and often, whether knowingly or unknowingly, "manipulates [his] congregation". There must surely be a wide latitude when dealing with matters so given to respective areas of erudite specialization.

I am not so sure I agree with this comparison. Priests often preach to assemblies of some of the most psychologically impressionable people in society - including young children, the infirm, those with serious personal problems. University professors, at least in my country, are normally speaking with people who comprise an upper percentile of the student population whose marks indicate they are probably better than average at things such as critical thinking and problem solving. And these students are adults.

Also, the priest gives pronouncements on issues of social and moral concern almost exclusively. And this can be an open door to incitements of misbehavour in the congregation. How many math, biology, engineering, computer science or medical lecturers are placed in a position to impart damaging moral commands and the like to their students? And of those who do such a thing, there is a university disciplinary hierarchy which investigates matters of abuse authority by members of staff.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 01:22

And yet both have an enormous influence of the formative minds of children. Or indeed, over a great many people who are rendered highly impressionable by the confronting aura of the priestly office, which presents itself as a representation for imparting the divine. Both, therefore, must accept they use their power responsibly and not incite social harm or violence.

Agreed. It is morally incumbent upon both to exercise their office properly and in the context of their responsibility. The only thing I would object to is if the government sought to impose this on a religious figure -- which it has no right to do -- in the same way as it would impose it on a teacher -- which it does have the right to do.

I wonder if Rev. Phelps could be put away for child abuse. Having watched a documentary on how he has systematically indoctrinated his own grandchildren, and caused them near total social isolation, one has to wonder. I feel sorry for those kids, I honestly do.

Aye, I'd like to see it, but I don't think it would be legal. I think that part of it is that he has set himself up as one of the staunchest proponents of free-speech. Unfortunately, his hateful antics may eventually convince people that ideological security is more precious than liberty.

Perhaps we should consider what really is immoral, and qualify it properly. In the same book which condemns homosexuality, not far away is the command to put to death those who eat shellfish, or wear two different types of threads entwined, or children who insult the honour of their parents. What is considered immoral in one context (6th century BC Palestine), may have no practical immorality in today's context.

And that, my dear Constantine, is the purpose of having trained theologians. These learned men could cite several reasons, but I'll refer you to a comment I made in referring to the situation with the Anglican bishop Robinson in a separate thread (one which we have actually dialogued in, come to think of it Cheers).

From the "What is a Bishop" thread:

Robinson's statement here is so theologically problematic one has to wonder whether it stems from ignorance of the basic nature of the Law in Christian theology or is simply an attempt to justify his behaviour. The first and most obvious criticism of Robinson's assertion is that the dietary laws and other aspects of the Old Covenant are no longer applicable in the New Testament (see Acts 10). The prohibition against homosexual relations is (see Romans 1).

We could discuss this further, if you wish, but I would prefer to do it in that thread.

I am not so sure I agree with this comparison. Priests often preach to assemblies of some of the most psychologically impressionable people in society - including young children, the infirm, those with serious personal problems. University professors, at least in my country, are normally speaking with people who comprise an upper percentile of the student population whose marks indicate they are probably better than average at things such as critical thinking and problem solving. And these students are adults.

Also, the priest gives pronouncements on issues of social and moral concern almost exclusively. And this can be an open door to incitements of misbehavour in the congregation. How many math, biology, engineering, computer science or medical lecturers are placed in a position to impart damaging moral commands and the like to their students? And of those who do such a thing, there is a university disciplinary hierarchy which investigates matters of abuse authority by members of staff.

Hm. It may be that academia in Australia is quite a different thing from academia here. Here college students are among the most impressionable individuals in the country -- the fact that they are intelligent, ironically exacerbates the problem, especially when they are told how intelligent they are, and how to exercise this intelligence. This is not to accuse all of our academics of deliberate manipulation; it is to state plainly that this is prevalent enough to constitute a kind of institutional problem. And we must remember that many of the people in congregations around the world are adults, while it is debatable how many students at a university could be considered so.

As for the matter of pronouncements on issues of social and moral concern, it happens often over here. The most striking examples may be observed, if you ever get the chance, at any number of pro-life demonstrations on a campus (although other political and social issues do generate a good deal of controversy). And no, our faculty over here is largely self-regulated, either de jure or de facto.

I don't think that strong opinions, either in churches or in academies, incite violence in and of themselves, and this is why I worry about the wide latitude that some have suggested giving government in jumping over the "Wall" and regulating the former.

-Akolouthos
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 18:22
Eaglecap:

is Christianity all about hating homosexuals or loving others? I thought that Christianity was about loving other people.

Maybe the minister has a mistaken idea of what his faith is really about.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 22:48
Could someone please link to what Boisson he actually said that we may evaluate it?

-Akolouthos
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 05:15

Agreed. It is morally incumbent upon both to exercise their office properly and in the context of their responsibility. The only thing I would object to is if the government sought to impose this on a religious figure -- which it has no right to do -- in the same way as it would impose it on a teacher -- which it does have the right to do.

My philosphical take on the relationship between church and state is as follows. Religious organisations are recognised by the state as having a role to play, for which they receive certain recognition and privileges. One of these is that they get off without paying tax on any of their income, and other such breaks as not having to pay land tax on their properties according to it being valued in such a way as other properties are (for example, the government here taxes a piece of land according to an audit which determines its potential to generate income based on where it is).
But I do not think the government simply does this for nothing. The reason religious organisations receive this special privilege is that even though they generate quite a bit of income, there is an understanding that said income then translates into outcomes which allow the religious organisation to minister to the spiritual needs of its congregation. This should be a mutually beneficial arrangement, where both the state as a whole and the congregation benefit.
Where I see a problem is when the religious institution in question disrupts this bargain by using its privileges to cause strife and harm to the community. Some may not think that condemning the actions of law abiding citizens which the state has deemed to be well within their rights (in this case adult homosexual engaging in consensual sex) is anything too terrible, but the truth is that it is a problem. When a man gets up infront of his congregation invested with the authority of a priestly office, carrying a book which dictates homosexuals must die for what the state considers legally blameless activity, and he then rails that their actions are immoral and to be condemned and that the divinity will punish such actions with an eternity in the fires of hell - then it dehumanises people and indicates to the assembled congregation that even the divine power consider the most awful of punishments to be perfectly fitting to be inflicted on these people. To any number of assembled and impressionable people this provides a form of divine justification for whatever bigotry and hatred they may already harbour. Afterall, if God plans to burn these people for eternity who the pastor has clearly outlined as guilty of gross indecency then surely I as an individual have sanction to go beat the heads in of one of them. Why not?
And here lies the problem. Under the guise of condemning immorality, religious figures dehumanise people in the community and imply that gross violence and suffering against those people already has divine sanction. Aside from being in itself reprehensible, it is a break in the philosophical basis which forms the relationship between church and state - mutual support for a common concern for the good of the community. The state sees homosexuals as any other person and blameless - the church undermines that by reinforcing the intolerance, discrimination and violence which it has promoted against these people for millennia.

And that, my dear Constantine, is the purpose of having trained theologians. These learned men could cite several reasons, but I'll refer you to a comment I made in referring to the situation with the Anglican bishop Robinson in a separate thread (one which we have actually dialogued in, come to think of it ).
From the "What is a Bishop" thread:

Robinson's statement here is so theologically problematic one has to wonder whether it stems from ignorance of the basic nature of the Law in Christian theology or is simply an attempt to justify his behaviour. The first and most obvious criticism of Robinson's assertion is that the dietary laws and other aspects of the Old Covenant are no longer applicable in the New Testament (see Acts 10). The prohibition against homosexual relations is (see Romans 1).

We could discuss this further, if you wish, but I would prefer to do it in that thread.

Great, I very much look forward to exploring the theological particulars in that thread Smile

Hm. It may be that academia in Australia is quite a different thing from academia here. Here college students are among the most impressionable individuals in the country -- the fact that they are intelligent, ironically exacerbates the problem, especially when they are told how intelligent they are, and how to exercise this intelligence. This is not to accuse all of our academics of deliberate manipulation; it is to state plainly that this is prevalent enough to constitute a kind of institutional problem. And we must remember that many of the people in congregations around the world are adults, while it is debatable how many students at a university could be considered so

From what I have gathered it does occur to me that students in Australia must rely on academic merit rather than cash to a greater extent than American students. I could cite numerous examples if you like but that is getting a bit off track. As a result of having to work hard to train their critical thinking to gain the upper percentile marks required for university entry, these students are generally better able to consider what is being told to them and form critical judgements as opposed to those in a typical congregation (whose central concern is the concept of faith). Students here are not told how wonderfully smart they are on a continual basis. Instead they are subjected to assignments, exams, tests and various other evaluations by their teachers which continually expose their weaknesses and shortcomings. They may be aware that they score higher than most others on academic tasks, but they are always left in no doubt of their intellectual weaknesses and of the need to improve those. The smug and intellectually complacent get weeded out early on.

Edited by Constantine XI - 15-Jun-2008 at 05:16
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2008 at 21:22

The difference being that pastors are not employees of the state,
either directly or indirectly. In the case of Catholic pastors, it is
canon law not civil law which determines what they may and may not
preach.
I think there is a real difference between inciting hatred and
condemning immorality -- one of the most important distinctions between
the two hinges upon the same distinction each Christian must make
between a sinner and his sin. Christians, as a point of doctrine, must
explain the immoral nature of homosexual relations while stretching out
loving arms to embrace those who choose to listen, and to continually
welcome those who do not.
As for the preaching itself, and the aura of authority that surrounds
the priestly office, I suppose that the situation would be best
compared -- for the present purposes -- to that of a university
professor who speaks and often, whether knowingly or unknowingly,
"manipulates [his] congregation". There must surely be a wide latitude
when dealing with matters so given to respective areas of erudite
specialization.
I am not so sure I agree with this comparison. Priests often preach to assemblies of some of the most psychologically impressionable people in society - including young children, the infirm, those with serious personal problems. University professors, at least in my country, are normally speaking with people who comprise an upper percentile of the student population whose marks indicate they are probably better than average at things such as critical thinking and problem solving. And these students are adults.Also, the priest gives pronouncements on issues of social and moral concern almost exclusively. And this can be an open door to incitements of misbehavour in the congregation. How many math, biology, engineering, computer science or medical lecturers are placed in a position to impart damaging moral commands and the like to their students? And of those who do such a thing, there is a university disciplinary hierarchy which investigates matters of abuse authority by members of staff.

I lost this thread but weighing from the US constitution's First Amendment such a tribunal in the USA would be very unconstitutional. Alhough, there are some who would like to create the same hate law restricting free speech here. This is why I believe in the 2nd Amendment so strongly. I only on a short seg so I will get back with UUU. The threat ot our free speech is real though by Neo cons and progressvie liberals. I will address the other things later when I have time.

http://www.dailynews-record.com/opinion_details.php?AID=29345&CHID=36

New York did the right thing to protect free speech and the press:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.printable&pageId=63124

Edited by eaglecap - 22-Jun-2008 at 04:24
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 04:23
Originally posted by hugoestr

Eaglecap:

is Christianity all about hating homosexuals or loving others? I thought that Christianity was about loving other people.

Maybe the minister has a mistaken idea of what his faith is really about.

Hugoester I am a Deist but I was brought up Lutheran, Greek Orthodox and attended a Baptist elementary school.

I attended a Christian church in my twenties but since then grew past that.

In that period I was taught to love the sinner and not the sin so how is that being hateful? Jesus himself preached against sin and condemned people for their sinful attitudes and actions. Before I attended church I hated homosexuals but they taught me to love them but hate their life style choices but it is a sin no different than any other according to what they believe.

Now, I do not care what someone does as long as it is not with children or animals which I think you'd agree with me on that one. You once accused me of hating the constitution but the US constitution protects freedom of speech and religion unless you would also like to see free speech restricted and the First Amendment tossed out the trash. I would hope not!!
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 05:41

I lost this thread but weighing from the US constitution's First Amendment such a tribunal in the USA would be very unconstitutional. Alhough, there are some who would like to create the same hate law restricting free speech here. This is why I believe in the 2nd Amendment so strongly. I only on a short seg so I will get back with UUU. The threat ot our free speech is real though by Neo cons and progressvie liberals. I will address the other things later when I have time.

http://www.dailynews-record.com/opinion_details.php?AID=29345&CHID=36

New York did the right thing to protect free speech and the press:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.printable&pageId=63124

Sure, free speech is a wonderful part of being in a liberal democracy. But as we had gone into some detail earlier in the thread, there comes a point where a person invested with a substantial amount of power and authority should moderate what they say. I earlier provided the example of a schoolchild and a school teacher for comparison.

For the record I have no problem with the pastor writing into the newspaper as a private citizen and saying what he did, he has every right and I think they have gone too far in punishing him. What I said I had a problem with is when he mounts the alter in his official role as priest (for which he is given economic privileges and powers not enjoyed by laymen) and then uses that role to influence the minds of people under his power, causing them to launch attacks on law abiding members of the community. I gave a full description of my philosophical take on this, I wonder where you stand on that. Comments appreciated.

Before I attended church I hated homosexuals

What on earth for? That's really awful.

Edited by Constantine XI - 23-Jun-2008 at 05:42
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2008 at 01:16

I lost this thread but weighing from the US constitution's First Amendment such a tribunal in the USA would be very unconstitutional. Alhough, there are some who would like to create the same hate law restricting free speech here. This is why I believe in the 2nd Amendment so strongly. I only on a short seg so I will get back with UUU. The threat ot our free speech is real though by Neo cons and progressvie liberals. I will address the other things later when I have time. http://www.dailynews-record.com/opinion_details.php?AID=29345&CHID=36 New York did the right thing to protect free speech and the press: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.printable&pageId=63124

Sure, free speech is a wonderful part of being in a liberal democracy. But as we had gone into some detail earlier in the thread, there comes a point where a person invested with a substantial amount of power and authority should moderate what they say. I earlier provided the example of a schoolchild and a school teacher for comparison.

For the record I have no problem with the pastor writing into the newspaper as a private citizen and saying what he did, he has every right and I think they have gone too far in punishing him. What I said I had a problem with is when he mounts the alter in his official role as priest (for which he is given economic privileges and powers not enjoyed by laymen) and then uses that role to influence the minds of people under his power, causing them to launch attacks on law abiding members of the community. I gave a full description of my philosophical take on this, I wonder where you stand on that. Comments appreciated.

Before I attended church I hated homosexuals

What on earth for? That's really awful.

The only thing a Priest, Pastor or Reverend cannont do in the USA is endorse a political view or politician, otherwise, they could lose their tax free status. Even though Canada is only a short drive from me I do not know what their laws are but I find no problem in him expressing his moral views as a clergy. The one thing I know is these thought police have zero tolerance for the views of certain religions or political views. The Bible speaks out against homosexuality but only the choice and not the people so it is his job to stand up for morality or his interpretation of it. We may not agree with them but it is a fundemental right. Who decides what is hate speech? I, for certain, do not trust the government to this task but the Canadian government has made this its job. I hope Americans have the guts to resist such draconian laws at all costs. I respect your view but for my nation I differ.

Interesting piece in relations to Canada hate speech laws.
Anyone Care about Free Speech?

EDMONTON SUN: The tragedy of the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal's case against Mark Steyn and Maclean's magazine over alleged "hate" mongering because of Steyn's views on Islam is that most people don't give a damn.

Oh, many sympathize with Steyn because the issue seems so silly, but most don't see the destructive effect of hate legislation, or how it threatens our freedom.

Of all the benefits embodied in our county, free speech is -- or should be -- among the most precious. Without the freedom to express opinions on any matter, we cease being a free society. The implications are as simple as that. Anyone Care about Free Speech? >>> By Peter Worthington | June 23, 2008

http://librabunda.blogspot.com/

Also
Political Correctness and Censorship

THE NATIONAL POLICY INSTITUTE: Today, the true believers in Islam and the true believers in diversity uber alles are making common cause against those who believe in freedom of speech and the press

Freedom of the press is on trial in Canada.

The trial is before a court with the Orwellian title of the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal. The accused are Maclean’s magazine and author Mark Steyn. The crime: In mocking and biting tones, they wrote that Islam threatens Western values.

Had Steyn written that, given the Crusades, colonial atrocities in Africa and the slave trade, Christianity had been on balance a curse, he would not be in the dock. In the United States, these charges would have been tossed out by any federal judge, who would have admonished the plaintiffs that, here in America, we have a First Amendment.

The United States, however, is an isolated exception, as western nations seek to impose wider restrictions on what has come to be called “hate speech.” Political Correctness and Censorship >>> By Patrick J Buchanan | June 23, 2008

The Dawning of a New Dark Age – Dust Jacket Hardcover, direct from the publishers
The Dawning of a New Dark Age – Paperback, direct from the publishers
Labels: "hate speech", Canada, censorship, freedom of speech, Patrick J Buchanan, political correctness

posted by Mark at 11:17 PM links to this post

On Islamophobia

INTERNATIONAL ANALYST NETWORK: The primary goal of Islamic terrorists is to instill fear in people. People can be defined as a single individual, groups of people, or entire nations. On 11 Sept. 2001, Islamic terrorists attacked America. The terrorists achieved their number one and two goals. First they instilled fear in the lives of innocent people. Second they caused major economic losses and continue to do so to our country.

Until 11 Sept. 2001, most non-Muslims had little opinion as to what religion people chose to be, nor did it concern most Americans that Islam in America and throughout the world is spreading. The murder of almost 3000 innocent lives by Al Qaeda and their supporters changed everything. The cheering by thousands of Muslims throughout the world after the attack left most Americans bewildered.

The word 'Islamophobia' came into being after 11 Sept. 2001. CAIR and other puppet organizations of Saudi Arabia want non-Muslims to believe the actions by a few 'radical' Muslims does not represent Islam. Most non-Muslims understand there are peaceful Muslims, but slowly non-Muslims are beginning to understand the vast majority of Islamic scholars and organizations such as CAIR are not the peaceful Muslims they try to make people believe they are. Islamophobia and CAIR >>> By Dave Gaubatz | June 22, 2008
 Post Reply Post Reply