Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solving the West's immigration issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solving the West's immigration issue
    Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 09:35
In the current US presidential election as well as virtually every election that took place in Europe in the last 10 years, immigration has been a key issue. What do you think, should the West open its doors or barricade itself behind walls topped by barred wire?

One thing is for sure, nothing will ever prevent illegal immigrants from getting where a job could help themselves and their family survive. After all, there are illegal immigrants in Australia – a island with shark-infested oceans all around! To prevent illegal immigration, the state ought to often destroy civil liberties (limitation of tourist visas, inquiries into people's marriage, disruption of trade, etc.).

On top of that fighting against illegal immigration is very expensive. The US government is constructing a fence in the middle of the desert (!) and the EU has to deploy several warships in the Mediterranean sea in peacetime (!!). A total waste of taxpayers' money.

Illegal immigration is also an important source of revenue for organized crime. Illegals are often forced to carry drugs to pay for their trip. They are also particularly vulnerable to all forms of violence and illegal women are often forced into prostitution rings.

So the logical option seems to be: free immigration. No more waste government funds, no more Mexican dying of thirst in the desert, no more African drowning in the Med, no more illegals to be afraid, no more useless suffering.

That's usually the liberals' point of view. But the populists and conservatives often answer that immigration legal or otherwise costs a lot of money. Migrants tend to have large families, they often put the public amenities (hospitals, education, etc.) under huge stress.  Whatever money is spent on preventing illegal immigration is actually an investment that benefit the poorer classes of the host country.

Governments thus have to make a dramatic choice: pauperize a bit more the poorer classes of their country or let hundred of foreigners starve, drown and who knows what other awful death.

But this decision is necessary only because the system is fundamentally flawed. Consider that: legal immigration is very difficult but very cheap, on the other hand illegal immigration is very simple but very expensive. An African or a Chinese coming to illegally Europe will often pay thousands of US dollars for the trip, he has no guaranty of arriving alive and he will face less than perfect conditions once in the host country (no legal protection, always under the threat of being brought back to his country, etc.). This money goes directly to organized crime and does not benefit the host country.

Imagine for a second that the 15 millions of illegals in the USA had paid, say, $10,000 to get in to the US government, the state would be $150 bn richer!!! That's one year in Iraq! And this does not includes the taxes these legal migrants would have paid. All in all, that's maybe 20 bn lost every year by the US government, not including all the money that would be saved from not hunting down illegal aliens.

This idea is almost too good to be true. Of course politicians have thought about it. It is in essence what was proposed by the Immigration Bill of McCaine and Kennedy a few years ago. But opposition at the time had proved so strong that the bill wasn't passed and nobody spoke about it afterward. Why?

Because immigration is not only an economic issue but also a cultural one. Americans are afraid of becoming citizens of a Latin America country the same way as Europeans fear that their continent will be overtaken by islamists any time soon.

Of course, part of the money could be invested in giving language classes to the new comers for them to adapt quickly to their new environment, the way Quebec does, but I doubt it would change the anti-migrant leaning of most western public opinions.

Ultimately, the one and only element that prevents a smooth resolution of the immigration issue is racism.
I am a free donkey!
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 13:36
I'm not against immigration, it's what my country is all about. But I am against Illegals. They are people we know nothing about, crime is a problem with them since many of them end up turning to it, they bring down the wages of other American's notably the  minorities which is why African Americans are so against it, and they are unsafe, in their own home, and as I have expierenced, on job sites.
In their own homes, they could have a few families living in one small apartment. Examples I've seen had wires running every which way inside, and they don't live in the best conditions.
Job sites, they want to move fast, thats why they are hired. Their skills are lacking, and due to their speed they are a threat to those around them. They almost killed one of my bosses a couple years ago when they dropped a 2x4 off a roof that landed just infront of him as he was reading the site plans. Luckily it only broke his 200 dollar level and not his skull.
The worst part his they didn't give any warning, probably because they didn't know how to communicate with us.

I've met a couple of Illegals, they are very nice people, I just don't agree with why they game. I remember one that I always tried to talk to, he told me that in his country he can go to the University for free and he plans to go back to follow up on that. He didn't understand why the US didn't have free advanced schooling. After he told me that, I didn't understand why Illegals came here if they could get free schooling. I believe he said he wanted to become a Engineer, the US Government would have paid and imported him and he would have been better off then most Americans if he was in the right field and good at it.

Anyways, immigration is fine with me, but something has to be done about Illegals. Thats why there are laws and borders. Though, I wouldn't mind if everyone passed through our current borders without permission so long as all the countries of their origin submit to the rule and laws of the US. Thats my trade off.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 15:32
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Ultimately, the one and only element that prevents a smooth resolution of the immigration issue is racism.
This is an attempt to simplify a very complex problem.  Host nations can and must control immigration for a variety of reasons including:
-Economic (any social / economic / governmental infrastructure can be overwhelmed by sheer numbers)
-Social (All nations must have a common cultural reference point. Too much cultural relativism invites stife)
-Stability / Security (Despite the globalist propaganda, we are instinctualy tribal as a species. Millions of unassimilated immigrants and native born will naturally form new "nations" in the pre existing nations and thus lead to inevitable conflicts) 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 17:26
I'm not against immigration, it's what my country is all about. But I am against Illegals.

People are not immigrating illegally for fun. If they migrate illegally instead of legally that usually means they are not able to migrate legally. The best solution against illegal immigration therefore is making legal immigration easier.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 19:25
Some countries may have the feeling they are overwhelmed by immigration. Malta for instance has only 200,000 inhabitants and something like 10,000 illegals parked in a camp plus an unknown number arriving every day. That is called being overwhelmed, on the other hand the US have less than 5 inhabitants per squared kilometer, they won't be overwhelmed any time soon.

More seriously, most of the issues pointed out early arise from the fact that these immigrants are illegal. They are very real but would be solved by the plan I was talking about in my first post, lets call it: pay as you go.
I am a free donkey!
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 19:42
People are not immigrating illegally for fun. If they migrate illegally instead of legally that usually means they are not able to migrate legally. The best solution against illegal immigration therefore is making legal immigration easier.
From the South of Our border, thousands pour in every month. I doubt many of them even bother trying.
Besides, what would be the easier way? We can't just open up a red carpet and let them in, we have to know their history, who they are, and where they are from. Then we have to make them US citizens, these things take time. I had to way awhile just to get my driver's license, I would imagine citizenship and getting them official documents such as social security numbers take alittle longer, and thats after background checks.

That seems to be the one arguement, well, make the system better. How do you do that? Your taking a person with a history in another country and making them a citizen of another, you can't just snap your fingers and it's done. It cost money to hire the various people to do it, and their is a waiting list the way it is now. It's not a easy solution, and the problem really is Illegals because they can't better their own country appearantly. Why do we have to fork over the money to make it easier to get it?
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 20:44
I honestly do not think that the US has any problem with immigrants. I mean, it's an immigrant country from the beginning. It's just a matter of mentality.

My opinion is help to build up third world countries in a sufficient lvl, so that people do not have to leave them.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 20:49
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

I'm not against immigration, it's what my country is all about. But I am against Illegals.

Same logic could be used about many thefts and murders as well.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 21:11
I have no idea what is the percentage of illegal immigrant with a criminal record in their country, but I bet it is fairly low. Besides, the proposal has never been: lets open the doors wide and let in whoever wants to come. It is a pay-as-you-come scheme.

Besides, the system nowadays is truly flawed as hard-working law-abiding immigrants are rounded up in their workplace whereas these are precisely those who create the least problems.

Besides, illegal immigration is not a crime, it is more like an administrative misdemeanour nothing to do with rape and murder.
I am a free donkey!
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 21:13
Illegal immigration is a crime because is illegal there is a law and any citizen must obey the law.
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 21:24
I have no idea what is the percentage of illegal immigrant with a criminal record in their country, but I bet it is fairly low. Besides, the proposal has never been: lets open the doors wide and let in whoever wants to come. It is a pay-as-you-come scheme.
Whats the point of borders then? Are you a NAFTA supporter?
Besides, the system nowadays is truly flawed as hard-working law-abiding immigrants are rounded up in their workplace whereas these are precisely those who create the least problems.
They maybe hardworking, but they already broke the law knowing full well of that, on top of that, they usually aren't the most skilled, just the cheapest paid. And thats from expierence in the Trades.
Besides, illegal immigration is not a crime, it is more like an administrative misdemeanour nothing to do with rape and murder.
So it's ok to steal from others? I mean, it's not rape or murder? With that kind of arguement, maybe we should just turn to anarchy?

By the way, they do steal. Quite a few Hospitals in California were shut down due to illegals. Thats stealing Health care and even the chance to live for those who already lived here. No one can foot the bill for the hospitals. Thats another reason we can't just "open our borders", we need people to be documented. It's not as easy as you'd like it to be when there's a established system and infrastructures set in place.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 22:00
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Because immigration is not only an economic issue but also a cultural one. Americans are afraid of becoming citizens of a Latin America country the same way as Europeans fear that their continent will be overtaken by islamists any time soon.

Curious, in Chile which is a Latin American country, chileans are very afraid of becoming citizens of an America-like country LOL...

Americans should be honest in saying things, though. Rather than talking so much about "illegal" immigrants (I always say legal immigants are quite inexistent), they should say loud and clear, like in the old cantinas of the Far West:

"No Mexican is welcome"

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 22:30
Well, I won't comment on illegal immigration in specific.

I personally support immigration as it makes the economy stronger, increases the labour force and generally makes a (western) country "bigger".

However, I do think that in order one country not to be overwhelmed, it should take serious measures to increase the birth rates of its own nation.

The problem is very evident in my country (Greece), because from 1991 to 2001 (census' years) the total population has increased, but the greek population has decreased, and is constantly decreasing. Both Greece and Cyprus receive lots of immigrants, while their birth rates are below 2 children per woman. In 2004, Greece had some 105,000 births, of which 89,000 were greeks and 16,000 were alliens.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 22:41
The myth about both the fear and the reality of America becoming a Latin American country is far exaggerated.  This myth is particularly beleived in the southwest of the US where most Mexican/Guatamalan/Salvadorian immigration has been experienced.

Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and to some degree Colorado (and to a lesser degree Nevada) have long had Latinos as sizeable parts of their population.  However, Anglo whites had been flooding those states for the last fifty years!  LOL 

Asian immigrants, in smaller numbers, have also impacted the population of California.  California has more people than many countries, and I don't think migrant agricultural workers are going to tip any balance.  Arnold Schwarzenegger is an immigrant, and he is not Hispanic. 

Mexicans are welcome, as are most immigrants, if they are legal immigrants.  Native Americans make up about 2% of the US population.  That means the vast majority of the rest of the 98% of us came from somewhere else.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 09-Jun-2008 at 23:00
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 23:34
Be fair. Deport Schwarzenegger! His performance as an actor deserves that punishment... Wink
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 23:50

Immigration won't be a particularly big issue this campaign. Mc Cain and Obama both support an enlightened immigration policy and the redneck partisans of deporting a population larger than Switzerland will play little influence in this Presidential election because of the two candidates. It will probably decide a few house seats, but the Dems seem to be in for a massive landslide this election in all areas of government (Except the tight presidential race) so I think the fear mongering semi-racist demogogues will play little part in this overall election.

On the other hand, immigration is a big issue for Europe and USA. The US has a long history of massive immigration; it seems they only disagree with the current influx because they are brown, and not good white Europeans (Though this is not to say the great waves of white immigration didn't meet opposition from nativists previously) The fact is, these immigrants do the jobs the native peoples aren't willing to do, and they are needed.

The biggest problems lie in the effect it will have on trade unionism. The hard earned concessions the Unions have earned over the years will begin to diminish as the pool of ready and willing workers' grow.

Here in Ireland, the immigration issue is consigned largely to the right wing tabloid press and the working class areas of the cities and countryside. Most of all we are happy with the influx of guest workers (Half of our Poles have left already), but I worry what we would be like if we had of seen an influx of black people instead of white Europeans. Unlike the Brits largely were(are), Irish people tend to be casually racist, and this would create bigger problems.
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 01:14
Originally posted by pinguin

Be fair. Deport Schwarzenegger! His performance as an actor deserves that punishment... Wink

Hey, Arnold was cool! 

"The greatest satisfaction is to crush your enemies, to drive them before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women." (Conan the Barbarian)

He vill alvays be baaack!.  LOL

Actually, he has been a very effective governor of "Cal-ee-for-nee-ah."

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 01:42
Illegal immigration is a victim-less crime. Nothing to do with rape and murder nor indeed theft.

Crossing a border illegally to seek employment is really no big deal. You don't kill any one to do so. True enough you are breaking the law but so are you when crossing the streets out of where you are supposed to or taking you girlfriend from behind in Texas… No big deal.

Even if it was a crime, it would actually be close from stealing to feed your family. Not good but frankly you don't want to see the other alternative. I mean we can't seriously consider Robin Wood a hero and blame illegal migrants.

What happens next is a true Catch 22 situation: they are not allowed to work legally (ie pay taxes) but they are criticized for benefiting from public goods without paying for it through the tax system… Kafkaesque to say the least.

Having them pay to come in is a good way to solve that propostrous situation, they would start paying taxes and would benefit from public goods and services.
I am a free donkey!
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 01:48
The Mc Cain-Kennedy-Bush plan was the best; grant the current illegals a path to citizenship and tighten the borders at the same time. It is truly ridiculous to suggest that 12 million people should be deported. The cost of such an operation would be massive on the tax payer and terrible for the economy, by lifting 12 million workers out of their jobs. Fruit would be left unpicked, Mc Donalds left unserved... There would be anarchy!
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 01:48
Maharbbal:

If immigrants are here illegally, victimless or not, why should they benefit from public services in any way?

A jaywalking citation does not carry a corresponding cost to the public fisc.

There is a perception, justified or not, that Mexico does not do more to restrict illegal immigration, indeed encourages it,  because it passes off social welfare costs to the gringos.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 10-Jun-2008 at 01:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>