Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indo-European, Yenisseian, Altaic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indo-European, Yenisseian, Altaic
    Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 20:14
I'm sorry, I can't help you with Slavic 'daga'...maybe it should have 'z'/'zh' instead of 'g'?? Then it could mean 'rain'. I've noticed this consonant shift in a few words.

PGmc 'kuningaz'....PSlv 'kunedzi'
PGmc 'kwenon'.....in Slavic languages 'žena', OCS 'zena' (both probably from PIE 'gwen')
PGmc 'gulth'.....in Slavic 'zloto'/'zoloto'/'zlato' (PIE 'ghol' meaning yellow, green)

But I don't know about any 'daga' connected to sky, heaven.

What about your copula ('to be'), to discuss the grammar?? How do you use it in Turkic languages?

Do you say it like IE 'my horse IS green' or like in Arabic 'my horse green'??

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 20:26
Originally posted by Slayertplsko

That's wrong again. And you have well proved that you don't think!

Firstly, your source again support us - they say that 'hengest' means stallion, not 'follow'. You even wrote this part in bolds here!
As for the name Hengest, it says it comes from the word for 'stallion'. That's normal, that's how the names emerge. For instance, Charles comes from the germanic word for 'freeman' (ceorl in OE). Or do you wanna say that 'Vladimir' predates the words 'vladar' and 'mir'??

As for the hanger-on - this is...OMG!!
It's a compound of 'on' and 'hanger', and the latter is a noun created from the verb 'hang'. I think it's obvious, I can't even imagine how you could link those two. Cyrus, start to think.
It is obvious both words come from Old English verb "hengan" which means "to hang on, to depend on, to rely on", I don't say "henchman/hengestman" never means "horseman", there are several words which have different meanings from different origins but we are discussing a word which means "follower/dependant", "Hengest" could mean "Stallion" but why not "the most dependent"(henge+-est)?
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 20:43
It is obvious both words come from Old English verb "hengan" which means "to hang on, to depend on, to rely on", I don't say "henchman/hengestman" never means "horseman", there are several words which have different meanings from different origins but we are discussing a word which means "follower/dependant", "Hengest" could mean "Stallion" but why not "the most dependent"(henge+-est)?
Simply because it didn't mean that when it was used. Words change with time. Wyrd used to mean fate, now it has a different meaning of out of the ordinary and is spelled Weird.
It seems the Scotish were the ones who made it into something other then someone who attends horses, and it was more modern writters who furthered it if we are to believe wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henchmen read the etymology of it there, I provided it in my previous post for you too.

By the way, I can't find the Old English word hengAn, but I did find HengEn which means: hanging; cross; rack, torture; imprisonment

Edited by SearchAndDestroy - 09-Jun-2008 at 20:46
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 20:51

Well, I don't know about shift from "g" to "zh" in Indo-European; but in Altaic, if that "z/zh" is a later change from "sh/ch", so that's possible to consider this case, because "g/K" can change into "sh/ch". What about "doga"? Isn't there anything like "doga" in Slavic?

Anyhow, about "to be":

Almost all modern languages (of Altaic family) use "to be" the Indo-European style. There are a couple of "to be" roots:

1- Proto-Altaic "biyu" (exactly means "be")

2- Proto-Altaic "era" (is used with suffixes; "to be")

For instance, Turkic "men-yng (or "menym") at-ym yashyl erken (or "eken") " = my horse is green.

Edited by gok_toruk - 09-Jun-2008 at 20:54
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 20:58
The verb is 'hangian'. Hengest can be found in almost every Germanic language, so it's much older than OE.

'heng' is past 3rd singular of 'hón' (past participle is 'hangen'), which means to hang, to crucify. 'hengen' means a rack, cross, torture, imprisonment. 'henge' means 'hanging'/'hängend' (pres.part.) according to Koebler.

'hengest' is stallion, gelding, horse...simply horse.

I can't find anywhere anything else than horse.
Now, that's not a bad point henge+est, but:
1, have you ever seen -est added to a participle?
2, since it's common Germanic, it would have to be created at least in PGmc and the form is 'khangistas'
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 21:01
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Well, I don't know about shift from "g" to "zh" in Indo-European; but in Altaic, if that "z/zh" is a later change from "sh/ch", so that's possible to consider this case, because "g/K" can change into "sh/ch". What about "doga"? Isn't there anything like "doga" in Slavic?

Anyhow, about "to be":

Almost all modern languages (of Altaic family) use "to be" the Indo-European style. There are a couple of "to be" roots:

1- Proto-Altaic "biyu" (exactly means "be")

2- Proto-Altaic "era" (is used with suffixes; "to be")

For instance, Turkic "men-yng (or "menym") at-ym yashyl erken (or "eken") " = my horse is green.

About 'doga', well it's a race of canine and it's quite international I think.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 21:03
DOGA!!!
Yeeees....rainbow, it didn't occur to me, and it's so simple OMG (maybe it's because I haven't seen a rainbow for years)LOL

dúha in Slovak, I don't know about southern and eastern branch, but I would bet they have G instead of H there - it's a common difference.

Edited by Slayertplsko - 09-Jun-2008 at 21:06
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 05:31
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

English First relates to Avestan fraeshta (Avestan Dictionary) and Middle Persin Frast which however means "first" too but originally means "foremost". 

I question that. Do you have a source?  In  Scandinavian there are different: först, which means and is pronouced like first, and främst, which means foremost, and relates to "being in front".

Persian -> English
Beh -> Good/Well
Behtar -> Better
Behest (Behtarin) -> Best
Behbeud -> Well-being
Behdar -> Well-doer
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 06:43

Originally posted by Slayertplsko

That's wrong again. And you have well proved that you don't think!Firstly, your source again support us - they say that 'hengest' means stallion, not 'follow'. You even wrote this part in bolds here!As for the name Hengest, it says it comes from the word for 'stallion'. That's normal, that's how the names emerge. For instance, Charles comes from the germanic word for 'freeman' (ceorl in OE). Or do you wanna say that 'Vladimir' predates the words 'vladar' and 'mir'??As for the hanger-on - this is...OMG!!It's a compound of 'on' and 'hanger', and the latter is a noun created from the verb 'hang'. I think it's obvious, I can't even imagine how you could link those two. Cyrus, start to think.

One problem Cyrus, hengan isn't to be found in an Old English Dictionary. There is the verb hegan (to preform, achieve; hold a meeting)1, the nouns hengen (hanging, cross, rack, torture, imprisonment) and hengest, hengst [both fall under the same dictionary entry] (stallion, steed, horse, gelding)2. The Old English verb that means to hang is actually hón and it means to hang, suspend, crucify, put on (clothes)3, 4. With this linguistic evidence how can you say that Hengest means hanger-on or follower? The simple fact of the matter is that there is no evidence to support what you are saying. In fact the evidence points to the contrary as other members have pointed out. Where are you getting your information from? It is clearly very flawed. Will you please stop corrupting language evidence to show things that the evidence doesn't support. Especially when it is so easy to prove your claims to be utterly preposterous and totally incorrect.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 08:35

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

English First relates to Avestan fraeshta (Avestan Dictionary) and Middle Persin Frast which however means "first" too but originally means "foremost". 

I question that. Do you have a source?  In  Scandinavian there are different: först, which means and is pronouced like first, and främst, which means foremost, and relates to "being in front".

Persian -> English
Beh -> Good/Well
Behtar -> Better
Behest (Behtarin) -> Best
Behbeud -> Well-being
Behdar -> Well-doer

Thanks.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 15:45
http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/etymology.cgi?single=1&basename=/data/ie/piet&text_number=2932&root=config

Proto-Germanic: *xánxan-/xangán- vb, *xangḗn- vb., *xangián- vb.; *xanxitjan- vb., *xanxaskēn, *xánxitōn

Meaning: hang

IE etymology:

Gothic: *hahan st. `hang, keep in suspense'; fɔr(a)-hah n. (a) `curtain'

Old Norse: hanga st. `hangen'; hǟtta wk. `Gefahr laufen, wagen', hǟtta f. `Gefahr', hāski m. `Gefahr'; hengja wk. `hängen'

Norwegian: hanga vb.; hätta sbs., vb.; hengja vb.

Swedish: hänga vb. tr., itr.; dial. häta; dial. häjta vb.; (ält.) hask(e)lig `grässlich', dial. haskeli `schrecklich'

Danish: hänge vb.; hätte sbs., vrb.; hände vb.

Old English: hōn; hangian; hengan `hängen'

Old Frisian: hūa; hangia

Old Saxon: hāhan; hangon

Dutch: { gehengen `erlauben' }

Old High German: hāhan; hangēn; hengen

Middle High German: hāhen red. v. (prt. hinc, hie) tr. 'hängen', intr. 'hangen'; hangen st. intr. 'hangen'; hɛngen wk. 'hangen lassen; nachjagen, nachhängen'; vür-hanc st. m. `curtain'

German: { hangen; hängen }
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 18:18

Back to topic again:

Proto-Yenisseian: aj
Meaning: I

Ket: at
Kottish: ay
Arin: ay

Proto Indo-European: ???
English: I

Notes: Could anyone please give the Proto-Indo-European form?

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 18:20

Proto – Altaic: bi

Meaning: 1st person pronoun

a) I

Proto-Turkic: be- 
Modern Turkic: men, ben
Mongolian: bi, miniy, meni
Tungus-Manchu: bi, bu
Proto-Japanese: ba
Old Japanese: wa
Hateruma (of Modern Japanese): banu

English: me
German: mir
French: moi

b) we

Proto-Turkic: bi-r
Meaning: we
Modern Turkic: biz, e-byr, miz 
Mongolian: bide
Tungus-Manchu: mes, mit, buta, biti

English: we
German: wir

Notes: 

Edited by gok_toruk - 10-Jun-2008 at 19:23
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 18:20
Cyrus, hón and hengan are not different verbs. Hengan is the past participle form of hón. Hangian on the other hand is an intr. verb meaning to hang, be hanged; depend, rest on; (as a trans verb) hang, suspend. By the way you still didn't answer my question.

Edited by King John - 10-Jun-2008 at 18:25
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 18:22

Proto – Altaic: si

Meaning: thou

Proto-Turkic: se-
Modern Turkic: sen
Tungus-Manchu: si
Old Japanese: si

Proto-Yenisseian: ʔaw
Arin: au
Yugh: u
Pumpokol: ue

Proto Indo-European: te, tu
Hittite: ti- (your)
Old Indian: te
Armenian: du
Old Greek: sü
Slavic: ti
Baltic: tu, -tei

Notes: 

Edited by gok_toruk - 10-Jun-2008 at 18:29
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 18:46
What does 'hengan' mean? Hängen has different meanings in German, it has even different past and past participle forms. But 'hängen' itself doesn't mean 'to depend on' (in the meaning of condition or cause...this idiomatic meaning is attested first from 1413), that's 'abhängen (von jemandem/etwas - someone/something)', which has a few meanings as well. Hanger-on is from 1549.

Both 'depend' and 'hang' originally meant 'to suspend'/'to be suspended', and the chande in meaning came much later.

Still, 'henge' is a participle and doesn't go with -est to my knowledge, and means 'hanging' and is the present participle of 'hangian' ('hengan' too??).

Old Teutonic form is 'hangjan', but the stallion has an 'x' in the beginning.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 18:53

Back to topic again:

Proto-Yenisseian: aj
Meaning: I

Ket: at
Kottish: ay
Arin: ay

English: I

Notes: Could anyone please give the Proto-Indo-European form?

The English form is originally ic, I appeared first after the Norman invasion.

PIE: h₁eǵ, Latin ego, PGmc eka, Gothic ik, Old Norse ek, Icelandic ég, Norwegian jeg, Swedish jäg (?), German ich...and so on

Slavic ja, French je, Spanish yo, Italian io

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 18:57

Proto – Altaic: bi

Meaning: 1st person pronoun

a) I

Proto-Turkic: be- 
Modern Turkic: men, ben
Mongolian: bi, miniy, meni
Tungus-Manchu: bi, bu
Proto-Japanese: ba
Old Japanese: wa
Hateruma (of Modern Japanese): banu

English: me
German: mir
French: moir

b) we

Proto-Turkic: bi-r
Meaning: we
Modern Turkic: biz, e-byr, miz 
Mongolian: bide
Tungus-Manchu: mes, mit, buta, biti

English: we
German: wir

Notes: 

SG:
English 'me' is an objective form, German 'mir' is dative form, French should be 'moi', and it's a disjunctive form.

PL: PIE: wei
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 19:01

Proto – Altaic: si

Meaning: thou

Proto-Turkic: se-
Modern Turkic: sen
Tungus-Manchu: si
Old Japanese: si

Proto-Yenisseian: ʔaw
Arin: au
Yugh: u
Pumpokol: ue

Proto Indo-European: te, tu
Hittite: ti- (your)
Old Indian: te
Armenian: du
Old Greek: sü
Slavic: ti
Baltic: tu, -tei

Notes: 

PIE form is tuH.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 19:25
I made a mistake in typing about French "moi". Thanks Slayertplsko for the corrections.

Edited by gok_toruk - 10-Jun-2008 at 19:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>