Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indo-European, Yenisseian, Altaic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indo-European, Yenisseian, Altaic
    Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 10:45

Here are some examples: 

Proto – Altaic: algi
Meaning: net, sieve

Proto-Turkic: elge (to sift)
Modern Turkic: elge, ele – elgek, elek (sieve)

Proto-Tungus-Manchu: alga (net)
Manchu: algan
Nanai: alga

---------

Proto – Altaic: aybi
Meaning: a kind of duck

Proto-Turkic: ebü-r-(d)ek
Modern Turkic: ewürdek, ördek

Proto-Tungus-Manchu: abu
Even: awulduqa

---------

Proto – Altaic: ani
Meaning: not, negative verb

Proto-Turkic: en
Modern Turkic: an

Proto-Tungus-Manchu: a(n)
Even: an, ach
Ulcha: ana

---------

Proto – Altaic: baka
Meaning: to look, watch 

Proto-Turkic: bak 
Modern Turkic: baq, bak

Proto-Tungus-Manchu: baka (to find, obtain)
Evenki: baka
Even: baq

---------
Proto – Altaic: bang’ki
Meaning: to kick 

Proto-Turkic: böng’k 
Modern Turkic: möng, möngkü

Proto-Tungus-Manchu: bang-sala
Nanai: bangsala

---------

Proto – Altaic: basi
Meaning: payment

Proto-Turkic: basig (a: a kind of tax - b: a coin)
Modern Turkic: bas (payment)

Proto-Tungus-Manchu: basa
Manchu: basa, base

---------

Proto – Altaic: j(io)ro
Meaning: a big number

Proto-Turkic: yur (hundred)
Modern Turkic: yüz

Proto-Tungus-Manchu: jir
Manchu: jiri, jirun

---------

Proto – Altaic: umV (uma, ume, umi, umo, umu)
Meaning: fire; to burn

Proto-Turkic: uma-
Modern Turkic: uma-t, uma-y

Proto-Tungus-Manchu: omV (oma, ome, omi, omo, omu) = hearth
Oroch: umuxi
Nanai: oma

---------

Proto – Altaic: tuti
Meaning: a beat, strike

Proto-Turkic: tüt (to quarrel)
Modern Turkic: tüte (to be angry at somebody)

Proto-Tungus-Manchu: tute (sword, spear)
Evenki: tute-ken

---------

Proto – Altaic: suri
Meaning: to go away, drive away

Proto-Turkic: sür
Modern Turkic: sür, sir

Proto-Tungus-Manchu: suru
Evenki: suru

---------

Proto – Altaic: kiuso
Meaning: to vomit

Proto-Turkic: kus
Modern Turkic: qus, kus

Proto-Tungus-Manchu: xüse
Ulcha, Oroq, Nanai: xuse

Since this is going to be a long list, it requires another topic.

Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2008 at 23:47
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Also, to distinguish borrowings from real common words, Prof. Starostin has listed lots of words which are preserved in Tungs-Manchu and Turkic, but not in Mongolian.

Really? Jeez, that really ruins the credibility of the Wiki article on Altaic, which claims:

"They argued that while there were words shared by Turkic and Mongolic, by Mongolic and Tungusic, and by all three, there were none shared by Turkic and Tungusic but not Mongolic."

"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 06:59

Yes, but there are some techniques. For instnace, how the phonetic criteria may serve to distinguish the borrowings from the inherited cognates:

the correspondences of Turkic "l", "r" ( late Turkic "s", "z", after the separation of the Bulgarian-Chuvash branch) vs. Mongolian "sh", "s" respectively indicate the borrowings from Turkic into Mongolian.

Also, to distinguish borrowings from real common words, Prof. Starostin has listed lots of words which are preserved in Tungs-Manchu and Turkic, but not in Mongolian.

Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 13:50

Thanks Odin for the artice, I've read this before.

By the way, Mongolian language is closer to Turkic, than to Tungus-Manchu (I mean, when you say "the eastern languages gave rise to proto-Mongolic and proto-Tungus-Korean-Japanese). In the reconstructed form of Proto-Altaic (and daughter languages), it can be easily observed that Korean and Japanese are so similar to Proto-Tungus-Manchu (but not to to Mongolian) that one may conclude Korean and Japanese are kind of derivations from Proto-Tungus-Manchu. 

Anyhow, Prof. Starostin classifies Turkic and Mongolian, both, in Western group of Altaic languages, while Tungus-Manchu is the central and Korean and Japanese are the eastern branch. 

Mongolian, especially in its Proto form or old Written Mongolian is much more similar to Turkic, than to Tungus-Manchu.

The history of the Altaic languages are a pain in the rear end. I have just started reading about the historical lingustics of the family and it's tough trying to figure out what are borrowings and what are cognates. Confused
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 08:56
There are quite a few similar words in Altaic and Yenisseian which have exactly opposite meanings, but I don't know why the meanings have turned to the opposite side. Now, what's the etymology for these Arabic words, Cyrus, please?

Edited by gok_toruk - 27-Sep-2008 at 20:31
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 08:49

Thanks Odin for the artice, I've read this before.

By the way, Mongolian language is closer to Turkic, than to Tungus-Manchu (I mean, when you say "the eastern languages gave rise to proto-Mongolic and proto-Tungus-Korean-Japanese). In the reconstructed form of Proto-Altaic (and daughter languages), it can be easily observed that Korean and Japanese are so similar to Proto-Tungus-Manchu (but not to to Mongolian) that one may conclude Korean and Japanese are kind of derivations from Proto-Tungus-Manchu. 

Anyhow, Prof. Starostin classifies Turkic and Mongolian, both, in Western group of Altaic languages, while Tungus-Manchu is the central and Korean and Japanese are the eastern branch. 

Mongolian, especially in its Proto form or old Written Mongolian is much more similar to Turkic, than to Tungus-Manchu.

Edited by gok_toruk - 12-Jun-2008 at 08:50
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 07:49

Not to change the topic (!!!), but does anyone know the Proto-Indo-European root for French "noir"?

Proto-Altaic form for the word "black" is "karu". Although I've mentioned this before in this topic, but I was just wondering if a Proto form existed as " ng'uwara":

both Indo-European and Altaic has reduced the initial nasal "ng", but in their own ways: 

a) French has reduced the nasal "ng" to "n" to make "noir" (which is pronounced "nuwar")

b) Altaic has reduced the nasal "ng" to "g" to make "qara".

Could anyone help me with this, please? Any idea?

It seems this word has an opposite meaning in Arabic, Ghara (غراء), Nur/Nuwar (نور), Nahar (نهار), ... mean "white, light, day, bright".
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 00:15
Gok Toruk, I ran into this article you might like:

Indo-Uralic and Altaic

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 00:10
Originally posted by Slayertplsko

It's usually represented by 'h1'.

I know, but I don't know how to get the 1 subscripted. Unhappy

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 21:41
It's usually represented by 'h1'.
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 21:28

Back to topic again:

Proto-Yenisseian: aj
Meaning: I

Ket: at
Kottish: ay
Arin: ay

Proto Indo-European: ???
English: I

Notes: Could anyone please give the Proto-Indo-European form?

PIE: *'ego

The apostrophe represents some laryngeal consonant like a glottal stop.

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 21:14

Not to change the topic (!!!), but does anyone know the Proto-Indo-European root for French "noir"?

Proto-Altaic form for the word "black" is "karu". Although I've mentioned this before in this topic, but I was just wondering if a Proto form existed as " ng'uwara":

both Indo-European and Altaic has reduced the initial nasal "ng", but in their own ways: 

a) French has reduced the nasal "ng" to "n" to make "noir" (which is pronounced "nuwar")

noir -> (nominative case) nigrus (root: niger) "the dark" -> (nominative case) *nekwos "the dark, the night"

A possible proto-Eurasiatic form is "*nekwar"

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 20:30

I'll try to find french etymology dic on the web...hope I can still read enough French to understandBig%20smile
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 20:26
I am a supporter of a version of Joseph Greenberg's Eurasiatic Hypothesis linking IE, Uralic, and Altaic. I don't think there was a Proto-Eurasiatic language. Instead I suggest that there was a large sprachbund that formed across northern Eurasia as the Last Ice Age ended and the ice sheets retreated, the various languages eventually becoming mixed together and coming to share many features, especially in vocabulary. As the world continued to warm forests spread across northern Eurasia and thus made movement harder, causing the sprachbund to break up.

---

IMO the features of languages in this sprachbund were:

An analytic morphology, with languages in the west tending towards becoming a more fully isolating, languages in the center tending towards developing inflection and agglutination, and languages in the east tending towards becoming agglutive.

An SOV word order

The verb system may have been Ergative-Absolutive.

-----

The western languages gave rise to proto-Indo-European and perhaps a now-extinct group of languages of northern Europe that acted as a substratum influence on Proto-Germanic. A book I have called The World's Major Languages says that that PIE evolved from a language with an isolating and analytic morphology and that had an Ergative verb system.

The central languages gave rise to proto-Uralic, proto-Turkic, and influenced the western language that became PIE as well as the eastern languages that became proto-Turkic and proto-Mongolic

The eastern languages gave rise to proto-Mongolic and proto-Tungus-Korean-Japanese.

-Arnold J. Toynbee
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 18:18

Edited by gok_toruk - 11-Jun-2008 at 18:21
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 16:56
Cyrus, did I say there is no form, hengan, no what I said was that it is not a separate, different verb. It is a participial form of hón (to hang).

By the way don't presume to know what I am going to say. The Oxford Dictionary is a reliable source, but that doesn't mean that it is infallible.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 15:34
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

It is obvious both words come from Old English verb "hengan" which means "to hang on, to depend on, to rely on"...

OK, I trust you that the verb exists in this form, but whence have you got its meaning - i.e. 'to rely on'?
In every dictionary I checked, I can only see 'to hang', 'to depend', 'to be sustained' etc.

I don't say "henchman/hengestman" never means "horseman"

You did in fact, but never mind; that's beside the point.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 13:29
Originally posted by King John

Cyrus, you are the one who brought up hengan, specifically saying
It is obvious both words come from Old English verb "hengan" which means "to hang on, to depend on, to rely on", I don't say "henchman/hengestman" never means "horseman", there are several words which have different meanings from different origins but we are discussing a word which means "follower/dependant", "Hengest" could mean "Stallion" but why not "the most dependent"(henge+-est)?
I have merely pointed out that there is no Anglo-Saxon verb hengan. Putting a slash between two words does not mean that they are the same, exist, or are related. Doing this is a common ploy that you use and it fools nobody. What your cite shows is that hangian is a verb, that is not contested, you however at numerous times have represented hengan as a verb. Your cite does not attest to a verb "hengan" only to a verb "hangian" therefore putting a slash between the two is meaningless. There is a noun "hengen" but no verb "hengan." Does that mean that hengen is not a noun formed on the past participial form of the verb hón? Absolutely not.
Do you have an Oxford dictionary?

-> hengan ‘to hang’, however I know that you will say Oxford is not a reliable dictionary!! Ouch

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 11-Jun-2008 at 13:32
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 08:53
Hanging stones in OE: henge stānas. And what about hencg meaning hinge??

And then you would have to explaing why it is /stəʊnhɛndʒ/  and not /stəʊnhɛŋ/.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 06:58

Originally posted by Slayertplsko

This one wouldn't work. Henchman comes from hengest+man, and hengest meant 'stallion'. O.Fris. hengst, Du. hengest, Ger. Hengst "stallion", from PGmc khangistas.

This is either a fake etymology or "hengest" originally meant "follow" (a horse can be a good follower), anyway it is obvious that English "Hence" relates to Latin origin words "Sequence" & "Consequence".
Slayertplsko is correct in his etymology of henchman. The idea that hengest originally meant "follow" is just another preconceived notion you have cooked up with no basis in fact. In order for a horse to be ridable it first has to be broken, therefore they would not be very good natural followers.   

If you did a little research you would know that hence comes from the Old English word hennes. Here is the entry for hence in the Online Etymology Dictionary:
hence: c.1275, hennes, from O.E. heonan "away, hence" + adverbial gen. -s, from W.Gmc. *khin- (cf. O.S. hinan, O.H.G. hinnan, Ger. hinnen); related to O.E. her "here." The modern spelling is phonetic, to retain the breathy -s-. Original sense is "away from here;" of time, from c.1380; meaning "from this (fact or circumstance)" first recorded 1586.
Others have provided etymologies for "sequence and consequence."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>