Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval Kings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
elvain View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote elvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval Kings
    Posted: 03-May-2007 at 06:12
I think my list would be

Basileios II. - we all know why
Philippe II. of France - the one who created France as 13th century "superpower"
William - the way he took over England and combined it's institutions with norman government
Otto I.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 10:09
Originally posted by elvain

Philippe II. of France - the one who created France as 13th century "superpower"

How was France a superpower in the 13th century?
kasper View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote kasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 20:02
Originally posted by es_bih

Originally posted by elvain

How was France a superpower in the 13th century?

France was the superpower of the 13th century for several reasons (in no specific order):

France had one the largest populations in Europe. When the Hundred Years War broke out in 1337, France had a population of about seventeen million, while England had four million.

The 13th century saw some of the best kings in the history of France. Two of these kings were Philip II and Louis IX. One of the great achievements of Philip was conquering several lost territories from the "Angevin Empire", including Maine, Poitou, Normandy, Anjou and Touraine.

King Louis IX, or St. Louis, was another great Capetian king. Due to Philip's success in stabilizing the country, Louis was able to let France's culture, economy and military power blossom. While King, Louis was able to provide his vassals with a fairer trial system, was able to keep the currency stable, and built Sainte Chapelle, while at the same time quelling rebellious nobles supported by England (such as Hugh Lusignan and his English wife).

A third reason for France's power were the internal problems taking place in England. In the early 1200s, England experienced the revolts surrounding the creation of the Magna Carta and the First Barons' War. Following the signing of the Magna Carta, Henry III, one of the most incompetent rulers of England, was crowned king. Henry's long reign (1216-72) was subject to frequent rebellions, including the Second Barons' War led by Simon de Montfort.

That's all I have time for, I hope most of this information is right

Edited by kasper - 03-May-2007 at 20:06
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 00:47
France was still a collection of royal lands, and loyal, as well as disloyal duchies. Europe in itself was nowhere near even political equality at this point in time with the East or the Far East or the North African States. France was an emerging state, nothing more nothing less. To call it a superpower of its day is a fallacy maybe not in localized terms where the world consists of the outlying provinces and Il de France.
elvain View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote elvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 03:25
superpower was perhaps a bit too much, but it was by far the most powerfull state in Europe (and north Africa except Egypt)

the closest power was Mameluk Egypt in that time and in military also Golden Horde, but it's institutions etc. didn't provide no base for later growth

compared to everything near France was almost centralized (during reigns of Philippe II and Louis IX most of local lords were directly subordinated to the king (as it was possible in feudal system) and the system appeared to be more effective than any contemporary middle eastern system and it was first step tu european effectivity of governance on contrary to static systems in the middle east.

I can't speak about the far east, but it was Philippe II who started the process of centralization of european medieval states
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 17:29

Charles Martel was actually never a King, he was the Warder of the Palace/Majordomo or Prime Minister of the Franks. His actual name was actually Karl, but Charles Martel is the Latin Name for him, Martel means hammer in Latin (lit.). At his time, the Invading Moors had conquer Spain and all the Goths including King Roderick had been banished from Earth.He was famous for leading the Frankish troops at the battle of Poitiers/Tours, stopping the Moorish people from advancing to Europe. He also fought battles near Frankish border in order to conquer more regions.

William the Conqueror was a Norman Duke who leads the Invasion to England, In 1066, when King Edward I "The Confessor'' died, his throne was zero, he had no hair, and William claimed the throne for him as Edward was a near Cousin of him. But the English nobles chose Harold Godwinson, a "Pure" Anglo-Saxon as King. After asking for Pope's Support and the Coastal North French (Bretons,Flemings,Flanders) Army support, he marched and the Battle of Hastings was fought. As he defeated and killed Harold I Godwinson he took the throne of England, Starting the Road of the Anglo-Norman Dynasty and the English started to invade French and many more.

Charlemagne is my favorite king (After Saladin).

Charlemagne was the King of the Franks since 768-808 (Before it he became joint ruler with his brother, Carlomann).
The first years of his Reign was started with many blood flood, he invaded the Saxons, the Avars, Bavaria, Central Germany, The Basque Mountain (Barcelona etc.) and accepted the Pope request of Destroying the Lombards (And it's Succesful!!). He pointed Count Roland as the Majordomo, but Roland Died when the Basques raid the Frankish army.
He was a fine king, he pointed Monks and Jews as his ministers and develop Schools and Business World. Finally, the peak is when at Christmas day 800, he was Crowned as the first Holy Roman Emperor.

Justinian was a great Byzantine Emperor, by the Constantinople "Fortune Position", he sent explorers to China and Far East, in return, the explorers introduced Silks and many other Trade Goods. Justinian started a Love Affair with the influential Theodora since he was a Prince. He brought Byzantine to a Golden Age since the Time of Constantine I once more with his wife Theodora, and he also rebuilt the Empire after the Barbarians gone.
*PS:Justinian Name was actually Peter Sabbiatus*

Basil II was a great Byzantine Emperor, like Justinian, he brought the Empire to Golden Age again, but as he had no heir, weak Emperors took power (Except the Komnenos Dynasty) of the Byzantine Emperor until 1453, Fall of Constantinople.
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
kasper View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote kasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 19:44
When I use the word superpower, I say it in context to the High Medieval period and to the rest of Europe at the time. Even though 13th century France had many rebellious regions (as did every other medieval kingdom), it still did not greatly affect the king's influence or his ability to muster large, effective armies.

Edited by kasper - 07-May-2007 at 19:46
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 20:23
Originally posted by Winterhaze13

Charles Martel
Charles Martel was never a king, only Mayor of the Palace. He did, however, hold great power due to the fact that he held his position as Mayor of the Palace under one of the late Merovingian do-nothing kings.
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
elvain View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote elvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 02:52
btw, when speaking about Charles Martell, his "glorious victory" against muslim invasion was just a skirmish of muslim plundering band and Martell's army which was sent against duke of Aquitaine.

Later this unimportant skirmish was interpreted as a crucial battle that saved France from Islam.
This myth was created one or two generations later by the pope and carolingians who needed to legitimize their claims to the Merovingian throne.

all contemporary sources either don't notice this major event or refere to it as just marginal skirmish. All references to the battle of Tours/Poitiers 732 as major event that saved France come from times when "the Carolingians" were about to legitimize their power in cooperation with the popes.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 08:38
Charles Martel didnt care for titles of any kind, as long as he held the power. In fact, he was in all actuality an Emperor. He appointed Kings, and these Kings served him as his puppets.

In 719, he laid waste to the Saxons, but for some reason, the battle of Tours gets mentioned as if it was more important.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 20:46
Originally posted by Penelope

Charles Martel didnt care for titles of any kind, as long as he held the power. In fact, he was in all actuality an Emperor. He appointed Kings, and these Kings served him as his puppets.

In 719, he laid waste to the Saxons, but for some reason, the battle of Tours gets mentioned as if it was more important.

Mostly because a genearation later his son, and after him his grandson needed to legitimize their throne, so records contemporary to them mention it as some civilization saving battle with clear religious undertones in order to rile up the populace behind the Vicars of Christ, the Carolingian dynasts.
Efraz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Efraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 01:20
I always respected Phillipe II (August) who have risen Capetian Dynasty and Kingdom of France to a great status, defeated multiple enemies despite much chaotic stance in feudal France.

I find it needless to mention Charlemagne but I can't help but count King Clovis of Franks. Who can be considered as the founder of Christian kingdom of France.

Great Canute one of the greatest Northern Royalty. Founded and ruled a vast Nordic empire.
Boleslaw I
the Valiant King of Poland his life story is a tale of great ascension

John Hunyadi (Yanos) of Hungary. Wasn't a king but regent of throne. Was very successful against odds.

If I am allowed to count Sultans as well my favorite is Baybars I (Malik al-Zahir) the Kipchak ex-slave Sultan of Egypt. Second maybe the Murad I of Turks. Real founder of the Ottoman Empire.

If Khans are allowed too my favorite there is Kubilay Khan of Mongols. Tamerlane seconds him.

These biographies are very interesting to me.
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 17:14
tough one... my top 5 would be

1)Richard III
2)Saladin
3)Genghis Khan
4)Charlemagne
5)William The Conquerer

Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 23:45
Originally posted by Constantine XI

We had a really fascinating discussion before on the moral "rightness" of the reign of Basil II, it ended up being a very detailed and long discussion.

But let's get back to the original topic, I would like to compare each of the five kings mentioned to one another to evaluate their abilities as rulers:

What I find most interesting about all these rulers is that the grand nation they built would soon after crumble. William the Conqueror is the exception, as well as Martel who is more noted for defeating the Muslims than for building a strong nation.

Charlemagne's empire was broken up and soon fell prey to infighting and the Vikings. Justinian's reconquest so stretched the resources of his empire that in half a century it was brought to the brink of its destruction. Basil's near flawless management was undone, but it took half a century and a succession of very poor rulers.
Did'nt Charlemagne's empire got to his 3 sons which in turn attacked one of the brothers who was smack in the middle of the other twos? I think one had the part that is france now the other brother had what is now germany and the third brother had that little sliver between them that is belgium and italy.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 02:03
Originally posted by Brynulf_The_Great

We had a really fascinating discussion before on the moral "rightness" of the reign of Basil II, it ended up being a very detailed and long discussion.

But let's get back to the original topic, I would like to compare each of the five kings mentioned to one another to evaluate their abilities as rulers:

What I find most interesting about all these rulers is that the grand nation they built would soon after crumble. William the Conqueror is the exception, as well as Martel who is more noted for defeating the Muslims than for building a strong nation.

Charlemagne's empire was broken up and soon fell prey to infighting and the Vikings. Justinian's reconquest so stretched the resources of his empire that in half a century it was brought to the brink of its destruction. Basil's near flawless management was undone, but it took half a century and a succession of very poor rulers.
Did'nt Charlemagne's empire got to his 3 sons which in turn attacked one of the brothers who was smack in the middle of the other twos? I think one had the part that is france now the other brother had what is now germany and the third brother had that little sliver between them that is belgium and italy.

Correct, Lothair's Kingdom was in the middle and as such it fell prey to the infighting with the other sucessors.

The two surviving Kingdoms also went into decline - weakened by attacks from enemies on the borders and also the loss of centralisation and control which instead devolved to feudal lords.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 02:44

Originally posted by Brynulf_The_Great

Correct, Lothair's Kingdom was in the middle and as such it fell prey to the infighting with the other sucessors.

The two surviving Kingdoms also went into decline - weakened by attacks from enemies on the borders and also the loss of centralisation and control which instead devolved to feudal lords.
why did they attack their own brother in the first place? Was it for power? If so why did they not attack eachother?
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 18:02
It was not Charlemagnes sons who fought. Charlemagne wanted to divide his empire between his sons, but as it happened, by the time he died, only one of them was still alive, Louis the Pious. Louis inherited all.

Louis was of a different opinion than his father, and wanted to keep the empire in one piece, the whole lot going to his eldest son, Lothair, and providing the others with a small kingdom of their own. His three younger sons objected however. Already during his lifetime (in fact it seems to have been the birth of his fourth son, and Louis' attempt to provide him with a piece of his own as well that spartked it off) they revolted agains their father, who only with difficulty kept his throne. The division into three (one son having died before his father) more or less equal portions after his death was a compromise, that statisfied none.

As I recall (but I might be wrong) Charles the Bald and Louis the German did not attack the middle kingdom until after their brothers death, seeing his dying without a strong heir as the perfect opportunity to seize the land for themselves. They attacked each other, not Lothair.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 06-May-2008 at 18:08

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 00:35
so then after the battle between charles and louis was the empire whole again under one of them or just as is now?
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 17:46
Charles got roughly waht is France today, Louis roughly Germany (hence his nickname). traditionally, this is considered as the earliest beginnings of the Kindom of France and the Empire of Germany, although it took some time for this to become fully so. The areas were never part of one empire again after this.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 20:03
Attacking ones own relatives was the norm in the ancient world. Ambition was just too overwhelming, especially when paranoia sets in, becuase then you come to the conclusion that your brother or sister wants you dead, so as to attain power, "glory" or your inheritance. Then there are the siblings who simply "think that they would be better at ruling a nation than you". This was definately inevitable. A good example would be Ethiopia, where every single male member of the royal family, had the right to fight for the succession, when the reigning Emperor died or was "near death". The entire country side would be literaly turned into an "arena", cleared of all civilians, so as to keep the number of deaths to a minimun, when the sons of the Emperor fought for the right to become the next Emperor.

Edited by Penelope - 10-May-2008 at 20:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>