Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical Revisionism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical Revisionism
    Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 15:11
Personally I distinguish between theories that offer different explanations of the same historical facts (acceptable in principle, though arguably wrong), and theories that deny the facts themselves (unacceptable).
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 15:06

I think it depends on the individual historian and if they actually have a point or are trying to look profound and get attention. Some revisionism is simply so far from what is generally accepted that there seems little or no point for it. However, some revisionist historians such as G.R. Elton (on Henry VIII) and Richard Evans (on Nazi Germany before the war) do have some serious points and reasons to back up their interesting claims. A distinction has to be made from so called "t.v. historians" who often contradict generally accepted historical fact to get more viewers. Many people don't seem to realise that one can still explore the issues of a certain area in history without neccesarily taking a so called "revisionist" role and, as you say, to some extent, every historian is a revisionist in their own right.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 09:04
You know, Al Jassas. We have a forum for it now. Moved.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 08:08
Hello To you all

I don't know if some one have already addressed the topic or not but I want fellow forumers here to talk freely about historical revisionism. Is it right, is it wrong, is it worth it?

Many historians oppose revisionism as an attempt to distort history or polish the criminals. They claim that history should be taught as it happened and that "explaining" certain events or "justifying" certain actions is wrong.

Yet here is the thing that comes into mind when I read those anti revisionist historians, easily spotted when they taunt other as being "revisionists", these people also use revisionism and you hardly can find a single historian that doesn't revise and omitt certain aspects of history.

The last example of revisionism I stumbled upon was Pat Buchanan's strange defense of Nazi Germany as a "peace-loving" regime that was forced to war. Even Chamberline who is hated by everybody for Munich knew that war was coming and did some preparations for it.

So what do you think?

Al-Jassas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123