Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chameria (south epirus) Genocide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
vranakonti View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vranakonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chameria (south epirus) Genocide
    Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 06:59
Originally posted by Antigonus_

This got to be the funniest topic so far.
This guy claims that in 1936 according to Greek sources 26.000 Chams live in Greece.
How did the Greek goverment manage to expell 30.000 of them?
Although its simple I will do the maths for you my friend:
26.000-30.000 = -4.000
The Greek government has miraculously managed to expelled more people than have actually existed and the same time perform a genocide!!!!
Whom did they kill ? Since according to your statistics 110% of the Chams were expelled?
Or did they first expel them and then go to Albania and kill them?

Maybe because that census was made in 1936 and the ethnic cleansing was done almost 10 ten years later.Also we cant count on the veracity of a Greek census.since they had more than one reason to lower their real numbers.
Also i have to remind you that the Greek army invaded all south Albania after the Italian capitulation,and the Greek minority fully colaborated with the Greek invader,but after the war there weren't Albanian retalations.
However that of the collaboration was just an excuse for Greece to resolve definitively their minority problem in epirus,so they just exploited the favourable circumstances.

Edited by vranakonti - 19-Jun-2008 at 07:19
Ti Shqipri m ep nder...
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 07:10
Originally posted by xristar

The scale is different. The chams were some tens of thousands, armenians were some millions.
"Genocide" is a heavy word that shouldn't be used everywhere. The Chams weren't "genocised". They were expelled.

Wrong.
1. Census' of the Armenian population around 1912 show there were around some 1.3 million Armenians in Ottoman Turkey. So obviously the claim that 1.5 million Armenians were killed is absurd - a figure like 600 000, as proposed by more moderate Turkish scholars is a lot more likely.
2. The Armenians were forced to migrate south, just as the Albanians were forced to migrate north.
3. The Albanians were relocated because they allied with invading armies and took part in massacres of Greek communities, right? Well so did the Armenians, they allied with the Russians, and massacred millions of muslims in the villages of eastern anatolia.

Face it dude, we're just as innocent as you are.
Karadenizli
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 07:11
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

Genocide against the Turks?

Confused

No, genius, i was referring to what is mislabelled as the Armenian genocide. Try to use all four of your brain cells next time you think about calling someone else stupid.
Karadenizli
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 07:59
Originally posted by kurt

See, its irritating when you're country is accused of a genocide when no one will hear your side of the story to it, isn't it? Now you know how us Turks feel. You guys are so quick to point out that the Albanians were collaborating with invaders, well its the same with us, yet somehow we're still guilty of genocide whilst with you its just self-defence.

Easy there kurt. Turks & Greeks get along well here. I don't remember anyone bringing up that issue in the last two years. You don't need to get defensive or so.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 11:33

Originally posted by xristar

The scale is different. The chams were some tens of thousands, armenians were some millions.
"Genocide" is a heavy word that shouldn't be used everywhere. The Chams weren't "genocised". They were expelled.

Wrong.
1. Census' of the Armenian population around 1912 show there were around some 1.3 million Armenians in Ottoman Turkey. So obviously the claim that 1.5 million Armenians were killed is absurd - a figure like 600 000, as proposed by more moderate Turkish scholars is a lot more likely.
2. The Armenians were forced to migrate south, just as the Albanians were forced to migrate north.
3. The Albanians were relocated because they allied with invading armies and took part in massacres of Greek communities, right? Well so did the Armenians, they allied with the Russians, and massacred millions of muslims in the villages of eastern anatolia.

Face it dude, we're just as innocent as you are.

I don't really disagree, though I'd say that instead of us both being "innocent" we're both "guilty".
Expulsion of the Chams was dircted by the greek government in exile in Lebanon, and conducted by a greek group, the EDES partisan army.

My point is you can't compare the expulsion of some 30,000 people, who openly cooperated with the enemy, from a border area, and moved some kilometers to the north (-something that also happened in MASSIVE scales in balkans before), with the expulsion and death of more than a million people.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 11:55
Oh boy. Off to the minefield, and its watchdogs you go.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 20:49
During the occupation of Greece by the Axis powers, the Albanian minority in Chameria campaigned for the annexation of the region into the Albanian state and enrolled in armed units sponsored by the Italians. Additionally, several hundred Chams enrolled in the anti-communist and nationalist movement Balli Kombetar (to be discussed later on in this chapter). From 1943 the armed Chams joined the German forces in burning Greek villages (Mazower, 2000:25; Antonopoulos, 1999:102-3). With the withdrawal of the German forces in 1944, the Greek right-wing guerrilla forces of the National Republican Greek League (Ethnikos Dimorkatikos Ellinikos Syndesmos), commanded by Napoleon Zervas, made an offer to the Chams to join them against the communist guerrilla forces of ELAS. When the Chams turned down this offer, Zervas ordered a general attack against the Chams, an action supported by the peasants whose villages had been burned down by the Chams and who were all too eager to extract revenge. Many of the Chams' villages were burned and most of the Chams (around 18,000) fled to Albania.

the above quote taken from the book "Collective Memory, National Identity, and Ethnic Conflict by Victor Roudometof. Also intresting are and  the given informations from the British historian and officer in that time Chris Woodhouse.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 00:20
What utter tripe.  North Epirus belongs to Greece and has an ethnic Greek population.  South Epirus was only ever Albanian in Ethnic Albanian's wet dreams.
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 23:26

Confused

No, genius, i was referring to what is mislabelled as the Armenian genocide. Try to use all four of your brain cells next time you think about calling someone else stupid.

oookay. Sure the Armenians had a campaign of genocide against Turks. Clap
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 15:16

You are not refuting my arguments, you're simply restating yours. It seems I have been unable to make my argument well. Let me try again.

The Greek government relocated a minority because a significant proportion of that minority were cooperating with an enemy army. Similarly, the Ottoman government relocated a minority because a significant porportion that minority were cooperating with the enemy (the invading Russian forces). You claim that a comparison cannot be made because
a) The Albanian minority consisted of 30000 people whilst the Armenian minority consisted of more then a million people.
b) The Greeks were merely relocating the Albanians, whilst the Ottomans were expelling and killing the Armenians.
c) The Albanians inhabited a border area and were collaborating with the enemy, which justifies their relocation.

Now I counter:
a)i) The Nazi regime is most certainly guilty of attempted genocide. Out of 11 million Jews they killed 6 million. Now lets say the Jews had numbered 30 000 rather then 11 million. And let us then assume the Nazis had managed to kill 16 000 of these Jews. Would they not still be guilty of genocide? Ofcourse they would. The argument that larger demographics in an atrocity implicates a more sinister intention is self-defeating. A genocide is a successful attempt to exterminate a specific ethnic/religious group, it is not an attempt to kill more then a specific number of people.
ii) As I've already told you, the death toll of Armenians during their relocation numbered around 600 000. If the number had exceeded a million people then we would know this for a fact because there would be mass graves all over south eastern Turkey.
b) The 600 000 Armenian deaths occured during their relocation from south eastern Turkey to Syria. This change in location tells us something important - that they were being relocated, just as the Albanians were. Numerous documents exist entailing Talaat Pasha's order to relocate the Armenians yet no validified document exists mentioning an intent to wipe out the entire Armenian minority. Besides which, the vast majority of Armenian deaths occured as a result of either disease and famine (which were not exclusive to the Armenian population, as the Turkish and Kurdish populations lost thousands because of this), or because of assaults committed by Kurdish villagers seeking retribution for the Armenian massacres of muslims in 1914.
c) The Armenians were collaborating with the invading Russian forces, on one occasion they even seized a city and forced the Ottoman army to waste vast amounts of resources capturing it back. The Armenians themselves will admit to having treachorously aided the Russians, just look up the Armenian Revolutionary Federation, the Dashnaks, and the Hunchaks on wikipedia.

I'm trying to detach personally from this argument, and I know that being from a country much disliked by Westerners that my every word is regarded with skepticism, but if you are truly dedicated to the truth then you are obliged to look at both sides of the argument before coming to a conclusion. If Europeons would just care to research how many muslim villagers were killed by Armenians in 1914 rather then dismissing Turks as guilty before even putting them on trial then this controversy would not exist.
Karadenizli
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 15:27

Confused

oookay. Sure the Armenians had a campaign of genocide against Turks. Clap

Dude can you even count to your IQ? Or is twelve too formidable a number?
I have never once made the point that the Turks were victims of a genocide attempt, please reread my posts carefully. Then read it again just to be sure.
Karadenizli
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 17:03
yep i'll be watching this thread.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote vranakonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2008 at 23:58
Originally posted by Zagros

What utter tripe.  North Epirus belongs to Greece and has an ethnic Greek population.  South Epirus was only ever Albanian in Ethnic Albanian's wet dreams.

I guess your dreams about North Epirus aren't wet? North Epirus is were it belongs, in South Albania, and have a small Greek minority because we never tryied to assimilate or deporte them like you did with Albanians in Greece.
Ti Shqipri m ep nder...
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2008 at 00:24
We are on a history forum, right? So lets get a historical POV.

From as far as the world can remember there have been massacres and displacement of entire populations. Other group simply had to renounce their specific identity.

Just a quick list of the first examples going through my mind and limited to the Mediterranean: displacement of the Paulian sect by the Byzantines, destruction of the Mozarab, Muslim and Jewish minorities in Spain and Portugal, destruction of the Cathars sect and more broadly the Occitan culture by the Franks, destruction of the Jewish and Christian minorities in N. Africa by the Berbers, destruction of the Greek and Muslim minorities in Southern Italy, destruction of the Ismaelian sect in Egypt, etc. etc. etc.

It is sad but normal, on top of that the least ethnically varied countries have been doing statistically significantly better than the others economically-wise, it is thus normal to intend to 1. have a unified entity 2. desire as much land as possible 3. destroy the competing males in the opposed community. So the Chams had to suffer and move... too bad for them but really it is life.

Than the question is: was it criminal? Arguably yes, but it is too late to punish the guilty part so lets leave it as it is.
I am a free donkey!
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2008 at 00:50
I agree with your statement that it is too late. The Pauline sect was harmful to others IIRC.

I dislike your wording however as it makes out humans to be animals rather then what we are, humans.
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2008 at 01:03
Humans are animals with the capability to evolve into something more. Until now, we remain animals.

And how on earth was this thread raised from the graveyard? vranakonti returned from vacations?
Samurai
Samurai

Quote vranakonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2008 at 01:18

Originally posted by Maharbbal

We are on a history forum, right? So lets get a historical POV.

From as far as the world can remember there have been massacres and displacement of entire populations. Other group simply had to renounce their specific identity.

Just a quick list of the first examples going through my mind and limited to the Mediterranean: displacement of the Paulian sect by the Byzantines, destruction of the Mozarab, Muslim and Jewish minorities in Spain and Portugal, destruction of the Cathars sect and more broadly the Occitan culture by the Franks, destruction of the Jewish and Christian minorities in N. Africa by the Berbers, destruction of the Greek and Muslim minorities in Southern Italy, destruction of the Ismaelian sect in Egypt, etc. etc. etc.

It is sad but normal, on top of that the least ethnically varied countries have been doing statistically significantly better than the others economically-wise, it is thus normal to intend to 1. have a unified entity 2. desire as much land as possible 3. destroy the competing males in the opposed community. So the Chams had to suffer and move... too bad for them but really it is life.

Than the question is: was it criminal? Arguably yes, but it is too late to punish the guilty part so lets leave it as it is.

This happened in 1945, 6 month after the end of the war, and many of the direct testimony’s are still alive so the event is not that forgotten .Then there are the descendents of the ethnic cleansed Albanians that have the documents of the ownership of their houses and lands, but they aren’t allowed to come back, to at least seek justice in the Greek courts. Their possessions there have a value  of about 3 billion of dollars. The problem is that Greeks avoid every sort of discussion about the issue , by using “ the collaboration of Albanians card”, because they know that they might dead wrong  . For example just a small part of Cham’s actively collaborated with Nazis just like many Greeks did in other parts of Greece, but at the end of the war they punished the entire Albanian population. Also they have forgotten that right before the Italian attack, all the Albanian male population was putted in concentration camps located in south Greek islands or were appointed in minor often humiliating roles  inside the army, and they ironically are still complaining with the later Albanian collaboration that after the event,had one more reason to saw Germans as liberators.

However this issue is still alive in the relations between our countries, and is becoming every day more relevant.

Originally posted by Vorian

Humans are animals with the capability to evolve into something more. Until now, we remain animals.

And how on earth was this thread raised from the graveyard? vranakonti returned from vacations?

Yes, yesterday.LOL

Ti Shqipri m ep nder...
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2008 at 01:42
I will post once cause I have to sleep.

Were Chams harassed by the Greek government before the war? Yes

At that time, Greece was ruled by a fasist dictatorship Greek history has forgiven Metaxas for his famous "NO" to the Italians but the fact remains he was a dictator and a fasist one. He actively supressed minorities so obviously Chams would be discontent with the Greeks.

Did Chams collaborate with the Axis? Yes.

And many of them. There was a whole Cham armed group helping the Germans.

Was the Greek government responsible for their cleansing?

No. They were forced to exile during the civil war, a period when events like kidnapping Greek children and sending them to communist countries, punishing villages for helping one or another side and massive executions happened. Sad? Yes. But also a lot of Greek collaborators were killed brutally and Greek communists as well. My family lost a great-grandfather (hanged by right-wing militants as communist) and a great-grandmother (heart attack when communist guerillas entered the village and executed  a few people, local priest among them). Hey, shit happens.

Anyway, Chams for good or bad reasons were forced to exile and branded collaborators. Their properties were confiscated like the properties of Greek collaborators. Legally their grandchildren have no right to those properties. If they wish so badly to return....well we have about a million Albanian immigrants in Greece, come  and buy a house to live.

Goodnight

Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2008 at 01:47
PS: The word genocide has been thrown around very casually lately as shown in the recent Georgian crisis. Stop misusing the term.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote vranakonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2008 at 01:55

Ok your post is fair enough, lets forget about this topic at least for now, i just felt obligated to answer Zagros post.

Edited by vranakonti - 02-Sep-2008 at 01:57
Ti Shqipri m ep nder...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>