Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"The Messiah" (Iranian film) Jesus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "The Messiah" (Iranian film) Jesus
    Posted: 27-May-2008 at 22:46

According to the Islamic version, Jesus did not die on the cross. A new film on Jesus, told from an Islamic perspective, has drawn mixed reactions from the Christian community over its claim that Jesus did not die on the cross but was replaced by Judas Iscariot!

"The Messiah" Jesus is played by the Iranian actor Ahmad Soleimani:

"A new film on Jesus, told from an Islamic perspective, has drawn mixed reactions from the Christian community over its claim that Jesus did not die on the cross but was replaced by Judas Iscariot. “The Messiah” – written, produced and directed by Iranian filmmaker Nader Talebzadeh - was filmed in the Islamic Republic of Iran with Iranian actors to portray how Muslims understand the life of Jesus based on the teachings of the Qur’an and the Gospel of Barnabas – a book not included in the Christian Bible and in which the Prophet Mohammed appears. The movie features two endings – the Muslim and Christian version of Jesus and the cross – and has won an award at Rome’s Religion Today Film Festival for generating interfaith dialogue.Dr. Emir Caner, dean of the College at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and a former devout Muslim, recommends Christians to view both versions of the crucifixion account and ask themselves several questions:

• When was Jesus replaced, according to the Qur’an?
• Why did the disciples not recognize that the man they were following was replaced before the cross
• Why did the mother of Christ not recognize that her son was not present on the Cross
• What was the alleged purpose of Allah in deceiving the crowd, including the disciples and Mary, into thinking Christ was being crucified

Caner, who is also a professor of history, said he believes that in the end the film should be welcomed.
“Perhaps Muslims and Christians will recognize that the Qur’an only offers sparse speculation into one of the most noted events in history while the Bible gives meticulous detail into the historic events of the day,” Caner wrote to The Christian Post in an email Thursday. “It is a new day when the public is once again willing to discuss religious issues with eternal significance.” For most of “The Messiah,” Jesus is depicted similarly to versions made in the West – light complexion, brown hair and performing miracles, according to Variety magazine. But where the Muslim version diverges is at the end where the disciple Judas Iscariot miraculously transforms into the likeness of Jesus and is crucified in his place. “He (Jesus) is not the son of God and was never the son of God. He is a prophet and he was not crucified, that somebody was crucified in his stead,” Talebzadeh claimed, according to CNN. The director said his goal in making the film was to show both Muslims and Christians their common and different beliefs in Jesus and to generate conversation between the two groups who in recent years have been pitted against each other. “When you show this information (Christian view of Jesus) to the common people, they don’t know. Ninety percent of the Muslims in Iran don’t know about this,” Talebzadeh said. Dr. Gary R. Habermas, distinguished research professor and chair of the department of Philosophy and Theology at Liberty University, said he has not seen the film but commented that Islam is “very respectful” of Jesus. He noted that the Qur’an has almost 100 verses on Jesus. “The bad news is he is not the son of God, he didn’t die on the cross and because he didn’t die, he didn’t rise from the dead,” Habermas said to The Christian Post. “The good news is he is a great prophet, he is sinless, he is virgin born and he did miracles.” Habermas, who recently returned from a debate with a Muslim in England, said the idea that Jesus did not die on the cross for the salvation of mankind is based on surah 4:157-158 that says Jesus was not crucified. He emphasized that the Qur’an does not say that Judas took Jesus’ place but only that he was not crucified. The interpretation of Judas dying in place of Jesus is only one of several popular Muslim explanations for why Jesus did not die on the cross. But not all Christians are happy with the film. One blogger, who goes by the pen name “Dan Goldfinch” in his web log at WordPress.com, argues that not only the Bible but history also declares that Jesus was crucified.

“Jesus didn’t come to earth for mere respect,” wrote the Ohio-based preacher. “If Jesus has not been crucified then he has not been resurrected. If Jesus has not been resurrected from the dead, then Christians are without hope. We may as well party it up if Christ has not been Resurrected from the dead.”

Goldfinch further said that what the Qur’an does not understand and explain is that man’s sin must be dealt with and if it is “not dealt with in the death of Christ then we, and all of humanity from the beginning until the end, are simply obligated to be 100 percent obedient to the law.”

“So if there is no death of Christ as this man is purporting in his film, then exactly how will we be saved from our sins?” the Christian blogger asked.

Director Talebzadeh meanwhile sees the film as an Islamic response to “The Passion of the Christ,” the 2004 blockbuster of self-professed Catholic Mel Gibson. Although the Iranian filmmaker praised Gibson’s movie, he said it was “wrong.” “The Messiah,” with over 1,000 actors and extras, was one of the largest film productions in Iran, according to Variety magazine. It is the first movie to portray Jesus both from the Muslim and Christian perspective. The film has already been released in Iran and will soon be available on the Internet, according to CNN".
http://puteri.us/2008/03/22/islamic-...xed-reactions/
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2008 at 22:47
Does anyone know where I can view this film?
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2008 at 23:22
Interesting. It shouldn't be all that much of a surprise. One of the primary criticisms levelled by the Church at Islam has always been the mistaken Muslim interpretation of the nature and role of Jesus. I'd actually be very interested to see this movie sometime.

On a side note, the last critic -- Goldfinch -- portrays a rather shallow interpretation of the essence of Christ's sacrifice, focusing on it in primarily juridical terms which serve to obscure the message of the Gospel, and the deification of man.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 27-May-2008 at 23:22
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 00:00

Isn't it against the Islam tradition to depict the face of the prophets in artwork?

I guess the Shia is more lax on it .
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 01:16
^
I am surprised that they made the film as well.  Iran maybe influenced by Central Asian Islam than by Arab Islam (prohibitions agaisnt depicting prophets). Central Asian Islam was in turn influened by Buddhist art so they are more willing to depict prophets in paintings etc. .

Originally posted by Killabee

Does anyone know where I can view this film?
I also want to see the film.  If you are in the USA, I heard that the  Blockbuster chain has  "special interest" films available for online ordering.   

Edited by Cryptic - 28-May-2008 at 01:17
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 02:16
Seems interesting. When does it come out internationally?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 08:31
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Interesting. It shouldn't be all that much of a surprise. One of the primary criticisms levelled by the Church at Islam has always been the mistaken Muslim interpretation of the nature and role of Jesus. I'd actually be very interested to see this movie sometime.

'mistaken'.

Edited by Spartakus - 28-May-2008 at 08:32
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 08:34
Here is the English Official Homepage:

http://cmi.irib.ir/messiah/default.htm

CNN preview:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/03/06/raman.iran.jesus.movie.cnn

Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 08:38
Maybe our Admin Cyrus can tell us more about his review if he has actually watched it (According to CNN, it has been released in Iran).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 08:38

Isn't it against the Islam tradition to depict the face of the prophets in artwork?

Its only some Sunnis, noticably Hanafi and Hanbali jurisprudence. Incidentally about the only thing they agree on.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 10:14
sorry Sparten

All sunni schools prohibit any kind of pictoral depiction period of any one period. Some scholars from all schools prohibit acting altogether and there is are unanimous in prohibiting pictures of any of the Sahabah let alone the prophets.

Al-Jassas
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 11:53
Until I heard about this movie, I though the idea that Judas got swapped for Jesus on the cross was only my idea. Then this movie had the same theory, and I discovered that Barnabus had the theory too.

I so reckon its true, it'd be so typical.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 12:17
Originally posted by Al Jassas

sorry Sparten

All sunni schools prohibit any kind of pictoral depiction period of any one period. Some scholars from all schools prohibit acting altogether and there is are unanimous in prohibiting pictures of any of the Sahabah let alone the prophets.

Al-Jassas

Shafi is silent on it and Maliki is only for statues. Hanbali is not "all the sunni schools".

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 16:49
Originally posted by Sparten

Its only some Sunnis, noticably Hanafi and Hanbali jurisprudence. Incidentally about the only thing they agree on.

Yeah even then there are cases of Hanafis condoning it. It had been abudant in Ottoman times, too. Some Shia too however are against imagery.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 17:02

On a side note, the last critic -- Goldfinch -- portrays a rather shallow interpretation of the essence of Christ's sacrifice, focusing on it in primarily juridical terms which serve to obscure the message of the Gospel, and the deification of man.

-Akolouthos

Spoken like a true Orthodox, Ako.LOLSmile

No, but really, I'd also enjoy a viewing of the film. It has always surprised me how some christians can get so bent out of shape over Muslim and Jewish claims that Christ not be the Son of God. Its their faith, no need to fret, you still have yours- Is always my response. Of course I am in no way belittling the command of Christ to "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature".

Edited by arch.buff - 28-May-2008 at 17:03
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 20:39
Hello Sparten

Shafei said "If the hadith is deemed Sahih then my legal judgment is the same as the hadith". There are numerous hadiths that prohibit pictoral depictions regardless wether they were statues or just paintings, the difference between the schools is about defacing them. Most say they should be defaced if they were paintings and all agree that they should be defaced if they were statues.I heard of no body of the major scholars who said otherwise. Al-Dhahabi, who is shafei mentioned painting living things as one of the Kabaer or great sins, so did the other shafei ibn Kathir.

AL-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 20:45

I would like to read them.

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 23:10
Originally posted by Spartakus

'mistaken'.

Nope. Just "mistaken", sans the quotes. If I were to include the punctuation it would signify that I did not hold to the belief that I stated, which I do. I am well aware that many Muslim's criticize Christians for our "mistaken" understanding of the nature and role of Jesus. Wink

-Akolouthos
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 23:51
cant wait, i keep getting told Jesus will return at any moment by my Iranian step mother (inlaw). Something about the world is a mess now, 'girls think their boys and boys think their girls'Wink
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 01:02
The return of Jesus - to the big screen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>