Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Floyd-Comfortably Numb....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floyd-Comfortably Numb....
    Posted: 19-May-2008 at 18:04
...Hi there....

..i have been having a bit of a Pink Floyd day today, listening to music and watching vids on tinternet....

..one of my favourite bands and Comfortably Numb has always, always, been one of my top songs ever....so,.....i thought i would share this vid from You Tube of the re-united Floyd (minus Sid of course!!) performing the track at the Live 8 concert.....this version when i first watched it live, as it were, quite literally brought tears to my eyes...!!!....Gilmour's solo guitar work is just phenominal.....just another sad rock twit eh???!!!!Embarrassed...

..well, here is the link......enjoy if your that way inclined.....

..all the best......AoO...
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 18:30
AoO, one can never tire of your threads, especially about music. Keep the memories coming.

Great tune. One thing I recall about that concert is when the local tv channel cut that solo short. I was fuming.

Now we can always revisit with youtube.

So, what is your favorite Floyd album?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 19:06
Originally posted by Seko

AoO, one can never tire of your threads, especially about music. Keep the memories coming.

Great tune. One thing I recall about that concert is when the local tv channel cut that solo short. I was fuming.

Now we can always revisit with youtube.

So, what is your favorite Floyd album? 

...thank you Seko...i am just happy to find people who share the same musical passions!!!....

....and how annoying to have the guitar work curtailed like that, especially as that particular solo builds and builds and just has to be listened over its entirety....i recall the same thing when commercial radio stations play Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits and always, bloody always cut short the guitar work at the end of the song....swines...Angry

....i know it is fairly traditional to cite Dark Side of the Moon as the top Floyd album, and i agree that it is a superb and defining piece of work, however, i would plump for Wish You Were Here as my personal choice, with Animals running a close second......next would probably be Meddle (the track Echoes is fantastic, especially the live version that is on the film 'concert' Floyd did in Pompeii).....

....Although The Wall contains my all time fav song, it would be a little bit down the list as i think some of the musical pieces do not quite measure up, it still is a great album and a very insightful concept containing wonderful moments of musical brilliance, but i believe it does not quite match the overall quality of the other albums i mentioned....

....So, thanks for your reply Seko and happy listening...

..AoO..
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 20:42
The Wall is such a megalomaniac piece that it is quite common that a lot people don't like it. Most of the people I know who do claim to like it don't realy understand it, and simply say they adore it because it is such an unconventional and overwhelming rock album. Yet, as a Floyd fan, I still think it flunks musically, mostly because of Waters' domain at the helm of the band (The Final Cut will suffer from the same malady) - for me, a proof that while Waters was an excellent lyricist and had some brillaint ideas, he lacked a certain sense of musicality. It is no wonder that among a 26-song album, three of the four most memorable (Another Brick in the Wall, Hey You, Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell) are composed by Gilmour (Comfortably Numb was actually a song Gilmour composed for his solo album a year before The Wall, but which Roger requested he save for the "band's" album). I'm glad it was so, since Gilmour's excellent debut solo album never really got much attention. Including CN on The Wall made the song a landmark, and it's solo remains one of the most influential in rock history, prog or not. 
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 01:45
I have to say 'Meddle' is my favorite.  My friend used have that 'Live at Pompeii' on LASER DISK.LOL  Guess what we used to do after school when his parents weren't home? 
Don't get me wrong though, I see the beauty and the completeness of 'Dark Side' and social consciousness of 'The Wall' and 'Animals' and 'Wish' always gives teary eyes thinking about childhood friends.  But I love the muzacality of 'Meddle'.  And I always had a thing for epic prog pieces like 'Echoes'. 

That's why I love pieces like 'Starless' by King Crimson, 'Supper's Ready' by Genesis, 'Close to the Edge' or 'Gates of Delirium' by Yes, 'Lady Fantasy' by Camel, 'Remember the Future' by Nectar, '2112' by Rush, etc.  Oh not to forget, 'Passion Play' by Jethro Tull.  I even liked Voivod.  Celtic Frost is another good band.  Renaissance too.  I like some German Prog too like Can, Novalis, Faust.  Italian?  New Troll and Latte e Miele.  Those were pretty much all I ever listened before I got into Jazz.  I highly recommend Mahavishnu Orchestra for Prog fans if you haven't heard of them yet.  I wasn't able to to find and new prog bands.  IQ and Marillion was alright but this fairly new band(new to me) Mars Volta just blew me away.

Back to Floyd though,  I do have a soft spot for  'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' too.  Didn't Tony Levin sit in for Roger for that album? 

Tony Levin, my favorite bassist of all time.  He also played for Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe instead od Chris Squire.  Speaking of Bill Bruford, I shook his hand once, the ultimate wet dream of an amatuer drummer like me.  I'm pretty sure he remembers that too.LOL

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 20-May-2008 at 02:05
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Efraz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Efraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 01:49
I recommend Tool for Floyd fans. Not for the harmonic similarity but for the same approach to music, metaphors and lyrics.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 02:08
You say Tool, I say Primus.Wink
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 10:00
Originally posted by King Kang of Mu

I have to say 'Meddle' is my favorite.  My friend used have that 'Live at Pompeii' on LASER DISK.LOL  Guess what we used to do after school when his parents weren't home? 

That's why I love pieces like 'Starless' by King Crimson, 'Supper's Ready' by Genesis, 'Close to the Edge' or 'Gates of Delirium' by Yes, 'Lady Fantasy' by Camel, 'Remember the Future' by Nectar, '2112' by Rush, etc.  Oh not to forget, 'Passion Play' by Jethro Tull.  I even liked Voivod.  Celtic Frost is another good band.  Renaissance too.  I like some German Prog too like Can, Novalis, Faust.  Italian?  New Troll and Latte e Miele.  Those were pretty much all I ever listened before I got into Jazz.  I highly recommend Mahavishnu Orchestra for Prog fans if you haven't heard of them yet.  I wasn't able to to find and new prog bands.  IQ and Marillion was alright but this fairly new band(new to me) Mars Volta just blew me away.

..hello again KK....

....when i first got hold of the 'Pompeii' concert, it was on video cassette and only contained the concert itself, however, some time ago i bought the DVD edition and this contained footage of Floyd working in the studio on what was to become 'Dark Side'. This included snippets of instrumental breaks, Roger Waters experimenting with 'synth' sounds, and various takes on guitar parts. While recognisable as the future 'Dark Side' it was interesting to see how these ideas were being developed and compare them to the end version that eventually appeared on the finished album.....excellant viewing if you are a Floyd nut!!! ....

.....though i recognise most of the band names you mentioned, i did not really get into 'prog rock' that much and i doubt if i would be able to recognise much of their music either, with the exception of Marillion, Rush and perhaps the odd Celtic Frost song...i do recall hearing a couple of Voivod songs many years ago, but again i did not really follow it up....i kinda go for the more traditional 'metal' music scene, the heavier the better and with crunching guitars!!!....however, i did go and see Asia once which included a lengthy solo spot from Steve Howe.....!!!....its funny, my dad had loads of Rick Wakeman albums when i was younger and although i did plunder my fathers record collection, i tended to go for his Santana, Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk albums, and of course Pink Floyd.....my interest in Floyd was first bought about by the cover to the album Relics, it caught my eye then i listened, enjoyed, and then moved onto the other records.....so, i blame my Dad!!!!...

...AoO...
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 13:16
King Kong of Music, you have good taste my man. AoO you could learn a prog thing or two from him if you dare.

AoO, takes a while to warm up to the Pompeii DVD, but it is all there. The reckless abandon of middle Floyd.

Favorite album - Meddle. This one took me by surprise. Folksy rhythm with a bombastic opener to progtastic finish in "Echoes". This is not a polished production like the Dark Side or Wish You were Here. Instead it needs a few replays to get used to.

Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here were audiophile favorites back in the day of the 33 1/3 lp. I still have my Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs pressings, warts and all. Smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 13:59

King Kong of Music, you have good taste my man. AoO you could learn a prog thing or two from him if you dare.

AoO, takes a while to warm up to the Pompeii DVD, but it is all there. The reckless abandon of middle Floyd.

Favorite album - Meddle. This one took me by surprise. Folksy rhythm with a bombastic opener to progtastic finish in "Echoes". This is not a polished production like the Dark Side or Wish You were Here. Instead it needs a few replays to get used to.

Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here were audiophile favorites back in the day of the 33 1/3 lp. I still have my Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs pressings, warts and all. Smile

....yes, KK's prog rock knowledge seems pretty formidable, its just that i have listened to quite a bit, out of curiosity, but it does not strike the right...er...chords with me....no doubting the talent involved thats for sure, but straight forward metal just hits the spot!!!

...Meddle is generally underated as an album but who could argue with 'One of These Days' (im going to cut you up into little pieces)... a pounding bass line from Roger Waters and overlayed with spicy, histrionic guitar work from Sir Dave of Gilmour....and it remained a regular tune in the bands set-list.....great version on the 'Pompeii' concert as well...

.......there are one or two tracks i like from the Syd Barratt-era Floyd, but generally, i prefer the later Waters, Gilmour, Mason, Wright team....

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 20-May-2008 at 14:01
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 18:46
I still find Syd Barrett's period a different band than the acclaimed space-rock giants they would become. It is as if they were two different groups. I still like the SB stuff (brilliant psychedelia in there - Pompeii fortunately displays some of it), but my love for Floyd realy reached celestial hights with Meddle, which I still find my favorite, although not their best - I have no problem in saying Dark Side of the Moon or even Wish You Were Here take that medal.

I also have a very soft spot for A Momentary Lapse of Reason, which I find (objectively) their best since Animals (another beast of an album). Yet somehow it gets a lot of criticism, and not all constructive.

Tool were for a while considered the new Pink Floyd, but I never saw much depth in that claim apart from them being a progressive rock band with popularity, like Floyd. Personaly if had to call them the "new anything", it would have to be the new King Crimson, due to their close relation. But I won't do that, as they are all-in-all two unique bands.
As for modern groups bringing to memory the sound of Pink Floyd, while there are none perfectly emulating them (nor would I want them to do so - in that case better listen to the original), there are a few who capture a lot of their feel in their own original (and, might I add, quality) work: Porcupine Tree, RPWL, Pendragon, Mostly Autumn, Anathema, Riverside, and more recently Pure Reason Revolution, all of these can be called heirs to the PF legacy.  

Edited by Frederick Roger - 20-May-2008 at 18:51
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 19:10

....i also think A Momentary Lapse of Reason is a good album although i can understand why it receives the criticism it does, it would be pretty difficult for any band to reach the same heights that Floyd managed with 'Dark Side, Wish, Animals,' and 'The Wall, 'but that does not necessarily mean that 'Momentary Lapse' is a poor record...Learning to Fly and Sorrow are outstanding songs....

....hell, i even quite like The Division Bell, perhaps Floyd's weakest album.....having said that, Keep Talking is a classic and would justifiably grace any of Pink Floyd's 'classic' offerings.......i guess for me the single most attraction in Floyds music is the guitar work provided by Gilmour....i am a bit if a guitar nerd and i love the sounds that can be wrung out of the planks...and Dave Gilmour, in my opinion, is one of the finest experts at getting truly wonderful music from six strings and five fingers.... 
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 19:24
Syd!  Who doesn't have a friend who Syd-ed out?  As much as I respect the skills of Gilmore and have a soft spot for 'A Momentary', it's still hard for me think of Floyd without Roger, and Roger without Syd.  I wanna say to Syd what Don Mclean sang to Van Gogh in his song 'Vincent':

'But I could have told you Syd(Vincent), 
             This world was never meant for someone
             as beautiful as you.'

I used to have his solo album 'Barret'.  'Aunt Gigolo', 'Baby Lemonade', 'Wined and Dined', Great songs!

As I've mentioned already it's not that I don't see the greatness of 'Dark Side', 'Wish', 'The Wall' and 'Animals'.  Down fall of those albums for me is that they are so great therefore I've listened to them so much, it's hard for me to hear anything 'new' in those albums any more.  As Seko mentioned those are well polished albums.  On the other hand, 'Interstellar Overdrive', 'A Saucerful of Secrets' and 'Be Careful with that Axe, Eugene', I still hear something new every time I put it on.  But then again like I said that's more to do with the familiarity, polishness of the albums than the greatness.

This one bar I used to go to had 'Dark Side' in their jukebox, if I'm drunk enough I would put on 'The Great Gig in the Sky' and sing it as loud as I can.  A drunken Korean guy belching out that song in a crowded bar!  It's a YouTube material, for sure.

Hey, AoO, I know you are a Sabbath fan.  Check out this song, 'The Knife' by Genesis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1OeW9avWWM

A live footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XhDHJNuyXw

Very Sabbathy in my opinion.  It's pre-Phil Collins era too.  Though Phil is a great drummer, I can't stand what he did with Genesis in the 80's.  No wonder why Peter Gabriel had to split.  Then again, Yes and Pink Floyd suffered more or less the same fate in the 80's.  I did like 'Talk' by Yes though.

For more metallic Prog.

'One More Red Nightmare' by King Crimson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_nQZ-c96tc

'Red' by King Crimson from the same album titled 'Red'  Though this footage is from 1995
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfuTY601eK4&feature=related

'Larks Tongues in Aspic Part II'  by King Crimson also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezZIxZsD6H4

Is it just me but I can't believe those songs were made 25 years ago.

I would also post 'Starless' but I can't find a good version of it in the net to do the justice.
You just gonna have to buy that album 'Red'.
'Starless' makes me cry just out of the sheer perfection of it.  Like looking at the Grand Canyon or Sistine Chapel or Jessica Alba.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 19:32

Oh man, reading from you guys is better than a subscription to MOJO magazine.

KKoM, the Knife is a classic.

I say we open a thread on early Genesis then continue with other bands.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 19:40

KKoM, the Knife is a classic.

I say we open a thread on early Genesis then continue with other bands.

Sounds good. Cool 

Edited by Frederick Roger - 20-May-2008 at 20:38
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 19:47

....great mag!!!!.....Wink.....Big%20smile....
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 20:16

..hello again KK…

..spent some time going through some of the links you provided (thanks by the way)..

…..maybe its just me, but I could not hear the Sabbarf thing going on in 'The Knife' by Genesis…I know this will sound cruel, but it kind of reminded me of the ‘dancing dwarf’ bit during ‘Stonehenge’ in the film This is Spinal Tap….sorry KK….on the plus side, I really do like Peter Gabriel and I think the man has a great and distinctive voice, Biko remains on my top song fav list to this day……..

…..'One More Red Nightmare' by King Crimson was nearer to the mark for me although I doubt if it would command a regular sitting on the turntable!!!…there are odd moments of instrumental interlude that prick up my lobes, but the singing is something that grates on me (which is a bit rich I know coming from someone who likes Judas Priest, Ozzy and Motörhead!!!)….bare with me though, I am persevering with these tracks, but they just do not cut the mustard to these ears…..for me, the tunes are too ‘distracting’ in that they sound all over the place, this is the criticism I generally have of some jazz music, great talent is obviously on show, but I do need some form of structure……for example, I adore Script For A Jesters Tear by Marillion, a band who have been criticised for being Genesis clones, but I think Script is a sublime album, beautiful in fact, full of widdling guitars, long musical breaks, poetic lyrics, soaring, drifting, quirky, but the difference is that I get it!!!!….

….'Larks Tongues in Aspic Part II’ by King Crimson started off quite well I thought, but then appeared to lose itself, getting caught up in too much rambling about…..god, this must seem like sacrilege to Crimson fans, I know how I feel when people do not ‘get’ Black Sabbath…!!!!….

..well, I gave this kind of music yet another go and thanks for trying to convert me KK, a commendable effort for sure, but I must remain for now, a ‘prog-rock’ ignoramus…!!!

……as for Mr Barrett, I guess that Arnold Layne would probably be a standout track, although I do quite like the ‘song’ Bike

“I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.

It's got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good.

I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it”

….the drugs in those days must have been in a different class!!!!…

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 20:25
Hang in there AoO. The Knife is a cutting menace (pun intended). Rough around the edges a bit being that it is on Trespass. With each album they reach deeper into more pure melodies (for a proghead at least).

Fish era Marillion is quite the band. Script on through Clutching at Straws is right up there.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 20:42
I'm Hogarth's Marillion lover myself, never really got into the material with Fish - it didn't sound to me much different from other synth-based bands of the 80's, like Duran Duran and Spandau Ballett, and not better than those two either. Steve Rothery is one hell of a guitarrist, though.

In the meantime, I'll just back some of my modern bands recomendations with some YouTubin'...

Porcupine Tree
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-nSTT6ejCU&feature=related (be sure to check out more from these guys - they have a 20 year career already, going from psychedelic to symphonic to prog-metal - and all good!)

RPWL

Pendragon

Mostly Autumn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDPTWIWDNqg&feature=related (a Comfortably Numb cover, how apropriate LOL)

Anathema

Riverside

Pure Reason Revolution

Ok, I guess that may be enough...

Edited by Frederick Roger - 20-May-2008 at 20:44
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 20:44
Nice. Will have to spend some time tonight with those videos!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>