Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Descendants of Illyricum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Descendants of Illyricum
    Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 19:06
Funny no matter how hard I look beside the German historian in the 1800s no one really makes the connection between Albanians and Illyrians. I read a theory that Albanians are actually from the Caucaus mountains and were brought in as mercenaries by the Arabs via Sicilia, and then when the Romans retook it, brought those Albanians to settle in that area of the Balkans as garrison.

This Illyrian movement was also first started in Croatia in the 1800s as a form of south pan slavism. Illyrian are a branch of Thracian and as a whole i'd say most of the former Yugoslavia has a fairly large Thracian/Dacian/Illyrian sub strat genetic wise.

But for you to come in and say Albania has this and that and Greece is nothing is laughable. Are you one of those people that also believes Alexander, Constantine and Justinian were Albanian?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 20:55
Well that Illyria site of his pretty much bases that Illyrians are Albanians, which of course leaves out the ex-Yu countries that most certainly have that admixture.

I do not believe that they are recent immigrants either though. Albanians are probably descendeants of Illyrians just as are Yugoslavians, etc... However, where he steers wrong is by claiming some type of 'racial' purity, which is not the case. Mixture among the various peoples that have migrated throughout the Balkans most certainly happened.
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 21:00
Originally posted by es_bih

Well that Illyria site of his pretty much bases that Illyrians are Albanians, which of course leaves out the ex-Yu countries that most certainly have that admixture.

I do not believe that they are recent immigrants either though. Albanians are probably descendeants of Illyrians just as are Yugoslavians, etc... However, where he steers wrong is by claiming some type of 'racial' purity, which is not the case. Mixture among the various peoples that have migrated throughout the Balkans most certainly happened.

Well i'm actually curious to see any sources that site Albanians. A mean in the 10th century IIRC Arbanoi are named. And you can say you get Albanian from Arbanoi (SP?) But then you run into the issue that Albanians don't use that name for themselves. They use Sqiptare (SP?) or something of that sort.
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2008 at 16:14
Well I've always been a bit sceptic about the name argument. Names of the nation can possibly be changed, just like Latini (the tribe which united Italic peoples) changed their name to Romani in the course of time. Such changes in the names of nations are quite common, so we need to know whenceforth 'Sqiptare' has been used and what name they'd used before.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12