Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Descendants of Illyricum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
EthnicAlbania View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote EthnicAlbania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Descendants of Illyricum
    Posted: 14-May-2008 at 00:22
To those that deny the fact that Albanians are descendants of Illyrians:
 Latin influence, shipping, colonization, and art were always supreme on the eastern shores of the Adriatic, just as were those of Greece on the shores of the Black Sea. The Albanians even, descendants of the ancient Illyrians, were affected by the supremacy of the Latin language, from which no less than a quarter of their own meagre vocabulary is derived; though driven southwards by the Romans and northwards by the Greeks, they have remained in their mountain fastnesses to this day, impervious to any of the civilizations to which they have been exposed.
Reference: www.allempires.net bookstore

I have other resources too, but assuming that you have a limited ability to research the internet I just put what I found looking around this interesting site.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2008 at 01:50
Ok?

The title is a bit misleading. I entered this thinking to engage in discussion about deascendants (focus on the plural) of ancient Illyrians in the Balkans.

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2008 at 01:59
Cue in the narrator, Sir Christopher Lee of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars fame:

"And so the epic saga continues..."

LOL

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2008 at 02:54
I was about to say that
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote EthnicAlbania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 07:19

To es_bih: Albanians are the descendants of Illyrians. The origin of the albanians are ancient Illyrians. What's so hard to understand about that? (You can always engage yourself into discussions).

To: "Byzantine Emperor": Lord of the Rings, Star Wars ? Be more specific, so people can truly understand what you want to say.   

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 10:23
Where did the Albanians come from if not from the Illyrians?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 11:47
Does it really matter if they come from Ancient Illyrians?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 12:42
You need at least 2,000 years of history in the Balkans or else the other mock you and you get an inferiority complex LOL

Albanians have the most Illyrian blood in them than any other modern nation but neither their language nor their traditions have preserved.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote EthnicAlbania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2008 at 21:54
Yes "Spartakus" it does matter so you can ask yourself twice when you talk about your neighbours.
Vorian, I assure you that Albania has more than 2,000 years of history in Balkan. Actually it has more history than Greece. Greece has memories, Albania has history!
We did our best to preserve our Illyrian language and tradition and if it wasn' t for our efforts the name Illryrian would have never be spoken again.

And let me congratulate you for the weeding of those two new homosexual couples who got married in the small ilsand of Tilos in Aegean Sea on the 3 July of this year. I am glad to hear news like this because I see that that you still preserve you Hellenic traditions even nowdays. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2008 at 22:01
OOOHH I get it now. You're in that "I am better than you mood." Neither one of them actually said anything bad about Albania so why attack Greece for a "lack of history." Laughable.
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2008 at 23:42
Originally posted by EthnicAlbania

Yes "Spartakus" it does matter so you can ask yourself twice when you talk about your neighbours.
Vorian, I assure you that Albania has more than 2,000 years of history in Balkan. Actually it has more history than Greece. Greece has memories, Albania has history!
We did our best to preserve our Illyrian language and tradition and if it wasn' t for our efforts the name Illryrian would have never be spoken again.

And let me congratulate you for the weeding of those two new homosexual couples who got married in the small ilsand of Tilos in Aegean Sea on the 3 July of this year. I am glad to hear news like this because I see that that you still preserve you Hellenic traditions even nowdays. 

I bet 10$ he will be banned before he reaches 10 posts. Does anyone what to take the bet?
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 00:57
We'll see Vorian Wink.
I guess i'll split the 10$ with the moderators, and he'll be banned after his 10th post!Big%20smile

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 04:30
Albanian is a "Satem" language, possibly related to Thracian, Armenian and Dacian and so a more likely connection is with the Thracians or some similar eastern Paleo-Balkan people. Illyrian, IIRC, was a "Centum" language possibly related to the Italic (Latin, etc.) and Celtic languages
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote EthnicAlbania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 05:56
es_bih I see you finally are engaging yourself into discussion, but you are doing it in a wrong way.
Vorian said:
"You need at least 2,000 years of history in the Balkans or else the other mock you and you get an inferiority complex LOL

Albanians have the most Illyrian blood in them than any other modern nation but neither their language nor their traditions have preserved."--To me that is offensive and if you es_bih find it normal i feel sorry for you.

I bet 10$ some of the ppl who will read my posts will get angry.

Hey Odin!

Albanian was proven to be an Indo-European language in 1854 by the German philologist Franz Bopp. The Albanian language comprises its own branch of the Indo-European language family.

Some scholars believe that Albanian derives from Illyrian[2][3]while others,[4] claim that it derives from Daco-Thracian. (Illyrian and Daco-Thracian, however, may have formed a sprachbund, see Thraco-Illyrian.)

Establishing longer relations, Albanian is often compared to Balto-Slavic on the one hand and Germanic on the other, both of which share a number of isoglosses with Albanian. Moreover, Albanian has undergone a vowel shift in which stressed, long o has fallen to a, much like in the former and opposite the latter. Likewise, Albanian has taken the old relative jos and innovatively used it exclusively to qualify adjectives, much in the way Balto-Slavic has used this word to provide the definite ending of adjectives.

P.S. es_bih please tell me what was that I wrote against greek? 

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 08:09

So why do I never find an Albanian counterpart to Xenophon, Herodotos and Thukydides no matter how much I look?
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 12:13

You aren't looking to stay on this forum very long, are you? Re-read -- or, more likely, read -- the Code of Conduct and abide by it or you will be dismissed.

-Akolouthos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 13:03
This belongs in alternative history. And EthnicAlbanian, we are rather unimpressed with your start here. Here is a surprising bit of news lad. People are usually underwhelmed when you shout out your ethnicity, the response to "I am an Albanian, Turk, Greek, French, Pashtun, Punjabi etc" is usually a "yeah? So?"
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 21:47
@ Sparten (ignorant peasant)

Can't you read? You ought to ask yourself twice before asking such question. Remember:

So… Myself? Myself? (ok once more to be sure) Myself?

Now I can ask: why do we care?
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 00:35
Originally posted by ethnicalbania

P.S. es_bih please tell me what was that I wrote against greek? 

I assure you that Albania has more than 2,000 years of history in Balkan. Actually it has more history than Greece. Greece has memories, Albania has history!

You answered your own question in your own previous post. Wink Demoting another ethnicity's credibility for the sake of your own is rather an offensive act not academic. Demeaning homosexuals as a negative state of being too is offensive and using that demoted state to describe Greeks and Greek culture is even more offensive to both.

I hope I cleared up that to you buddy.

Well we have completely independent reserach on the Illyricum province and the Illyrian tribes and the region as a whole around the world. Furthermore, I would argue that a lot of rural traditions that are not newer adaptations are preserved from Illyrian past in the northern Balkans, primarily Yugoslavia.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 06:11

I have other resources too, but assuming that you have a limited ability to research the internet I just put what I found looking around this interesting site.

Many people here know about the history of Illyricum. You're probably just one more member opening a thread about it.

Practically, I do believe Albanians have a connection with Illyrians, however, I find the currect language more close to Dacian than Illyrian. Those ofcourse just speculations...You don't have many surviving Illyrians words and most are placenames. The Dacian is not well survived eather but at least we have a dictionary available with a greater number of words than Illyrian and some of those words have a direct connection to Albanian.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>