Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How have been called your national ancestors?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How have been called your national ancestors?
    Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 21:44
Originally posted by Jallaludin Akbar

Originally posted by MarcoPolo

Pakistan:

British
Persian
Indus Valley Civilization(native)
Aryan tribes
Huns
Greek(Alexander the Great)
Scythian
Pashtun/Afghan
Turks(many...)
Tibetan
Bactrian
Tajik
Arab(many)
African
indian
Jewish

Wow, just realized thats a very broad and eclactic group that have contributed to Pakistan's gene pool!

I believe its the Indus River Valley?

Its been called both, in Pakistan and most other countries, the archeological societies often uses the term: Indus Valley Civilization  (IVC for short) to refer to this ancient civilization located along the Pakistan's Indus river.   Indus River Valley is also used, but is less common. Smile
Hungo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 10:12
Hun-Scythian-Magyar-Kun (Kun-Cumanian)
Attila király katonája
mygger View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mygger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 10:40
Originally posted by Roberts

Latvian peasants (further in past divides in many Baltic tribes) as far as I know. Baltic is comparatively isolated place so no great mixing or population movements in the past.

What about fenno-ugrian roots of Latvian population?
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2009 at 15:33
Originally posted by mygger

Originally posted by Roberts

Latvian peasants (further in past divides in many Baltic tribes) as far as I know. Baltic is comparatively isolated place so no great mixing or population movements in the past.

What about fenno-ugrian roots of Latvian population?

One of tribes which made Latvian population were Livonians - they are finno-ugrian. The rest were Baltic (indo -European) - Selonians, Latgallians, Semgallians, Curonians.
Emil_Diniyev View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Emil_Diniyev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2009 at 11:51
I didn't really get the it.

But we Azeris have been called Mountain Turkmens and Caucasian/Mountain Tatars before.

Georgians still call us Tatarebi and when Russians first conqured Caucasus, they called us Caucasian Tatars. Azeri term occured only after 1918.

Edited by Emil_Diniyev - 16-May-2009 at 11:58
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2009 at 14:12
My ancestors were called Danes. We're still called Danes. However, in Danish we're called Danskere, while the ancients were called Daner.
Of course, some may have been Jutes or Angles or whatnot, but that's impossible to say.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2009 at 06:45
Adam and eve . Thats all.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2009 at 14:26
Since I am from the Southern part of the USA, and I have done some work on my family background, I should say that I am a product of people who lived in what is now England or the Protestant part of Ireland (sometimes called Scot-Irish), and some mixture of Native American (Cherokee). These relationships go back to the 1640's at least, here in the Southern USA. This seems to be secure for most "all lines" since 1750 CE or so.

Basically, since my ancestors were here before the American Revolution, and since some of them fought in that conflict, I would only consider myself as an American! And only an American!

I believe 370 years in mostly the same area of the USA, makes one an American! How about you?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2009 at 16:56
As im from Poland, the oldest region of the country known as Greater Poland, my ancestors would be:

Hallstatt culture
lusatian culture
Celts
Germans (maybe Wandals)
Sarmatians (probably Alans)
Slavic Tribes (especially Polans who founded Polish kingdom)
German immigrants (coming to my region since 13th century until today in large numbers)
Jewish immigrans
Flemish Immigrants
Scottish imigrats (there is still a village named Scotland as it was inhabittated by Scots and another in different part of the country where still are living their descendants), in AD 1650 in Poland was living about 30.000 who were taxed for 1/10 of their property and all monay from this tax were given to king Charles II Stuart

Lithuanians
Ukrainians
Tatar immigrants
Dutch immigrants (i counted at least about 30 villages named "Holendry" after Dutch settles)

and probably even more from all Europe
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Nurica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Nurica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 11:35
As a Romanian, I don't think I belong to "one of the most mixed peoples of Europe", because in Europe (as anywhere), mixity is too a fact of reality of all of us (though frequently obscured by stupidity or politics - synonyms?). I really wonder who, there, can claim a high degree of ethnic purity...
And if your list of ethnicities that influenced romanian mix seems pretty complete, I'm not so sure about the order of items there: I feel somehow that I can't be so much dacian as I am for sure, of slavic origin... historians, all, declare closed the genesis of romanian people only after the massive slavic ethnic contribution, which I admit that was often concealed for political reasons.  

My list:
1. Slavs.
2. Cumans (and other turkic people).
3. Dacians and other thracians).
4. Sarmathians and other iranian/indoeurop. people.
5. Others.

For me the ethnicity (and the low-value items of a tradition/culture, like religion or customs) in fact doesn't matter at all, or at least doesn't matter as much as the language. My beliefs, values and customs may differ very much of those of my ancestors, what makes me feel belonging to a sort of virtual community with them is, still, the language.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 14:12
I tend to agree whole heartedly! It is a common language that unites people,much more so than religion, or race, etc.! America used to be a real example of it! Then, we started to allow neighborhoods to exist in a virtual nation within a nation! Newly arrived citizens did not have to learn English to prosper, and they found, to their glee, that they could carry on substantial conversations amongst English speaking Americans without being shamed!

In other words, they knew that not one out of 300,000 English speaking Americans were likely to understand anything they said!

Earlier emigrants to America were not treated so kindly! In most cases, if you could not speak English, you would not prosper! Millions of these arrivals tried desperately to learn to speak and write English as a result! They might well have spoken the Old Language to Grand Pa, etc., but realized that "comformity" was the "better" option!

Now, America is literally faced with becoming a two-languate nation! North American Spanish speakers, it seems, literally live or die to keep their language at all costs!

Amazing! The desire our freedoms, our prosperity, and yet hold on to their opressive Language forbearers!

As a famous American commander reportedly told a NAZI delegation during the Battle of the Buldge, in WWII, "NUTS!"

Of course that was not the exact quote, but one written for the masses!

In North America, I can only see Quebec as a viable example!

n'est–ce pas?
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 15:52
The Welsh example would disagree with that statement.

I live in Wales, but Im not Welsh. Though the official language of the country is English, there is a bi lingual policy. The majority of the population can speak no more welsh than asking for a pint of beer or asking the way to the train station for the most part. Though there are areas where there are more welsh speakers than English and it is used there as more of a primary language than a secondary one. The majority are english primary. Through education and teaching over the centuries the welsh language itself was almost eradicated. It has only been within the last couple  of decades that welsh has begun to feature quite prominently again, part in due to the bi lingual policy which is a most recent invention. Its only very recently that a welsh language tv channel existed.

Yet though the people of wales are all connected by the ability to speak the English language, and have been for quite sometime That hasnt actually resulted in the union of welsh or English peoples within Britain itself. Nationalism in wales has been alive and active for generations, long prior to a bilingual policy or the re-emergence of the welsh language. Wales and England are still divided and have been despite there being no language barrier.

Race isnt really a dividing issue, even though some ardent nationalists would argue otherwise, obviously due to the centuries of immigration across borders etc.

But language isnt always a unifying factor, though it certainly has the power to be.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 16:30
DW, wrote;

"The Welsh example would disagree with that statement."

My question is "which" statement?

If you want to compare Spanish speaking Americans to the lack of Welsh speaking English, then you are comparing Apples to Watermellons! Restrictions upon Welsh speakers has been ongoing in Britian for centuries, or at least that is what we are told! Yet, today, in the UK, I doubt that persons whith the last name of Jones, or Evans, etc. are discriminated against because of their ancestory!

Where I live in the USA, there exists numerous old Spanish and French names! I, also see no discrimination involved!

There are now, in my immediate area, also numerous Spanish/Mexican establishments! But, again I see no outward discrimination!

Is the same to be expected in England?

Note, I live in the "Deep South!", of America!
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 17:26
Theres no outward obvious active discrimination per say, no segregated busses, but that doesnt stop the Welsh and English fighting each other, insulting each other, occassionally murdering each other. Doesnt stop welsh nationalist terrorism, or the welsh having their own politcal party advocating devolution and compulsory language, or me wearing an England national sports team shirt in town without getting some abuse, or positive discirmination between welsh and english in companies organisations within wales. 

For the last one I shall state 2 examples. Many jobs in wales these days often require or prefer people who can speak welsh (even if it is never going to come up). If you come from England and thus have never had the opportunity, or any reason to speak welsh, you will be positively discriminated against for a native welsh speaker.
If you are a welsh student you will have your university fees cut by 50% even if you come from a very well off family. An English student studying in Wales from an underprivileged background will still have to pay full costs.

I went and saw the new Robin Hood movie the other day and they managed to get welsh 'jokes' into that, especially sicne they filmed it in Wales. Wales and the Welsh are a very 'small' people in many ways.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 17:30
It seems we have a lot more in common than I thought!

Reverse discrimination!

Need I say more?
Nurica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Nurica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2010 at 10:16

@opuslola

Americans become so tolerant maybe because they see to which big degree english is unavoidable as international language. But in the long run, they are wrong, of course: this preeminence of english was generated by american (and british) political and scientific power, and these are already subsiding! So they have the right to impose an official language on US territory, as any other political entity do, but of course, those that stress the fact that the english is best defended by prospering economically and scientifically also are not so wrong. Americans (and anglosaxons in general) are their own victims, because their model of society was based on the unrestricted freedom of religion (due to historical reasons), fact that foster parallel communities living almost without interaction; synonyms for that phenomenon, in my view, it is "bantustanization". The political reality is different in (continental) Europe, as anyone can see today...
The question is: can americans (for europeans that problem is less acute) remain prosperous when their population is getting old so quickly, and when the rapid ethnic change pose the problem of who’s values should prevail in society? (in periods of open ideological conflict the economy is suffering)

Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2010 at 18:29
Are you saying that a sovereign state (in particular the US here) doesnt have the right to decide or impose a standardised and official language within its own borders?
Nurica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Nurica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2010 at 00:54
<<Are you saying that a sovereign state (in particular the US here) doesnt have the right to decide or impose a standardised and official language within its own borders?>>

I for one, no! Any state has this right to impose an official language... 
But many americans disagree with those that wish such a political move, and I have tried to explain why this happen: one of the shared values of this persons is the ideea that people can live in separate communities, having and cherishing different and even opposed values, and in the same time all this  opaque communities of this already broken "melting pot", can form, miraculously, "a nation". I'm moderately skeptic about that.
superhorn View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote superhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2010 at 15:49
   My grandparents were Jews from Ukraine. My mother's mother was born in the Ukrainian city of Chernivtsi when it was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire in 1888 ,and this region is known as Bukovina.  She spoke German,Yiddish, and some Ukrainian and Romanian. Chernivtsi is near the Romanian border.
  I'm not sure about my father's side of the family,though, but they were apparently Ukrainian Jews.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2010 at 18:27
Nurica wrote some where above;

"The question is: can americans (for europeans that problem is less acute) remain prosperous when their population is getting old so quickly, and when the rapid ethnic change pose the problem of who’s values should prevail in society? (in periods of open ideological conflict the economy is suffering)"

So, Sir! Just how would you like us old Americans to go "Out?"

Perhaps it is because we promise to keep our fingers upon the triggers of our considerate weapons?

Therefore, we oppose regulation and other Draconican laws, that would lead us into rebellion!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>