Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How have been called your national ancestors?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How have been called your national ancestors?
    Posted: 11-May-2008 at 18:23

Me, as a Romanian (Romanians are one of the most mixed peoples of Europe) I'm proud to think I have the blood of so many peoples who in historical times have been called:

Dacians
Thracians
Scythians
Illyrians
Celts
Sarmatians
Goths
Gepids
Slavs
Pechenegs
Cumans
Tatars
etc

kafkas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote kafkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 20:55
To have been able to survive as a people through so many periods of foreign domination and mixing says something about the quality of Romanian culture.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 20:59
Besides the first, who probably lived in continuum, the rest lived either in small numbers(such as the Sarmatians, or perhaps more appropriate, the Alans), never dominated too much culturally, or marked their stay by a short occupation that did not do much culturally. All these exempting the Goths, who moved out eventually. The original Daco-Thracian culture probably remained prodominant.

As an Albanian, particularly from southern Albania:

- Illyrians
- Epirots
- Colonial Greek
- Roman
- Serbo-Croat (strong presence in Epirus during the Middle Ages)
- Vlach

Edited by Theodore Felix - 11-May-2008 at 21:01
Chookie View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Chookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 21:00
For myself, a Highland Scot, the mixture would be something like:-

Pict
Scot
Irish
Norse
Roman
French
Spanish
English (God forbid)
Whatever else was available..........
For money you did what guns could not do.........
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 21:13
Locals:
Mapuche, Aymaras, Quechuas, Coyas, Diaguitas, Pichunches.

Europeans:
Iberians,
Celts,
Phoenicians,
Greeks,
Jews,
Romans,
Germans,
Arabs,
Moors,
Gauls,
Spaniards,
French,
Italians

Edited by pinguin - 11-May-2008 at 21:14
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 21:17
Originally posted by kafkas

To have been able to survive as a people through so many periods of foreign domination and mixing says something about the quality of Romanian culture.

There is very few cultural continuity between the ancient period and the medieval one, actualy the medieval Romanian culture is among the most retarded in Europe, the first states appeared only in 15th century and up to 13th century there is little, almost nothing known about what happened on this territory.

Originally posted by Theodore Felix

Besides the first, who probably lived in continuum, the rest lived either in small numbers(such as the Sarmatians, or perhaps more appropriate, the Alans), never dominated too much culturally, or marked their stay by a short occupation that did not do much culturally. All these exempting the Goths, who moved out eventually. The original Daco-Thracian culture probably remained prodominant.

What you say is true with the exception of Slavs. I think Romanians are rather Slavs than Dacians. The amount of Daco-Roman population was very reduced at the coming of Slavs (5-7th centuries) but they managed to absorb the Slavs (linguisticaly) due to the stepped coming and setling of them.

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 21:21
Latvian peasants (further in past divides in many Baltic tribes) as far as I know. Baltic is comparatively isolated place so no great mixing or population movements in the past.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 21:30
Originally posted by Menumorut

There is very few cultural continuity between the ancient period and the medieval one, actualy the medieval Romanian culture is among the most retarded in Europe, the first states appeared only in 15th century and up to 13th century there is little, almost nothing known about what happened on this territory.
If you mean high, elaborate, literate culture yes, I'd agree, if you just mean culture you're wrong. If there wouldn't be a culture, there wouldn't be archaeology because people wouldn't leave behind anything but their bones.

What you say is true with the exception of Slavs. I think Romanians are rather Slavs than Dacians. The amount of Daco-Roman population was very reduced at the coming of Slavs (5-7th centuries) but they managed to absorb the Slavs (linguisticaly) due to the stepped coming and setling of them.
So how come then the closest genetical patterns to the Romanian ones are in Balkans and not in Poland or Russia? How come a handful of people having a "retarded culture" could assimilate the numerous others (will you reply they were even more retarded? Big%20smile)?

Efraz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Efraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 21:48
People of Turkey are one of the most mixed too. We grill the kebab like Mesopotamians and steam the fish like Greeks. We both drink Raki and Shalgam.

As a citizen of Istanbul and son of western Anatolia. I eat&drink

Tandir Kebap (Hittites)
Lakerda (Greeks)
Okuzgozu wine (Commageneans)
Pilav (Persians)
Ayran (Oghuz Turks)
Kahve (Ottomans)

These are merely a few examples .)

Edited by Efraz - 11-May-2008 at 21:52
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 22:20
There is very few cultural continuity between the ancient period and the medieval one, actualy the medieval Romanian culture is among the most retarded in Europe

The people are the culture, not the state. Various geo-political reasons could be there to hinder enough centralization and organization so as to create a state, nevertheless, the people keep the continuity.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 00:12
Influencing peoples and cultures:

Sumerian related Kermanshah culture
Hurrian
Kassite
Mitani
Elamite
Kurdish
Medean
Persian
Greek
Parthian
Arab
Turk Oghuz
Mongolian (actually they gave nothing of any value)
Turkmen

Edited by Zagros - 12-May-2008 at 00:15
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 08:11

Pure desert Arab with no foreign influence except a sli possibility of African blood.

Al-Jassas

Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 08:15
I am a mix breed,

Mazandaran
Turk
Giliki
Filipino
Malayan
Italian
Parthian
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 08:25
Pakistani.
Mostly Afghan.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 08:28
English, Germans, Bavarians, Spaniards, Valencians - that does it as far as I know. Of course I could go on about Romans, Danes, Boii etc but that's going a LONG way back.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 09:51
As with all periferous or otherwise and uninhabital places no one wants to migrate to (deserts, arctic regions) only one group, in this case Scandinavian. Only believable possible mix being mix of Sami.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 13-May-2008 at 08:07
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 10:38
Turkmen, Kypchak & Georgian (probably a whole more...)

Zargos whats the difference between oghuz & Turkmen last time I checked they where the same
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 11:55
Different waves - one (smaller) with Seljuq, then the big wave with Timur which actually started the Turkification of NW Iran.

I missed one from my list: Assyrian.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 12:48
Hmm the Timurids where of the eastern brancj of the Turks so thats different from the oghuz/Turkmen

People from and around Asia minor or mesopotamia can't rule out any ethnic group from or who came in contact with that area TBH
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
flaja View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote flaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 02:04

If the research that others have done is correct and I have correctly identified one of my great-grandfathers (same first name, last name and middle initial, born in the same place at the same time, but with a wife who is not my great-grandmother) then my ancestry includes:

Briton (including Bodica of the Iceni)

English/Saxon

Scots

Irish

French/Frank

Swiss

Norman

Danish

Norwegian

Rhenish

Prussian (possible, depends on which research you believe)

By way of John of Gaunt and legend my ancestry includes Edward III, Henry II, William the Conqueror, Alfred the Great, Egbert, Macbeth, Duncan, Robert the Bruce, Kenneth Macalpin, Charlemagne, Justinian, Marc Antony, Constantine, Wencelas, St. Louis, Joseph of Arimathea, Priam of Troy, King David, King Solomon, St. Stephen (the martyred deacon) and St. James (which one is disputed).

I may also be a cousin of some sort to George Washington.  One of my ancestors was a Matilda Washington who was married to a James Lawrence who went on crusade with Richard the Lionhearted.  Other researchers claim a Washington/Lawrence connection to George Washington, but I’ve never seen any documentation for what the direct link is.

One of my grandfathers also claimed that his mother was a Cherokee Indian from North Carolina.  One of his ancestors did act as something of an agent for some Cherokee Indians in what is now Oklahoma following the Civil War.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>