Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Has anyone been in the military? (Any.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone been in the military? (Any.)
    Posted: 13-May-2008 at 18:01
Not officially a soldier, but I was one of child-soldier (It sounds so awkward...) from the emergency conscription program. (Bad translation, but there you have it) It was the time when North Koreans suddenly increased their armies, so South Korean military temporary mobilized some children near 38 parallel line for few months. We weren't officially in the military, but we did get to practice with guns. (Usually with crappy old AK models that the Armies are throwing out) We did bunch of other things... but simply put, we were preparing for possible North Korean invasion. (In spite of the fact that US reinforcement would easily arrive to Korean soil by the time they cross the minefields, if they can... our government was parnoid and stupid.)

But I can't complain. Not many elementary kids played with assault and sniper rifles (They preferred us to train as sniper due to our physical and close-combat disadvantage against North Koreans.) We got to skip some school days, and our instructors were pretty easy on us... I think it's because we were kids. Korean military is quite harsh, especially to new recruits.

Join us.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 19:28
Originally posted by The Honorary Title

I didn't even think about that. You're right of course. Excuse my newness and unfamiliarity with the this forum.

That's OK. Cheers Welcome.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 23:22

It kind of disturbs the flow if you have to check wikipedia to understand what people are saying on a pretty informal level!

Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 23:39
Before 3 months ended my "career" as a soldier in Greek army.

It was one lost year ,although many interesting experiences were added in my "memory-CV"..

I served as a doctor.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 23:53
How old are you Brainstorm?
Where did you serve?

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2008 at 00:27
Originally posted by Sparten

which part? The cadet, french, or navy?

French being not exactly known to take insubordination kindly or to react propotionally. One of the many things I admire about them.

The program I joined was a three month observation period that would allow you to test yourself and the new job before officially joining for 5 years. What I didn't know was that it is usually used by kids too young to enlist officially but who can join after that 3 months period. The result was that I was surrounded by 30 guys whose aim was to join the commandos marine as soon as possible to have fun blowing things up. Useless to precise that these wannabe Rambos were a bunch of dumb asses. On top of that the classes were designed for them not for me (English 101, how to pilot a ship, basic math), so not interesting at all. So not only did we have to swim every morning in the Atlantic (February) but I learned almost nothing interesting (shooting and using a radio is fun but frankly if I had been interested by that I would have joined the army).
I am a free donkey!
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2008 at 00:45
A lot of interesting observations.  The short term obligations to test interest are like US Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) "Disenrollment On Request."  That  makes sense.  Not everyone is suitable for a commission, or for military service in general.

I was Naval ROTC in university, and served four years active duty, and 16 years reserve (my choice to re-up three times).  At age 60 I get a pension.

I liked the navy.  There is something very, very cool about the naval service.  (Private business pays a lot [a lot] better though. Big%20smile )

"If it moves, salute it; if it doesn't, paint it gray."  (Naval wisdom)

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 14-May-2008 at 01:00
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2008 at 01:10
Pikeshot, I thought you were no older than 35!  My apologies for any previous brashness (which I reserve only for peers).  I'm 26.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2008 at 02:07
Originally posted by Zagros

Pikeshot, I thought you were no older than 35!  My apologies for any previous brashness (which I reserve only for peers).  I'm 26.

I'm not.  LOL
Workhorse 61 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Workhorse 61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 01:43

I agree with Pikeshot that there are a lot of interesting observations on here.  I myself am still on Active Duty.  I am a United States Marine and in June will have 16 years of active service as an enlisted man, and have been, or been near to most of the countries that you all are from. 

Pikeshot, I think your bit of Naval Wisdom is great.  The only thing else that it might be instead of "Paint it gray" is "clean it".

"Ultima Ratio Regnum"
The Ultimate Argument of Kings
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 09:51
Did my national service in the Arctic engineer units.  I used to be placed in the blow-the-bridges kamikaze corps, but seing the constant defence cuts I doubt I'd get an order if the army was to mobilize.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 15-May-2008 at 09:52
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 10:05
They have the most fun ever. The guys in our group who went for an additional three months engineers course, they went all over Pakistan blowing things up. Or so it seemed to us.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 10:14
Originally posted by Sparten

They have the most fun ever. The guys in our group who went for an additional three months engineers course, they went all over Pakistan blowing things up. Or so it seemed to us.

I think so too. Unfortunately I didn't get to blow so much things - I did the service in the building units and we only got the basic destruction courses. I don't know why I was war-time placed in the destruction units. I had a good time nonetheless, the only bad thing was the temperature (down to -40C and less, we were close to the Polar circle) LOL

Edited by Styrbiorn - 15-May-2008 at 10:15
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 10:21
Although the Swedish army is one of my favourite, the fact, it seems to me, is that Sweden does not even need an army.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 10:29
Originally posted by Zagros

Although the Swedish army is one of my favourite, the fact, it seems to me, is that Sweden does not even need an army.

Russophobia is alive and well, and has been since the 18th century. Putin is making a good job to keep it alive in the future as well.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 15-May-2008 at 10:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12