Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abdul Hamid II a success or failure?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
aslanlar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aslanlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abdul Hamid II a success or failure?
    Posted: 07-May-2008 at 23:42
He's a controversial figure indeed. I would like to know what users here think of this Sultan whether he was good or not as accounts on him vary greatly.

On the one hand, the Ottoman empire went through a period of improvement under him, and even gained some territory in the 30 day war against Greece in 1897. There was also the Ottoman constitution of 1876 (although it only lasted for 15 months).

On the other, he was a religious fanatic and desperate to console power. He supressed any nationalist movement (which eventually lead to the hamidian massacres of armenians where up to 80 thousand armenians died) with a cold hand and he even banned the usage of "h20" (water) as he thought people might interpret it as Hamid the 2nd is nothing.

Some people view his as a paranoid tyrant, others as a good leader that found himself in a situation that was out of his hands by 1908 with the coming to power of the CUP. What do people think of him? I'm aiming to get an insight into his personality.

Hopefully, it becomes a good discussion.
"The league is alright when sparrows dispute but it can do little when eagles argue" -Mussolini
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 02:15
I dont know about H2O, or him being a "fanatic". I doubt he was fanatic, and even the Turkish Secularists of today deny the Armenian Massacre strongly.

I will say he had all of the South Asian Muslim World in the palm of his hand. The Khilafat Movement started with him.
Mughal e Azam
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 02:23

Originally posted by aslanlar

There was also the Ottoman constitution of 1876 (although it only lasted for 15 months).

It was obvious that no matter how much pressure the Young Turks applies in order to encourage Westernizing political reform, the established Ottoman elite and the obsolete structures of the Sultanate would not allow any reforms with long-term effects to take root.  They could not hope to build a "new foundation" or at least add new institutions on top of an already rotting old foundation.  Contemporary events did not help either, with Bosnian and Bulgarian insurrections breaking out in 1875-1876.

I wonder what Abdul Hamid thought of Western Europe when he toured several countries with his uncle Sultan Abdulaziz in 1867.  Did he write down any of his observations?

kafkas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote kafkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 03:48
Although I consider him to have been a greedy little bastard who didn't know his arse from his face, I don't think any Sultan could have effectively controlled the fighting between Turks & Kurds on the eastern border with the Armenians. At the time, many Muslims in that region were antagonistic towards Armenians due to Armenian & Russian violence against Muslims in recently conquered regions in the Caucasus and Eastern Anatolia. It was a very traumatic time for Muslims living in newly Orthodox territories and tensions were running high, conveniently nobody seems to ever bring that up.

AHII was failure in nearly all aspects and he had a particular dislike of Turkish nationalism considering he was Circassian and Armenian himself.

Edited by kafkas - 08-May-2008 at 03:50
aslanlar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote aslanlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 05:58
@Mughaal. I had read the h20 thing from Peter Balakians "The Burning Tigris" and the source presented is Robert Kaplan, The Nothing That Is: A Natural History of Zero (Oxford University Press, 2000), 190. Knowing Balakian though, it may be dubious. Does anyone know on the certainty of that? Also, despite a grosly inflated figure for the hamidian massacres, the death of tens of thousands of armenians has to be called a massacre, even if it did start with armenian movements, the extent of Abdul Hamid's 'purges' (which is how i look at it) was too severe.

@Byzantine Emporer. Hmm, i guess you're right, but maybe more reform may have been implimented after San Stefano/Berlin.

@kafkas. At what moment are you talking about with Muslim antagonism against Armenians? I would think there was hardly any resentment most Armenians untill 1890 at atleast 85 when the revolutionary parties popped up. The Ottomans were enemies of Russia for the past century, not Russia + Armenians. Can you back up this claim?
Also, where did you find out he was Armenian? That's very interesting.

@Mods. I understand with the nature of this topic, there will be some discussions to the 'start' of the Armenian "Genocide" and i am well-aware that this is a blacklisted topic. Hopefully, the involvement of the 94-96 era can remain strictly within the boundaries and this can remain an on-topic discussion without being closed. Thank you.
"The league is alright when sparrows dispute but it can do little when eagles argue" -Mussolini
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 07:52
Hello to you all

Sultan Abdul-Hamid is a very controversial character, remember, he literally saved the empire after the flop up of Midhat Pasha in the 77-78 war, had he not gained the support of Germany and Britain and nearly committed them to his cause things would have been much differet yet he still did a lot of mistakes.

Arab nationalists, and they hate the Ottoman empire, as well of course Islamists raised him to the rank of gods, he was a personal favourite of mine. And when you look at the outside, he might have deserved his spot, against all odds he build a massive rail network, he modernized education as well as the military, he made two submarines, his reforms paid off in the 97 war and the supression of small rebellions here and there. And most importantly, he left Turkey out of Europe's business.

Yet he was a dictator. He was responsible for the assasination of several prominant Arab intellectuals. He refused democracy and to listen to people who warned him of the rampant corruption in the empire. Had he allowed the short lived democracy of the 70's live, the young Turks migh have never gained what they did in 1909 and beyond. I think he wrote a memoir, it is very popular here, so look for it.

Al-Jassas
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 10:30
From what I have heard the reason he suspended the constitution was because of the fear the Young Turks power.

This is an article I stumbled across some weeks ago about Abdul Hamid
http://www.thewhitepath.com/archives/2005/12/what_would_the_caliph_do.php

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 11:38
Originally posted by Al Jassas

... he made two submarines.

Well - he ordered and paid for them Big%20smile

One of them was named after him and Abdul Hamid is in the history books as the first submarine to fire a torpedo under water. That was just in trials, and nearly sank the boat since the designer, Thorsten Nordenfelt, had forgotten to allow for the change in buoyancy with the discharge of the torpedo, and the boat ended up vertical.

Designed by a Swede, the boats were built at the Barrow yard in Britain.

Not much of a contribution to the thread, but I thought the anecdote was worth while.
aslanlar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote aslanlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 13:57
Al Jassas. To what extent did Abdul HamidII save the empire? It seems highly unlikely that Britain or France would allow Russia to conquer Istanbul. Even with the large gains of Russia, the effort was simply seen as a failure. What are your views of the Sultans imput into the war?
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 14:49
Hello to you all

Have ever heard of San Stefano? If the sultan didn't taken things into his hands and succeeded in calling the Berlin conference, which was a far better deal than San Stefano, things would have been much worse. As for the submarines, I didn't mean the country made those subs I meant he introduced them to the Imperial fleet. Regardless of what many think, his reign was the  most peacefull 30 year period in the empire's history. The problem was the empire didn't take that chance to turn into a superpower which was his fault.

Al-Jassas
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 17:17
He may have been successful in maintaining the empire, but it came at the cost of antagonizing an increasingly antagonized subject peoples. His rule was brutal and despotic, his idealism was pan-Islamic at a time of increased nationalism. Overall, I say he was one of the figures responsible for build up of tension. Had he been more compromising perhaps he would not have fallen victim to the revolutions later on. Yea, he was successful in prolonging the death of an empire that was far too far gone, at the expense of those within it.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 17:54
On the other, he was a religious fanatic and desperate to console power.

Even he is power hungry, there is not any hint about becoming religious fanatics. 

He supressed any nationalist movement  with a cold hand and he even banned the usage of "h20" (water) as he thought people might interpret it as Hamid the 2nd is nothing.
And he did well. It would be stupid to let nationalist movements to rise. Ottoman empire was a multi cultural empire and history just showed how much he was right.(Thanks to young turks and ittihatists experience.)

He was a good sultan who came at bad times.(Of course, this does not mean he is afreedom lover ext.)

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 18:37
He was also aware that the Ottomans needed a new policy, his appeal to the muslim and Turkic masses was immense. He supported a Pan-Islamist and Pan-Turkist (the distinction being blurred in Southern Russia and Central Asia) which was gaining alot of popularity. For this he is still respected today as a great Sultan with a long term vision.

Murtaza Ottomans were mult-culturist but Abdul Hamit realised that they could not compete with Pan-Slavism, Pan-Hellenism and these other nationalist Pans threatening the Ottomans and so turned to making the Ottomans the centre of the united Ummah.

Edited by Bulldog - 08-May-2008 at 18:39
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 19:34
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello to you all

Have ever heard of San Stefano? If the sultan didn't taken things into his hands and succeeded in calling the Berlin conference, which was a far better deal than San Stefano, things would have been much worse. As for the submarines, I didn't mean the country made those subs I meant he introduced them to the Imperial fleet.
I realise that. I was joking - hence the emoticon. I'm sorry if it didn't come over like that.
aslanlar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote aslanlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 19:49
Ok, well not so much religious fanatic but devoted to the cause of Islam i guess. Yes i know the basic jist of San Stefano, but not really how AbdulHamid used it for his gains. So you are saying he was a pollitically able character?

Yes, it is understandable that his censorship was neccessary but what about the extent of the Armenian Massacres? Also, how many armenians died during these Hamidian massacres? I'm inclined to think 80,000 at most.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 20:08
Aslanlar it is evident to me (as per your threads and posts in the past) that you would take this thread and turn it into an Armenian-Turko rivalry and throw caution to the wind. This thread is moved to the Minefield.

Edited by Seko - 08-May-2008 at 20:08
kafkas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote kafkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 20:19

@kafkas. At what moment are you talking about with Muslim antagonism against Armenians? I would think there was hardly any resentment most Armenians untill 1890 at atleast 85 when the revolutionary parties popped up. The Ottomans were enemies of Russia for the past century, not Russia + Armenians. Can you back up this claim?
Also, where did you find out he was Armenian? That's very interesting.

Abdul Hamid II had an Armenian mother, it's not a secret.  Other than his characteristic physical features, the ethnic origins of Sultans are all very well documented by both Ottoman and Western sources.

It's not true that there wasn't any resentment against Armenians until 1890, there actually was a lot. Maybe western, balkan, and middle eastern Muslims didn't care, but for Muslims living in the Caucasus it was an absolute nightmare. You should read on "muhajirism" which refers to the mass exodus of millions of Circassian, Abkhaz, Ossetian, Ingush, Chechen, Lezgin, Karapapak, Karachay, Chvneburni, Laz, Ubykh, Adjarian, and Tatar people from the Caucasus to the Ottoman Empire. And that's just the Caucasus, I'm not even mentioning the Crimea. Armenians being Orthodox were very pro-Russian and participated with Russians in these policies, so the anti-Armenian sentiment on the eastern Anatolian front which took in a lot of these refugees was really high. Entire ethnic groups were not only deported but killed off in their native lands. The Ubykh language and people for example as a result of these policies are extinct. So I don't think AHII could have controlled a lot of the fighting there unless he was ready to have a lot of his own troops killed in the cross-fire, like I said that region at the time was hell. Most Western sources aren't concerned with people getting killed unless it's their own kind, so there's much more info on this topic in Turkic and Caucasian languages.

Edited by kafkas - 08-May-2008 at 20:24
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 21:19

Yes, it is understandable that his censorship was neccessary but what about the extent of the Armenian Massacres? Also, how many armenians died during these Hamidian massacres? I'm inclined to think 80,000 at most.

I was hoping that this thread would not be banished into oblivion in the minefield.  So much for that, I guess.

Why do we have to rehash the endless debate over the Armenian genocide?  It has been argued over a million times at AE and the outcome is always the same.  It would have been much more interesting and fruitful to discuss the reform constitutions passed during Abdul Hamid II's reign or perhaps his relationship with Western Europe.

aslanlar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote aslanlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 21:38
@Seko. While i have previously wanted a discussion of the armenian "genocide", this topic is strictly concerned with Abdul Hamid II and the hamidian massacres are a part of his reign. The Adana massacres or the period of "genocide" shall not need to be discussed. I even specifically noted that turning this thread into a debate of the armenian "genocide was not my intention and i don't appreciate you insinuating that i will. Nevertheless, there is no problem in continuing the discussion here.
However, with this new subforum, would the creation of an Armenian "Genocide" thread be possible as that would be interesting too?

@Kafka. I wasn't skeptical of his Armenian descent, i find it very interesting.
In regards to public anti-armenian feeling, when do you think the 'Armenian problem' started? Where there anti-armenian crimes against the population before 1890? (keep in mind, the point is anti-armenian, not anti-christian).
aslanlar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote aslanlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 21:40
Well let's discuss those then :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>