Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AE Chart: 200 BC update. Please submit DATES!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AE Chart: 200 BC update. Please submit DATES!
    Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 01:06

For the region of Anatolia, in the Successors Period, there should be the line of the "Antigonid Empire" (rulers, Antigonus I, Demetrius I) which expanded to include much of Greece (303 BC) which remained Antigonid, even after the Antigonid possessions in Anatolia were surrendered to Seleucus 285 BC.  In Antigonid Greece, Antigonus II, son of Demetrius I, remained powerful and from where he expanded to gain possession of Macedonia (277 BC).

I noticed that you locate "Seleucid Empire" in Persia.  It should also include Mesopotamia, for a beginning.  It would expand to include Syria in 301 BC and Anatolia in 285 BC, subjugating "Antigonid Empire".   

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 11:09
For Mesoamerica:
The chart says the Maya states 'stopped' in 1521, but in fact they existed longer. The conquest began in 1524. In the 1540's most city states were conquered, but the last one (Tayasal) wasn't defeated until 1697.
Furthermore you may add that the building of Teotihuacan started about 300 BC.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 11:36
Thx.

I'll probably also add in separate local lines for Mayan, Aztec, and Inca civilizations, since they are the most well known.

Persia, Anatolia and Mesopotamia presents a bit of a problem, and they start to lose its individuality over time, first in the Classical age, and then in the Muslim conquests period. I think what I'll do is at 1 AD, the regional boundaries will be reorder to include new areas such as Africa, SE Asia, while old regions such as Anatolia and Mesopotamia will be "merged", or else there will be a gap in the middle of the chart, which will make it very spread out. Before then, I'll probably just add a note saying "To selucid empire, etc.." in the column.

BTW, do you consider Bactria to be Greek or Iranian?

Edited by Imperator Invictus
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 14:52

should Jomon and Yayoi be in bold?

they weren't countries, they were just ancient cultures

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 02:39

BTW, do you consider Bactria to be Greek or Iranian?

Definitely Iranian, pre-329 BC.  Afterwards, Greek, since 13,000 Greek mercenaries were initially settled there, but more followed soon after.  Independent, c. 256 BC.  Kingdom destroyed by the Sakas, c. 130 BC, but were pushed out by the Tocharians, c. 100 BC. 

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 11:27
Ok. So would you also qualify Ptolemaic and Selcuid as Greek rather than Egyptian and Persian? 
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 23:54
Hmmm.  Good point.  I wouldn't use the term "Greek" then.  A better term would be "Hellenistic".  It would show political dominance and cultural derivation from Greece without having to show local ethnic identity.  That green color you use for Macedonia would suffice, since Macedonia can be viewed as the earliest Hellenistic kingdom (i.e. culturally derived from Greece, without having to show local ethnic origins).
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 11:30
What do you consider to be the extent of significant states of Iranian Nomadic origin? currently, Im planning on having Parthia, Bactria, Kushan Empire, Hephtalites, and Avars (?), but that's all that comes to mind.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12