Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Siberian-Mongolian Heritage of the Americas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: It is there an Siberian-Mongolian heritage in Amerindian culture?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [80.95%]
4 [19.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Siberian-Mongolian Heritage of the Americas
    Posted: 06-May-2008 at 15:23
Originally posted by gcle2003

Pinguin, it's interesting that you once again reject the idea of a black people influencing the Americas.

One in three singers and actors in the United States are Blacks. How come I could believe that. However, it is a fact Blacks only arrived in the Americas in the last four centuries.

The original inhabitants couldn't have been australoid,

They could, but they weren't.

Africans could not have crossed the Atlantic to America

They couldn't and they didn't.

(though pretty well anyone else could have crossed it in either direction), 

Not everyone was a good sailor in ancient times. Europeans, in particular, were quite afraid of lossing sight of the coast.

music in Latin America was only minimally influenced by Africans (you had to admit that). And that's just in the last week or so.

You know nothing about Latin America and its music. Please study it before continuing showing your ignorance... (where did I hear something like that before?)

Mentioning the Ainu doesn't affect anything. They aren't black and there's no real reason to classify them as australoid. The wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainu_people 
doesn't even mention the word.

I see... You are acussing me of East Asian nationalism LOL

Now, seriously, you are so hypocrite accusing me of racism, when you just reject any Middle Eastern influence in European Music...
Come on, without Arabs, Persians, et al, Europeans would still be playing the lyre, like Nero did LOL

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 16:19

Originally posted by pinguin

Pinguin, it's interesting that you once again reject the idea of a black people influencing the Americas.

One in three singers and actors in the United States are Blacks. How come I could believe that. However, it is a fact Blacks only arrived in the Americas in the last four centuries.

And according to you, only had minimal influence on the music of the continent. Which is a bad joke.

The original inhabitants couldn't have been australoid,

They could, but they weren't.

You see, there you go denying the possibility.

Africans could not have crossed the Atlantic to America

They couldn't and they didn't.

And there you go again. You can't admit any possible taint. Unless you are absolutely forced to. You have to admit there were black slaves, but they couldn't possibly have had much influence, oh no!

(though pretty well anyone else could have crossed it in either direction),

Not everyone was a good sailor in ancient times. Europeans, in particular, were quite afraid of lossing sight of the coast.

Nobody liked losing sight of the coast, until proper navigational aids were available.
Once agin, you single out 'Europeans' for criticism.

And of course not everyone was a good sailor in ancient times. Not too many people are even today. I bet you can no more navigate than play - or even understand - music.

music in Latin America was only minimally influenced by Africans (you had to admit that). And that's just in the last week or so.

You know nothing about Latin America and its music. Please study it before continuing showing your ignorance... (where did I hear something like that before?)

I've studied it for years. I was a semi-pro dance musician in the fifties, when no-one was going anywhere socially without at least the samba, rhumba and tango, and a little later the mambo and cha-cha. I was a fan for a while of Yma Sumac, though I doubt very much her music was all that genuinely Andean. In fact I knew about Latin American music before I'd studied Arabic, Indian, Chinese or Japanes music.

Give up. You just make yourself out an idiot admitting you're no musician and at the same time claiming you know more about music than people who are.

Mentioning the Ainu doesn't affect anything. They aren't black and there's no real reason to classify them as australoid. The wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainu_people
doesn't even mention the word.

I see... You are acussing me of East Asian nationalism

No. I'm simply recording your statements.

Now, seriously, you are so hypocrite accusing me of racism, when you just reject any Middle Eastern influence in European Music...

Nothing racist about that. As I pointed out I also reject the idea that Arabic music (which is what you were talking about, not 'Middle Eastern music', whatever that is) influenced Chinese, Japanese or African music, and I don't see it had any influence at all on Indian (Indo-Pakistan-Bangla Deshi-Sri Lankan) music. On the other hand I admire Arabic (classical) music a great deal: it's far more complex and subtle than Chinese or Japanese and compares with European and Indian music (though the last edges out the others in complexity at least).

Once more - the proof here is in the music itself. It's well recorded (both in notated form and actually on disc), the descent and development of European from Greek is well documented (we even have Boethius' translation of Greek authorities in De institutione musica libri quinque), Arabic music is also commonly available - and the two styles of music are about as different as two musical styles can be.

There is factually no resemblance at all between the two traditions. None. that's why they can't even be played (properly) on the same instruments except the violin family and maybe the slide trombone.

I even have one of the Eddie Kochak- Hakki Obadiah - Fred Elias so-called Ameraba recordings, which attempt some kind of fusion of Arab and European tradition, but it really only works because they have an Arab front line on top of an American rhythm section.

But all of this goes straight past your empty head, doesn't it? Because you claim you know better than people who have studied the subject, and you want to build your own fantasy world.

That's your problem.

Come on, without Arabs, Persians, et al, Europeans would still be playing the lyre, like Nero did

There you go again inviting people to laugh at you. Is the secret behind all this that you are some kind of masochist who enjoys making himself look ridiculous?

Without Arabs, Persians, et al, Europeans would be playing exactly the same instruments they play today in orchestras and bands. Your assertion otherwise is not only unfounded, it is just plain stupid.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 18:27

And according to you, only had minimal influence on the music of the continent. Which is a bad joke.

Why you came to this thread to trol? This thread is about the Siberian heritage of the Americas, if you didn't see the title.

And there you go again. You can't admit any possible taint. Unless you are absolutely forced to. You have to admit there were black slaves, but they couldn't possibly have had much influence, oh no!

Once again. What has that got to do with the topic in this thread?

And of course not everyone was a good sailor in ancient times. Not too many people are even today. I bet you can no more navigate than play - or even understand - music.

Why you put the discussion down to the personal level, particularly when you don't know me. I try to not offend you as a person, but attack the ideas I find wrong. Please do the same.

I've studied it for years. I was a semi-pro dance musician in the fifties, when no-one was going anywhere socially without at least the samba, rhumba and tango, and a little later the mambo and cha-cha. I was a fan for a while of Yma Sumac, though I doubt very much her music was all that genuinely Andean. In fact I knew about Latin American music before I'd studied Arabic, Indian, Chinese or Japanes music.

Too much cha-cha-cha has confussed you. Music for having fun during the weekends is not all that Latin America has. Just read the lyrics of those songs and you'll find out how idiot they are... and you call that the main music of Latin America. Gimme a break. Study Folk and traditional music, instead of rythmic music for burdels.

Give up. You just make yourself out an idiot admitting you're no musician and at the same time claiming you know more about music than people who are.

So you need to be an mechanical engineer to notice that a car was built in the 50s instead of the 80s. You are just an arrogant musician, that don't even have a good hear. I bet.

Nothing racist about that. As I pointed out I also reject the idea that Arabic music (which is what you were talking about, not 'Middle Eastern music', whatever that is) influenced Chinese, Japanese or African music, and I don't see it had any influence at all on Indian (Indo-Pakistan-Bangla Deshi-Sri Lankan) music. On the other hand I admire Arabic (classical) music a great deal: it's far more complex and subtle than Chinese or Japanese and compares with European and Indian music (though the last edges out the others in complexity at least).

Excuses. You are an excelent example of the way some Europeans rejects the contributions of Islamic countries to human culture. Yes, you can even admire and collect muslim music, but you get angry with the idea they have influenced Europe the slightest bit.

Edited by pinguin - 06-May-2008 at 18:29
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 23:32

Why you came to this thread to trol? This thread is about the Siberian heritage of the Americas, if you didn't see the title.
I was responding to your post that said, inter alia:
Originally posted by Pinguin

I have a very sad feeling with respect to that "australoid" theory.

What happened, dear omshanti, is that during the 19th century -the century of racist anthropology- the people of Patagonia and Australia were considered by Darwin and many others as the "most primitive kind of man". Since then, the natives of Patagonia were associated by "scientists" to the Australian aborigines.

I don't know if you knew, but Patagonian natives were kidnapped and exhibed like circus curiousities in France, during the 19th century. Women were rapped and most of them died of diseases in Europe, where they lived in chains most of the times. And all that was because those people believed the Patagonian people were "primitive". Shocked

What does that have to do with Siberian ancestry? I was in any case simply drawing your attention to a series of rather similar positions, worrying to some of us, that you have taken in various threads, that were relevant to all of them. I suppose I could have opened a new thread, but I didn't think it worthwhile.

Once again. What has that got to do with the topic in this thread?

Why you put the discussion down to the personal level, particularly when you don't know me. I try to not offend you as a person, but attack the ideas I find wrong. Please do the same.
I have been attacking your wrong ideas. You have admitted your ignorance yourself.

Too much cha-cha-cha has confussed you. Music for having fun during the weekends is not all that Latin America has. Just read the lyrics of those songs and you'll find out how idiot they are... and you call that the main music of Latin America. Gimme a break. Study Folk and traditional music, instead of rythmic music for burdels.
Burdels?

Why don't you give me an example of the real music of Latin America then? And don't bother with Andean folk, since, like Cherokee, it may be American, but it isn't Latin. (Incidentally, Andean folk groups were commonplace in Europe a few years ago, though they seem to have got rarer, at least around here, in the last year or two.)

In fact why don't you give me some evidence you know what you are talking about? (In the other thread, of course.)

So you need to be an mechanical engineer to notice that a car was built in the 50s instead of the 80s. You are just an arrogant musician, that don't even have a good hear. I bet.
Nuts. If you've never seen a car before, and don't know what one is, how can you tell whether it was built in the 'fifties or the 'sixties? Especially if you don't know what "'fifties" and "'sixties" mean.

Excuses. You are an excelent example of the way some Europeans rejects the contributions of Islamic countries to human culture. Yes, you can even admire and collect muslim music, but you get angry with the idea they have influenced Europe the slightest bit.
Just to be clear, because you are distorting things again, I accept the contributions Islamic countries have made to European culture and knowledge. Unlike you I have no prejudice in this regard, and no political point to make.

What I reject utterly is that Arab music had any influence on the development of European music in the middle ages.

I don't get angry with it. It's just a foolish unfounded idea. What I get angry with is jumped up know nothings who try and make political points with complete disregard to the facts of the issue.

Edited by gcle2003 - 06-May-2008 at 23:34
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 00:48

And don't bother with Andean folk, since, like Cherokee, it may be American, but it isn't Latin.

I see. You call me an ignorant, but you don't see your contradictions. If Andean folk is not Latin because it has Indian roots, why should be Latin the music of Cuba or Puerto Rico, that is rooted in Africa? Think about it, your argument has no logic at all. Besides, it show you have no idea about Latin America.

What does that have to do with Siberian ancestry? I was in any case simply drawing your attention to a series of rather similar positions, worrying to some of us, that you have taken in various threads, that were relevant to all of them. I suppose I could have opened a new thread, but I didn't think it worthwhile.

Why to worry. Everyone has its own opinions, and no two people agree in everything. 

So, I accept we have been going around in here. So, please, let's go back to the topic.

Edited by pinguin - 07-May-2008 at 00:58
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 12:02

And don't bother with Andean folk, since, like Cherokee, it may be American, but it isn't Latin.

I see. You call me an ignorant, but you don't see your contradictions. If Andean folk is not Latin because it has Indian roots, why should be Latin the music of Cuba or Puerto Rico, that is rooted in Africa?
Andean folk doesn't have Indian roots, it is Indian. If you're referring to something like Huayño that's a hybrid and yes would be Latin American, because it combines both roots.

Cuban and Puerto Rican music is Latin American because it's a variety of music developed in Latin America among immigrants from the Latin countries of Europe, even though it does derive considerably (not exclusively) from African roots.

You'd have possible a better case for arguing Trinidad and Jamaica should not be called 'Latin America', but that doesn't alter the fact that they are usually so classed, and they were Spanish colonies. (And what language is 'Trinidad' from?)

Think about it, your argument has no logic at all. Besides, it show you have no idea about Latin America.

Why to worry. Everyone has its own opinions, and no two people agree in everything. 
But some opinions are unacceptable in this forum.

So, I accept we have been going around in here. So, please, let's go back to the topic.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 14:34
Are you crazy? Andes music is hybrid as much as Hispanic Caribbean or Brazilian music.
Just see the instruments: Charango is a miniature Spanish guitar, Bombo is the military Spanish drum in rustic version, and, of course, quenas and zamponas are Amerindian. The music is so hybrid that many times are song in Quechua, Aymara and Spanish simultaneously.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 15:10

Are you crazy? Andes music is hybrid as much as Hispanic Caribbean or Brazilian music.
Just see the instruments: Charango is a miniature Spanish guitar, Bombo is the military Spanish drum in rustic version, and, of course, quenas and zamponas are Amerindian. The music is so hybrid that many times are song in Quechua, Aymara and Spanish simultaneously. 

I said Andean folk music.

The kind of music you are talking about is all modern (post-Columbus).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 16:23

Andes folk is hybrid.

I bet you mean Indigenous music. It does exist but I doubt it is ever heared outside here. Very few indigenous groups preserve theirs music intact after 500 years of influences.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 21:16

Andes folk is hybrid.

I bet you mean Indigenous music.
Yes of course. That's what makes it folk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2008 at 17:13
Back to the topic. This comment went in another thread but is very interesting. It discuss the idea that perhaps certain patterns crossed Beringia!

Originally posted by Jams

Tkoletsis, I think a good place to start will be here:

Notice the part about Neolithic patterns.

Assuming that the pattern likeness between Greece and Maya patterns has any greater significance is jumping to conclusions without really researching other possibilities.

Example:

Pattern from 23,000 years BC!

10,000 BC!

I don't think it has anything to do with GreeceCool 
From the article:

"The same basic elements, "positive" and "negative" square with diagonals, is also preserved in another very ancient kind of art: in the art of mazes. That art, known from Greek mazes (labyrinth from Knossos), Roman mazes [28, 29], or Celtic mazes (Fig. 13) [30, 31], probably comes from much older, Neolithic or even Paleolithic origin. "

The basic spiral pattern is used all around the world, and it was probably used by the people populating the Americas before they even crossed the Beringa.
Sukhbaatar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Sukhbaatar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 08:59

This is a very freaky topic Confused

Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 20:27

Siberian

Wow! that guy wouldn't look out of place at a pow-wow! Shocked
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2008 at 02:58

Actually, some Siberians have been invited to pow-wows already... and they haven't feel out of place.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 19:50
Hello to you all

This thread has been on my mind for some time and here it goes. a famous historian here, Hussain Mounis, wrote a book about civilizations i generals and he had some interesting theories. One of them that has been on my mind was the "fossilised civilizations".

In essence, he says that some civilizations become stuck in time and even space. That is they become like "fossiles". He gives examples on cultures that only have three words for counting, one, two and many. Anything above two in those civilizations is called many. These tribes, as archaeological discoveries prove, live almost exactly the same life their ancestors lived thousands of years. The same cultural patterns occure in isolated society belonging to the same group, he is talikng about african and Polynesian societies, despite they have been isolated for mellenia.

now, based on this model, I think that the native american cultures, particularly that of the nomadic cultures from the Yaghan to the inuits, are fossilised cultures, representing what Siberian natives were like 15000 years ago.

To support my arguments I will chose religion and you might drag this to other aspects. But first i must admit my knowledge is quite meager w.r.t. native american studies and history. The religion of all native american nomadic tribes, as far as I know, is based on nature worship and animism. this kind of religion is the most basic religion of all and all so called "primitive" cultures particularly those geographically isolated ones share this. However, Aztecs, Mayas and other sedentry cultures have much "higher" religions comparable to those of ancient greece and Egypt. The myths and legends are quite similar between them. Now while the Siberian cultures have a much different course none the less one can still identify ancient relics still existant in their culture mainly in the animism of those cultures. 

I would have gone to linguistics but I am not an expert, so, what do you think?

Al-Jassas 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 22:37

I absolutely agree with your approach.

It seems those "primitive" cultures are the common background of all the civilizations that came later. So, no wonder most tribal people on the planet share similar ways of shamanism, artistic patterns, and also certain physical elements like some weapons, boats, fishing hooks, needles, etc.

Edited by pinguin - 14-Aug-2008 at 22:38
Bernard Woolley View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Bernard Woolley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 04:50
I'm afraid I don't agree with this at all. I believe animistic religion has more to do with nomadism than with the level of a society's development per se. To use the Inuit as an example, they needed to develop a higher level of technological sophistication than did early agricultural societies (off the top of my head, some technologies essential to traditional Inuit life include oil lamps, sewn clothing, fishing boats, and domesticated animals).

Their animistic religion was appropriate for them because its mythology contained lessons about the way animals interact with each other, which they needed to know to survive. A civic religion equivalent to christianity, which contains many lessons about how people interact but has none about animals, would have been of little use to tribes who rarely encountered strangers.

It's also worth noting that the Inuit appeared relatively recently, so whatever their culture is, it's definitely not 15,000 years old - nobody had the technology to pursue their lifestyle 15,000 years ago.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 06:46
I agree with you that the Inuit culture was more advanced than the ones that existed by the time of Bering crossing. However, the examples you choose to il ustrate the difference seem to me to be wrong. Sewing cloths and fishing boats are very old and there is no reason to believe they didn't exist 15.000 years ago. The kayak is probably a recent invention, but more primitive boats must had exist, and also fur clothes must be quite old.
Some more modern things Inuits had are domesticated animals, iron working and oil lamps. Also, things like the detachable arpoon, and the drilling tool are relatively recent and part of inuit culture.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 15:28
Hello to you all

Well Pinguin you either agree with me or with Bernard so which is which?

As for inuit religion, well I adimitted I am not keen on Amerindian heritage particularly as one goes north. However one must initially ask, were the inuits really isolated from the outside world like the Amerindians were? I doubt it and think they had many contacts with Siberian peoples who were not isolated from developements down south since it was within their perimiters. A second note is is the religious beliefs of the inuits are truelly animists, I mean I read that the inuit religion was higher than that of the nomadic peoples down south and much more elaborate and complex which indicated a higher cultural developement which actually agrees somewhat with my theory.

I am positive that there were studies made in this way because if there weren't I should switch to anthropology and study the thing myself!

Al-Jassas
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 16:49
When the world began, our ancestors say, three brothers lived in Altay. They split up, leading their peoples to populate the Earth. One went west towards Turkey and Europe. One stayed in Altay. And one went east over the Beiring Strait to America.
-Nadya Yuguseva-

she's a shaman from Altay
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>