Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If your country was successfully attacked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Would you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [48.84%]
1 [2.33%]
10 [23.26%]
6 [13.95%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.98%]
2 [4.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If your country was successfully attacked
    Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 14:10

what does sollen mean?

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 14:26
It depends.
"Die sollen nur kommen" means "Let them come".
"Wer soll denn kommen?" means "Who should come then?"

Sollen, "shall, are to,are to be"

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 14:31

Originally posted by Komnenos

It depends.
"Die sollen nur kommen" means "Let them come".
"Wer soll denn kommen?" means "Who should come then?"

Sollen, "shall, are to,are to be"

i see

thanks

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 09:59

Originally posted by Komnenos

This has been from the very beginning the most infantile and absurd discussion. Before you make all this heroic and but meaningless statements, why don't you explain who and why might attack and invade your country.
Who's gonna attack the USA or even Germany? Are we talking aliens here, the Vogons or the Borg?
The only countries that have to worry at the moment are the member states of Bush's "Axis of Evil". But the rest! Get real!
Yes Master of Disaster, I just can imagine, the good citiziens of Germany forming militias and fighting it out in the jungles of the Black Forest or in the streets of Wanne-Eickel! Very funny!
Wer soll denn kommen?

Getting real? How?
A big war in Europe or even in the Americas is highly improbable. So of course the nation that is attacking, has to use a lot (and by that, I mean A LOT) of military power if it does not want to be beaten by NATO. There is virtually no nation of earth that would dare attack any NATO member or start any bigger conflict on the continents mentioned (I do not care about nations with nukes right now, as a nuclear strike would leave the attacked country, if not the whole region, in ruins anyway so that there is nothing left to fight about).
The question is what I would do if Germany was atacked. So looking at the situation, there is no chance of war; the question becomes hypothetical. And so is my answer.

Of course, if now the question is what countries like North Korea or Syria would do, the result would be fairly different.

Edited by Master of Disaster
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 10:14
Originally posted by Master of Disaster

The question is what I would do if Germany was atacked. So looking at the situation, there is no chance of war; the question becomes hypothetical. And so is my answer.

Of course, if now the question is what countries like North Korea or Syria would do, the result would be fairly different.

My point entirely.
What I was trying to say is, that everybody, instead of portraying themselves as the patriotic defenders of the motherland(... or the fatherland in our case), should have declared that firstly for the vast majority there is no immediate or future danger os attack or invasion whatsoever and secondly,and secondly one just cannot say what one would do in a situation like that until this situation actually arrises. It's all purely hypothetical and therefore absolutely meaningless.

Look at our own history, what made some of the Germans henchmen of the Nazis, some onlookers and some active opponents of the regime?
My mother's family was split right in the middle, some were Nazis, some were Communists.I will never understand why that should have been the case, cause I wasn't there at the time and had to make decisions for myself.
Tlaloc View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tlaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 21:27
Heh.."complain to the UN"..Whoever chose that has greatly amused me by their naivete.

I suppose I'd fight back..it really depends, though. You never know, since we've never been in this situation.
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 22:30
3 people chose to complaint o the UN
In that time that it took them to accomplish nothing they could go to the woods and set up partisan bases.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 02:59
or become a collaborator and enjoy a nice comfy new promotion, dont forget that option!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 22:37
Personally I'd treat it as a golden opportunity to learn a new language and chance to meet exotic new people....
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Drunt Ba'adur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Drunt Ba'adur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 06:29
i'm not sure. Who is invading Spain? why?
emigrate to another country as soon as possible? fight? It all depends
Cassivellaunus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cassivellaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 00:00

Ditto, Drunt Ba'adur. I guess this is just a thread to excersise our egos.

We Brits'll fight 'em on the beaches! We'll fight 'em in the hills! We'll fight 'em 24/7 (except at tea time and on weekends)!

Complaining to the UN has its prospects (besides an early demise) seeing as how we practically are the UN. If France was to be consulted in the matter, though, they would be too busy laughing at us from behind their croisants a la fromage and their svelte Euro dollars to lift a finger in our defense.

Britain isn't even a world power anymore (hardly). We have lots of rain and livestock and little else. Even land developement is out of the question nowadays. No one stands to gain anything (except soggy clothes, back cramps and a little island full of pompous, monocle-sporting autocrats who get clobbered at cricket far too often than should be concievable).

I'd say we're safe for the timebeing.

"Why do you cower in your trenches, men? They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
- Last words of General John Sedgewick
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 21:39
Fight the invaders every step of the way.
Aquila View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Aquila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 23:28
I voted militia because militia is formed from dangerously armed men, i.e. farmers. By the way I am dead serious. That is why the Americans won independence, every farmer had a gun and knew how to use it!!!
Aquila©2004 Victor Chevalier
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 23:37
Well, if aliens invaded all the big nations of the world, would the world come together to drive out the alien invaders?
Tlaloc View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tlaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 11:50
would the world come together to drive out the alien invaders?

No. Half the world would be fighting to get their favour, and the other half would be fighting the first half because they'd envy them.
Slickmeister View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Slickmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 13:12

In reference to the original question, it depends on who the invader is and the intentions they have. If I was in a country with a Hitler act-alike and invaded by a country with the intentions to depose the dictator, I'd side with invaders. But if my country was invaded by a merciless force, I'd fight back using guerillalike style warfare. If Aliens invaded, I'd laugh. Then I would hide, and pray God that the aliens would not find me and let the rapture begin.

Marcus Regulus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Marcus Regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 13:24

I would fight.  Sorry, being conquered is never historically good -- there going to pay for stepping on this land.

Marcus Regulus
"Are you still so dull?" Jesus to his disciples
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 15:35
Originally posted by Aquila

I voted militia because militia is formed from dangerously armed men, i.e. farmers.

I agree with you. Here is our local militia,all farmers, armed and dangerous, ready to repell any invader from their fields and dungheaps.

Cassivellaunus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cassivellaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 22:19
Whoa! I pity the invaders...
"Why do you cower in your trenches, men? They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
- Last words of General John Sedgewick
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 11:40

Guerrilla !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>