Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who was the 1st to discover America?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who was the 1st to discover America?
    Posted: 25-Apr-2008 at 01:01
But Columbus task was to cross the Ocean Sea to the unknown, during months, in search of India.... Leif Ericsson just found Labrador by casuality, in the same way that Inuits discovered Alaska and North America LOL.
 Leif explored because a merchant, Bjarni Herjolfsson, got blown off course. He went looking for it, he didn't do it by mistake.
If anything, Perhaps you should compare Eric the Red to Columbus, rather than Ericsson. Because Eric the Red went west in search of new lands, and his discovery (Greenland) was magnificent, because the courage he had. No accidents were involved there
Same with his son, Leif, like I mentioned above.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2008 at 04:02
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Originally posted by Pinguin

Unfortunatelly I don't read Greenlander. I haven't found the sagas in English either; less in Spanish. I just have access to comments on them many experts have done.
I've seen some translations in English. Here's one after a quick search:
But it's worrying you make such conclusive statements about what Leif thought he discovered without knowing the text.

That's great. Thanks.

I take it as final concession for your lack of arguments in this discussion.

Please, just don't assume things. Particularly my ignorace on Norse, which is not such.

For instance, in the "magic realistic" thread about "Amerindians and Norse in Europe", right besides this thread in this section, I argue that Columbus went to Greenland and there got information about the New World. Curiosly enough, many people is skeptical to that possibility, although is documented by Columbus son, Ferdinand, himself.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2008 at 04:04
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

...Leif explored because a merchant, Bjarni Herjolfsson, got blown off course.

I see. So, Norses discovered the Americas by the same method Americans reached Europe in pre-Columbian times... By accident LOLWink
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2008 at 04:11
I am really disgusted by some of our member's behavior.  I think this needs a cool down period.     

Thread locked.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2008 at 15:51
If it goes into the gutter again I'll close it for good.  topic open.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2008 at 16:27
Originally posted by pinguin

The genocide on the North American Indian by the white man. I said that very clearly in the other post. Read.

No, you certainly didn't. I asked what genocide Northern Europeans made. In your earlier post you were only talking about the exterminations of the Carribean and Northern American natives. There were no Northern Europeans involved there, just Spanish and, with a stretch, British (although genocide doesn't apply in that case).

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

I don't own you sh*t, so cut this nonsense.

If you want to talk like bus driver, you could do it in another place. I won't accept insults here.

That was not an insult: it was a demand to stop making outrageous claims. An insult is personal; for example telling someone "he is talking like a bus driver". Which is also an insult to all bus drivers, by the way. I agree the sentence was harshly worded, though. I apologize to the moderators, will keep it more civil.

The descendants of those who raped, stole and conquered the Americas still live in the Americas.
So? What's your point.

Well, you seem to think Europe owes you something, because some people from a very few part of Europe made nasty things in the Americas. But even if you do think that descendants should pay for what their ancestors did - I don't, just for the record, believe in this kind of thinking - then you should look in your own continent instead, because that's where those people lived, and that's where their descendants live.

They were twenty people living in ten shacks, that get the hell out of the Americas to Greenland at the first throuble LOL....

And now you go ahead and diminishes what other people did. Again. They lived in houses, not shacks. Neither did they leave at first trouble. Should I go ahead and talk about Africans living in huts I would have been banned before I hit the post button.

Please, don't exagerate the merits of Vikings. The Inuits made the same kind of discovery comming from Siberia, 2000 years before the Norse. And from Siberia to Alaska there is about the same distance than between Greenland and Labrador Big%20smile

1) They weren't Vikings, rather farmers and fishermen.
2) 2000 years ago you could walk over Bering's Strait without wetting your feet, it was frequently frozen in.

Anyway, no one is exaggerating the merits. Who said the Norse conquered all of the Americas?
I'm really curious how you in one sentence talk about the glorious Columbus, and in the next demand repatriations. Columbus was one of the worst abusers, and started the whole mess. Shouldn't he be the villain number one?

Edited by Styrbiorn - 26-Apr-2008 at 16:39
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2008 at 16:58

No, you certainly didn't. I asked what genocide Northern Europeans made. In your earlier post you were only talking about the exterminations of the Carribean and Northern American natives. There were no Northern Europeans involved there, just Spanish and, with a stretch, British (although genocide doesn't apply in that case).

Yeap, the Black Legend ride again. Spaniards were evil, and the Northern Europeans are the good guys. People forget, though that Norther Europeans burn 100 times more witches than infidels the Spanish inquisition Confused

Well, you seem to think Europe owes you something, because some people from a very few part of Europe made nasty things in the Americas. But even if you do think that descendants should pay for what their ancestors did - I don't, just for the record, believe in this kind of thinking - then you should look in your own continent instead, because that's where those people lived, and that's where their descendants live.

I don't care much about Europe, really, and I don't hate it at all. I don't think they owe me anything. Perhaps to Bolivians, Native Americans or Africans, but not to me. My ancestors were Natives and Europeans that migrated to this land ESCAPING from the hunger and wars of the Europe. They leave it for good, I guess.

And now you go ahead and diminishes what other people did. Again. They lived in houses, not shacks. Neither did they leave at first trouble. Should I go ahead and talk about Africans living in huts I would have been banned before I hit the post button.

Curious. If I describe the houses of ancient mapuches I have to say they lived in shacks. If I describe the same kind of house, with the same handcrafship in people of Northern Europe I can't say the same.  That's  weird.  Confused

2) 2000 years ago you could walk over Bering's Strait without wetting your feet, it was frequently frozen in.

Please, documentation about your postulate above. People walked to the Americas 2000 years ago? Please prove it.

I'm really curious how you in one sentence talk about the glorious Columbus, and in the next demand repatriations. Columbus was one of the worst abusers, and started the whole mess. Shouldn't he be the villain number one?

First, go to find out about your sources on Columbus. Clean then first from Northern European propaganda and the Black Legend.

Second, prove that Columbus was the worst.

Third, Columbus was punished by the crown because his abusses in both Indians and colones and brought in chain to Spain. Columbus was forgotten in life by Spain.

Fouth, the main source of Spanish abuses is Las Casas, who, although worked for a good cause, it is not very reliable as a source... It was a little bit exagerated.

Fifth. Columbus has its merit as a pioneer and the man that opened up the Americas to the old world. Nobody can't change that.

You don't pull down Eric the Red because he was a murderer, but appreciate him as a great explorer. The same with Columbus.

Edited by pinguin - 26-Apr-2008 at 17:01
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2008 at 17:20

Yeap, the Black Legend ride again. Spaniards were evil, and the Northern Europeans are the good guys. People forget, though that Norther Europeans burn 100 times more witches than infidels the Spanish inquisition Confused

I don't even know what "Black LEgend" you talk about.
Neither did I say the Northern Europeans were angels, they've had their fair share of atrocities. But they were never involved in any 'genocide' in the Americas.

Curious. If I describe the houses of ancient mapuches I have to say they lived in shacks. If I describe the same kind of house, with the same handcrafship in people of Northern Europe I can't say the same.  That's  weird.  Confused

So it was a language problem then? For future reference:

Longhouse:

Shack:

;)

Please, documentation about your postulate above. People walked to the Americas 2000 years ago? Please prove it.

I never postulated that people walked over: but there's quite a probability. The Bering strait freezes sometimes now, it should have done so more often during the colder past. Don't get it the wrong way though.

First, go to find out about your sources on Columbus. Clean then first from Northern European propaganda and the Black Legend.

What propaganda, what "Black Legend"? Why don't you show me some "Northern European" propaganda, because I do'nt know what you are talking about.

Second, prove that Columbus was the worst.

Never said he was.

Third, Columbus was punished by the crown because his abusses in both Indians and colones and brought in chain to Spain. Columbus was forgotten in life by Spain.

Exactly my point.

Fifth. Columbus has its merit as a pioneer and the man that opened up the Americas to the old world. Nobody can't change that.

No one is trying.

You don't pull down Eric the Red because he was a murderer, but appreciate him as a great explorer. The same with Columbus.

True.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 26-Apr-2008 at 17:24
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2008 at 20:57

Originally posted by Pinguin

So it was a language problem then? For future reference:

Longhouse:

Nice shack.

LOL

Edited by pinguin - 26-Apr-2008 at 20:57
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 04:27

The reconstruction of L'Anse au Meadows, New Foundland.   There were 8 main structures plus a number of smaller ones.  Population has been put at about 75.  From what's known about the expedition, this may have been only an outpost.

Edited by red clay - 27-Apr-2008 at 04:46
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 12:17
That's a good point, Red Clay. I also saw on TV they were only an outpost for summer logging and fishing, because the colony was in Greenland.

Now, I started to wonder about the name Greenland. Perhaps that land got that name because its proximity with Labrador. Perhaps Greenland was not only the island itself but also the American territories close to it, and dependent of it. That's the only way, I believe, the name "Green" would have sense.

Now, it made sense to put the colony in Greenland, because it was closer to Iceland and Europe, from which supplies would come. So Greenland lived from the resources of the Americas such as timber, the local fishing in greenland, cow milking. and the trade with Europe.

Edited by pinguin - 27-Apr-2008 at 12:20
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 12:31

Now, I started to wonder about the name Greenland. Perhaps that land got that name because its proximity with Labrador. Perhaps Greenland was not only the island itself but also the American territories close to it, and dependent of it. That's the only way, I believe, the name "Green" would have sense.

Greenland was named Greenland in order to attract settlers - furthermore it was discovered decades before America.

Now, it made sense to put the colony in Greenland, because it was closer to Iceland and Europe, from which supplies would come. So Greenland lived from the resources of the Americas such as timber, the local fishing in greenland, cow milking. and the trade with Europe.

Yes. The last trip to the Americas to collect lumber was made in the 14th century iirc, just before the settlement vanished.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 27-Apr-2008 at 12:33
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 13:13
As far as I can see, Greenland is part of America. Why wouldn't it be?

The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 13:21
Originally posted by red clay

The reconstruction of L'Anse au Meadows, New Foundland.   There were 8 main structures plus a number of smaller ones.  Population has been put at about 75.  From what's known about the expedition, this may have been only an outpost.

That looks like home!Cheers
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 13:28

... But how weren't they part of a different world? Have you read any Norse saga (just for the sake of tasting their perception) or you're just making things out to match with your preconceptions?
Unfortunatelly I don't read Greenlander. I haven't found the sagas in English either; less in Spanish. I just have access to comments on them many experts have done.I admire Norse, indeed. I don't like, though, the idea of using them to put Columbus in the shadow.

You don't have to read Old Norse to read the Sagas. Most have been translated into English already. The fact that you can't find one in English is the shear laziness of not looking on your part. But, for you, I will post a translation of the Saga of Erik the Red (Leif's father), in which Leif discovers Vinland, from project gutenburg.The Saga of Erik the Red

Edited by King John - 15-May-2008 at 22:19
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 14:58

That's a good point, Red Clay. I also saw on TV they were only an outpost for summer logging and fishing, because the colony was in Greenland.

Actually I follow the theory that this was part of a larger colony, with the main settlement farther south.  Maybe as far south as Massachusetts.
As far as anyone knows, there was no trade with Europe or Iceland.

Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 17:45
What is the evidence of settlement in Massachusetts?
There is a point in that, though. If Vinland really meant the "land of wine", then the most likely place to be is in the U.S., rather than in New Foundland, because the American grapes growth in North Eastern U.S.
ehecatzin View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ehecatzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2008 at 01:39
well the first europeans to get to America where the vikings, but seriously, the fact that they got there before any other european have almost no impact on the international scenery, its like it never happend.

The thing that makes Columbus so important its not wether he was first or not, but that his discovery (wether he knew or not if it was a new continent) did have a massive impact on the international scene, yes it was not Asia, but the sole believe that it was the new route to the far east got every european nation exited and sending ships over the sea.

we know how the rest of the story goes.

I dont see whats so important about claiming "we got there first"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 01:18
Originally posted by ehecatzin

well the first europeans to get to America where the vikings, but seriously, the fact that they got there before any other european have almost no impact on the international scenery, its like it never happend.

The thing that makes Columbus so important its not wether he was first or not, but that his discovery (wether he knew or not if it was a new continent) did have a massive impact on the international scene, yes it was not Asia, but the sole believe that it was the new route to the far east got every european nation exited and sending ships over the sea.

we know how the rest of the story goes.

I dont see whats so important about claiming "we got there first"

Absolutely agree! Cheers
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 21:44

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

...They made a clear distinction between Greenland and Vinland. They also used Vinland for timber so they could keep the Greenland settlements going.

By the way, Greenland is considered apart of North America by geogrophy. Due to the inhabitants though, they are closer to Europe. So in that regard, the Norse did discover North America for Europe. And the idea of Vinland never disappeared from what I understand, even though the Norse left it.

The Norse discovered Greenland and Newfoundland for Europe. They hardly discovered North America at all. LOL

The same about Colombo;)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>