Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where did the word "Latin America" came from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where did the word "Latin America" came from?
    Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 19:46

Latin is just a language thing, you can't realisticly claim its a single race, unless you go around randomly ejecting Latins from it, which kind of makes it non-Latin

But there is one unifying factor between France, Italy and Spain. All three has a  varying degree of roman ancestry. THe celts in southern France did marry the romans, although northern France was less romanized. However, the massive germanic immigration into France change that balance. Even now you can see that southern French ressembles a lot to italians and Spanish. Also the Gallo-normands settled in southern Italy. It would be right to say the northern Italian and French are closest racially in europe. But I would put us French crudely between Germans and Italians racially but this depend of regions of France which are hardly homogenous.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 06:27

I wouldn't say no european country is racially homogeneous. To me the term "Latino" trying to group every people speaking a Roman language has no value but linguistic. You would have to group Romania, France, Italy, 1/2 Belgium, Spain, Portugal and Italy in Europe and former French, Portuguese Africa and America.

What do they have in common?

Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 15:31

Oh, this is simple!

It was called Latin America because Spain's main goal, besides gold, was converts and slaves! What's the base language of Christianity? Latin. They converted the South American Indians to Christianity, took their gold, and taught them to read holy scriptures, if they didn't translate them.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
mauk4678 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mauk4678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 16:42

That might be true, if it wasnt false.  If there is a "base language" of Christianity, it's  Greek or Hebrew. Latin is what one branch of what is collectively known as Christianity uses. What about Greek, Russian,Bulgarian,Armenian,Romanian, Ukranian etc... Orthodox, All or most Protestant Denominations, Pseudo-christian demononatins,( Mormonist, Jehova's witnesses, Christian Science). And they didnt exactly teach them to  " Read the holy Scriptures". If they had, then they probably wouldnt be worshiping giant granite crosses and native gods.

And what about the Phillipines? Dem. Republic of the Congo? Maronites in Lebanon? Should they not, by your definition be known as  Latin Asia, Latin Africa and Latin Middle-East respectively? How about  Maine and Boston? Shouldn't they be called Latin New England?

This can all be answered in one post, and it already has been answered here many times over. South and central America are known as "Latin America" because the majority Language throuout most of it( Guyana, Suriname, French Guayana, Belize and mosquito coast excluded) are ROMANce languages. Both Portuguese and Spanish have retained enough of Latin to be known as Latin derived. Maybe it dosnt explain anomolies such as Quebec and Equatorial Guinea, and maybe you, for some other reason refuse to believe it, but thats the one and only reason why Its known as "Latin America"

phoenix_bladen View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote phoenix_bladen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2004 at 13:02

Originally posted by Cywr

I'v always wondered, could we not rightfully call Quebec "latin america"?

I think its because in contemporary US culture, 'Latin' isn't merely a linguistic technicality, but an 'ethnic minority' thing, and the Quebecois are seen as 'white', and, even worse, Canadian .

what do you mean ......even worst canadian ?  i am english-canadian and i find your comments very offending...

so stfu

white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2004 at 19:17

Quote \Pseudo-christian demononatins,( Mormonist /end quote

"
Pseudo-christian"
im sorry but mormans are indeed christian
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2004 at 06:07

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

French language is latin, but french racially is hardly latin.

AFAIK, you are supposed to mainly come from three roots: Celtic (Ghauls), Latin (Romans) and Teutonic (Franks).

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2004 at 06:47
Originally posted by phoenix_bladen

Originally posted by Cywr

I'v always wondered, could we not rightfully call Quebec "latin america"?

I think its because in contemporary US culture, 'Latin' isn't merely a linguistic technicality, but an 'ethnic minority' thing, and the Quebecois are seen as 'white', and, even worse, Canadian .

what do you mean ......even worst canadian ?  i am english-canadian and i find your comments very offending...

so stfu

And one of the less humorous Candians on the forums to boot.

If it needs to be spelt out in plain English:
Americans (the USA variety) are not about to start percieving French-Canadians as 'Latin', when the US's Latin gaze is firmly fixed facing south, add to that the fact that Canadian's' be they French or otherwise are pretty much just Canadian in the mainstream US cultural imagination, and that French, despite its semi-Latin roots, isn't part of the generic South/Central America package and hence 'Latin America' package, and there's your answer.

The 'even worse' gag was a play on the old stereotype of American's not taking Canada very seriously. Whether its completly true or not i don't know.

Arrrgh!!"
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2004 at 13:55
yep i think thats it
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 10:07
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Cwyr:

well, some people may disagree with me on this regards but, the Hispanic Peninsula was not only Spain, but Portugal as well.

Regards

Ooh, you've touched a nerve here. In a sense, Hispania once did designate the entire peninsula, until the Castillian monarchy decided to designate their kingdom "Spain". The Portuguese in fact considered themselves spaniards until the Restoration of 1640 (see, the word "Spain" functioned like the word "Scandinavia"; now imagine Sweden taking over Norway, and calling itself "Scandinavia", with little regard to Denmark"). Nowadays, it is incorrect to consider Portuguese as having anything to do with "Hispanic".

A more correct term to use would be Ibero-America. It excludes those countries that do not speak Spanish or Portuguese. 

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12