Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pre-Columbian Contact Claims Encyclopedia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-Columbian Contact Claims Encyclopedia
    Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 18:28
So weren't others mentioned here (Vespucci).

I think that under pre-Columbian, we should rather take it before someone reached the main American land.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 06:45
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Hooops, guys Hassan Al-Jruss al-Finiki is a total invention. I made it up to mock a guy asking for evidence of Muslim contact with the Americas.

Hello,

I knew your post was a mockery. I was just asking for credible sources because I was skeptical about what I read so the mockery was uncalled for.

Originally posted by pinguin

Almost every pseudo-schollar nationalist that pretend to put its own people in superior possition has to claim a contact with the Americas LOL. So, we have Chinese, Japanese, East Indians, Phoenicians, Arabs, Jews, West Africans, Irish and just about everybody else, comming to the Americas. Although archeology don't follow those wild claims.

For me, all those claims are just trying to robb the heritage of Amerindians. It is a form of racism, indeed, because still today some people don't believe Indians are intelligent.

I fail to see how a possible contact with an outside society reflects the Amerindians as being unintelligent. Even if contact between the old and the new world existed in some form, the Amerindians still forms a very unique and interesting culture.

Plus, most of the contact claims take place 1000ad and after. Besides for the Azetcs and the Incas, most of the Amerindians civilizations already came and went.

And why are the claims so wild?

Its just hard to believe that for 20,000 years, not a single person besides Columbus, Leif Ericson, and some Polynesians wondered what laid beyond the ocean and attempted to find out. Not saying that continuous contact existed or even any direct contact at all.

If you can believe that Amerindians made the voyage (well, died on the way) to the old world, why is it a "wild claim" to believe that those from the old world made it to the new? Even if they died in the process.

Just how I view it.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 13:49
Originally posted by The Late J.C.

Hooops, guys Hassan Al-Jruss al-Finiki is a total invention. I made it up to mock a guy asking for evidence of Muslim contact with the Americas.

Hello,

I knew your post was a mockery. I was just asking for credible sources because I was skeptical about what I read so the mockery was uncalled for.

Almost every pseudo-schollar nationalist that pretend to put its own people in superior possition has to claim a contact with the Americas LOL. So, we have Chinese, Japanese, East Indians, Phoenicians, Arabs, Jews, West Africans, Irish and just about everybody else, comming to the Americas. Although archeology don't follow those wild claims.

For me, all those claims are just trying to robb the heritage of Amerindians. It is a form of racism, indeed, because still today some people don't believe Indians are intelligent.

I fail to see how a possible contact with an outside society reflects the Amerindians as being unintelligent. Even if contact between the old and the new world existed in some form, the Amerindians still forms a very unique and interesting culture.

Plus, most of the contact claims take place 1000ad and after. Besides for the Azetcs and the Incas, most of the Amerindians civilizations already came and went.

And why are the claims so wild?

Its just hard to believe that for 20,000 years, not a single person besides Columbus, Leif Ericson, and some Polynesians wondered what laid beyond the ocean and attempted to find out. Not saying that continuous contact existed or even any direct contact at all.

If you can believe that Amerindians made the voyage (well, died on the way) to the old world, why is it a "wild claim" to believe that those from the old world made it to the new? Even if they died in the process.

Just how I view it.

Some of the claims are wild, the odd one is true. Some tell us more about the people who made them, some are of historical interest, some are thought exercises, some are by academics to raise question in the hope of learning more.

By doing a post like this you are entering highly politically charged world, there are many radical Indian groups and forums out there. They organise demos and we got the odd visitor to this forum.......... They really don't want posts like this. The reason.

A few low IQ ranting nationalists are really scared of looking at these examples. They have built up a cosy little fantasy world of their own. They're people in life who have amounted to absolutely nothing,  So they have chosed a path of dogma and no capacity for thought, no desire to explore new ideas and sabotage anyone who tries, because the fear the results. Instead they have constructed a racist utopia where by pretending to be a [native american] they are at the centre of a little delusional paradise. Any use of thought on the subject challenges this fantasy world.  The two main weapons they use are mockery and repeat the same old tired dogma again and again and AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.....................

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 19:20
Originally posted by Paul

[
By doing a post like this you are entering highly politically charged world, there are many radical Indian groups and forums out there. They organise demos and we got the odd visitor to this forum.......... They really don't want posts like this. The reason.

A few low IQ ranting nationalists are really scared of looking at these examples. They have built up a cosy little fantasy world of their own. They're people in life who have amounted to absolutely nothing,  So they have chosed a path of dogma and no capacity for thought, no desire to explore new ideas and sabotage anyone who tries, because the fear the results. Instead they have constructed a racist utopia where by pretending to be a [native american] they are at the centre of a little delusional paradise. Any use of thought on the subject challenges this fantasy world.  The two main weapons they use are mockery and repeat the same old tired dogma again and again and AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.....................

Don't be offensive, Paul, and don't be an hypocrite, please. I know very well you are hurt because I attacked Brits once.

Now, for the utopias about pre-Colombian contact to the Americas being racist.... they are.

The idea is that indians are idiots, and Europeans and everyone else is bright and carriers of civilization: something like Prometeus.

I though John Wayne's movies were out of fashion by now.

Pre-colombian contacts to the Americas existed. First, natives enter the New World, second Inuits entered a couple of thousand years ago, and then Norse contacted it 1000 years ago. Polynesians may have contacted it as well, I am waiting for evidence.

With respect to IQ I bet mine is higher than yours LOL

In any case, Nazism was an European invention, noit American. Wink

Edited by pinguin - 16-Apr-2008 at 19:22
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 19:56
Pingiun your narcissism is astonishing.

I make reference a group of Ometeotl cultists and Mexica Movement types who are sabotaging a Kennewick Man thread on an archaeology forum by truning it into a flame war and you immediately think it must be about you.

So what do you do.......... You lie.

I never mentioned I thought Indians stupid and Eurpeans intelligent. This is just you lying.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 20:26
I make reference a group of Ometeotl cultists and Mexica Movement types who are sabotaging a Kennewick Man thread on an archaeology forum by truning it into a flame war and you immediately think it must be about you.

URL?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2008 at 05:08

Pingiun your narcissism is astonishing.

So what do you do.......... You lie.

I never mentioned I thought Indians stupid and Eurpeans intelligent. This is just you lying.

Any Latin American with a little bit of pride would torpedo the religious movement of Kennewick Man. For Latin Americans, the past of theirs countries is sort of sacred, and the old Americans are considered, if not actual, at least "spiritual" ancestors.

So, the idea of palefaces comming before the Ancestors is somehow socking LOL

In my case, I don't care much if the first Americans were "Chinese" (Siberian-mongolians) or "Australoids" (Ainu) people. What people don't know is that anthropologist aren't talking about blond blue eyed Europeans, nor about Australian aborigins or Dravidian Indians, when mention those Kennewick and other Australoids, but rather they are pointing to the Ainu people, that have lived since long ago in East Asia and it is very likely they also entered the Americas with the rest.

Edited by pinguin - 17-Apr-2008 at 05:08
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 04:44

A handful of other theories claim that the Americans were the first to discover the rest of the world.

wow. and that at least seems plausible. have you read the work of william james sidis, who wrote of the native american occupation of europe and atlantis; presumably, atlantis was a city on the azores islands, before some sort of global-melting or earthquake induced a local deluge. this is all so fascinating! who knows?

Edited by Aeolus - 30-Sep-2008 at 04:47
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 04:51
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

de ontdekking van Amerika voor Columbus

do i need to prime my dutch, or is there an english translation? ; ^ )
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 05:02

A few low IQ ranting nationalists are really scared of looking at these examples.

i completely agree with you.

thus, how might we structure a valid timeline of interaction between peoples? has such a task been undertaken? the following is beautiful, but not quite the chart for which I lust: https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/atlas.html

i seek an accurate encyclopedia: one that is celebratory of all contributions and chronologically exact. 8 ^ D
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2008 at 22:25
Originally posted by Aeolus

thus, how might we structure a valid timeline of interaction between peoples? ...

Shocked

You still don't know?

(1) the ancestors of the Amerindians came from West Asia.
(2) 2000 years ago they came the ancestors of Inuits.
(3) 1000 years ago norse came sporadically to east Canada
(4) 500 years ago came Columbus and then everyone else.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 00:35

Originally posted by Aeolus

thus, how might we structure a valid timeline of interaction between peoples? has such a task been undertaken?

It is increasingly likely that some of the Amerindian ancestors came from what 15,000 years later would be called "Europe".   This data is rejected by people holding a sort of "reverse stormfront" belief and who advocate a "pure" (whatever that means) asian ancestory.

Of course, 15,000 years ago, terms like "Asia", "Europe", "Asiatic" ethnicity and "White" ethnicity were meaningless. Even still, the findings arerejected.

Edited by Cryptic - 02-Oct-2008 at 00:38
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 13:56
None of the theories in favour of pre-columbian contact seem very convincing, of course there was pre-columbian with Leif Eriksson's expedition in the late 900s but that one landed far from the South American civilisations.

I recommend anyone with an interest in this topic to read poirot's article about Zheng He in the AE Magazine, it's IMO the best article in there.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 15:51
Originally posted by Cryptic

It is increasingly likely that some of the Amerindian ancestors came from what 15,000 years later would be called "Europe".   This data is rejected by people holding a sort of "reverse stormfront" belief and who advocate a "pure" (whatever that means) asian ancestory.

Europeans in the Americas thousand of years ago? Confused
It is not racism what make some of us to reject that notion. It is simply the feeling of non-sense.

Amerindians are not a "pure" stock, but a mixture of East and Central Asian peoples. By the way, Europeans also have lot of Central Asian in them, so the genetic distance between both groups is shorter than with respect to third parties.

Of course, 15,000 years ago, terms like "Asia", "Europe", "Asiatic" ethnicity and "White" ethnicity were meaningless. Even still, the findings arerejected.

What findings?
People who study the Americas has to fight against dozens of stupid hipothesis that appear in the popular press day after day. It is not a coincidence, then, that americanists tend to be skeptical of "new" hypothesis Confused

Edited by pinguin - 02-Oct-2008 at 15:53
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 01:05

Europeans in the Americas thousand of years ago? Confused
Do not think of them as "Europeans".  One thing for sure, the people in question never self identified as "Europeans". That concept would be invented 15,000 years later.

It is not racism what make some of us to reject that notion. It is simply the feeling of non-sense.
What is so nonsensical.  It is logical that hunter gatherers made the Siberia - Americas migration. Why is  "land mass later known as Europe" Iceland, Greenland, Americas connection so impossible? This is not Thor Heradyl.

So, the idea of palefaces coming before the Ancestors is somehow socking LOL
Why do you insist on applying modern ethnic terms to prehistory? It makes no sense. Kennewick man was caucasion. Somalians, Ethiopians, Arabs, Berbers and yes, Irish are all caucasians.  In all probability, the people of the solutrian (sp) migration had near the same skin complection as the Asiatic migrations.

People who study the Americas has to fight against dozens of stupid hipothesis that appear in the popular press day after day. It is not a coincidence, then, that americanists tend to be skeptical of "new" hypothesis Confused

No you are making sense. In the past, there have been rascist claims of lost white tribes, ancient Israelites etc civilizing the natives in historical times.  The solutrians and Kennewick man are pre historical.   There is absolutely no claim to cultural supereority. 

In my case, I don't care much if the first Americans were "Chinese" (Siberian-mongolians) or "Australoids" (Ainu) people.  
The Ainu are an isolate caucasoid group. They are not australoids.  That aside, have there ever been Australoid groups in the Americas? (honest question, not sarcastic)

Edited by Cryptic - 03-Oct-2008 at 01:26
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 02:28

Do not think of them as "Europeans".  One thing for sure, the people in question never self identified as "Europeans". That concept would be invented 15,000 years later.
---
What is so nonsensical.  It is logical that hunter gatherers made the Siberia - Americas migration. Why is  "land mass later known as Europe" Iceland, Greenland, Americas connection so impossible? This is not Thor Heradyl.

Let me make this clear. If any Europeans or European ancestors crossed to the Americas in ancient times, then they crossed through the Bering Strait! That's not so strange how may sound. Europeans lived in Ancient West Asia, up to relative recent times (2000 years ago).
What I personally don't believe is that they crossed from Europe to America through the Artic, because the currents and winds points in the opossite direction, from the Americas to Asia.

Why do you insist on applying modern ethnic terms to prehistory? It makes no sense. Kennewick man was caucasion. Somalians, Ethiopians, Arabs, Berbers and yes, Irish are all caucasians.  In all probability, the people of the solutrian (sp) migration had near the same skin complection as the Asiatic migrations.

Knowing as I do the Amerindian people, I can tell you that many look Caucasians, even without mixtures. Not all them do, but some can "pass". So, if your interest is only "genetical" I don't know why don't agree with you. I can even show you picture of ancient Chilean natives that do look caucasians. Even more, as Spanish descendent, I know my ancestors usually married those native women that looked more european-like. And they didn't have much throuble in founding some that met that requirement.

The Ainu are an isolate caucasoid group. They are not australoids.  That aside, have there ever been Australoid groups in the Americas? (honest question, not sarcastic)

That's an interesting point. Ainus have been classified as Australoid or Caucasoid, depending in the authority. The simple fact is that some ancient australoid remains are undistinguishible from caucasoids. Confused

What is well know, though, is that Australoids shared the East Asia space with Mongoloids at the time of the Bering crossing. Central Asians also where there around that time and, perhaps, some Caucasoids as well. That's a puzzle that is still been put together.

Edited by pinguin - 03-Oct-2008 at 02:31
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 15:51

What I personally don't believe is that they crossed from Europe to America through the Artic, because the currents and winds points in the opossite direction, from the Americas to Asia.

Humans have demonstrated their capability for the trip. In extremely early times, small bands of hunter gatherers migrated from Africa through Indonesia and into Australia and Tasmania.  At some point, these same people also populated the Adamman Islands.
With the accomplishment of the earleir migrations in mind, it is highly likely that the Solutrians made a later "Europe" to America migration. The people of the later migrations of Asiatics and Solutrians to the Americas had time to develop more complex social systems than the initial "Out of Africa" migrations. This would aid in overcoming additional challenges.

What is well know, though, is that Australoids shared the East Asia space with Mongoloids at the time of the Bering crossing.
I think some California bands were described by the Spanish as having Australoid characteristics.  Unfortunatly, the possible Australoid bands were already small at the time of Spanish contact and rapidly went extinct.

Knowing as I do the Amerindian people, I can tell you that many look Caucasians, even without mixtures. Not all them do, but some can "pass". So, if your interest is only "genetical" I don't know why don't agree with you. 
I assure you that my interest is only genetic and has nothing to do with false rascist claims that Amerindian cultural achievements are / were of European origin etc. 

Edited by Cryptic - 03-Oct-2008 at 16:13
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2008 at 03:23

Humans have demonstrated their capability for the trip. In extremely early times, small bands of hunter gatherers migrated from Africa through Indonesia and into Australia and Tasmania. 

Yeap. But the longer the sea crossing the more unlikely the event is.
Crossing from Europe to the Americas following the Artic is a "worst case" escenario.
It doesn't make much sense at all, particularly with the technology people had at those times.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2008 at 03:49

Yeap. But the longer the sea crossing the more unlikely the event is.
Crossing from Europe to the Americas following the Artic is a "worst case" escenario.
It doesn't make much sense at all, particularly with the technology people had at those times.
The crossing was far easier in the pre historic times.  The same ice bridge that helped the Asiatic migration also reduced the amount of open ocean on the Europe to America side. Any number of things could have supplied the reason for the migration. For example migratory patterns of marine life, human population pressures, or....maybe "just because". 
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2008 at 04:04
1311 A 400 ships strong Malian fleet explored S. America. Only one came back. The next year, the sultan Abubakari II, sailed with 2000 ships to the West. Traces of this population would have been discovered by Columbus.

The first journey was in 1310 with 200 ships, and the second (which included Abu Bakr II and 1000 ships) in 1311. It is quite possible that the descendants of these ships were found by Columbus.

I think it is fairly certain that there was sporadic and disorganised pre-columbian contact in both directions. Which created the rumours which lead both Columbus and Abu Bakr II to try to establish permanent contact.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>