Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Bloodiest Sackings Of Cities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Bloodiest Sackings Of Cities
    Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 09:45

There were numerous cities that were completely destroyed, and or, wiped off of the face of the earth by subsequent conquerors. In this thread we will discuss them, and hopefully come to an agreement on which one was the most destructive sacking of all.

One sacking that should be mentioned is the one in which Artexerxes III, 11th Emperor of the Acheamenid Empire from 358 BC, and Pharaoh of the 31 dynasty of Egypt, until his death in 338 BC, inflicted upon the city of Sidon. Marching in person, at the head of an army of 330,000 men, comprised of 300,000 foot soldiers, 30,000 calvalry, and with an accompany of 300 triremes and 500 transport/provision ships. The approach of Artexerxes is said to have shook the citizens of not only Sidon, but of the entire region. The city was utterly destroyed, burnt completely to the ground with more than 40,000 of its inhabitants slaughtered. Artexerxes even sold the remains of the cities ruins at high prices. He then marched into Egypt and soundly defeated Nectanebo II, Egypt's last true Pharaoh, and had himself crowned Pharaoh, bringing the Egyptians back into the Persian fold.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 09:54

Soviets in East Prussia. Koingsberg, Breslau etc.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 11:00
Nanjing by the Japanese, Merv (by the mongols which was even worse than that of Baghdad).

Al-Jassas
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 12:06
Carthage by Romans
Warsaw by Nazis
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 12:41
Jerusalem by the crusaders in the first crusade...
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 13:11

The destruction of Magdeburg during the 30YW was quite 'bloody', although the city was eventually rebuilt.  Was the criteria for 'bloodiness' meant to be relative or absolute?  By that I mean, 100% of the population of a smaller city of 100,000 might be killed - how does one compare that to the slaying of  50% of the population of city of 1,000,000 (i.e. 500,000 dead)?  Based on the 'wiped off the face of the earth' criterion, I would rank the destruction of Carthage by Rome quite highly. 

Edited by deadkenny - 12-Apr-2008 at 13:12
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 13:26
Hiroshima another example. Nagasaki was less damaged to to an aimimg malfunction.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 13:59
Herat, Tus, Ray, Neyshapur, Qazvin, Kashan, Ardabil, Maragheh --> Mongols.  Millions were killed.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 14:10
Dresden, if by the air counts.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 14:19
The impact of the crusaders sacking Jerusalem and other cities is often overestimated because of the symbolical value and contemporary resonance of these acts, but compared with the Mongols the damage done by the crusaders was negligible. The crusaders did not and could not devestate the Middle East as they did.

The Mongol sack of Kiev also quite brutal, with large scale massacres and rape. There could of course be no exceptions for cities that resisted and lost, that would only induce other cities to resist.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 14:20
Kiev in 1240 by Mongols.
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 15:23
baghdad mongols, this guys created the trend of kill all who oppose. then it was copied by a lot, Artaxerxes might have been the trend setter, they say he was a relative of Alex.

Edited by Julius Augustus - 12-Apr-2008 at 15:24
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 15:37
Samarkand and the Mongols? Didn't they create a mountain of skulls after winning?
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 15:49
Originally posted by Reginmund

The impact of the crusaders sacking Jerusalem and other cities is often overestimated because of the symbolical value and contemporary resonance of these acts, but compared with the Mongols the damage done by the crusaders was negligible. The crusaders did not and could not devestate the Middle East as they did.

The Mongol sack of Kiev also quite brutal, with large scale massacres and rape. There could of course be no exceptions for cities that resisted and lost, that would only induce other cities to resist.

You will always find a massacre greater then another Confused

Edited by Illirac - 12-Apr-2008 at 15:49
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 15:55
Originally posted by Parnell

Samarkand and the Mongols? Didn't they create a mountain of skulls after winning?

I think you're getting mixed up maybe, or I am.  But AFAIK that was Isfahan and Timurlane was the culprit.
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 16:05
Originally posted by Reginmund

From what I have read, Jerusalem was a ghost city after the sack and the crusaders had severe problems...
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 16:18
Originally posted by Zagros

Originally posted by Parnell

I think you're getting mixed up maybe, or I am.  But AFAIK that was Isfahan and Timurlane was the culprit.

My apologies, I think your right now I think about it.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2008 at 17:31

My verdict probably would be -

>Assyrian Sack of Samara around 600 BC
>Gallic Sack of Rome 390/389 BC
>Charles V's sack of Rome 1527
>Sack of UR III culture at the end of the Neo-Sumerian resurgence c.2200 BC
>Destruction of Strata VII of Troy c.1200 BC (no I am NOT referencing to the Illiad or any related myth - archeological evidence shows an extremely bloody battle where the entire settlement and surrounding countryside was burnt)
>1789 French Revolution
>Rebellions of the Jaquerie in the Hundered years' war in villages, towns and cities all around Normandy
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2008 at 18:07
Hello to you all

I actually agree with Regi that the Crusades, though bloody they were, were not the bloodiest episode in muslim history nor in the history of the levant. The Byzantine raides a century earlier were much more bloodier. Misis was a 200 k metropolis now just a mere village. The Syrian coast lost some 100 K killed and the same number enslaved. The crusades did sack a number of cities but muslims remained a majority in the countryside and in several important cities which were not sacked like Tyre, Acre, Beirut etc. The reason why crusades had so much imact is its great length and subsequent conflicts with the same countries that were involved with the crusades.

The worst sack in history, before the 20th century goes to the mongol invasions of the muslim lands and the 30 years war. Iraq was known to have some 10 million people living there, fom tax records, after the mongol invasion only 3-5 million were left. In the 30 years war Germany was so depopulated that the pope allowed polygamy if I am not mistaken.

Al-Jassas
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2008 at 17:07
Well, not in named manpower lost but in other terms (percentage of people for example) the city of Kuressaare had 3 people and 1 house left after the Great Northern War - it began the era with ten thousand people or more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>