Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Could the nazis have invaded England?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could the nazis have invaded England?
    Posted: 07-Apr-2008 at 22:06
Originally posted by Zagros

Or maybe your own post should be reread - by you! Apology accepted.

Entente and Allies are not the same... Tongue
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2008 at 22:11

Just admit you made a mistake =P - you referred specifically to the allies of WW2 and the British were a constituent of this alliance (to which I referred) and therefore transferred their expertise and experience from WW1 to the WW2 alliance as a whole.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 01:44
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by Temujin

and how much experience did the allies had prior to D-Day?

Pachino, Siciliy, Taranto, Salerno, Dieppe, Operation Torch........ Enough?

How about Guadalcanal, Betio, Makin, Tarawa, New Guinea (numerous landings), Kwajelein, Eniwietok.  All before June, 1944.

Pacific warfare lessons were also learned with Allied blood.  Knowledge is transmitted among commanders and troops who speak the same language.  The theory behind modern amphibious warfare had been developing since Gen. J. A. Lejeune had been Commandant of the Marine Corps in the 1920s.  The reality developed with war time industrial production and with experience.

I don't understand this concept that continental land powers like Germany and Russia had some kind of handle on amphibious warfare.  The 20th century manual on amphibious warfare was written by the United States navy and its 500,000 marines.  Those lessons were put to work, with local knowledge and local physical realities, at Normandy in June, 1944.  No experienced marines, but that made it all the more amazingly successful.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 08-Apr-2008 at 02:02
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 01:56

if i'd get an Euro everytime soemone says "xy had no experience in amphibious operations".... the German Army in 1918 conducted two sucessfull ambhibious operations against Finland and Georgia. and how much experience did the allies had prior to D-Day? ...

Gallipoli, apart from the massive training exercises which took place for a year before D-day.

Gallipoli wasn't very relevent with regard to D-Day.  For one thing there was only one improvised 'landing craft' (the River Clyde) and the rest being towed to shore in lines of row boats tied together.  On the other hand Jubilee, Torch, Husky, Avalanche, Slapstick are highly relevent. 
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 02:04

One of the reasons for the delay was the higher than predicted damage done by the Luftwaffe by the French. Add this to the unexpected damage done over Dunkirk, the Luftwaffe had to recuperate, this was part of the reason for the delay. If Guderian had gone for Dunkirk the Huricanes would have inflicted an awful lot more damage on the Luftwaffe. Could an early channel crossing even been thinkable after that. 

Sorry, I don't see why the Luftwaffe would have suffered more heavily at the hands of the RAF fighters if Guderian had been given the go ahead to take Dunkirk.  In any case, even the 'early' invasion attempt I am hypothesizing about would have been in July, 2 months after the capture of Dunkirk I am suggesting.  Furthermore, the Luftwaffe would have been better off fighting the RAF over Dunkirk than over SE England.  Even if the Luftwaffe had taken somewhat heavier losses, the RAF would have as well and under circumstances more likely to result in the loss of pilots (i.e. over France).
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 02:21

Yes and my inclination is that even with the annihilation of the BEF a Nazi invasion could have been fought off.  A Nazi Invasion would not be a surprise attack like Omaha etc were - its landing location would be predictable.  And I don't know whether you have seen the Kentish coastline or not, but it's not the most hospitable to amphibious assault.   The RAF could provide enough air support  to keep the Luftwaffe busy and the Royal navy would pummel the Germans in the channel.

German paratroop planes would get intercepted by the RAF and/or the troopers would land - occupy some town or village, get surrounded and destroyed while their supporting amphibious forces would barely make it to any beach.

Of course it is all speculative.  However Kenneth Macksey wrote an interesting 'alt. history' book, "INVASION:  The German invasion of England July 1940" in which he decided upon a German victory.  Where I disagree with him is that he has the RN ultimately deciding to preserve it main force in order to continue the struggle, whereas I believe they would have accepted much heavier losses in order to intervene in the Channel.  However, the main problem for the British was that the bulk of their forces were left with limited mobility after having lost so much of their motorized transports.  The British would have been hard pressed to react quickly with unengaged forces to German landings, and likely unable to contain any German breakout.   I doubt that the Germans would have been landing in Kent regardless, although historically the British were still concerned enough to defend it.

IMHO you are viewing this as rather too 'easy' for the British.  If you consider the dire straits RAF Fighter Command was in at the darkest moments in the historical Battle of Britain, it is not likely that it would have been so easy to intercept German forces and provide 'cover' for the RN operating in the Channel.  Nor am I suggesting that it would have been 'easy' for the Germans.  The loss of the 225,000 'veterans' at Dunkirk would certainly have made things much tougher for the British.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 14:51
Basically, Germany had only one chance of invading Britain and that required that the RAF be totally defeated  and that the BEF had been destroyed.

The RAF were in some difficulties in the South of England BUT those stationed north of the Thames were fine (see what happened to the abortive raid on the North). The German fighters were at the extremem edge of their endurance.

The BEF was poor in heavy equipment but not in skilled and trained soldiers who had held off direct assaults by the Germans. By September/October the armaments were improving and the UK had started to send a quantity of their armour to the Middle East.

Given those 2 problems with the time-scale involved, the Germans had no realistic chance of a successful invasion.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 20:03
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

and how much experience did the allies had prior to D-Day?

Pachino, Siciliy, Taranto, Salerno, Dieppe, Operation Torch........ Enough?

How about Guadalcanal, Betio, Makin, Tarawa, New Guinea (numerous landings), Kwajelein, Eniwietok.  All before June, 1944.

yeah Ok, but no one cared to explain why you need experience in the first place and why the Japanese and Germans (in case of Blitzkrieg) lacked it and yet were still very sucessfull at it while they haven't done something similar before (= no exp)?
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 22:38
Well having experience is better than not having it.  At Guadalcanal, the necessity for purpose built landing craft in very large numbers became obvious.  The design features of those benefitted from the experience in the Solomons.

At Tarawa, the reefs in the atoll were not well known at all.  Landing craft and amphibious vehicles became hung up 4 or 500 yards out from the beach, and the marines had to wade in there under fire.  Who the hell had ever been to Tarawa, anyway?  The necessity for advance knowledge of the landing ground became imperative.  Missions by UDT (modern SEALs) and raids like Dieppe before Normany were instituted to get as much information as possible about what to expect, and what needed to be prepared for...equipment; specialized personnel, etc.

Any military force is better if it is experienced, and can improve on needed materiel and technique.  The Germans were better in France because of Poland.  The Russians were better after Moscow (for a number of reasons). 

I think the Japanese showed initiative in Malaya, and that was impressive, but their experience there should have taught them more than they showed in New Guinea where the terrain was somewhat similar, and the distances from landing to objective shorter.  Once the Australians stopped them, amphibious lessons learned in the Solomons were put to use, they were outflanked time and again, chased further away from their supply lines coming from Rabaul, and they never recovered.

Was Malaya just Yamashita's genius, or didn't they absorb experience?  I don't know that.  The US got better at what they did; the Japanese mounted banzai attacks and kamikaze missions. 

So, Anzio was a mess, but the Allies learned from it.  Dieppe was tragic, but things were learned from that as well.  The use, design features and construction of adequate assault ships, landing craft and how to assess the obstacles and neutralize them all were encountered in spades in the Pacific.  Without a lot of that, Overlord may have had to go in at Calais where the Germans thought it would.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 08-Apr-2008 at 23:25
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 09:38
Without getting too much involved in logistics and semantics; I don't think it's possible.

Even if Hitler and Stalin honored the pact, there would probably be enough reason for both sides to continue having a large military buildup on their respective borders. Those are key troops and the German military was already stretched across France and the Balkans.

If you were Nazi Germany, you'd need a substantial military force to break open Britain. They've been preparing for countless months for an invasion. Not to mention, trying to get past or destroy the British Home Fleet would have been impossible. They're still the foremost naval power at this point. Basically, in the end it would require immense manpower and logistics, and that only applies if you can get around the naval problem.

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 14:05
Originally posted by The Cosmic Fool

Without getting too much involved in logistics and semantics; I don't think it's possible.

Even if Hitler and Stalin honored the pact, there would probably be enough reason for both sides to continue having a large military buildup on their respective borders. Those are key troops and the German military was already stretched across France and the Balkans.

If you were Nazi Germany, you'd need a substantial military force to break open Britain. They've been preparing for countless months for an invasion. Not to mention, trying to get past or destroy the British Home Fleet would have been impossible. They're still the foremost naval power at this point. Basically, in the end it would require immense manpower and logistics, and that only applies if you can get around the naval problem.

I agree if you are considering the invasion in the longer term - i.e. a much better prepared German invasion against much better prepared British defenses.  However,  I still maintain that there was a window of 'vulnerability', which the Germans mostly let 'close' when they stopped Guderian's planned attack on Dunkirk before the BEF was there in force.  If you combine a possible 'capture' of the bulk of the BEF with earlier German preparations and invasion by July 1940, the equation is much different because the British defenses are much weaker (although admittedly so are the attacking German forces). 

Regarding the RN, keep in mind that it would have suffered heavy losses from air attacks in the Channel if it had tried to maintain 'standing' patrols.  In order to sortie 'into' the Channel, it would have had to get past mines and u-boat 'screens'.  Also note that it would have been easier for the Germans to replace their losses of infantry and converted river barges than it would have been for the British to replace their RN ship losses.  I'm not saying that the RN couldn't or wouldn't do it, just that it would have been a definite 'trade off' in effectiveness 'defending' the Channel vs. ship losses.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 21:37
You're right. There were windows. But even then the Nazis would have had to compound on their own successes in order to win. Being able to use one victory to compound on another is really what wins wars.

So even if the Nazis succeeded in damaging the Home Fleet, there are lots of other logistical nightmares to be solved. And you have to remember in this hypothetical situation, we're assuming both countries had their respective generals. Given Hitler's passion for stonewalling his own generals, the British come out on the end strategically.

Finally, remember that defenders always have the advantage! ;)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2009 at 19:46
Without a doubt Germany could have initially invaded Britain. But at huge cost.

Initially using a land force in a shallow harbor speed would have been the essence of the attack. Paratroopers would have been used in an attempt to secure small towns villages in between the south downs and London.

The attempt would have been a disaster within 2 weeks though. As we all know now Britain had been developing a very sophisticated defence strategy in which any attack  would have made Leningrad look like a trip to the park for the Germans.

The 100,000 troops landing would have lost 30% on the beaches, leaving the remaining 70,000 to battle it out with the every increasing numbers of British amour and soldiers blocking any move toward London. The retreat back would have been costly not only for the Germans but also for the civilian population of the south, who would have been using every tactic possible to annihilate and hinder any German advance or retreat

The disaster then lay in the sea, by which the British Navy would have left scapaflow and made easy work of the German navy and troop carriers. It would have been highly plausable to expect very few German prisoners to be taken due to the level of venom against any German at that time. The RAF would not have take pity of troop carrying ships either.

All in all. Britain was no France, Hitler knew it.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2009 at 04:57
Yes they could have, if they did not attack USSR (current Russia) Then they might have won and deafeted Britain and captured it :) The Russians would be on their side
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2010 at 18:37
I have not read every reply to this line of posts, but I will assume that no one ever mentioned this? My apologizes to anyone who already made this point!

After Dunkirk, a battle or a retreat that the Germans allowed to happen, as was mentioned by one respondant to this line of inquiry (sorry if I did not mention you by name), upon Hitler's orders, etc., I agree with this point.

But, what is not mentioned is the fact that the Brit's then developed a "mirage" defense! That is they developed, in quick fashion, the placement of "fake", tanks, artillery, aircraft, etc., to show to the hundreds of Nazi obversation aircraft that most all invasion points into the Island, was / were defended by hundreds or thousands of guns, tanks, and aircraft!

In other words, Hitler and his henchmen were bluffed from attempting a water borne invasion by false information!

If their information had been better, it is but (IMHO) a fifty-fifty chance that the invasion might well have been achieved!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
warwolf1969 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote warwolf1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2010 at 05:52
The chances of any invasion succeding was very low, due to the total lack of actual landing craft in the German army.  Their plan involved using river and canal barges to transport the invasion forces across the channel.  Now anyone who has ever sailed in the channel will tell you that the Germans would have lost about half their force before they ever reached lands.  Add to that the British Navy, which would have sailed down to the channel and happily sank the invasion force, as well as any supply attempts.  Could Germay have invaded, not a chance.
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2010 at 08:11
The whole basis of a German invasion was based on German air superiority. If the Germans could have achieved air superiority, no doubt they would have successfully invaded and conquered England.
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2010 at 09:52
Originally posted by warwolf1969

The chances of any invasion succeding was very low, due to the total lack of actual landing craft in the German army.  Their plan involved using river and canal barges to transport the invasion forces across the channel.  Now anyone who has ever sailed in the channel will tell you that the Germans would have lost about half their force before they ever reached lands.  Add to that the British Navy, which would have sailed down to the channel and happily sank the invasion force, as well as any supply attempts.  Could Germay have invaded, not a chance.

Don't be so sure on the "not a chance stuff. First, the Channel does have dangerous places, yes.  However Britain had been using 30 ft. torpedo armed craft, bulit for speed.  They were crossing the channel at will.  Also, it's been estimated that about a third of the troops pulled out of Dunkirk were carried out on craft 30 ft and under, approx. 100,000.  There were founderings, certainly.  But nowhere near any number that might be defined as a disaster. 
Don't think for a minute that any of that was lost on the poor buggers given the job of planning "Operation Sealion".  Don't forget, River and canal barges were built for durability and the capacity to carry extremely heavy loads and remain stable.  Their planning had the barges being able to do both carry panzers and shock troops as well as be able to unload troops then carry large amounts of supplies back.  The bulk of the invasion force was to be brought over in any thing over 30ft and would float.
The Navy would have been held off long enough by U boats and what surface navy Germany had, for air strikes to be able to reduce the threat.  It would have been a successful invasion, as far as the initial landings anyway.  After the landing is thread all by itself.
The Nazis had to achieve Air Superiority if not Air Supremecy.  They failed.  Without at least that advantage it would have been a Turkey shoot for the Brits.

Another factor to think about, Hitler really didn't like the idea of attacking Britain.  Not because of fear or losing, he actually liked and admired the British people.  If there was any fear factor there, it was fear of Churchill whom he greatly respected and admired.  Possibly because he knew that Churchill knew exactly what he was.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2010 at 10:04
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

The whole basis of a German invasion was based on German air superiority. If the Germans could have achieved air superiority, no doubt they would have successfully invaded and conquered England.

Invaded, yes.  Conquered  ?  Like I said, that's a thread all by it's self.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2010 at 04:27
Mustard gas on the beaches after all.

If one has air superiority, and then thus naval superiority surely the type and quality of landing craft are thus less important as one can cross the channel in 'leisure' as it were.

Undoubtedly there was going to have to be some major naval engagement somewhere in the Channel or North Sea between the Home Fleet and the German Navy, to actually actegorically knock out the Royal Navy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>