Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Making the academy sounder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making the academy sounder
    Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 20:44
Hi all,

When the Academy subforum was initiated a year ago, it was intended to become a sort of reference allowing every forumer to use it in order to learn, enjoy and at times strengthen her argument in a discussion somewhere else in the forum.

It was also intended to be a sort of vitrine for AE, to show the outer world that it was more than a fun site where to discuss endlessly about history with other enthusiasts. It could be a website to trust where reliable information could be found by students and amateurs.

Unfortunately, despite a handful of interesting debates and exchange of ideas, the academy did not live up to these expectations.

Second life

That's why we should try again. Many among us read history books and articles for their studies or by sheer passion. Would it be very costly to once in a while post notes about these readings. AE has hundreds of forumers, and more than one is truly dedicated to history: quite fast we could have dozens of posts.

I can only regret that this has not been started long ago. I'd love to be able to refer myself to notes Maju, Komnenos and Flyingzone would have written. Decebal will soon leave us for a year, had he been able to write these notes he would not really be away, we could always refer to his amazing knowledge.

The point here is to leave AE for the next generation a tiny bit better than the way you found it. You would not accumulate knowledge in vain!

What's next

Every one could post reading notes, summaries, dissertations, essays, etc. The project must be committed to respect a very high standard of quality as well as internationally recognized scholarly rules (reference by pages, etc.).

The problem would of course be that due to the forum format the latest messages will push the older ones in the archives and interesting notes and essays would be forgotten because they are two months old. This issue could be solved by 1) creating a sticky post named "Content" that would classify every note and essay posted and 2) later on maybe opening subforums dedicated to, say, the periods of history.

I've posted an example of what this could look like (here). Please share your comments

Best

M.
I am a free donkey!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 20:54
Damn it I forgot something

Why not the mag?

Let alone the fact that the mag is only published once every two months, I am convinced that it is not the place for this type of things to be published.

First hopefully, there would be too much of it. Second, it does not fit the personal and lengthy approach the mag usually has. The mag is an editorial machine not only destined to relay academic stuff. Third, the mag has a bunch of editors that do their job, this is something for the individual to do, it is more flexible than the mag.
I am a free donkey!
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2008 at 22:50
Interesting ideas.

I would personally like to see the academy expanded and made to be better organized.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2008 at 19:50
@ Kevin:

Any proposal?
I am a free donkey!
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 23:30
Guys,

The Academy is a good idea, but is also at the mercy of the "internet generation."  Sourceless, poorly thought out opinion is the currency of the Web, whether historical, political or medical.

How else could clods like Rush Limbaugh have any effect on politics (and guys like him do)?

Without time for reflection and comment, and minus some kind of peer review, how "academic" can the Academy be?  No one has time for that.

I used to have time to write for the AE Magazine, and also a British journal on early modern military history.  I don't anymore.

I AM the Devil's Advocate.....some think I am the Devil.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 27-Apr-2008 at 23:32
 Post Reply Post Reply