Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Violence in Islam and Christianity: A Comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
fascinated View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fascinated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Violence in Islam and Christianity: A Comparison
    Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 00:28
Continued ...

Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

This passage (Num 31: 17) refers to the aftermath of the war between the Israelite's and the Midianites. Again the issue is the preservation of the nation of Israel, and again there is an instructional message that we derive. Ambrose of Milan sums up both nicely:

How great a thing justice is can be gathered from the fact that there is no place, nor person, nor time, with which it has nothing to do. It must even be preserved in all dealings with enemies. For instance, if the day or the spot for a battle has been agreed upon with them, it would be considered an act against justice to occupy the spot beforehand, or to anticipate the time. For there is some difference whether one is overcome in some battle by a severe engagement, or by superior skill, or by a mere chance. But a deeper vengeance is taken on fiercer foes, and on those that are false as well as on those who have done greater wrongs, as was the case with the Midianites. For they had made many of the Jewish people to sin through their women; for which reason the anger of the Lord was poured out upon the people of our fathers. Thus it came about that Moses when victorious allowed none of them to live. On the other hand, Joshua did not attack the Gibeonites, who had tried the people of our fathers with guile rather than with war, but punished them by laying on them a law of bondage. Elisha again would not allow the king of Israel to slay the Syrians when he wished to do so. He had brought them into the city, when they were besieging him, after he had struck them with instantaneous blindness, so that they could not see where they were going, For he said: "Thou shall not smite those whom thou hast not taken captive with thy spear and with thy sword. Set before them bread and water, that they may eat and drink and return and go to their own home." Incited by their kind treatment they should show forth to the world the kindness they had received. "Thus" (we read) "there came no more the bands of Syria into the land of Israel." [Duties of the Clergy, 1.29.139]

In other words, the preservation of the nation of Israel and the immediate practical ramifications are coupled with the need for justice in war as well as in other dealings under the New Covenant. Once again, Islam has many passages dealing with the preservation of the followers of the prophet. What it is missing is the dispensation that occurs under the New Covenant. Islam is, in effect, still operating according to the Old Covenant -- and that, outside of the context of authentic revelatory tradition.

So, Israelites killed the Midinites by a command from God. This is a fact.

The second event related to Elisha is a “practice” of a leader rather than practicing a principal.

If, that is the case, in the Qur’an so many times Allah is mentioned as the Forgiver in many degrees.  Forgiving, as a practice, is not forbidden I quoted one verse before. Some other ones:

“O ye who believe! Truly, among your wives and your children are (some that are) enemies to yourselves: so beware of them! But if ye forgive and overlook, and cover up (their faults), verily Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (64;14) Qur’An.

“If you punish, then punish with the like of that wherewith you were afflicted. But if you endure patiently, indeed it is better for the patient. Endure you patiently. Your patience is not except through the help of Allah” (al-Nahl 16:126-127)

As a trait of true believers;

“Those who avoid major sins and acts of indecencies and when they are angry they forgive.” (al-Shura 42:37)

“The reward of the evil is the evil thereof, but whosoever forgives and makes amends, his reward is upon Allah.” (al-Shura 42:40)

“If you punish, then punish with the like of that wherewith you were afflicted. But if you endure patiently, indeed it is better for the patient. Endure you patiently. Your patience is not except through the help of Allah” (al-Nahl 16:126-127)

Again, what Ambrose of Milan tries to interpret from a text is written in Qur’An clearly. Simply put “If you retaliate you have the right to do so, If you forgive this is a better trait since Allah forgives as well.”

Again, which text is clearer (in case of a violent action is mentioned)?

The LORD is a man of war.

Ok, so this verse (Ex 15: 3) comes from the Song of Moses, which poetically praises God for delivering the Israelites from Egypt. I feel that the proper interpretation of this particular text is best expressed in the Septuagint. The author is using the traditional English derived from the Masoretic, which was a compilation of various earlier Hebrew manuscripts which didn't exert any substantial influence on Christianity until the fourth century -- when they did so, very gradually and only in the West, through the work of St. Jerome. The Septuagint was the version of the Old Testament used by the early Christian Church. In my translation, derived from the Septuagint, I have it thus:

"The Lord brings wars to nothing; the Lord is his name." [Ex 15: 3]

So I decided to take a stab at this -- even though my Greek leaves something to be desired -- with the aid of a lexicon. The original Greek, from the Septuagint is "kurios suntribōn polemous kurios onoma autō", which is indeed more literally translated in the Septuagint quotation above. The word "suntribōn", in the passage, refers to overcoming or bringing something to nothing. The point of the excerpt, thus, is that war is no obstacle to the Lord, that despite seemingly overwhelming odds the people of the Lord have triumphed. I am confident of the context thus established, but if anyone with a better knowledge of Greek would care to explain further, I'd love to read it. Anyway, there are certainly a plethora of examples in the Koran where Allah is said to fight with, for, and through those who serve him, so I don't think this particular quotation serves the author's stated point.

Now hold here, as long as there is an original text which is in Hebrew why take a translation of it?

The Hebrew word for “Of war” is MILCHAMAH (Milkhamah) strangely the same expression passes in Exodus 32:17 to describe the noise "OF WAR.” So your explanation by using the Septuagint is a fatal error. Your effort to interpret the word Milkhamah as “Brings war to nothing” is a very good example for what we said earlier about the basic principal of interpretation; you can’t bring a “4” out of a “T.”

At this point you should be aware that you gave me a very serious clue about your ethical inclination. You implied that you are very knowledgeable about this issue and made a lot of research. So I should assume that you knew this and deliberately used Septuagint to make your point. However, I will give you another chance to be more careful to get involved in an honest discussion. Manipulation is a killer of sincerity. Now, I want you to rethink which is more important; accepting the truth or win a debate? Apparently you are trying to do a debate instead of discussion and I will try to pull you in a discussion since I hate debates since they go no where. Yet, it is your call. I will not try it forever.

This is a fatal error because even without the Hebrew there is no reason to interpret the verse as “God brings war to nothing”. If we look up to later verses you may have tried to interpret it as “God brings the enemies to nothing” since it describes how the pharaoh was defeated. Yet still you could not have made your point about the violence issue.

By the way, after checking the Hebrew meaning of the word I did not even look it up in the Septuagint, since I find it unnecessary.

For you to make some research about it the Hebrew of that verse is “Yahweh iysh milkhamah Yahweh shem.”

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 04:48
Fantastic! This is precisely the sort of thing I've been waiting for! Fascinating. WinkClap

This is exactly where I envisioned the thread going when I began it. I will have to beg your pardon for another week or so; to truly do the topic justice, I will need a bit more time than I happen to have at present. That said, you have my gratitude.

One brief note:

You will find that many, if not most of the individuals on this forum are interested in honest discussion as well as debate -- and one certainly doesn't preclude the other. We are all, on some level, convinced of the truth of those beliefs to which we hold, but I would hope that we are also willing to continually square them against our research and experiences.

I'd also like to take this moment to alleviate your concern regarding my use of the Septuagint. As an Orthodox Christian, I recognize the Septuagint as the canonical text of the Old Testament. It is the version most frequently quoted by the authors of the New Testament and the Apostolic Fathers, and its canonicity was recognized by the early Church. Thus, in matters exegetical, I turn to the Septuagint as the authoritative version of the Old Testament.  Thus, it was not a desire to make a point that caused me to cite the Septuagint, but rather a desire to seek out the meaning of the passage within a textual tradition that I hold as canonical.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 22-Jun-2008 at 04:49
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 08:11
Originally posted by fascinated

Also, you have no idea how many stereo typical approaches I encountered through my life about "open mindedness" "reasoning" and "ethics".

Amen to that brother!
Open mindedness in my experience is equivilent to "Why aren't you listening to me?!"

I know Ako you asked me to reply to contribute to this thread ages ago and I never got around to doing it (or maybe I am now), however every time I can to think about this thread I was befuddled by one problem. Either I do not know what the question is, or I can answer it in a single sentence. Perhaps this is a lack of historical exegensis on my behalf, but is there really anything more to add?

In Islam, violence is permitted iff it will bring about justice.

Is there anything more to add or discuss? Do the opinions of medieval scholars matter at all? Either to the medieval masses or to the religion itself? Not really I think. Good scholars I bet will say the same thing.
I have read all of the Quran more than once, but only parts of the bible. Yet I can talk alot more and longer about the bible than about the Quran. I'm pretty sure this is because the Quran is not a complicated document. Any questions about it can usually be answered in fairly short sentences. The bible on the other hand really doesn't make any sense at all unless you know what your looking for, and having not being born into a Christian tradition I usually don't. You have to know what the document is before you can understand it.

Fascinated I think has nailed it. What is said in an essay in Christianity can be said in a sentence in Islam
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 16:42
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I know what you mean by justice but I beleive that the concept of justice is a subjective matter (it is different for you, it is different for me, it is different in terms of law that the communities follow, governments put in action).

Islam follows the Newton's third law when it comes to topic on hand, for every action  force (in our case violent) there is an equal in size and opposite in direction, a reaction force to encounter it ( to defend yourself). But on the contrary to the third law, this reaction force can be smaller than the original action force, but the 3 rd law still holds, your reaction cannot exceed the action force in terms of size and direction.

Edited by Scorpius - 22-Jun-2008 at 16:48
Janissary
Janissary

Quote fascinated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 17:59
Justice is a subjective matter perhaps but it is also something we need for "peace" on earth. That's why there is such a thing as criminal law. Wheather secular or religious state is there criminal law is there as well.

Also, If you say that justice is subjective to the extent that a particular faith can not decide about you also say that you are quite ambiguous about so called basic human rights.

In case of the Qur'an It is again quite clear stealing, tresspasing, transgressing, opressing, forcing etc. these are limits. If you do not have clear definition for these then there is a problem.

In the last analysis regardless to justice ebing subjective or not, striving for it and trying to uphold it fairly is another test for us. A Muslim before thinking about how justful others are thinks how unjustful himself is.

Funny though when Qur'An warns people about the consequences of this, people start to cry out loud that Islam is tryin scare them. Hell "punishment" could be the result of it and yet people are tend to wish for not to be afraid of making mistakes than asking forgiveness from Allah for what they have done.

Just like you said every action has a reaction and that reaction might be faced in the hereafter. Islam (actually Christianity and Judaism as well being Abrahamic paths) tries to prevent the believers to face their actions' reactions in the hereafter.
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 19:34
Something about adultery, homosexuality, nudity, blasphemy? Or about my right to go to hell without listen to your advices (from Bible or Quran)?  
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Janissary
Janissary

Quote fascinated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 20:12
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Fantastic! This is precisely the sort of thing I've been waiting for! Fascinating. WinkClap

This is exactly where I envisioned the thread going when I began it. I will have to beg your pardon for another week or so; to truly do the topic justice, I will need a bit more time than I happen to have at present. That said, you have my gratitude.

I understand I have my own time restrictions as well that is why I wanted to cut your post into pieces actually. So no problem there.

I also understand your explanation about why you picked Septuagint. As I said I am not in a rush to make up my mind about you. That's why I suggested more carefullness. If you are honest there is no problem there also however it is a little disturbing point. You know everyone makes mistakes and as long as we want to communicate no lingering on mistakes but rather focus on the essentials for the sake of healthy communication. I am not infallible either I already might have made mistakes however when I am told you will be surprised how quick I accept and move on after correcting it.

Anyway I will continue posting my reply in pieces keep following them please.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote fascinated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 20:21

continued ...

He who sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

(Note: this means Christians have to kill four billion people alive today).

Quite a silly conclusion to draw, and I'm sure everyone can see why. There is no command incumbent upon Christians living under the New Covenant to exact retribution according to the Old. Anyway, this excerpt (Ex 22: 20) is part of a great number of laws which are no longer applicable under the New Covenant. We shall deal with the author's misunderstanding as to the purpose of the law, as well as his mistaken belief that it is still applicable below.

Actually as far as I can understand Exodus 22:20 refers to something different but no less significant. It mentions about killing the animals to be sacrificed which also I think leads to the concept of kosherizing a meat.

The Qur’An :

YUSUFALI: To every people did We appoint rites (of sacrifice), that they might celebrate the name of Allah over the sustenance He gave them from animals (fit for food). But your god is One God: submit then your wills to Him (in Islam): and give thou the good news to those who humble themselves,-
PICKTHAL: And for every nation have We appointed a ritual, that they may mention the name of Allah over the beast of cattle that He hath given them for food; and your god is One God, therefor surrender unto Him. And give good tidings (O Muhammad) to the humble,
SHAKIR: And to every nation We appointed acts of devotion that they may mention the name of Allah on what He has given them of the cattle quadrupeds; so your god is One God, therefore to Him should you submit, and give good news to the humble,

[6:121] Do not eat from that upon which the name of GOD has not been mentioned, for it is an abomination. The devils inspire their allies to argue with you; if you obey them, you will be idol worshipers.

This I do not understand why Christians give up to practice.

O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end: and thou hast destroyed cities; their memorial is perished with them.

This excerpt (Pslam 9: 6) is a record of God's support of the people of Israel. The Psalm itself is well worth reading, for it is a prophecy of the eventual reign of the Son. It didn't really serve the author's point -- it is a simple record, with no command either explicit or implicit -- so there was no need to clarify anything. Still, I thought it would be neat to put it in context anyway.

Here I have to ask can you tell us what are those three personalities in Trinity?

At this point we have addressed the essence of the author's misunderstanding and distortion of the Old Testament. The other quotes from the Old Testament may be dismissed for the reasons cited above. Now, let us examine his even more problematic failure to understand the quotes he cited from the New Testament:

The New Testament upholds the old:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

It does not contradict the crimes of the old; it reaffirms them.

What an absurd conclusion to draw -- and one that demonstrates that the author did not examine in any great depth the quote that he, himself, cited (Matt 5: 17). Christ came to fulfill the law. Having done that, we may achieve fulfillment, through communion with him, of that which we could not fulfill if left to our own devices. Once again, the Law is a tutor to lead us to Christ. All of the early Christian writers support this interpretation of the Law.

This fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of Christian exegesis is the heart of the author's untenable conclusions. More interestingly, this fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of the relation between the Old Covenant and the New is at the heart of the foundation of Islam,

Actually, it is interesting that it is Qur’An’s claim that the misunderstanding is on the side of the Judeo-Christian side. I know this requires a different topic yet we should touch this subject as well here.

1_ The earlier messages were corrupted hence Allah kept sending them successive messenger prophets to straighten those people out.

2_ Due to the tenacious efforts of them to play with words of the message for the earthly gains they started to claim false attributes and actions to God, such Him having a son, or Him putting only them in heaven but not the others etc.

3_ Their love for this world and the things in it, is more than their love for God.

When we look at the reaction of the Jews to Jesus we can easily see why … They were the first one’s to reject his message since the “authentic revelatory context” was/is not clear after all. They were expecting a super hero rather than a messenger/prophet. Why?

If the original messages were not corrupted and the concepts not had been changed this would not have happened.

Now having said that I believe the original message is still there in the Bible somewhere, however, the metaphorical, allegorical, literal etc. are all jumbled up and no one knows how to clean them. This especially is so apparent in the term YHWH. Just because they wanted to show respect for the Creator they forgot how to pronounce this word correctly because when it comes to recite this word they simply passed it with a silence note (this kind of practice is called as going excess in practice (ifraad)). So between the practices excessive and less (ifraad and tafreed) and by putting these practices and amalgamating with the original texts they lost many things. Pronunciation of YHWH being the most significant since it is used grammatically as the name of God, for those who ask the term “Yachyd” gen 22:2. Jews say that this word means “Beloved” The translaters of Septuagint translated it as “the one and only.” Jews claim that the original word is not Yachyd but Yadid referring that Isaac was loved over Ishmael who was Abraham’s other son from Hagar.

This Yachyd issue is very significant because Jews and Christians wrote a history over Abraham’s sacrifice of his son and they explained the conflict today’s Arab-Israeli conflict over it defaming Arabs as the descendants of the un-beloved son.

Now while this issue is a thing related to the violent conflict between Arabs and the Isrealites Qur’an narrates whole different story which resolves this issue quite interstingly;

YUSUFALI: Then, when (the son) reached (the age of) (serious) work with him, he said: "O my son! I see in vision that I offer thee in sacrifice: Now see what is thy view!" (The son) said: "O my father! Do as thou art commanded: thou will find me, if Allah so wills one practising Patience and Constancy!"
PICKTHAL: And when (his son) was old enough to walk with him, (Abraham) said: O my dear son, I have seen in a dream that I must sacrifice thee. So look, what thinkest thou? He said: O my father! Do that which thou art commanded. Allah willing, thou shalt find me of the steadfast.
SHAKIR: And when he attained to working with him, he said: O my son! surely I have seen in a dream that I should sacrifice you; consider then what you see. He said: O my father! do what you are commanded; if Allah please, you will find me of the patient ones.

YUSUFALI: So when they had both submitted their wills (to Allah), and he had laid him prostrate on his forehead (for sacrifice),
PICKTHAL: Then, when they had both surrendered (to Allah), and he had flung him down upon his face,
SHAKIR: So when they both submitted and he threw him down upon his forehead,

YUSUFALI: We called out to him "O Abraham!
PICKTHAL: We called unto him: O Abraham!
SHAKIR: And We called out to him saying: O Ibrahim!

YUSUFALI: "Thou hast already fulfilled the vision!" - thus indeed do We reward those who do right.
PICKTHAL: Thou hast already fulfilled the vision. Lo! thus do We reward the good.
SHAKIR: You have indeed shown the truth of the vision; surely thus do We reward the doers of good:

YUSUFALI: For this was obviously a trial-
PICKTHAL: Lo! that verily was a clear test.
SHAKIR: Most surely this is a manifest trial.

YUSUFALI: And We ransomed him with a momentous sacrifice:
PICKTHAL: Then We ransomed him with a tremendous victim.
SHAKIR: And We ransomed him with a Feat sacrifice.

YUSUFALI: And We left (this blessing) for him among generations (to come) in later times:
PICKTHAL: And We left for him among the later folk (the salutation):
SHAKIR: And We perpetuated (praise) to him among the later generations.

YUSUFALI: "Peace and salutation to Abraham!"
PICKTHAL: Peace be unto Abraham!
SHAKIR: Peace be on Ibrahim.

YUSUFALI: Thus indeed do We reward those who do right.
PICKTHAL: Thus do We reward the good.
SHAKIR: Thus do We reward the doers of good.

YUSUFALI: For he was one of our believing Servants.
PICKTHAL: Lo! he is one of Our believing slaves.
SHAKIR: Surely he was of Our believing servants.

YUSUFALI: And We gave him the good news of Isaac - a prophet,- one of the Righteous.
PICKTHAL: And we gave him tidings of the birth of Isaac, a prophet of the righteous.
SHAKIR: And We gave him the good news of Ishaq, a prophet among the good ones.

YUSUFALI: We blessed him and Isaac: but of their progeny are (some) that do right, and (some) that obviously do wrong, to their own souls.
PICKTHAL: And We blessed him and Isaac. And of their seed are some who do good, and some who plainly wrong themselves.
SHAKIR: And We showered Our blessings on him and on Ishaq; and of their offspring are the doers of good, and (also) those who are clearly unjust to their own souls.

According to this Isaac was given to Abraham AFTER the sacrifice henceforth the son was Ishmael henceforth the word was yachyd.

Now either Jew should back up about their claim that the word was yadid or the Christians should accept the son was Ishmael and the scriptures were distorted in accordance to the desires of the Jewish writers of the manuscripts.

Qur’An says;

[2:136] Say, "We believe in GOD, and in what was sent down to us, and in what was sent down to Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob, and the Patriarchs; and in what was given to Moses and Jesus, and all the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction among any of them. To Him alone we are submitters."

[2:137] "If they believe as you do, then they are guided. But if they turn away, then they are in opposition. GOD will spare you their opposition; He is the Hearer, the Omniscient. "

This is the miracle of Qur’An. For those who seeks answers sincerely and honestly the answers are there clearly simply.

Also you should know that Sacrificing a ram was a tradition among Arabs long before Qur’An’s revelation. If the son would have been Isaac why Israelites did not keep this as a sacrificial tradition is a mystery.

Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 21:16

Justice is a subjective matter perhaps but it is also something we need for "peace" on earth. That's why there is such a thing as criminal law. Wheather secular or religious state is there criminal law is there as well.

I agree with you. I am not questioning the need, I am questioning the people's understanding of the concept and their level of accepting actions as justified. It is all different. But once again that doesnt change the fact that we need justice in some form, that form differs here and there for everybody, but the fact is we are going to have it as it is.

Also, If you say that justice is subjective to the extent that a particular faith can not decide about you also say that you are quite ambiguous about so called basic human rights.

What I am saying is Quran has a clear definition with a universally justified boundary set, which also the nature itself follows, which again makes it universal. The third law of Newtonian Physics :)

Look at the word transgress, it alone is enough to make somebody understand that no reaction in terms of magnitude, in terms of direction, can exceed the original force that was in action.

Just like you said every action has a reaction and that reaction might be faced in the hereafter. Islam (actually Christianity and Judaism as well being Abrahamic paths) tries to prevent the believers to face their actions' reactions in the hereafter.

Yeap! Wink

Edited by Scorpius - 22-Jun-2008 at 21:17
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 21:38
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Also, you have no idea how many stereo typical approaches I encountered through my life about "open mindedness" "reasoning" and "ethics".

Amen to that brother!
Open mindedness in my experience is equivilent to "Why aren't you listening to me?!"

I know Ako you asked me to reply to contribute to this thread ages ago and I never got around to doing it (or maybe I am now), however every time I can to think about this thread I was befuddled by one problem. Either I do not know what the question is, or I can answer it in a single sentence. Perhaps this is a lack of historical exegensis on my behalf, but is there really anything more to add?

Is there anything more to add or discuss? Do the opinions of medieval scholars matter at all? Either to the medieval masses or to the religion itself? Not really I think. Good scholars I bet will say the same thing.
I have read all of the Quran more than once, but only parts of the bible. Yet I can talk alot more and longer about the bible than about the Quran. I'm pretty sure this is because the Quran is not a complicated document. Any questions about it can usually be answered in fairly short sentences. The bible on the other hand really doesn't make any sense at all unless you know what your looking for, and having not being born into a Christian tradition I usually don't. You have to know what the document is before you can understand it.

Fascinated I think has nailed it. What is said in an essay in Christianity can be said in a sentence in Islam

Ya know, I cant completely disagree with you here Omar.

One possible way in which we may view the two religions can be placed in their infancy. For instance, can the actions of Muhammed be reconciled with Christian theology?
The way in which Islam spread runs counter to the way in which Christianity spread; which is a question of historical fact. While I am certain I am simplifying some aspects of Muhammed's cause(for which I apologize), Im sure that his cause, in Muslim eyes, was one that glorified God. And herein lies the differences. To the early christian, his/her death(martyrdom) far more glorified God then killing another, even if in defense of one's own self. Now, this outlook which is seen on a "personal" level, must also be strived for on a "community" level as well.

Allow me to shortly create a level of differences; if I in anyway distort Islam, feel free to correct me. Regrettably, Islamic theology is not my specialty, to say the least.LOL

Now, although admittedly I am no Islamic scholar, it would seem that the action of killing, for Muhammed, seemed essential for the spreading of his message (Here I am not speaking of forced conversion). This, in the strictest sense of the word, would be foreign to early christian thought. However inadvertent, however regrettable, killing was an essential part of Islam if it was to flourish and not die out(ie.-Muhammed and his followers not die) [Ako has given a superb analysis with the Israelites in the OP]. Now conversely, after Christ's death, the Apostles had neither text(just OT not NT) nor sword. The Islamic cause had both and used them superbly. Christianity had only its message and the blood of its martyrs to wage its case, thus spreading her community.

Just a very simple analysis, which hopefully can be expanded upon.

Edited by arch.buff - 22-Jun-2008 at 21:44
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 21:46
The difference between love and justice is irreconcilable. Which is correct is far away from us, will see in the next life or neverWink. And fascinated answer the questions please, what do you think about blasphemy. 

Albert Einstein
Janissary
Janissary

Quote fascinated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 00:21
arch.buff

You have to consider one fact; Jesus was sent to Israelites.

In other words He was preaching to a people who was aware of the previous messengers.

Islam on the other hand was sent among those whose fore fathers was not warned.

This should mean waht was sent to Israelites was sent as a whole and its completenes to a people who was vaugely familiar with the previous messages. They had go thorugh what Jews and Christians went thorugh at the same time in a very small period. The early Muslims tried to exist similar to Christians for about a ten years of period. They were bashed boyckoted and ambargoed and beaten sometimes to death. Hence came the difference between the Mekkan and Madinean verses. Until then Muslims were not defending themselves by force.

So actually Muslims experienced both Christian way and the Jewish way in one single generation.

More to that, if Jews had listened to Jesus there would not even be a Christianity today i.e. as if it is a different teaching that is.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote fascinated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 01:17
The difference between love and justice is irreconcilable. 

LOVE ... what does it mean really?

Actually, there would not be a concept as justice if there would not be love. So that forgiveness should have a value.

Which is correct is far away from us,

Not really, the opposite of live is loneliness due to incapable of doing anything, not hate nor anything else.

will see in the next life or neverWink. And fascinated answer the questions please, what do you think about blasphemy. 

Actually I do not think anything about it. What ever you do if you are sincerely seeking for the truth Allah will lead you ... what ever you do if you have ultarior motives or some motives other than finding the truth, you will be chasing your own tail.

You see!!! sincerity is the key. If you do all the wrong things in the world in the end you will understand the truth by knowing the false. However, this way is a very rough road, not for everyone after all.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote fascinated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 01:22
Originally posted by Scorpius

I agree with you. I am not questioning the need, I am questioning the people's understanding of the concept and their level of accepting actions as justified. It is all different. But once again that doesnt change the fact that we need justice in some form, that form differs here and there for everybody, but the fact is we are going to have it as it is.

What I am saying is Quran has a clear definition with a universally justified boundary set, which also the nature itself follows, which again makes it universal. The third law of Newtonian Physics :)

Look at the word transgress, it alone is enough to make somebody understand that no reaction in terms of magnitude, in terms of direction, can exceed the original force that was in action.

Yeap! Wink
Good then those who interpret the Deen (religion or the path leads to truth you name it) for worldly gains no matter waht do they call themselves actually even if they really are the believers of Allah will suffer the consequences.

"Oo! believers avoid from the fire that was prepared for the idolators"

That's what Qur'An says. So even being a believer without trying to avoid is not enough to save one from the fire.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 01:52
Man you quote yourself!
Love? A thing you don't understand, it is a pillar of western civilization. Sincerity? My own tail?
All you do is to believe what you read, I'm sorry to tell you. Life and truth are more complicated. You are beautiful, you really believe what you think, how about the truth, about the crimes (christian or muslim)  in the name of religion? About the differences, the necessity to accept each other. (For example, discriminatory rule: christian - with small c is correct; muslim with small m - incorrect), USA discriminates you in a positive way and you think is normal; isn't. Some danish stupid paper draw a joke about islam and you overreacted, some people are dead (muslim) and some embassies are burn. You kill yourself in Iraq in an unimaginable way and of course USA is quilty. We are guilty for everything, you are just victims, I don't think so, you choose your position and you must accept the situation and change it. And don't quote from Quoran, the western world doesn't believe in Bible, Quoran is nothing.

Edited by Richard XIII - 23-Jun-2008 at 01:54

Albert Einstein
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 04:01

arch.buff

In other words He was preaching to a people who was aware of the previous messengers.

This should mean waht was sent to Israelites was sent as a whole and its completenes to a people who was vaugely familiar with the previous messages. They had go thorugh what Jews and Christians went thorugh at the same time in a very small period. The early Muslims tried to exist similar to Christians for about a ten years of period. They were bashed boyckoted and ambargoed and beaten sometimes to death. Hence came the difference between the Mekkan and Madinean verses. Until then Muslims were not defending themselves by force.

So actually Muslims experienced both Christian way and the Jewish way in one single generation.

More to that, if Jews had listened to Jesus there would not even be a Christianity today i.e. as if it is a different teaching that is.

True, Christ was sent as a Jew, but he was sent to Jew and Gentile alike. However, I understand what you're trying to convey. From what I know, the persecution of Muslims pretty much ended by the time of Muhammed's death. There was nothing to hinder Islam in her expansion, and it would appear Islam clearly acknowledged this. Islam was really a unifying tool for the Arabs. So, as history would tell us, Islam went on the warpath. Maybe this is a harsh word that should not be employed when one seeks to create a friendly dialogue; however, the raiding Arabs did not show up on the doorstep of the Middle-East and North Africa cupcakes in hand. Conversely, in many areas the Arabs were accepted with open arms for much of the Egyptian christians and christians in the broader area were not looked upon kindly by their Nicene brethren. Although this can not be equated to any sort of norm for all the other would be conquered areas. What  should be of significant note here is the way in which both christian and muslim view those who would deny their very beliefs. Here, I am thinking specifically of a quote from the Quran:

'Say: "Obey Allah and His Messenger": But if they turn back, Allah loveth not those who reject Faith.' (Quran 3:32)

The NT, on the other hand, nowhere states that God does not love those of no faith. Christ even went on to teach that the rule that it be permitted to hate the enemies of God, was no longer valid. It would seem that both viewpoints from christians and muslims to the "infidel" would be a helpful tool to more properly analyze both violence manifest, and the harboring of notions from each side that could set in motion the acts that in most cases is condemned by both faiths. 

As to your last point, I was under the assumption that this thread was intended for the discussion of comparative analysis of the world's two main religions as goes violence, not their validity. If that had been the case, I would have refered you to a few scholarly examples that treat the heretical sect that grew just outside of the sphere of Christianity, but not without its influences, and would in turn grow into what we today call, Islam. 

Edited by arch.buff - 23-Jun-2008 at 04:05
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote fascinated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 04:09

Wow! here we go first indications of getting difficulty to digest my posts.

Originally posted by Richard XIII

Man you quote yourself!

I am not familiar with the word processor of this forum. Also I do not have a computer I am writing in rush so be easy about it, will you?

Love? A thing you don't understand, it is a pillar of western civilization.

Let’s see, To usurp cultures, to usurp natural resources of others, to start wars world wide, To bring concepts into humanity such as genocide, crusade etc. Ritchie this must be some pillar what you are talking about. You, as Europeans, loved Bosnians so much and from the intensity of your love you killed and watched them to be killed, right?

You hunted to women as withes through centuries from your respect and love for them and when your love subsided a little you began to make them act in x rated movies so that you can get off, right?

You killed scientists from your unstoppable love, right?

Any how I believe you do “know” what love is. So tell us and we will be enlightened

Sincerity? My own tail?
All you do is to believe what you read, I'm sorry to tell you.

What should I believe or accept? Things that I do not read? Things that I have no idea or knowledge about?

What do you believe other than you read in the tabloid magazine?

Life and truth are more complicated.

At least you know that much !!!

You are beautiful, you really believe what you think,

You just said I believe what I read … Now I am confused … I do not know what to believe … things that I think or things that I read

how about the truth, about the crimes (christian or muslim)  in the name of religion?

The religion does not belong to me, who owns it would do what is necessary. I am only on a path that I call deen (you translate it as religion).

About the differences, the necessity to accept each other.

No one needs to accept any other just should learn existing together.

(For example, discriminatory rule: christian - with small c is correct; muslim with small m - incorrect),

O.K. How about Christian but cussing after that… Do not get carried away by the superficial i.e. don’t chase your own tail grammar rules are only for deciding a from not meaning.

USA discriminates you in a positive way and you think is normal; isn't.

Than it is not called discrimination it is called favoring when there is favoring there is a benefit when there is a benefit it is a trade so both sides are happy.

Some danish stupid paper draw a joke about islam and you overreacted, some people are dead (muslim) and some embassies are burn.

Why did danish paper do that? You are not asking and focusing on this but you are focusing on the reaction to it. For that matter just because, say Christians do not mind that does not mean making jokes about Jesus is O.K. And if it was for me Muslims should give same reaction when a stupid danish paper make jokes about Jesus as well or even about a “love guru.” No has the right to make fun others faith. Well there is verse in relation to this subject in the Qur’an but you do not want me to quote it so be it

You kill yourself in Iraq in an unimaginable way and of course USA is quilty.

Like how unimaginative? (Even though I do not remember saying or even implying such a thing)

We are guilty for everything, you are just victims,

Who doe you mean by “we?”

I don't think so, you choose your position and you must accept the situation and change it.

How? I “we” say that you should stop what you are doing will you?

And don't quote from Quoran, the western world doesn't believe in Bible, Quoran is nothing.

You have to calm down … It looks like you lost the coordination between your fingers and your brain. When you calm down and want to talk seriously then come again.

Janissary
Janissary

Quote fascinated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 04:38
Originally posted by arch.buff

arch.buff

True, Christ was sent as a Jew, but he was sent to Jew and Gentile alike. However, I understand what you're trying to convey. From what I know, the persecution of Muslims pretty much ended by the time of Muhammed's death. There was nothing to hinder Islam in her expansion, and it would appear Islam clearly acknowledged this. Islam was really a unifying tool for the Arabs. So, as history would tell us, Islam went on the warpath. Maybe this is a harsh word that should not be employed when one seeks to create a friendly dialogue; however, the raiding Arabs did not show up on the doorstep of the Middle-East and North Africa cupcakes in hand. Conversely, in many areas the Arabs were accepted with open arms for much of the Egyptian christians and christians in the broader area were not looked upon kindly by their Nicene brethren. Although this can not be equated to any sort of norm for all the other would be conquered areas. What  should be of significant note here is the way in which both christian and muslim view those who would deny their very beliefs. Here, I am thinking specifically of a quote from the Quran:

'Say: "Obey Allah and His Messenger": But if they turn back, Allah loveth not those who reject Faith.' (Quran 3:32)

The NT, on the other hand, nowhere states that God does not love those of no faith. Christ even went on to teach that the rule that it be permitted to hate the enemies of God, was no longer valid. It would seem that both viewpoints from christians and muslims to the "infidel" would be a helpful tool to more properly analyze both violence manifest, and the harboring of notions from each side that could set in motion the acts that in most cases is condemned by both faiths. 

As to your last point, I was under the assumption that this thread was intended for the discussion of comparative analysis of the world's two main religions as goes violence, not their validity. If that had been the case, I would have refered you to a few scholarly examples that treat the heretical sect that grew just outside of the sphere of Christianity, but not without its influences, and would in turn grow into what we today call, Islam. 

OK, I would recomnmand you to read Karen Armstrong. She was a former Catholic nun and wrote a lot about interfaith issues. I do not have to go through all the details of how Islam spread. However, I will tell this; Economical expansion and ideological expansion are two different things. Beyond Jerusalem the expansion was made during the time of Fifth Khalif who was namde as Muawiyah. And those times when Islam went through a big change inside and out.

Jesus was sent to Israelites according to Bible and The Qur'An, not for the gentiles or to all humanity. I remeber that I quoted this before.

As for the validity issue I meant that Christianity becoming a different religion than Juadism was merely due to Jews reaction to Jesus' message. Gentile repsonded even though they were not responsible from the message.

No you can not define Islam a heretical sect of Christianity since Islam is unique on its message because of the Qur'an. The only religion that its name is mentioned in its source Is Islam, for example. If you bring a verse that God called the teaching of Jesus as Christianity or teaching of Moses as Judaism then you could have done that how ever the only religion on the face of the earth its name is mentioned in its source is Islam

"...Today I compeleted my favor upon you and I chose Islam for you as a religion"5:3 Qur'An

Just because Qur'an accepts the previous messangers is not enough to bring it close to become a sect of either Judaism or Christianity. Islam is Islam. No scholarly appraoch can change this. Again interpretation vs. clear expression.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 05:54
Read up on Hodgson if you want a historical account of the expansion. Again that would rather be called Arab expansion than "Islamic" expansion. Considering that Jewish and Christian tribes participated in the conquest alongside the Muslim, I would rather agree with fascinated in calling it economic expansion.

3:31 Say, "If you love God then follow me so
God will love you and forgive your
sins." God is Forgiver, Compassionate.
3:32 Say, "Obey God and the messenger."
But if they turn away, then God does not
like the ingrates.

This deals with a clear rejection by people who have been explained the Word.

However.

If you had read on a little further you would have seen that the following verses back up the preceding. Again nitpicking doesn't bring much context in the Qu'ran.
3:113 They are not all the same, from the
people of the book are an upright nation;
they recite God's signs during parts of
the night and they prostrate.
3:114 They acknowledge God and the Last
day, promote recognized norms and
deter from evil, and they hasten in
goodness; these are of the reformed
ones.
3:115 What they do of good will not be turned
back, and God is aware of the
conscientious.

Clearly accepting Islam is not a perrogative, nor does God abandon everyone on account of it.

3:199 Among the people of the book are those
who acknowledge God, what was sent
down to you and what was sent down to
them. They revere God and they do not
purchase with God's signs a cheap price.
These will have their reward with their
Lord. God is quick in computation.

Janissary
Janissary

Quote fascinated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 08:29
A correction;

I said

Because QTL NFS (Waqtulu wanfusikum) is an idiom to tame one’s animal or lowly side (nafs). It does not mean commit suicide because that would be (MWT Mawta and the command form Yumitoo So literal meaning would be Yumitoon anfisikum which would mean take your own lives).

Here I made a mistake MWT in command form “Mattawa” and the expression should be “Wamattawa anfisukum”

Omar Hisham you must have noticed that Why didn't you say anything. I am trying to think in three languages here .. madhi, mudhari, amr all mixed up LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>