Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Violence in Islam and Christianity: A Comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Violence in Islam and Christianity: A Comparison
    Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 15:11
I have rarely liked what Paul had to say, so much hatred and vitriol. Jesus is always so much nicer.
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 22:27
What is that supposed to mean? as far as I know muslims follow their god not Christ and christianity was around before islam James ahd never heard of islam

Constantine how was Paul hateful?

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 01:37
What is that supposed to mean? as far as I know muslims follow their god not Christ and christianity was around before islam James ahd never heard of islam

Not at all. The modern religion of Islam is just a modern incarnation of a very old religion. God does not let people drift aimlessly without any hope of guidance. All through the centuries God has sent messengers to preach the message of monotheism to all the peoples of the world. We know the names of only a fraction of these prophets, Ibrahim, Moses, Jesus, Shoaib etc (pbut). Muhammed was the last of these prophets, certainly not the first. Hardly any of Islamic religion (as oppose to Islamic practice) has anything to do with Muhammed. Its all older. Jesus was the prophet immediately preceeding Muhammed and he taught the same message. So yes, we are definitely followers of Christ.
Christianity has become different from Islam only because Jesus's message was not properly recorded, leaving too much room for non-divinely inspired teachers.
The older you go in Christianity, and the further away you stay from St Paul, the closer christianity becomes to Islam.
The book of James is a shining example of Islam thought and ideals sitting right in the middle of the bible. And its certainly not the only example either, the OT is full of them. The funny thing is, there is a particular writing style that people use when they have read the Quran (the word of God) and are trying to replicate it, because they never get the style right. James uses that style. Which leaves me in no doubt that he did hear a revelation from God (probably narrated by Jesus), and is trying to replicate that style.

Contrast this to Matthew who speaks exactly as a modern middle aged Palestinian giving a religious talk. In fact, if you don't know how religious old Arab men tend to exaggerate, use excessive metaphors, colourful phrases and rather strange stories in their speeches I don't think you will stand much chance of understanding what Matthew is actually going on about.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 18-Oct-2008 at 01:39
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2008 at 19:32
Islam follows Isa not Jesus the Christos or son of God like Christians do so you are comparing apples to oranges Omar. To Christians it is a totally different Jesus. The same can be said about the Mormon Jesus and the Christ of main stream Christianity.
I would agree the Bibles has errors but so does the Qur'an, Hadith and other Islamic writings. From what I understand there were so many hadiths at one time that they were refered to as the ahadith. Which one is correct?
Here is an interesting link that shows some of the errors concerning the Qu'ran- science and miracles. As far I as know Muhammad did not do the miracles Christ was claimed to have done and as far as I know you religion accepts the miracles of Christ but of course he is not the son of God.

I think all religions have good points and I read the Bible; the Qu'ran and other sources to gain wisdom from.

What is the difference, with violence today, when you compare Christianity and Islam? I see violence in the Hindu religion also if you have kept up with what is happening to Christians in India. The Tamil Tigers are a crazy group and follow buda.
I wonder if we should include all the main stream religions and political groups; in my opinion the communist are the worse.

The below link is a critique about the claims Islam has made concerning science that shows to be errors. The site asks are these claims true????
review and come to your own conclusion

http://www.geocities.com/lone_wolf_gc/
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2008 at 21:58
I only care to discuss the last part of Eagle's recent post. I've read the link and have come to a few conclusions and one is about him. Got to admit that repsonding to his posts are getting to be fun. Like child's play. Eagle tends to come around and drop a few mysterious bombs on certain subjects. Relgion is one of them. Turks, Greeks, Politics and goblins are another. So, that is my first conclusion. My other conclusion is summarised below. Smile

The link is called - Islam and Science. Obviously written by someone attempting to refute some of the Quran's scientific claims. So far so good. Chapters are about things like the big bang, mountain formation, shape of the earth and so on. Certain sentences from various chapters are used as proof about the Quran's supposed inability to uphold itself against scientific scrutiny.

I picked a few that caught my fancy and decided to refute the refutations. First subject of choice - Iron.

Iron is heavy element and is naturally found in meterorites and the earth's core. It also makes up 5% of the earth's crust. The refuter attacked Iron's scientific principles of the Qur'an. The chosen sentences are:

57:25 - Certainly We sent Our messengers with clear arguments, and sent down with them the Book and the balance that men may conduct themselves with equity; and We have made the iron, wherein is great violence and advantages to men, and that Allah may know who helps Him and His messengers in the secret; surely Allah is Strong, Mighty.

same sentence different interpreter:  PICKTHAL: We verily sent Our messengers with clear proofs, and revealed with them the Scripture and the Balance, that mankind may observe right measure; and He revealed iron, wherein is mighty power and (many) uses for mankind, and that Allah may know him who helpeth Him and His messengers, though unseen. Lo! Allah is Strong, Almighty.

and a favorite of elder scholars (not one of mine though):

YUSUFALI: We sent aforetime our messengers with Clear Signs and sent down with them the Book and the Balance (of Right and Wrong), that men may stand forth in justice; and We sent down Iron, in which is (material for) mighty war, as well as many benefits for mankind, that Allah may test who it is that will help, Unseen, Him and His messengers: For Allah is Full of Strength, Exalted in Might (and able to enforce His Will).

The link's refutation is this: Iron falling from the sky is not a revelation in the Qur'an, it was well know before Islam. Although it is correct in the sense that iron can "fall from the sky" it is not the main source of iron on Earth. The Qur'an missed the main source of iron; iron that is part of the Earth from when the Earth was formed.

Twisted conclusion above from our supposed anti-Qur'an scholar. 'Falling from the sky'. Where is that written btw? I don't see that phrase anywhere. Is that all he could do though? Why not be tougher and say, "Well, God could have sent down the periodic table via the Qur'an and showed us the elemental properties of Iron". Jeez. Some people are never satisfied. But, God all knowingly did send us elemental properites of Iron if we care to look any deeper.

In the very same sentence we have:  We have sent Our messengers with clear proofs, and We sent down with them the book and the balance...

What are the proofs. Take a look at the chapter. Chapter 57 (Al-HaDYD or The Iron). Ring any bells? It corresponds to the atomic weight of a particular isotope of iron. Plus, according to the old arabic numeral system the abjad, 'Al-HaDYD, comes out to be 1+30+8+4+10+4=57. There is more. HaDYD or Iron by itself is 8+4+10+4=26.

Ha

=

Da

= 4

Ya

= 10

Da

= 4

Total

= 26
Guess what? 26 is the automic number of any form of iron. Fe26.

By counting the number of verses in chapter 57 we come up with 29 numbered verses and 30 verses in total. The verse mentioning Iron is at, you guessed it, the 26'th verse (by including the opening Bismilah).

Now whether 'sent down' written by one of the interpreters has any significance is also open to sepculation. It could mean about the formation of planets or that God is revealing properties of Iron to us. As Eagle would say, you be the judge.

Second subject - Mountain Formations

YUSUFALI 16:15 And He has set up on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with you; and rivers and roads; that ye may guide yourselves;

or

78:7 The mountains as pegs?

or

79:32  And the mountains hath He firmly fixed;-

The author then concludes that the Quran is wrong because, I quote:

The Qur'anic ideas of mountains are wrong, mountains are not fixed nor do the prevent earthquakes, nor are they cast into the earth. Parts of the Qur'an are also similar to Zoroastrian ideas that pre-date Islam, giving an indication that the author of the Qur'an may well have rephrased preexisting Zoroastrian ideas. The Qur'an, therefore, does not reveal plate tectonics 1400 years before modern science but reflexes human observations and rephrases what was already know in Arabia at the time of Muhammad.

Ok, nice deduction if that was what the Qur'an meant. But, as is the case with unseasoned ambivalence, it can and often does mean many other things then what the skeptic had in mind.

My impression is that those stabilizers (Mountains) are symbols of the firmness and relative equilibrium which the surface of the earth has gradually achieved in the course of its geological history (It is also ever changing as evident from effects of volcanos and earthquakes). But that sounds iffy still. Could another meaning be that Mountains are symbols of the solidity of the earth's crust - as contrasted with its possibly fluid but certainly very unstable interior - which makes life on earth possible thus relating to the meaning of the phrase "lest it sway with you" (or "with them") occurring in the above verse as well as in 21:31 and 31:10.

Third subject is the - Shape of the Earth.

(15.19)

YUSUFALI: And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance.

PICKTHAL: And the earth have We spread out, and placed therein firm hills, and caused each seemly thing to grow therein.

SHAKIR: And the earth-- We have spread it forth and made in it firm mountains and caused to grow in it of every suitable thing.

Of course the author has a dispute with this. He says:

The overwhelming view of the earth and the heavens in the Koran is consistent with the flat earth view. The Koran, therefore, is clearly in error in it's cosmology.

I say, that the author has a flat-earth brain; and Eagle has soft spot for flat-earth brain types. Thus, flat-earth brain people are clearly up to no good.

All one had to do was look at 79:30.

- The land after that, He made it like an egg.

or another interp.

- He made the earth egg-shaped.

Carpets, Mountains, and Eggs, oh my! Hmm, could the carpet be the crust? Could the egg shape be our sphere? Could Eaglecap be up to something?
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2008 at 22:35
I am glad you were able to refute it, it is good for faith building. These sources are Christian, otherwise, I would love to really study this and make this thread my nitch. I was only trying to point out there are different views. I know that answering Islam has a section about the accuracy of the Bible but I do not agree with them so I do not go there.

Edited by eaglecap - 30-Oct-2008 at 22:36
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2008 at 08:50
Originally posted by eaglecap

Islam follows Isa not Jesus the Christos or son of God like Christians do so you are comparing apples to oranges Omar. To Christians it is a totally different Jesus. The same can be said about the Mormon Jesus and the Christ of main stream Christianity.

No. There is only one person and he cannot be an apple and an orange simultaneously. Christians believe, based on the authority of human authors who did not know Jesus that he was the son of God. We believe, on the authority of God himself, that Jesus was a man and a messenger.
Not only that but these human authors have created such a complicated story, that the nature of Jesus is in perpetual confusion.

I would agree the Bibles has errors but so does the Qur'an, Hadith and other Islamic writings. From what I understand there were so many hadiths at one time that they were refered to as the ahadith. Which one is correct?
Here is an interesting link that shows some of the errors concerning the Qu'ran- science and miracles. As far I as know Muhammad did not do the miracles Christ was claimed to have done and as far as I know you religion accepts the miracles of Christ but of course he is not the son of God.

There are no errors in the Quran and you have done well yourself to prove it. Think about it, you have quoted a site that has nothing but hatred of Islam, and have tried their best to find errors in the Quran and this is the best they have come up with?
Never once have any of these people come up with an "error" that takes more than an atoms worth of intellect to see through. The only people they can convince are those who through blind faith to their own ideals are already convinced!

Think about it, the greatest enemies of Islam and this is the best they can do? Such that even a child could disprove it? That in itself is a proof of the revelation of the Quran.

ahadith is the plural of hadith. The ahadith are man made historical documents, and are subject to all the errors that fallible narrators can introduce. This has always, and will always be true.

I see violence in the Hindu religion also if you have kept up with what is happening to Christians in India. The Tamil Tigers are a crazy group and follow buda.

Err... the Tamils are Hindu. Its the Sinhalese who are buddhist. But your point is still valid because the Sinhalese are just as guilty as the Tigers.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 20:55
No. There is only one person and he cannot be an apple and an orange simultaneously. Christians believe, based on the authority of human authors who did not know Jesus that he was the son of God. We believe, on the authority of God himself, that Jesus was a man and a messenger.
Not only that but these human authors have created such a complicated story, that the nature of Jesus is in perpetual confusion.

No disrespect Omar but by saying this it shows you really do not know anything about Christianity or what they really believe. I grew up Lutheran, Greek Orthodox and I went to a Baptist school so I think I might have a better understanding. What are your sources; your Mosque and Liberal theologians who contrast with the more conseravative ones? Yes you are comparing apples and organges. Most Christian, other than the liberal ones, believe that God is the author and not man and also God used man to write His word. In many ways I am liberal about faith but I know what mainstream Christains believe and you are distorting it. The same thing you often claim I do with Islam. I think your religion teaches a lot of misconceptions about Christianity and maybe we do the same.

No errors in the Koran- that is your belief and I respect that.

Edited by eaglecap - 03-Nov-2008 at 20:56
Soren Svendsen View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Soren Svendsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 00:57
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

There are no errors in the Quran and you have done well yourself to prove it. Think about it, you have quoted a site that has nothing but hatred of Islam, and have tried their best to find errors in the Quran and this is the best they have come up with?
Never once have any of these people come up with an "error" that takes more than an atoms worth of intellect to see through. The only people they can convince are those who through blind faith to their own ideals are already convinced!

Speaking like a true believer :) Not every muslims consider that the qur'an is without 'error'. Some believes in the abrogation-idea; ie. that some parts has been exchanged for better parts (for some this includes verses which alledgely did not enter the final qur'an because they were replaced by a better verse etc.) Now as a reader of the qur'an (sure a non-believer) I honestly is ammased that people find this book as something a deity should have said/written; and I personally see 'errors', but of course I'm biased :) .
Furthermore I read a book which fits perfectly in the world of the late antique world. A time when some christians/pagans/jews etc. thought the world was spherical and some others of same groups believed it to be flat. Later based on the qur'an some muslims believed the earth to be spherical and others flat. My personal opinion is that the qur'an mostly adhere a flat-earth view for instans in the story of Alexander (or so most academics believe it to be with the resemblance with the legend of Alexander), not for the Murky water or the like, but because of the 'Ashab'; the heavenly cords and the concept of a dome. For a representation of this I recomend Kevin van Bladel article "Heavenly Cords and Prophetic Authority in Late Antiquity and the Qur’ān". To me the book just fits perfectly within the late antique context

Well it's a matter of opinion in the end, and that's how it is when human beings have succeded in establishing something in a religious context; it becomes a matter of opinion. But for the secular academic it's not good enough. Every religious book becomes a literature in history, a scripture which has a relationship with the environment it grew out of, a scripture which owes to the oral and scriptural traditions of the times before the 'revelation'.

Some believers today sees the qur'an as a metaphorical guidance inspired by a god; others try to reinterpretate (and retranslate the book) and thereby find 'miracles' and thereby a direct revelation; others 'new age'-muslims(/monotheists) might just see the book as a persons philosophical reflection of divinity. And of course there's other genres.

Edited by Soren Svendsen - 04-Nov-2008 at 01:00
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 05:14
The Qu'ran mentions the Earth egg-shaped, as it is, it isn't a perfect sphere. I am not sure where you get your flat Earth theory from.

As far as authenticity goes, well almost all will be the same, especially in Arabic, and if the translation is authoritative.

For a better translation in the English language that cares about being properly translated I would recomend Edip Yuksel's (among others...) translation. Here.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Soren Svendsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 13:23
Originally posted by es_bih

The Qu'ran mentions the Earth egg-shaped, as it is, it isn't a perfect sphere. I am not sure where you get your flat Earth theory from.

The egg-shaped translation is not backed by the great part of arabists. Dahaha does not mean egg-shaped. And that's illustrating the issue of this modern idea of islamic creationists as .

As Ahmed Dallal states in EI2

The challenges posed by the modern culture of science had no parallel in pre-modern societies. It is thus understandable that Islamic attitudes towards modern science would have to confront challenges that were not addressed in the classical period of Islam. But the desire to articulate contemporary critical concerns about science in Islamic language cannot conceal the radical departure of these modern articulations from the classical ones. In contrast to the contemporary readiness to strain and twist and, in effect, manipulate, the qur’ānic verses to endow them with a scientific meaning, classical commentators refused to subordinate the Qur’ān to an ever-changing science.

Dallal, Ahmad (2004): “Science and the Qur’an“. I: Encyclopaedia of the Qur’an. Ed. Jane McAuliffe. Leiden: E. J. Brill.

Concerning the flat earth, the idea of 'dome' and 'heavenly cords' fit perfectly with the contemporary idea of a flat earth among christians, jews etc. As said read van Bladels article where he for instans compares it with the worldview of Cosmas.

As far as authenticity goes, well almost all will be the same, especially in Arabic, and if the translation is authoritative.

For a better translation in the English language that cares about being properly translated I would recomend Edip Yuksel's (among others...) translation. Here.

Properly translated? Do you mean with the paradigme of trying to find miracles in it ;)

What approach do you think sounds most reasonable historically speaking ( you could also exchange the qur'an with any other ancient literature):

1. Understanding the qur'an (or any other ancient literature) in the historical context of which it emerged
2. Understanding the qur'an (or any other ancient literature) from a perspective where one tries to read modern ideas into it.

But of course this (1) it not a religious approach. And that's a place where people differs; and where you and I differ. But many muslims accepts the 1 approach and at the same time has no need for 'miracles' just like a large part of the christians feel about the bible.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 14:59

And the earth, moreover, hath He extended (to a wide expanse); (Yusuf Ali)
And after that He spread the earth, (Pickthall)
And the earth, He expanded it after that. (Shakir)

These are the most used English translations. The Muslims believed (and some still believe ) that the Earth is flat, according to Quran.

If Muhammad would have believed that the Earth is round, he would ordered to face Mecca spatially (through the Earth) not planimetrically, as they still do today (Muslims in Australia are not really facing Mecca).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 16:24
You are full of s---t sometimes Menu. What did I tell you about latching on the one selective quote proves it all train?

The egg - shaped follows the quote you have. Yes the earth is expansive, so the Quran got it right, expansive in the way its settable.
"And Allah has made the earth for you as a carpet (spread out)."
[Al-Qur’an 71:19]
"That ye may go about therein, in spacious roads."
[Al-Qur’an 71:20]
"He Who has made for you the earth like a carpet spread out; has enabled you to go about therein by roads (and channels)...."
[Al-Qur’an 20:53]
"And We have spread out the (spacious) earth: how excellently We do spread out!"
[Al-Qur’an 51:48]
"Have We not made the earth as a wide expanse"
"And the mountains as pegs?"
[Al-Qur’an 78:6-7]
None of these actually refer to a flat earth.

"And we have made the earth egg shaped".
[Al-Qur’an 79:30]

The earth is round (10:24; 39:5) and resembles an egg (10:24; 39:5; 79:30).

Here is some commentary on 79:30 from Edip Yuksel

DISCUSSION OF 79:30
Almost all English translations of the Quran mistranslate the word DaHY, a word that is still used for
"egg" among Arabic-speaking populations in North Africa. Why? The answer can be found in the
footnotes of some classic commentaries of the Quran, which were written centuries ago.
Early commentators and translators of the verse were stuck on the word DaHY, since it means (as we
have translated) egg. In the verse it is used as a transitive verb with the third person pronoun Ha,
which means "made it round like egg" or literally "egged it." But, the commentators thought that the
earth was flat!
Since they knew God's word could not contain errors or contradiction, they assumed their
understanding of the verse must have been wrong. Thus, they tried to interpret the description. They
argued that the word DaHY (egg) must have implied maDHY (nest), and inferred that God meant
"nest" by the word "egg." Therefore, the earth is extended like a nest.
Early commentators had an excuse for reaching such a conclusion, since they did not know that the
earth was spherical and slightly distended (like an egg); however, modern commentators of the Quran
have no excuse to parrot this medieval misunderstanding. They should have known that the verse
means what it says: the earth is shaped like an egg. The external physical appearance of planet earth is
like an egg, and its cross-section displays geological layers similar to egg. Not only is the earth eggshaped
and resembles an egg regarding its layers, but so is its orbit around the sun. In fact, this is
Kepler’s famous First Law of Planetary Motion: the orbit of a planet about a star is an ellipse, as
opposed to a perfect circle.
The Quranic description of the earth, the solar
system, the cosmos and the origin of the universe is
centuries ahead of the time of its first revelation. For
instance, the Quran, delivered in the seventh century
C.E., states or implies that: Time is relative (32:5;
70:4; 22:47). God created the universe from nothing
(2:117). The earth and heavenly bodies were once a
single point and they were separated from each other
(21:30). The universe is continuously expanding
(51:47). The universe was created in six days (stages)
and the conditions that made life possible on earth
took place in the last four stages (50:38; 41:10). The
stage before the creation of the earth is described as a
gas nebula (41:11). Planet earth is floating in an orbit
(27:88; 21:33; 36:40). The earth is round (10:24;
39:5; 55:33) and resembles an egg (10:24; 39:5;
79:30). The universe is also round (55:33). Oceans
have subsurface wave patterns (24:40). Earth's
atmosphere acts like a protective shield (21:32).
Wind also pollinates plants (15:22). The bee has
multiple stomachs (16:69). The workers in honeybee
communities are females (16:68-69). After years of
disappearance, Periodical Cicadas emerge all
together with a cacophony of songs, testifying a
similitude of resurrection for those who appreciate
God's signs in the nature (54:7). The creation of
living creatures follows an evolutionary system
(7:69; 15:28-29; 24:45; 32:7-9; 71:14-17). The
earliest biological creatures were incubated inside
flexible layers of clay (15:26). The stages of human
development in the womb are detailed (23:14). Our
biological life span is coded in our genes (35:11).
Photosynthesis is a recreation of energy stored
through chlorophyll (36:77-81). Everything is created
in pairs (13:3; 51:49; 36:36). The atomic number,
atomic weight and isotopes of Iron are specified
(57:25). Atoms of elements found on earth contain a
maximum of seven energy layers (65:12). There will
be new and better transportation vehicles beyond
what we know (16:8). The edges of land, that is
shores, will be reduced in size because of human's
reckless behavior (13:41). The sound and vision of
water and the action of eating dates (which contain
oxytocin) reduce labor pains (19:24-25). There is life
(not necessarily intelligent) beyond earth (42:29).
The Quran correctly refers to Egypt's ruler who made
Joseph his chief adviser as king (malik), not as
Pharaoh (12:59). Many of the miracles mentioned in
the Quran, for instance, represent the ultimate goals
of science and technology. The Quran relates that
matter (but not humans) can be transported at the
speed of light (27:30-40); that smell can be
transported to remote places (12:94); that extensive
communication with animals is possible (27:16-17);
that sleep, in certain conditions, can slow down
metabolism and increase life spans (18:25); and that
the vision of blind people can be restored (3:49). The
number of months in a year is stated as 12 and the
word Month (shahr) is used exactly twelve times.
The number of days in a year is not stated, but the
word Day (yawm) is used exactly 365 times. The
frequency of the word year (sana) in its singular form
occurs 7 times and plural form 12 times and together
19 times; each number relating to an astronomic
event. A prophetic mathematical structure based on
the number 19 implied in chapter 74 of the Quran
was discovered in 1974 by the aid of computers
shows that the Quran is embedded with an
interlocking extraordinary mathematical system,
which was also discovered in the original parts of the
Old Testament in the 11th century. And there's more –
much more. See 68:1; 79:30; 74:1-37. Also see
Appendix titled: There is No Contradiction in the

021:033 This verse clearly informs us that all (kul)
celestial bodies rotate in an orbit. Interestingly, the
earth's rotation around its axis is also implied by the
expression

79:27 Are you a more powerful creation than
the sky which He built?
79:28 He raised its height, and perfected it.
79:29 He covered its night and brought out its
morning.
79:30 The land after that, He made it like an
egg.*

I leave you with that to ponder about.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 16:29
Here is a quick wiki, too.

Around 830 CE, Caliph al-Ma'mun commissioned a group of astronomers to measure the distance from Tadmur (Palmyra) to al-Raqqah, in modern Syria. They found the cities to be separated by one degree of latitude and the distance between them to be 66 2/3 miles and thus calculated the Earth's circumference to be 24,000 miles (about 38,600 km), a value which differs from modern estimates by about 3.6%.[54]

www.wikipedia.org

Also

John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson write in the MacTutor History of Mathematics archive:

"Important contributions to geodesy and geography were also made by Biruni. He introduced techniques to measure the earth and distances on it using triangulation. He found the radius of the earth to be 6339.6 km, a value not obtained in the West until the 16th century. His Masudic canon contains a table giving the coordinates of six hundred places, almost all of which he had direct knowledge."[59]

and

http://www.submission.org/life.html

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 16:34
Smile
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Soren Svendsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 17:31

Smile

Hello Es

You did not answer my question.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 17:59
A proper translation is one that not only takes into account the vast richness of both the Arabic and the English language, but also that they are different and that it is hard to translate a text such as the Quran. Thus by trying to translate it for the English speaker rather than merely translating into a language you provide a the reader with something more akin to what could have been nativly produced in the language. A much better read and less misconceptions abound thereafter. 
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Soren Svendsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 19:02

A proper translation is one that not only takes into account the vast richness of both the Arabic and the English language, but also that they are different and that it is hard to translate a text such as the Quran. Thus by trying to translate it for the English speaker rather than merely translating into a language you provide a the reader with something more akin to what could have been nativly produced in the language. A much better read and less misconceptions abound thereafter. 

Yuksel is not that person. I'm sorry but I tend to rely a bit more on the academics opinion regarding the proper use and translation of Arabic and English.

But the question I wanted you to answer was the question about the historical context.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 04:23
Originally posted by Soren Svendsen

Yuksel is not that person. I'm sorry but I tend to rely a bit more on the academics opinion regarding the proper use and translation of Arabic and English.

But the question I wanted you to answer was the question about the historical context.

To each its own I guess. Embarrassed
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 04:29
We are not reading modern ideas into it, it is about translating the Quran properly. You must divorce your two questions first to be properly answered.

Now as far as the second part of your question. If we are studying the Quran in the sense of "history of relgion," then yes we look at a historical context, and if from theology then of course again from a theological viewpoint.
Now however from either perspective if you have a bad copy you will not be productive. You can put any other book into that category, too. If you have a rather bad translation of a book you will be hindered in the study of its context.

Now as far as historical context, yes it is important when looking at the historical perspective of the Quran.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>