Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trajan invading India?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Could Emperor Trajan attacked India?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [20.51%]
31 [79.49%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trajan invading India?
    Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 10:28

"It wasn't a failure, he successfully took Mesopatamia."

The goal of Trajan was not just to conquer Mesopatamia, but the rest of Iran as well, and in that aspect he failed, whether due to health or defeat.

"Oh I wasn't talking about invading the WHOLE of India, I meant like a little piece of Pakistan (modern Pakistan) that Alexander conquered. But I truly think he would have been able of destroying the entire Parthian civilization, that I am sure of. Although he may have not been able to hold all of Parthia."

Not even possible, north western India at this time is held by the Kushans a greater power than Parthia, and perhaps under the great king Kanishaka who subjugated most of western central asia and has hundreds of thousand of troops whose quality is no way inferior to the Legions.

Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 13:02
OK so you mean on a technicallity, I guess that's fair. But militarily, Trajan was successful in driving the Parthians out of the way.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 23:39
Not a chance, as every historian who has studied this has noted, once you get past the Euphrates there isnt a single defence barrier to the east to protect your territories from the various peoples to the east.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 12:39
with my respect to his military ability he didn't invade india becauseinhis rieghn roman empire reached it maximum size and it greatest point in the east was tigres river(mesopotamia)
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 01:43
Originally posted by Cornellia

The capture of Ctesiphon marked the official culmination of Trajan's third campaign and the war.   When he arrived in Charax (now modern Basra), there is the story that he'd arrived just in time to see a merchant ship sailing for India and he publically lamented he was too old to follow in Alexander the Great's footsteps. 

If true, this would indicate even he didn't think it was possible.

I've once read this as well.  Only what I read went once step further saying that his lament was to the point of crying because he was too old.  I agree with virtually everyone else here in that it would have over-streched the Roman Empire at that time...

Just a note, but with tectonic action causing the slow closing of the Persian Gulf, at the time of Trajan, it is highly likely that both the Tigris and Euphrates flowed into the Gulf separately.  So it is likely that what is now modern day Basra might have been on the Gulf coast.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 23:14
I read somewhere that Trajan once occupied the shores of the  Persian  Gulf, but he was only able to hold it for a  couple of months until revolts broke out.
As for India....Given the emotional toll for the soldiers of such an attempt to take India, i think that one major Roman loss on the battlefield would have demoralized Trajans army and left them dumbfounded. And i cant see them going undefeated through Central Asia like Alexander the Great did. And it was simply too far. Too much cavalry in Central Asia, and too many elephants in India. If they survived Central Asia, which i think they would have, i really doubt they would have enough in them to go much past the Indus River. Not to mention that India was equal to Rome in power at this time. If Rome achieved such a thing it would have been the most hardfought campaign in world history because there were too many obstacles in the way, not to mention India itself.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Herodotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Herodotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 09:20
I voted yes, seeing no reason why he could'nt have reached india. Of course, he would have had no hope of conquering it or even successfuly attacking it.
"Dieu est un comdien jouant une assistance trop effraye de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire

Idanthyrus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Idanthyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 15:58
Lol, was'nt the Kushan Empire at the peak of its power during Trajans reign? Their Empire was nearly as big as that of the Parthian's themselves.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 18:00
They would have starved to death, even if he took every Parthian city, they still had a huge pastoral element and would have attacked Roman supply lines left and right, fighting a guerilla war, quickly cutting them off and and finishing them slowly. The terrain East of Mesopotamia is unlike any the Romans would have had much experience of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12