Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Roman Catholics have lost a place!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roman Catholics have lost a place!
    Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 09:33
This thread is dedicated to Ponce, for his recent thread of similar name, but mostly to Leonardo, for reasons I am sure we are all aware!

Originally posted by http://news.scotsman.com/uk/Now-Islam--overtakes-.3929010.jp

Now Islam overtakes Catholicism as the world's biggest faith

Picture:%20Complimentary
Picture: Complimentary

By CLAIRE GARDNER
ISLAM has overtaken Roman Catholicism as the biggest single religious denomination in the world, according to new figures.
In its newly-released 2008 yearbook of statistics, the Vatican claims Muslims now make up 19.2 per cent of the world's population with Catholics at 17.4 per cent.

In the Vatican newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano, Monsignor Vittorio Formenti, wrote: "For the first time in history we are no longer at the top: the Muslims have overtaken us."

However, he said that if all Christian groups were considered, including Orthodox churches, Anglicans and Protestants, then Christians made up 33 per cent of the world's population or about two billion people.

The Vatican recently put the number of Catholics in the world at 1.13 billion. It did not provide a figure for Muslims, estimated at about 1.3 billion.

Numbers for other major world religions include an estimated 785 million Hindus, 360 million Buddhists and 17 million Jews.

Mgr Formenti said that while the number of Catholics as a proportion of the world's population was fairly stable, the percentage of Muslims was growing because of higher birth rates.

However, Bashir Maan, convenor of the Muslim Council of Scotland, said he thought that Islam was probably the largest religion in the world.

And he said it was not just down to higher birth rates, but because more people were converting to Islam.

"It is difficult to get a true figure of the number of Muslims in the world because trying to establish numbers in underdeveloped Muslim countries is very difficult.

"But if proper figures could be obtained from those countries then I think it would show Islam as the largest religion in the world."

He said that people were attracted to the religion looking for "spiritualism". He conceded that recent terror attacks had turned many people against Islam but added the religion had benefited from other people studying the religion to find out its true message.

"These people are discovering a tolerant and accommodating religion," he said.

A spokesman for the Catholic Church in Scotland said it was important to look beyond the figures.

"While it is a little unseemly to swap figures, a more realistic comparison would be between the Christian population of the world and the Muslim population, a comparison which would show the Christian world to be significantly bigger," he said.

He added: "Christianity and Islam are both 'religions of the Book' they share their origins in the Old Testament and although there are some hot spots of tension in the world, there is also a wide area of common concern for Christians and Muslims, especially on such issues as the family and the sacredness of life."

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 10:32
Is that Shiites plus Sunnis or just Sunnis.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 10:47
Why pick out one Christian sect, and compare it to all Islam?

I'm reminded of Bob Jones and others in the US and probably elsewhere who refer to 'Christians and Catholics'.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 11:46
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

This thread is dedicated to Ponce, for his recent thread of similar name, but mostly to Leonardo, for reasons I am sure we are all aware!

I'm not aware ... (I'm not even a believer)

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 12:00
Bob Jones University? Thought they were the KKK of acadaemia?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 13:58
Do these statistics take it for granted that the whole population of Poland, for example, is Roman Catholic - or that everyone in Turkey is Muslim?   What about Atheists and Agnostics? Or is this an indicator that the whole world will succumb to Islam?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 15:01

The extent or vigiour of faith is huge variable and best left out. Many people identify with a religion even if they do not practice it.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:10
Originally posted by Sparten

The extent or vigiour of faith is huge variable and best left out. Many people identify with a religion even if they do not practice it.

Roman Catholicism is not a religion.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:18
Originally posted by Parnell

Bob Jones University? Thought they were the KKK of acadaemia?

I wouldn't equate it with anything evil, or even especially political.  As with a lot of these "non-denominational" organizations, you file as a religious organization, and get yourself exempt from Federal tax.  That makes a much bigger reservoir of money for the Jones family, and all the in laws, to draw on.

Just a con game with a legal face:  As long as suckers empty their wallets, it is a pretty good gig.

The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:18
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

This thread is dedicated to Ponce, for his recent thread of similar name

This is for both of you

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:19

For this thread - given the thread starter - I believe it can be treated as such, for argument's sake.

HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:27
Originally posted by gcle2003

Roman Catholicism is not a religion.
So what is it?
Me pune,me perpjekje.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:30
As far as i know Islam has overtaken Catholicism but still over all Christians have the largest population in the world,about 30% of the worlds population is Christian.About 20% is Islamic.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:43
Christianity is a religion; Catholicism which is exclusive of many other Christian denominations is obviously just a section of Christianity, like Orthodoxy etc... and does nmot represent Christianity as a whole and as such is not a religion.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:48
Originally posted by gcle2003

Why pick out one Christian sect, and compare it to all Islam?

I'm reminded of Bob Jones and others in the US and probably elsewhere who refer to 'Christians and Catholics'.

That has been going on since the early Germans became Arian Christians and the Catholics looked upon them as more profane than the pagans.  These things splinter and fight among each other, and then recognize common roots.  It happened with the  11th c. Schism and again with the Reformation.

AFAIK, nearly all Christian sects other than the most fundamental (who sometimes are like Old Testament Jews) recognize the Nicene Creed as a statement of faith.  That has been pretty consistent since the 4th century.

Christianity is Christianity regardless of what con artists like the TV evangelicals say.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 31-Mar-2008 at 17:14
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 17:28

This is especially true in the West, where secularism has certainly detracted from religious faith. I would wager that a huge portion of those identifying themselves as Christians in Western Europe -- and, to a lesser extent America -- do so for reasons that center as much on culture as they do on faith. I don't know to what extent this is true of the broader Muslim world as well. Anyone care to educate me?

-Akolouthos
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 17:31
Originally posted by Zagros

Christianity is a religion; Catholicism which is exclusive of many other Christian denominations is obviously just a section of Christianity, like Orthodoxy etc... and does nmot represent Christianity as a whole and as such is not a religion.

An interesting distinction, the discussion of which could take up a thread all by itself. Perhaps we should start a thread on the distinction between "sects" and "religions", as well as the contexts in which these terms may be inserted.

-Akolouthos
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 21:29

Catholicism is a sect??Shocked
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 21:54
By definition, actually.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 12:18
Originally posted by HEROI

Catholicism is a sect??Shocked

And that should be 'Roman Catholicism'. Omar happily got it right in the topic title.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>