Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did Islam wage terror wars before?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Islam wage terror wars before?
    Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 13:39
I'm just curious about this issue because of Osama Bin Laden and all that.  I hope you don't feel offended by this.  From what I read, they were pretty much organized into cavary and stuff.  But did they ever try terrorist attacks like before 1900's?
Grrr..
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 15:24
I don't know about that, but terrorism is pretty much a global thing not limited to one people.  For instance, there was a lot of Korean terrorism during the time Korea was a colony of Japan...Basically a bunch of Koreans running around with Hand grenades tucked away in their lunch boxes.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 15:35
I agree,  Christians have done terrorism on Muslims infact.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 21:45

You could say they started it, then again I would say its not what religion should you look for to blame, its religion period.

But an example of Mohammedan terrorism could be drawn from the Sudanese force under the Mad Mahdi that casue the Egyptians and British such problems.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 06:20
Is it religion that's the terrorist and wages wars?  I think not, just smart individuals use it as a weapon to oblige dumb people to do dumb things to people who the smart people have some form of conflict with.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 12:57
well, thats certainly true too.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 08:32
I would think that terrorism as we'd recognize it had been a part of warfare long before Islamic groups practiced it.  I hear about such things as the razing of cities and enslaving of populations going back to ancient times.  However, with the likes of Osama Bin Laden and Al-Zarqawi plotting modern terrorism, one could say that terrorism is particular to Islamic culture. 

I believe that I've read about the modern terrorism having its roots in resistance to European colonization in the Islamic territories during the 18th and 19th Centuries CE.  Before that, the Crusades saw acts of cruelty on both sides.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 18:53

I think not, just smart individuals use it as a weapon to oblige dumb people to do dumb things to people who the smart people have some form of conflict with.

I AGREE 100%

However, with the likes of Osama Bin Laden and Al-Zarqawi plotting modern terrorism, one could say that terrorism is particular to Islamic culture. 

Its the main focus at the moment cause its americas enemy number 1.

But there are plenty of non-Islamisist related terror acts in the world, although they seem to be quieter lately... ETA, IRA, Communist Guerillas in Burma, Philliphines and South America etc

Umbrella View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Umbrella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 08:57
Originally posted by demon

I'm just curious about this issue because of Osama Bin Laden and all that. I hope you don't feel offended by this. From what I read, they were pretty much organized into cavary and stuff. But did they ever try terrorist attacks like before 1900's?

Muslim arabs comitted many terrorist atrocities against Iranians when they invaded.
lol, admin you idiotic ethnonym-hijacker, Zagros is the land of REAL Persians and REAL Medians you filth , HISTORY tells us that you fars cheuvenist, you'll very SOOOORRYY scumm, now go and f**k yours
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 09:16
All the way back to 1970s...remember the Libyans who blew off a Pan-American plane over Lockerbie,Scotland
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 13:37

Yes, just about 50 miles from me, it was in 1988.

anyway,  terrorism is nothing new and NOT confined to Islam. Crusades anyone?  Timurlane, anyone?  Inquisitons, anyone?

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 19:30

Those who say that terroism is in any way "particular" to Islamic culture are same as those who say that killing is "particular" to humans.

Osama Bin Laden blew up 3000 Americans - Americans starved out millions under Saddam by sanctions to "weaken" his regieme when actually they were only killing off civs and doing nothing to him. What's the difference? Same idiocy and same attrocity.

People seem to think that terrorists are only about people wearing turbans - but isn't the intentional massacre of civillians in any form terrorism?

maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 01:04
christians are just as guilty of terrorism nowadays, just look at the lords army in rawanda........
"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 01:25
Rwandans are Christians!?  Didn't know that, but perfectly possible since it was a French colony.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 05:40

christians are just as guilty of terrorism nowadays, just look at the lords army in rawanda........

Why go as far away as africa, in Ireland you have terrorists, the italian mafia are terrorist, latin america has many terrorists. Terrorism isn't a religious thing at all, too bad some people pervert religion like that.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 05:41

Rwandans are Christians!?  Didn't know that, but perfectly possible since it was a French colony.

Religions: Roman Catholic 65%, Seventh-day Adventist 10%, other Protestant 7%, Muslim 1%, indigenous beliefs and other 17%

Source: Wikipedia

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 09:50

there is a book, i don't remember it's actual name, but i was something like: "Battle of Gods" by karen Armstrong. It is about the extremism of all the three major monotheist religions and could bring light to the matter. I wanted to buy it, but when i went back some time ago, it was gone from the shelves, so i can't read it.

Of course you could bring America into being a terrorist state, as it is to many people or nations who have suffered threw its politics, but nobody remembers to mention that as the USA is doing it all for "democracy". It seems, Americans have forgotten what democracy is.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 19:46
It is about Freedom, War against Terrorism and Nuclear Bombs. lol

Edited by Evildoer
maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 21:12

as far as muslim terrorists who predate the 20th century...

shamil the chechen cheiftain who slaughtered many russian settlers in the 1830s...

the assasins of course.

im sure there are more that im forgetting.

"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 09:01
Originally posted by Evildoer

and Nuclear Bombs. lol

Nucular, actually.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>