Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did Islam wage terror wars before?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Gavriel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gavriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Islam wage terror wars before?
    Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 10:25
Originally posted by maersk

buddism never promoted mass slaughter, and dont say the japanese, cause the japanese practice shinto and quasi-buddism.

Tell that to the survivors of the Bhurma Railway,the Japanese starved and tortured 100,000s of allied prisoners of war.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 08:25
Before that the Sassanids were trampling over you Turks because they knew how to deal with you properly, that's why you were not around . Arabs only weakened the region militarily and made it ripe for conquest by the Turko-Mongols. 
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 22:33

After seeing Iranians claiming Turkish heritage (Seljuks, Safavids, Afsarids, Timurids, Azeris)

Go Arabs go, smash Ctesiphon.

Too bad, we were not around while you were invading Iran.

Al Bedawi, when are we gonna attack Iran again?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 20:47

What sort of a stupid title is this?  When did Islam ever wage a war except at the onset of the Caliphate? Every other conquest thereafter was simply an extension of geopolitical power in the name of Islam but for power and the last of those were during the Ottoman Sultanate well over a hundred years ago.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 20:22
Some people said that the Crusades were a form of terrorism. I don't think they qualify as such. The Crusaders comprised armies that attacked other armies. It was one army attacking another, which was perfectly accepted at the time. They weren't cowards who blew themselves up in front of unaware civilians.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2005 at 21:05

iam not sure but i think he is talking about a certain group in Sudan that calls it self Mohammedan.

not as a describtion of all muslims.

ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2005 at 13:01
Originally posted by Tobodai

You could say they started it, then again I would say its not what religion should you look for to blame, its religion period.

But an example of Mohammedan terrorism could be drawn from the Sudanese force under the Mad Mahdi that casue the Egyptians and British such problems.

i thought we were not going to be offensive here, mohammedan would suggest that we follow a mortal, we are mulism aka those who submit to god
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 17:03
What damages did Zoroasterianism make?
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 15:44

The holy fire, or cleansing fire. It goes on to show how much damage religions can do. But in this case, the religion becomes a force of unity for those who seek to find solace from the oppressions of the corrupt Celestial government and her officials.

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 02:42

Nevermind, just found that Zoroasterians are the same ones who hold high regard for fire (they do not worship fire, as people mistakenly thought.)  See here for details.

http://www.silk-road.com/artl/zoro.shtml

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 02:38
You mean Ming Jiao is a mixture of both Zoroastrianism and fire-worshippers?  Of what religion are the fire-worshippers?
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 01:05
Ming Jiao is more Zoroastrianistic. There's a worship of fire in Ming Jiao. But strictly speaking, I think it is a mixture of both.

Edited by sephodwyrm
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 00:08

Hey Berosus,

I know that Manicheanism reached China in ancient times, but I'm not entirely sure if "Ming Jiao" was Manichean (it probably was, cuz I can't think of another Persian religion in China.)  Were the Manicheans fire-worshippers?

Peace,

Michael

11-25-2004

Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 15:36
Originally posted by MengTzu

This sect believed in the appearance of a Buddha who will bring about the end of this world -- this should remind us the Messianism of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam -- and I think it allied with a Persian sect (I'm not sure which religion that was.  I think they were probably fire-worshippers.

You're thinking of Manicheism, a religion founded in third-century Persia to bridge the gap between Zoroastrianism (the "fire-worshippers") and Christianity.  It lasted in southwest China for a while after Zoroastrians, Christians and Moslems extinguished it in the West.  I wrote what I know about it here:

Manicheism

I'll bet Cyrus knows more.  Feel free to ask him.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 15:26
Originally posted by maersk

buddism never promoted mass slaughter, and dont say the japanese, cause the japanese practice shinto and quasi-buddism.

Well, there is a militant form of Buddhism in modern-day Myanmar.  As a result, at least half of the country's Moslems (Rohingyas) in the Arakan district have fled across the border into Bangladesh, and the largest ethnic minority, the Karens, converted to Christianity when Baptist missionaries arrived in the late 19th century, just to be a nuisance to the Burmese majority.  This seemingly un-Buddhist behavior is promoted by the government, not by the monks, but it exists nonetheless.
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 15:20
Originally posted by Evildoer

Rwandans are Christians!?  Didn't know that, but perfectly possible since it was a French colony.

Er, Rwanda was a Belgian colony before independence, not French.  I feel like Hercule Poirot pointing that out, LOL.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 04:30

Hey all,

I think sometimes we are looking at the wrong place for answers to why terrorism occurs today.  Islam isn't a reason for terrorism: it's an excuse for it.  It is in hindsight, because of what happened in recent decades, that we look at all the violent aspects of Islam.  If we are living in the Crusade era we would probably wonder that Christianity is a particularly violent religion, and single out all the narratives of wars in the Bible. 

Any religion can be an excuse for violence, even -- surprise -- Taoism and Buddhism!  Many Taoist priests were reputed anti-Mongolian heroes who fought in revolutions against Mongolians (I think the idea that people can fly and guide swords like missiles, now featured in Chinese martial art movies, probably started around that time.  The Taoists were famous for magic.)  And there was a Buddhist sect in late Yuan dynasty China that started a revolution against the Mongolians.  This sect believed in the appearance of a Buddha who will bring about the end of this world -- this should remind us the Messianism of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam -- and I think it allied with a Persian sect (I'm not sure which religion that was.  I think they were probably fire-worshippers.  I'm sure many here can inform me about that =) ) which is known as Ming Jiao (religion of lumination) in China (this sect believed that "Ming Wang," the luminous king, will appear to bring an end to this world.  It's not surprising that when the Mongolian dynasty was overthrown, the new Han regime named the new dynasty Ming dynasty.)

I think the reality is that many people in the Middle East are extremely angry at Western economic encoachment.  They probably feel that their national pride being injured, as the Islamic culture was once the most advanced in the world.  The Middle East is not alone: the Chinese, for example, call the past century the century of humiliation.  Imagine a scenario where Christian west are exploited by others -- I wouldn't be surprised that they would turn to religion for strength, and many religious leaders would cease this opportunity to mobilize their followers to fight.  In fact, we don't need to think of a hypothetical: just look at how many Fundamentalist Christians in America rallied around President Bush for this war.

Peace,

Michael

11-22-2004

Edited by MengTzu
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 00:59

No orthodox religion on this earth promoted mass slaughter as a form of religious sanctity except Judaism and certain paganism. For more information read the Holy Bible in the Old Testament and the Torah. Call me anti-Semitic, but the words are there. The Jews have put entire city (such as Jericho, Ai etc) to the sword with the excuse of that being the order of God and doing otherwise would result in His punishment raining on them.

But if you intepret it in another fashion, Moses said an eye for an eye. What the Jews meted out to the people of Canaan, they received it as well afterwards from the Assyrians and Chaldeans, who are then conquered by the Persians.

Take away the religion, and it becomes history of war. Simple as that. War is brutal, terrifying, and there's no holy excuse to it.

Edited by sephodwyrm
maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 16:19
"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 02:04
Islam isn't a religion filled with terrorists. Thats American properganda used to sway the general public into accepting the War Of Islam...Err...Terrorism. Same thing right?

Islam has "waged terror wars" before but terrorism isn't restricted to Islam and it predates Islam as well. History is filled with terror. Armies slaughtering civilizens in unhumane and downright sickning ways as well as people beating and toturing one another, I see that just as much as a terroristic act as Al-Quidea flying two airplanes into the Twin Towers. In my eyes the Sons Of Liberty were terrorists but in US History Class, we praise them as heroes. Meh.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>