Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top US military commander resigns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jonathan4290 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top US military commander resigns
    Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 15:07

If you read the articles that follow the 15-20 covering the Spitzer scandal, you'll discover that Admiral William Fallon has resigned after reportedly fighting off a push by the White House to invade Iran. He was running both the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Any thoughts on this? What does this mean for both wars?

Edited by Jonathan4290 - 12-Mar-2008 at 15:07
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 15:34
When you disagree with your boss, you can either suck it up and do what is expected, or you can leave.  Admiral Fallon is age 63, and it is time to retire anyway.

Where does the Toronto Globe and Mail get the impression the US is going to war in Iran?  Confused    That doesn't even make sense. 

The long term strategic interest in the Gulf is not in warfare, but in remaining in position to have substantial influence over oil supplies.  Kuwait isn't close enough and doesn't afford sufficient flexibility.  Mesopotamia does.  Iran, regardless of all the BS, is the one at a disadvantage here.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 16:13
Colin Powell did his best to change Bushs mind before Iraq. If he had of resigned over that farce, people may have thought twice about going to war on hysterical emotion, as he was so widely respected. Fair play to Admiral William Fallon. The mans a patriot - lets not forget that a soldier doesn't swear allegiance to the flag or the President, but to the Constitution. If ones conscience is ruined by even the sniff of an unconstitutional war (Iran would be a rehash of that, Iraq wasn't exactly a war declared by Congress, they only gave the President authorisation) then the soldier must step down. 
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 19:16
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

When you disagree with your boss, you can either suck it up and do what is expected, or you can leave.  Admiral Fallon is age 63, and it is time to retire anyway.

Where does the Toronto Globe and Mail get the impression the US is going to war in Iran?  Confused    That doesn't even make sense. 

So?
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 21:27
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

So?

So.....the last sentence of the post  (unreferenced) was the most important part of it.  Wink

Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 01:38
American-Iranian relations will depend highly on who our next President is.
My Name is Eli Manning. Ponce owns my soul.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 01:51
Obama seems most capable of that job so far. 
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 02:57
Agreed. As opposed to old John "Bomb-Bomb Iran" McCain...
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 10:04
Can't bush engage before he gives up the posts? Then the mess would be on the next President's hands...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 16:35
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

Agreed. As opposed to old John "Bomb-Bomb Iran" McCain...

He is like your senile great uncle; the only scary thing is that unlike your senile old great uncle he could actually end up making decisions Confused
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 21:10
See, I like McCain. He seems like a stand-up guy who says and does what he believes in. The only problem is that he believes in Hundred-Year Wars and pre-emptive strikes in the Middle East. Ergo, I could not in good conscience vote for him. 
Jonathan4290 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 21:20
The media here in Canada loves Obama by the way. Is it safe to assume that Obama would defeat McCain? To me it seems like a battle between an old pessimist and a young optimist
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 21:29
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

See, I like McCain. He seems like a stand-up guy who says and does what he believes in. The only problem is that he believes in Hundred-Year Wars and pre-emptive strikes in the Middle East. Ergo, I could not in good conscience vote for him. 

That is his problem; he lives in another world where it is ok to have 100 year wars and where something 30 years ago is playing out in his head on a constant basis so in fact as to cloud his judgment of the present. He does say what he thinks; which is rare, however, he is a bit of a "flip-flopper" too in certain political respects. Not only did Bush Jr. make disqualifying marks about him, but he has made his distaste of him public before 01, but in the end he sucked it up and decided that not criticizing the pres would be better for him 8 years later. Personally I dont think that that is commendable either, if you did not like the job he was doing then wheter he is in your party or not say it do not hold it back because he and his daddy can get you promoted 8 years later, too.
 Post Reply Post Reply