Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Major League Baseball 2008 season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Major League Baseball 2008 season
    Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 07:03
Yes, baseball fans, it is about that time again! Smile

What an interesting season we have to look forward to.  Many interesting trades and free agent signings promise to make this season action-packed.

What is everyone's predictions?  Who are players you are following?  Who will have a record or breakout year?

As for me, I am definitely looking for the Detroit Tigers to go far.  After their disappointing end last season, they have made the necessary adjustments, making their team an unbelievable lineup from start to finish.

Secondly, although Billy Beane has gutted the team, including trading my favorite player Nick Swisher to the White Sox, the Oakland A's seem to be doing well in spring training play.  Is this any indication of what the season may be like for them?

Still a big fan of Swisher, although he was traded.  I am looking for him to be a dark horse candidate in the homerun race this year.

Other players whom I think will put up some astounding numbers: Curtis Granderson (Tigers), Brandon Phillips (Reds), and Hanley Ramirez (Marlins).  These three have a good chance of making a 30 HR and 30 SB season; Phillips and Ramirez did it last year.  Perhaps there is another 40-40 member in their midst?

Musashi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Musashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 14:53
I'm giddy about the Tigers. Their lineup is incredible with more depth than any other team in MLB. If they can shore up their bullpen a bit I'm thinking another World Series appearance! 
In emptiness there is good but no evil.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 17:34
Keep in mind that a line up with 1000 run potential isn't always a good thing. Case and point the NY Yankees (my team) they have a line up that led the league in runs last year and I would say is still better than the Tigers. The problem with these lineups is they are made to feast on mediocre teams and famine on teams with good pitching.

I will be watching (rather listening) to the three youngsters in the Yankees rotation. I don't think they (the Yankees) will go very far but I think they will make the playoffs on the strength of their bats. Next year is a different story I think they will be a force to reckon with next year and the years to come.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 18:15
As a Red Sox fan for over 20 years I think they should be in the hunt most of the year. We'll see how the pitching holds out. The rotation looks real suspect to me. Things can turn south real quick as Beckett is still prone to injury, Dice K really went down hill by the end of last season and Wakefield's production will probably decline somewhat as he rarely puts up good back to back years and last year was probably almost a career year for him(age and back problems a concern as well). With the lose of schilling for a lot or all of the year and the surprise pick up of a washed up Colon it could be tough to match last years win total. A healthy Ortiz should be able to keep the offense right on par with last years if not better. I would think the Red Sox will be in the hunt for both division and or wild card this year.

Not a National League fan but I'm cheering for the Dodgers to do well as I like Joe Torre and hope he has a good first year.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 00:04
With Santana gone, and looking at what we got in return, I'm not thinking much for the coming year; we weren't all that good last year with Santana.  We'll see how it goes but I am starting to wonder if our run of good years is over and we're slowly starting to revert to the norm; our amazingly poor teams of the nineties.  If only Polad would, um, "disappear" or for a less unpleasant statement, sell the team. 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2008 at 01:22
i hope Blue Jays will make the playoff this year, the last a few years were pretty rough for the Jays, so hopefully things will be different this year.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2008 at 01:27
The Jays are going to have a tough time making the playoffs since they have to play the Yankees and Redsox 38 times, not to mention the Tigers, Indians, and Angels. They will have a tough time making the playoffs. If there is a team in the AL East who can unseat either the Yankees and Redsox the Jays are that team.
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2008 at 23:12
man, i wish the jays are in the national league
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 19:12
Originally posted by Musashi

I'm giddy about the Tigers. Their lineup is incredible with more depth than any other team in MLB. If they can shore up their bullpen a bit I'm thinking another World Series appearance!

Yes, the Tigers seem to be showing that their adjustments in the offseason meant business!  The lineup has looked unbelievable in spring training play.  One surprise is that Ivan Rodriguez is leading the league in home runs!

Originally posted by King John

Keep in mind that a line up with 1000 run potential isn't always a good thing. Case and point the NY Yankees (my team) they have a line up that led the league in runs last year and I would say is still better than the Tigers. The problem with these lineups is they are made to feast on mediocre teams and famine on teams with good pitching.

It looks like the Tigers' pitching is doing pretty well in spring training.  Bonderman and Verlander seem to be in good shape after being thoroughly worn out last season, and with Bonderman blowing out his elbow.  The addition of Dontrell Willis appears to be working out well too.

I will be watching (rather listening) to the three youngsters in the Yankees rotation. I don't think they (the Yankees) will go very far but I think they will make the playoffs on the strength of their bats. Next year is a different story I think they will be a force to reckon with next year and the years to come.

In your opinion, what do you think Girardi brings to the team as manager?  I think you said he would have them run more.

Originally posted by Gundamor

Dice K really went down hill by the end of last season

Dice K might turn out to be one of the biggest, most expensive blunders in baseball history.  He definitely has not produced like they were predicting during spring training last year!  The Red Sox have a lot of pitching issues to deal with, especially with old ailing veterans.

Originally posted by Justinian

With Santana gone, and looking at what we got in return, I'm not thinking much for the coming year; we weren't all that good last year with Santana.  We'll see how it goes but I am starting to wonder if our run of good years is over and we're slowly starting to revert to the norm; our amazingly poor teams of the nineties.  If only Polad would, um, "disappear" or for a less unpleasant statement, sell the team. 

How will the Twins deal with the loss of Tori Hunter?  It seems he was a good defensive player and a key to their running game offensively.

The Jays are going to have a tough time making the playoffs since they have to play the Yankees and Redsox 38 times, not to mention the Tigers, Indians, and Angels. They will have a tough time making the playoffs. If there is a team in the AL East who can unseat either the Yankees and Redsox the Jays are that team.

It would be great to see the Blue Jays clean up the division!  I am worried about the Glaus-Rolen trade in that it took away some of the power from their lineup.  I don't see how Rolen is all around better than Glaus.  Also, they picked up Eckstein.  I guess this adds some speed, but his defense leaves a bit to be desired.

Has anyone noticed that the A's are cleaning up in preseason play?  They have an 11-5 record already after the major restructuring of the team with farm prospects! Big%20smile

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 21:40
Dice K was use to a different pitching system in terms of rest so I believe that was part of the problem, also the season is longer and other culture adjustments probably wore on him as well as the obvious pressure. He did have a really good run of months and his win total was lower due to lack of support. His stuff is still there and I still expect 16-20 game wins this year. Just hope he can finish stronger and have something for the playoffs. Becket already has back problems it appears as well.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 22:03

Losing Hunter will definitely hurt, BE.  He was the best centerfielder I've seen since Griffey in his prime/or Puckett.  His 20+ home runs and steals are going to be a loss not soon replaced.  I'm not sure who's in the running to start, I'll have to talk with a couple of friends more knowledgable, we did get a prospect that plays center in the Santana trade but I'm not sure if he's considered ready yet. 

I will say though that we've made a living of raising great prospects then letting them go into free agency and replacing them.  *cough* David Ortiz *cough*, or the aforementioned Hunter.  We could build two or three playoff caliber teams just on those players we lost since it all began back in 01'.  I sure hope the run isn't over yet, last time we won two championships, we need at least one this time around.Big%20smile  Winning the championship when one is six (or one) just doesn't have the same effect as one would now.  Though if we do revert back at least all the fare weather fans will take a hike.  I miss having my own section at the game.LOL 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 00:57
BE, I think Girardi will bring more of a national league style of play, more running. I also think personally that he will really help with the young pitching staff bringing them to realize their full potential.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2008 at 03:08
I know that I keep mentioning this but has anyone seen how well the Oakland A's are doing?  Do you think this is just a fluke or does it bode well for them in the regular season?  They are 15-5 with a .750 win percentage.

Also, what's with the Tampa Bay Rays' 13-3 record with an .813 win percentage? Wow. LOL

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2008 at 03:22
I cant really stand baseball until the playoffs. I think before then they should make the innings at most 6 cause 9 is just too much at this time.

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 18-Mar-2008 at 03:24
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 05:16

BE, I think Girardi will bring more of a national league style of play, more running. I also think personally that he will really help with the young pitching staff bringing them to realize their full potential.

What do you think this will do for A-Rod's numbers?  Along with his 54 HR and 156 RBI last season he had 24 SB.  Can we expect to see Girardi run the Yankee's most prized possession even more?  It would be great to see him put up another 40-40 season, if not inaugerating the first 50-50 season! Big%20smile

By the way, is anyone playing fantasy baseball?  If so, do you care to give us an indication of your lineups?

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2008 at 03:13
I think A-rod will hit 30-30 this year but not 40-40 or 50-50. I think the entirety of the yankees will run more, but I don't think that Girardi will run him enough for 40 or 50 steals this season.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2008 at 15:52
I can't see the Yankees really increasing their SB totals that much. Their lineup isn't full of young legs anymore and the sheer power of the hitting would make it questionable to run them out of big innings. I don't think A-rod is capable of 40-50 stolen bases and 30 would be the limit at this point in his career. If anything Girardi might do more hit and run or put runners in motion but the Yankees have such a monster hitting lineup that really he can sit back and watch the runs come in. Especially if the team stays healthy.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2008 at 20:16
While I agree with you Gundamor, I do see them increasing their SB total especially when you factor in guys like Melky Cabrera, Robinson Cano, Damon, Jeter, and Abreu. While only two of them are spring chickens (if you will) I think Girardi will be running more, especially with Damon and Jeter.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 19:51
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I know that I keep mentioning this but has anyone seen how well the Oakland A's are doing?  Do you think this is just a fluke or does it bode well for them in the regular season?  They are 15-5 with a .750 win percentage.

Also, what's with the Tampa Bay Rays' 13-3 record with an .813 win percentage? Wow. LOL

well your 0-1 now haha, sorry couldn't resist and yeah its real early almost to early to say early.
nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 20:39
I'm not a hardcore baseball nut or anything, but I'm a Seattle Mariners fan and plan on attending at least a few games this summer (sort of a family tradition).

We haven't had a good season since I think 1995, but who knows right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>