Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chinese Military Conduct Against Steppe Armies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chinese Military Conduct Against Steppe Armies
    Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 12:44
Originally posted by The Charioteer

Originally posted by Omnipotence

I see. Usually I automatically translate 万余人 as "lots and lots of people". But literally it would mean "over ten thousand people". Thx.

Crossbow was noted for its effectiveness against steppe nomads during the Han period, Liling's 5,000 men were just armed with that kind of weapons and they were skilled at such, thats one major contributing factor to his outstanding military performance.

wasnt this the chokonu bow, an amazing weapon I might add. to be honest, this weapon would have been effective against anyone.
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 17:55

Actually, I don't recall the chokonu ever being used against the steppes during this period. The ChoKoNu was given a lot of emphasis from the West(I think ever since AgeOfEmpires2 came out), but in reality most Chinese crossbows work like... the stereotypical crossbow: You draw it, you shoot, you reload. It tends to be slow as hell, but it tends to outrange/outpower most bows.

Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 00:38
good point as well, the chokonu would have a far limited acuracy range because of its burst fire.
Xianpei View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Xianpei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 04:42
Originally posted by The Charioteer

Originally posted by Xianpei

Liubang was surrounded by Xiongnu army and got very very dangerous situation.  If Liubang did not take the urgent plan recommended by his "staff" ChenPing to "please" & "corrupt" the Xiongnu Zhenyu's wife, who made significant influence to her husband to retreat his army,  this part of history would have been re-written.    Hence, we cannot over-jump to the conclusion that Liubang was not defeated in this battle of BaiDung.  Here, I want to disclose another half story.

Actually, the Shiji has no record of this,

"匈奴围我平城,七日而後罢去"

it simply says Xiongnu encircled the Chinese army at Pingcheng for seven days then they retreated. thats it.

the later history work the Hanshu(book of Han) has no record of such plot either,

"遂至平城,為匈奴所圍,七日,用陳平祕計得出"

"arriving at Pingcheng, the Chinese army were surrounded by Xiongnu for seven days, then they were relieved by using Chenping's stratagem."

Its only from later paraphrase by Yingshao(who lived during the late Eastern Han period) did someone give some "details" regarding so called "Chenping's stratagem".

應劭曰:「陳平使畫工圖美女,間遣人遺閼氏,云漢有美女如此,今皇帝困厄,欲獻之。閼氏畏其奪己寵,因謂單于曰:『漢天子亦有神靈,得其土地,非能有也。』於是匈奴開其一角,得突出。」

According to Yingshao:"Chenping sent painting of beauty to wife of Xiongnu chief, and told her that the Han emperor want to offer such beauty to the Chanyu in order to relieve himself from Xiongnu's encirclement. The Xiongnu queen was afraid that such beauty could threaten her position so she urged the Xiongnu chief to let Han emperor go, hence Xiongnu let the Chinese army go."

but another paraphrase noted "應氏之說出桓譚新論,蓋譚以意測之,事當然耳,非紀傳所說也"
what Yingshao says is derived from a "new theory" by Huantan(who also lived during Eastern Han period) which was surmised by himself rather than been recorded by any history works.

So first of all dont treat "this part" as a piece of history other than a story, because its not recorded by any legit history works, least to say making claims like  "history would be re-written" which is based on that piece of groundless "history".

besides to believe the Xiongnu sold its military upper hand to a woman's jealousy is just devaluating the quality of the Xiongnu chief.

The reality is we dont know what exactly happened, anything beyond original history records on the event are nothing but speculations, soLiubang was only surrounded(as thats what the history records say) but not defeated.(no direct evidence to suggest such)

This was the Battle of BaiDung (or Pencheng, present day DaTung of Shanxi Province of China) that Han took the initiative to deploy a large army including most of Han's elite troops (if my memory is right, it is of 400,000 in number) in a bid to crash XiongNu thoroughly at one time.  So that Xiongnu would not always "disturb" Han's northern provinces.  However, XiongNu got preparation and set up battle tactics to "attract" Han army to get into the extreme danger of being surrounded by their mounted archery forces.   The Xiongnu eventually ceased the surroundings and let the  Han army and her Emperor run away back home southwards.   In terms of this battle's objectives and the results,  the losing side is Han.  After this battle, until HanWuDai times, there were no more peoples of Han Empire dare to initiate and implement an assault plan on Xiongnu.  After this defeat, the strategy of coping with Xiongnu by Han before HanWuDai period has been changed.
About Shiji ( it is one of the greatest chronicle) record on this battle, one would understand why it was not spoken out for the reason of return of the Han army (as it was gloom that LiuBang, the founder of Han, needs to rely on some bad tactics targeted on the enemy King's woman  to "win" the Xiongnu's release of Han's encircled army, instead of fighting to death!).  
Above all, it is logical and natural for us to think about: why the Han army get return?   And also that if Xiongnu army did not let LiuBang go and made a final decisive assault on the Han's forces, (who were now of low morale, short of supplies, and lack of IMMEDIATE and FAST reinforcement coming to save them  swiftly),  the history of Han would have been just the same like now?  I really doubt that.
Of course, it is not uncommon that this kind of thing is really hated by those  narrow-minded Pan-Hannism peoples.

Xianpei View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Xianpei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 11:09
Correction:
The no. of soldier of 400,000 should be for Xiongnu, instead of Han side. (but it is believed Han side was of more or less same)

Also see the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Baideng
The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 12:26

Of course, it is not uncommon that this kind of thing is really hated by those  narrow-minded Pan-Hannism peoples.

No legit history works ever recorded the plot surmised by Huantan, a man lived during Eastern Han period. And i support my argument with original reference.

such plot is just a speculation without any evidences to prove as noted by Hanshu(the book of Han). And i support my argument with original reference

You want to somehow prove the plot surmised by Huantan is what actually happened?
while there arent any records support it then you are calling it as "hated by those  narrow-minded Pan-Hannism peoples."

what kind of retarded claim is that? what is the basis for this retarded claim of yours anyway?
Huantan's "new theory" regarding "Chenping's stratagem"? or you have anything better than that to use?
which was clearly noted in Hanshu as not correspondent with any legit history works, that such theory was surmised by Huantan himself.

As for any direct evidences to suggest that Liubang was defeated instead of just surrounded, theres none. And i support my argument with original references(both shiji and hanshu).

Edited by The Charioteer - 10-Apr-2008 at 12:56
Xianpei View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Xianpei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 14:00
First of all, I would not object it if you see you are one of the Pan-Hannish peoples, as I am not writing that sentence targetting on you.  Like in my earlier saying that you're too sensitive.
Second, we need to be open minded, even when we treating to materials like Shiji or whatever.  They are all greatest and high recognised history books.  But they are not 100% perfect.  We need to understand what objective backgrounds and time conditions the authors situate behind.  And we shall always asking logical questions.
Third, if you do not accept this point, then why didn't you take into account the posted link of Wikipedia.  If you say "no, Wikipedia is not reliable and is a bad reference", then that meant you self-refute all those posts you quoted from Wikipedia in your previous messages.
Fourth, like in what your unsupported hard selling of LifungHua in the Lishimin (Xianbei blood carrier or not debate),  your group publicly refutes the theory of one of Chinese contemporary famous master in Chinese history, Mr. Chen Yin Ke. (interested parties can find his backgrounds and accomplishment in wikipedia or likewise).  It's just  an insult to the great Master by using as what you say "no legit supports".
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 14:34

I would not object it if you see you are one of the Pan-Hannish peoples, as I am not writing that sentence targetting on you.

i claimed things and provided references to back up my claims, thats all i did. anything relate to "Pan-hannism"? you mean like Li family have always regarded themselves as Chinese are "pan-hannism"? you mean no historical records whatsoever to suggest Liubang was defeated other than surrounded is "Pan-hannism"?

But they are not 100% perfect.  We need to understand what objective backgrounds and time conditions the authors situate behind.  And we shall always asking logical questions

sure, and your "logical assumptions" are more "perfect" than history records?

Fourth, like in what your unsupported hard selling of LifungHua in the Lishimin (Xianbei blood carrier or not debate),  your group publicly refutes the theory of one of Chinese contemporary famous master in Chinese history, Mr. Chen Yin Ke. (interested parties can find his backgrounds and accomplishment in wikipedia or likewise).  It's just  an insult to the great Master by using as what you say "no legit supports".

I already said enough and provided ample evidences and references regarding the issue.
I thank Siege Tower for giving his feedback on the issue. When it comes to integrity and sincerity of history, it surpass nationalism. Thats why Siege whos a Manchu wouldbe honest on the issue. Thats why i also countered arguments claiming Aguda was a "Korean", because such claims are simply not well-supported by history.

Thats why when i say Xianbei emperor Xiaowen of Northern Wei and Mongol emperor Kubilai of Yuan dynasty werent only "Chinese" emperors, but also were significant players in Chinese history.

But has it got anything to do with my argument that Li family have always regarded themselves as Chinese, or history records only support that Liubang was only surrounded but not defeated?

do i claim Liguangli was only surrounded but not defeated? because history records clearly recorded that hes defeated and surrendered.

whats with you? whos over-sensitive?

interested parties can find his backgrounds and accomplishment in wikipedia or likewise

So far its just a theory, ironically "theory" usually means not "100% perfect".
But vast achieves of Chinese history records do not conform a theory given by one man, just like no history records to validate(as its clearly noted by paraphrase in Hanshu)Huantan's "new theory" on "Chenping's stratagem" and the battle of Pingcheng. Thats the reason i didnt elaborate on the "story", because not only such plot is questionable to real historians, even the actual numbers the Han and Xiongnu deployed at Pingcheng is also under question by historians.

such "theories"(aka logical assumptions) only generate controversies, but they arent sufficient enough to actually rewrite history itself.

thats the reality whether one like it or not.

Edited by The Charioteer - 10-Apr-2008 at 16:36
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 00:30
guys just wondering, when did the Chinese create the stirrup for the saddle? what an innovation I must say, and it would probably given the Chinese side an advantage. 
Xianpei View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Xianpei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 03:09
To what I know and remembered, it was invented in about 3rd Century AD, the early period of Western Jin Dynasty.  But there are also people saying that it was invented by steppe peoples in the 3rd Century.
I also heard of saying that it was invented by Smartian in more earlier period, and they wandered and travelled to the Eurasian Steppe and brought to some other nomad tribes and brought into China.
These are what I know.  I  am not sure. So Julius Augustus you raised a question that I also wanted to ask.
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 05:09
I doubt it matters(power-wise) who created it first. In a period of one-hundred years the stirrup spread like wildfire, so the first inventor(wherever he/she's from) would have enjoyed the advantage for a limited amount of time, probably not long enough to pose a significant military change in history(in the term of power conflicts between other groups). But that's just my personal opinion. On things like this no one can be sure.
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 05:13

To what I know and remembered, it was invented in about 3rd Century AD, the early period of Western Jin Dynasty.  But there are also people saying that it was invented by steppe peoples in the 3rd Century.
I also heard of saying that it was invented by Smartian in more earlier period, and they wandered and travelled to the Eurasian Steppe and brought to some other nomad tribes and brought into China.
These are what I know.  I  am not sure. So Julius Augustus you raised a question that I also wanted to ask.

just call me Julius Xianpei, used this name because someone registered Julius already... LOL

didnt know an Iranian people could have invented the stirrup, samarthians, it always made me wonder what if all the tribes of Iran were one. it will never happen though.

I love how the Chinese invented a lot of innovations during the ancient world, song had muskets, water mills, clocks and etc, amazing...
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 05:45
Saddle and stirrups were not invented by Sarmatians.

Those innovations were first brought to Europe by Avars, who probably copied it from Rouran or Turks, who in their turn copied it from Chinese.

It gave Avars an enormouse advantage in Europe.
Σαυρομάτης
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 06:10
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Saddle and stirrups were not invented by Sarmatians.

Those innovations were first brought to Europe by Avars, who probably copied it from Rouran or Turks, who in their turn copied it from Chinese.

It gave Avars an enormouse advantage in Europe.

I stated could have, there are a lot of possibilities if their isnt a direct link to the possibility of its creation. same with Xianpei who stated a possibility and a few do share this as a possibility. though modern archaeologist date the first stirrup like innovation to the Indians.

Now with the statement that the Chinese invented the Saddle, this could be countered, the Assyrians of 8th century ad were using this innovation already, 200 years later the Scythians developed  improved it then the Samarthians.

the avars though had an advantage in cavalry warfare, their impatience led them to defeats to the byzantine empire.

Edited by Julius Augustus - 11-Apr-2008 at 06:16
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 19:26
well the point is, the iron stirrup was invented in 3 AD northern China but stirrups of wood or in the form of leather thongs were around before that.
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 01:15
correction, that's the earliest archealogical finding of Bonze stirrup, found in a tomb dated approximately  between Liaoning province and inner Mongolia, possibly owned by a Xianbei noble man named Feng SuFU冯素弗of Northern Yan dynasty.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 04:24

"冯跋,字文起,长乐信都人也,小字乞直伐,其先毕万之后也。万之子孙有食采冯乡者,因以氏焉。永嘉之乱,跋祖父和避地上党"

Feng sufu was brother of Fengba,who was the founder of Northern Yan regime(409-436AD) according to Jinshu(book of Jin)
Fengba's ancestor was Biwan.so Feng sufu was Chinese instead of Xianbei.

http://www.guoxue.com/shibu/24shi/jinshu/jinshu_125.htm

Feng Sufu's tomb was excavated in Liaoning province in 1965

The invention of stirrups however predates Northern Yan period.

A pottery figurine with a single stirrup was found in a Eastern Jin tomb(302AD) in Hunan province, a pottery horse with pair of stirrups was found in another Eastern Jin tomb(322AD-)at Nanjing(Jiangsu province).

http://www.godpp.gov.cn/wmzh/2007-09/19/content_11193311.htm

Its also reported that Xinjiang's Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology found a pair of stirrups in a tomb date to Han or Jin period.

http://www.gmw.cn/01gmrb/2004-03/27/content_8312.htm

correlating evidence is from murals of Western Han(202BC-8AD) tomb discovered at Xian in 2004, according to report by "Xian daily"

http://www.xawb.com/gb/rbpaper/2004-11/27/content_404257.htm

riders with stirrups are "clearly" depicted on the Western Han wall-paintings.

Edited by The Charioteer - 12-Apr-2008 at 04:35
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2008 at 21:45
Originally posted by Omnipotence

There were times when China wasn't successful against steppe armies, and there were times when they were successful. Generally, when at the height of their power, dynasties would have enough resources to launch periodic raids against steppe armies, and to forge alliances in order to keep nomads from uniting under one banner. Thus any strong tribe with the potential of turning the plains into a formidable fighting force would be elimitated by either the Chinese frontier armies or rivaling steppe alliances against these stronger tribes. However, when the times get tough, usually due to internal corruption, not only would the frontier armies degrade, but the steppe armies would be united into a powerful military machine, as in the case of Genghis Khan.

There were many occasions when China fought united Steppe empires. The Han against the Xiongnu, The Wei against the Rouran, the Zhou-Sui-Tang against the Tujue. The Ming against the Mongols. Although divide and rule is a common policy, it wasn't an unilateral action and often failed in the process. Direct miltiary campaign had to be applied, and usually weakening the nomads after a war of attrition.
China fared better for two reasons: its bureaucratic administration and its large population which gave it a larger resource base and better organization than Russia and Persia.
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2008 at 21:48
Originally posted by Seko

Kurt the boundaries of those nations mentioned were always in flux in the past. Which also means that various dynasties within China have been raided by and taken over by the steppers, and vica versa. Xiong nu, Hsienpi, Toba-Wei, etc., all have successfully invaded parts of China prior to the Kublai's reign.

A sidenote, none of the the regimes of the 16 dynasties were invaders. The Xiongnu and Xiang Bei were all regimes that  rebelled from within China. Thats why they all have the names of Chinese fiefs(such as Zhao, Yan, Wei...)

honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2008 at 21:52
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Weird, the Manchu army which invaded China in 1644 was nothing less than a "steppe army." In fact, Chinese army was dealing very ineffective against the Steppans. China was able to conquer other steppe people only with the hands of other steppe people. That was during the Tang conquest of the west, that was also during the Manchu Qing dinasty expansion to the west.

China was conquered by the steppe people many times before Mongols and Seko already mentioned Toba Wei and Jin dynasties actually there were also others.

Thats a big misconception. The Manchu army(and the Jurchens of the Jin) was not a steppe army at all. Manchus lived in forest lands and lived off of hunting and agricultural, not pasturalism. And they do not live on the steppe. In addition, they had a Chinese modeled bureaucracy that governed their state. Again, Toba Wei and all the other kingdoms of the post Western Jin period were all rebels within China, not invaders from outside.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>