Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chinese Military Conduct Against Steppe Armies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
redpk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote redpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chinese Military Conduct Against Steppe Armies
    Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 10:21
Oh,it's post 2 years ago,it's translated in Chinese forum.and I am intereted in this ,so I want to say something what I think about article.
History is something about time and countres.

Before 1949(or 1911),Monglia is in China,so in that time,we could say,China defeated all steppe armies .Huns,Turks was gone,Without the Soviet Union,Monglia would be gone too.

Russia finally defeated all steppe armies too,but after 1990,steppe countries like Kazakhstan be independent again.I have to say China do better in assimilate steppe state than Russia.But Russia more expansion.

seventhcavalry View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote seventhcavalry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 09:42
i'm a chinese !
-waiting for change-
Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 00:24
Originally posted by seventhcavalry

the chinese phalax can easily defeat the huns with their chu-ku-nu(type of cross bow that can shot ten arrows at a time!)
In a battle on January 23, 971, a mass of arrow fire from Song Dynasty crossbowmen decimated the war elephant corps of the Southern Han army. This defeat not only marked the eventual submission of the Southern Han to the Song Dynasty, but also the last instance where a war elephant corps was employed as a regular division within a Chinese army.
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 00:04
Originally posted by kurt

Of all the civilizations which had to deal with steppe armies, the Chinese produced the most effective resistance. Only Persia and Russia had to deal with steppe armies as long and as frequently as China had, yet China was only subjugated to steppe warriors once, in two successive conquests, the first of which was conducted by Genghis Khan against the northen dynasties and the second by Kublai Khan against the southern dynasties.

So I'm wondering, why were the Chinese so effective against what are generally regarded as some of the fiercest warriors of their time? Persian and Russian history was almost cyclic with nomadic subjugation, and the Indians were conquered a fair few times, yet the Chinese fell only once, and almost nobody had to deal with the steppe warriors for as long as they did.

Although I'm aware diplomatic and other measures were a pretty big part, I'd particularly like to learn about how they fought them militarily.
Well the Chinese have thousands of years of experience in kingdom building and kingdom management. Like the ancient Assyrians, they're not averse to grovelling with the barbarians and even paying them off to keep them at bay when necessary.

Just like the Assyrians paid the Cymmerians, and later their nemesis the Scythians, to be essentially their bodyuards, Tang China also dealt in the same way with the Uighurs of ancient Xinjiang when the latter was at the prime of their military power.

A Tang princess was even given away in marriage to a Uighur khagan to ensure his continued goodwill and friendship, thereby helping to fend off yet other barbarian tribes circling the peripheries of the Tang nation.

Edited by Shield-of-Dardania - 26-May-2010 at 00:10
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
seventhcavalry View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote seventhcavalry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2010 at 11:15

the chinese phalax can easily defeat the huns with their chu-ku-nu(type of cross bow that can shot ten arrows at a time!)

-waiting for change-
nomooon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote nomooon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 09:27
And comparing feats further:
Battle of Tours and Battle of Talas were fought at the same period, both against Muslim forces and outnumbered more than 2:1.  The Franks feared Muslim cavalry and had to hold on top of a forested mountain to win, using both factors to negate Muslim cavalry advantage; the Tang forces dared to come out in the open and battle with their equally powerful cavalry and even more deadly archery fire.  In the end even though Tang lost due to 1/3 of their force changed side and hit them in their back, but the amount of loss sustained by Abbasid suggest it would be a clear Tang victory just like previous engagements between Tang and Central Asian forces.  
nomooon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote nomooon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 09:11
Originally posted by honeybee

Originally posted by Omnipotence

I think I've went over this. When one is strong the other is weak. This has been repeated over and over in steppe/Chinese history. They cannot both be powerful at the same time merely because the powerful one always uses its resources to fracture the other one. When steppe armies are strong, Chinese states are weak and thus can be overran. When Chinese states are strong, steppe armies are weak and can thus be overran. There is no one-sided contest, but a tug of war that have only stopped recently. There is no quality over quantity argument, as steppe warfare emphasize speed. Speed, not population size, means the ability to have numerical superiority at places that matter. This is why northern Chinese armies were always crazy for horses, and why dynasties who let their horse population dwindle could only hold onto the South were steppe warfare would be unsuitable to the terrain. This isn't something I pulled out of thin air, this is said by Han dynasty bureaucrats themselves. Speed is the key to numerical superiority when in the plains. When the horse supply on both sides are great, generally the one who attacks would have numerical superiority. Rarely would a sane general attack when he knows he is outnumbered(there are exceptions such as Huo Qubing, Ban Chao or Esen Tayisi, but I'm not sure Huo Qubing was sane given the circumstances. But no matter, his thinking worked). The wise choose their battles.
Really, steppe empires can't compete with Plains empires if both were strong militarily, it has been the consistent pattern in history. The former simply lacks the resource to conduct a war of attrition. This is noted by a number of Mongols scholars such as Dardess as well as Inner Asian scholars such as Perdue. Dardess explained that the reason Kublai could overwhelm his brothers in Mongolia was precisely because he could utilize the resources of China, and the same reason explains why Kang Xi was able to defeat Galdan. The same is true of earlier states as well. In all of the instances where both sides where powerful militarily the empire centered in China won.

The Han overwhelmed the Xiongnu
The Wei overwhelmed the Rouran
The Zhou-Sui-Tang overwhelmed the Turks(and I'm not talking about a weakened Turkish empire)
The Qing overwhelmed the Sungars.

The above are all cases of dynamic expansionist states in both China and Mongolia confronting each other. The only exception might be the performances of the late Ming. But late Ming was neither dynamic nor expansionist and it still manage to hold its own against Altan Khan, eventually making the later a vassal.

You are right, military feats have little to do with culture and nothing to do with blood, but simple logistics, resources, and manpower and China outcompete the stepe in these areas.

I think you are right, China was more successful against steppe nomads simply because it was a really powerful state! 
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2010 at 22:52

I think I've went over this. When one is strong the other is weak. This has been repeated over and over in steppe/Chinese history. They cannot both be powerful at the same time merely because the powerful one always uses its resources to fracture the other one. When steppe armies are strong, Chinese states are weak and thus can be overran. When Chinese states are strong, steppe armies are weak and can thus be overran. There is no one-sided contest, but a tug of war that have only stopped recently. There is no quality over quantity argument, as steppe warfare emphasize speed. Speed, not population size, means the ability to have numerical superiority at places that matter. This is why northern Chinese armies were always crazy for horses, and why dynasties who let their horse population dwindle could only hold onto the South were steppe warfare would be unsuitable to the terrain. This isn't something I pulled out of thin air, this is said by Han dynasty bureaucrats themselves. Speed is the key to numerical superiority when in the plains. When the horse supply on both sides are great, generally the one who attacks would have numerical superiority. Rarely would a sane general attack when he knows he is outnumbered(there are exceptions such as Huo Qubing, Ban Chao or Esen Tayisi, but I'm not sure Huo Qubing was sane given the circumstances. But no matter, his thinking worked). The wise choose their battles.
Really, steppe empires can't compete with Plains empires if both were strong militarily, it has been the consistent pattern in history. The former simply lacks the resource to conduct a war of attrition. This is noted by a number of Mongols scholars such as Dardess as well as Inner Asian scholars such as Perdue. Dardess explained that the reason Kublai could overwhelm his brothers in Mongolia was precisely because he could utilize the resources of China, and the same reason explains why Kang Xi was able to defeat Galdan. The same is true of earlier states as well. In all of the instances where both sides where powerful militarily the empire centered in China won.

The Han overwhelmed the Xiongnu
The Wei overwhelmed the Rouran
The Zhou-Sui-Tang overwhelmed the Turks(and I'm not talking about a weakened Turkish empire)
The Qing overwhelmed the Sungars.

The above are all cases of dynamic expansionist states in both China and Mongolia confronting each other. The only exception might be the performances of the late Ming. But late Ming was neither dynamic nor expansionist and it still manage to hold its own against Altan Khan, eventually making the later a vassal.

You are right, military feats have little to do with culture and nothing to do with blood, but simple logistics, resources, and manpower and China outcompete the stepe in these areas.

Edited by honeybee - 08-May-2010 at 23:20
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2010 at 22:33

An interesting point, and the amount of horses do make a huge difference. The Han dynasty had 450,000 horses during the time of Wudi, which is a huge amount. I forget the exact number for the Tang, but it was also in the hundreds of thousands. The Song, on the other hand, used most of their pastureland for farming, and lacked horses, which could very well explain their early failures. Which may explain how the previous two dynasties did so much better militarily than the latter.

I also like point out that its precisely because of this great amount of horses that makes China "more successful" in expanding into nomadic territory as Peter Perdue noted. Contemporary Byzantine empire, with the most horses of any European state, only had around 250,000 horses at its height(Adshead, Tang China), while the Wei had 2 million and the Tang had over 700,000.
But ironically, the pastures for these horses was also the reason why northern China was overran more often than Western Europe was. 
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2010 at 21:49
"""I gave the example of these Manzhu emperors to show that they were very sinicized, yet they regarded themselves as Manzhu. """

You also realize that the Manchus called themselves Chinese as well do you not? The Manchu word for everyone in their state was "Dulimbai gurun i niyalma" and the Chinese word was "Zhongguoren" both literally mean "Chinese".

Edited by honeybee - 08-May-2010 at 22:06
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2010 at 20:36
""What I meant is that because of this Taizong was able to attract willing support of Turks who saw him as a person of "their own." Unfortunately for Tang dynasty later emperors lost that direct link to the hearts of the Nomades, which was one of the reason of the decline and fall of the dynasty."""

That claim is specious since ironically, the direct cause of the fall of Tang was the rebellion of Anlu shan, a half turk and half sogdian which the Tang gave too much power to.
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2010 at 20:29
Originally posted by Sarmat

Well. It's an interesting perspective Yin. But I didn't mean to say that Russians were somehow superior to Chinese. Smile

I was trying to say that it hardly could be the fact that the Chinese armies historically were "the most succesful" against the steppe armies compare to other armies that faced the steppe warfare in different historical periods.

Perhaps, the argument "who was the most succesful" deserves some more time and consideration. But as you pointed out, apparently, "the overall superior performance of Chinese armies" over the steppe warfare is a non-existent assumption.

But professional historians does not agree with you. China was more successful not only because of its larger resource base, but also because of its greater quantity of horses.

To quote Peter Perdue: "the Qing was even more successful than the Russians...Qing commanders made careful efforts to spare the local population the burdens of military supply, either by having soldiers carry their rations with them, or by giving them money to buy grain at market prices. The real victory of early Qign rulers was their ability to draw off the resources of a rapidly commercializing economy to serve national defense needs without inflicting excessive damage on the rural economy...Rations for Qing troops, by these measures seem small;...Mongolian and Manchu soldiers in the Chinese army could get a substantial caloric supply from steppe products like mare's milk, horse's blood, horsemeat, and marmots. Most important the enoumous grasslands of Mongolia were more than adequate to feed the Qing army's horses. ...In Western Europe seven acres of green fodder could feed one horse for a year, much like North China. In any case, the 1.5 million sq km of mongolian grasslands, which supported 1.15 million horses in 1918, could potentially provide grazing lands for a very large number of horses. Western Europe clearly had no such large pasture lands, and this was the major limitation on its armies's mobility. The Qing in these campaigns achieved an impressive and believable logistical triumph by combining careful exploitation of grassland resources with convoys shipped from the interior.”

Edited by honeybee - 08-May-2010 at 20:31
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2010 at 20:20

And please don't lie again after that that you "read everything" in this thread.

Here is my source again, that looks much more official than your "advanced"  Changcheng wenhua wang.

Here is just a random quote about "steppe cultures" and which people they included

进入青铜器时代后,草原文化逐渐转向以游牧业为经济基础。由此,在古代中国,形成了三大类型的经济文化区,即北方草原游牧经济文化区,秦岭、淮河以北的旱地农业经济文化区,秦岭、淮河以南的水田农业经济文化区。三大经济文化区的形成主要是自然地理环境造成的,同时也是民族历史文化发展的结果。草原文化在经历匈奴、鲜卑、突厥、契丹、蒙元、满清、现当代几个高峰期的发展以及与中原文化的长期碰撞交流、融合后,今天已经演变成为蒙古族文化为典型代表的、历史悠久、特色鲜明、内涵丰富的文化体系。这个体系已经融入中华文化的大体系之中,使中华文化成为一个包容工业、农耕、游牧、渔猎等生产方式在内的多元一体的文化体系。

My very rough translation into English.

With the coming of the Bronze Age, the steppe culture gradually shifted towards nomadic pastoralism as the economic base. In ancient China, three major types of economic and cultural areas, had been formed i.e. Northern Nomadic cultural and economic realm, dryland agriculture economic and cultural realm to the north from Qinling Mountains and Huaihe River, paddy fields economic and cultural realm to the south from Qinling Muntains and Huaihe river. These three  major economic and cultural realms naturally developed based on geographical environment, but at the same they are also the result of the development of the historical ethnic culture.  The steppe culture that had been going through Xiongnu, Xianbei, Turkic, Khitan, Yuan Mongols, Qing Manchu  periods as peaks of its development , as well as well as long times of collisions and integration with the Central Plains culture,  today evolved into a rich cultural system with ancient history and distinct features with Mongolian culture as a typical example of such. This system has been integrated into the Chinese cultural system, so that Chinese culture has become an all-inclusive multi-cultural system containing industrial, agricultural, nomadic, hunting and fishing and other ways of life (production).

Thats still no more official than Yan Cong Nian, a leading scholar of Qing, which I provided. You provided a general guideline from a government website and think its academical? Please.
And here are some more formal academic papers; to quote Elizabeth Endicott West's Imperial_Governance_in_Yuan_Times p.528: "The Jurchen people, although not a nomadic people as the Khitans and Mongols were, also made use of a deliberative assembly of military personnel in which not only generals but also common soldiers participated...the Tanguts, like the Jurchens were primarily a sedentary, not a nomadic people".

The Steppe region is grassland, Manchuria is mainly forest and mountains. Therefore, they are not of a steppe people. Thats simple geographics. Semi nomadic maybe, but you can argue parts of Chinese history as semi-nomadic as well. The fact is, their lifestyle were between those of steppe people and plains people and were more sedentary than nomadic. Therefore, they do not belong to the same category as the Mongols and other steppe people from Mongolia.  

I also don't want to bicker with this semantic issue any longer. But you need to know, whether or not the Manchus were originally steppe people is totally irrelevant to the fact that by 1635, they were not. They had a capital in Shenyang, with a palace, and became completely sedentary before they conquered China.

Edited by honeybee - 08-May-2010 at 22:41
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2010 at 20:00

Originally posted by honeybee

In case you haven't read my last post, “Mongol Russia” was referring to the entire Golden Horde, for the second time in two consecutive posts. And if that is still confusing to you, let me quote the exact passage for you from "Mongol Manpower and Persian Population" p. 278;  “The population of the Golden Horde numbered around 850,000, in addition to that, there were some 2,150,000 Russian subjects to the north...” So nice try with playing semantics. But because you never read the material, you still lost in the end. All you've succeeded in accomplishing is bore me with 4 misinterpreted redundant posts that never needed to appear if you simply humbly asked for the source.

I am very aware you repeated it several times and it bores me each time since you never explained what this imaginary territory of yours include that is beyond what I described. You didn't even know the existence of the Kirghiz steppe and its uninhabited environment, so where did you come up with the figure? And even now you still can’t provide a single source to back up your nonsense figure of 10s of millions of people. So let me ask you again, where did you get that source or do you just admit you don’t have one?

You're simply lying. I explained to you many times what are my "imaginary territories". And repeat again that Golden Horde included Crimea, Caucasus, and Central Asian territories which were more populous than the Russian lands. Russian territories formed only a smaller part of the Horde. I gave you the names and even referred you to the fact that it was Urgench in Central Asia that was the biggest city under the Hordes control. Lands that had been a part of the Horde and later became Astrakhan, Kazan Khantates never were historically Russian territories and were conquered by Moscow only in the 16th century and Crimean Khanate only in the 18th century. All of those had large populous cities Like Bulgar, Sarai, Sudak, Urgench etc. cities under Golden Horde control in Caucasus like Derbent were very ancient urban centers from the times BCE. And those lands were actually more developed and populated and much more important for the Horde that their vassal Russian states. That's why you can't calculate all the population of the lands under the Horde control only by referring only to the Russian principalities and nomadic Tatar population. It's incorrect. You still don't get it?

No offense, but you have a big mouth for someone who never even read the book and incredibly you even have the naiveness to tell me I'm lying when I own that book and its currently right in front of me now. And ironically you are using my own terminologies(Mongol Russia) against me? You are a joke buddy. If you think its lying, the solution is simple really, look it up in your own local library for the book. And I suggest any forum member here do that to see whether I'm lying, or you were simply a loser who can't come up with any better argument when you were proven wrong. The territory I spoke of includes the entire golden horde. The book estimated the population of the entire golden horde, its even listed under the subsection of the Golden horde. It even broke down the sedentary and steppe population of the horde and specifically stated that the steppe territory of the Golden Horde had 850,000. Face it you were wrong. The Golden horde had an inferior population as well as horse reserves than the hordes of Mongolia.
 And this is true for most of history I might add, which explains why nomadic invasions in the past always goes from east to west rather than the other way around, starting from the Hunnic invasions, to the Avars, Gokturks, Mgyars, and Mongols.

Perhaps, you forget that the whole argument started when I gave you reference to the data from the book of the Russian historian, Vernadsky, according to whom the population of the Horde was close to 10 million. Then you question was, where were all these people when as you "knew" the Golden Horde just included some scarcely populated Russian territories and almost uninhabitted Kyrgyz Steppe. I explained to you where exactly those urban centers were. And now you're pretending that you don't understand what is going on.

Nice attempt at shifting grounds. You forgot that you originally claimed that the Golden Horde had "tens of millions" of people. And then you tried revising it by lowering it to 10 million.
But Vernadsky never gave the figure of 10 million, so stop putting words in his mouth. You are the one who derived that number from your unprofessional and utterly asinine assumption that each Mongol household has 20 people.(in fact average households anywhere at this time was only 5) I on the other hand, have a direct reference to the total population of the Golden horde, which was given at 3.5 million at the turn of the 14th century. 

Edited by honeybee - 08-May-2010 at 22:47
nomooon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote nomooon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2009 at 09:04
Wow and on looking back on the thread seeing all the arguments, hahahaha, dam so much sources
Overall I dont think China is that successful against nomads, everytime the dynasty shifts from "Northern" to "Southern" or "Western" to "Eastern", those are because of these nomads' fault, and imagine what if all these crazy nomads went to hunt MidEast or European Civs instead.  The truth is no civilization can withstand a constant barrage from freakin nomads around it all the time, just look at Europe, steppe nomads show up once or twice and Europe trembled each time, haha, imagine these steppe nomads living next to them...
nomooon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote nomooon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2009 at 08:52
It is all about the cavalry!  Chinese Liao cavalry could beat Jurchen horsemen despite a crazy numerical disadvantage!

On a side note, Chinese tactically bested Steppe horsemen with only infantry several times, I can count three, they are Li Lin of Han Dynasty, Ran Min of "Five Barbarian Incursion", and Yue Fei of Song Dynasty.
cliveersknell View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote cliveersknell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2009 at 07:35
The best example is the campaign of the Ming against the Northern Yuan
1. It took 200 years ending with Ming defeat and concession .
2. Emperors Zhu Yuanzhang and Zhu di had 9 campaigns with mixed results.
3. The climax occured in 1449 , when a Ming army of 500,000 was totally wiped out by the Oirads at Tumu, led by Yesen Hongtaiji. Yesen tried to take Beijing , but was repulsed .
4. After 1449 , no expeditions were launched by the Ming, instead the Ming started fortifying the great wall around badaling. Most of the wall you see today were built during this period.
5. Altan Khan of the Tumaat, united Mongolia and asked the Ming emperor to form a confederation.
6. The Ming emperor Jiajing killed the mongol envoys and Altan led a great raid from Datong all the way to the walls of Beijing, the Ming emperor then decided to give in and open the border markets and granted Altan a title of wang.

True, the Ming had superior firepower, artillery and some muskets, but they committed two major mistakes:
1. They always followed the same route north ( the mongols took note of this thru their spies)
2. They never paid serious attention to building supply depots along the route and hence had an immense logistical problem and nightmare. Zhu di and Zhu yuanzhang were great generals, but in many cases they had to withdraw because of a shortage of supplies. In his last campaign, Zhu di
's army was almost wiped out by cholera , he too succumbed to cholera and died in Beijing.
3. The Mongols used  the concept of people's war to the fullest, they treated the ming army like a wild beast to be hunted down, made it move where they wanted it to move, at the same time attacking the weakly guarded supply trains from the south. Eventually trapping the army in a place of their ( mongol) choosing, and wipe it out. Every mongol nomad was a warrior, and everyone kept a close tab on the approaching Ming army.
4. In many battles, the mongols love to use psychological warfare, they would purposely give way to strong onslaught, then regroup and hit suddenly , creating a confusion inthe enemy's ranks, then the whistling arrows would be fired, and the 2nd mongol force would come in and hit the ming army in it's state of confusion and wipe it out.
5. The ming generals and emperors, with the exception of zhu di and his father, were rigid, tunnel visioned , and face saving. In one instance , agains the ming general Qiu Fu, the mongols were on the losing end, the ming artillery and bowmen decimated 50% of their cavalry around the flanks, but a strong reserve was kept behind, the Khan noted from his scouts that the center was weakly guarded, he then led a bold strike on the center and captured the Ming standard, the Ming panicked, and Qiu Fu pulled back his forces from the wings to regain the standard, this was when the mongol reserve attacked and the battle was turned 180 degrees , resulting in a massive Ming defeat. 80,000 mongols defeated 340,000 ming troops.
r's
clive

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2009 at 18:50
Originally posted by Yin

To this end, things like Catherine the Great being German probably did get used as evidence that Russians were inferior to Germans - the Nazis, for example, believed whole-heartedly that the Nordic Aryan was a master race by virtue of having produced so many great men, whereas the Slavs were an inferior, slave race that the Germans could "justifiably" exploit.

Yeah, in fact Nazis did like to speculate with the fact that Catherine was German. But it didn't change anything for them in the end it were Russians who conquered Berlin, not Germans who conquered Moscow. So, that even Hitler seeing the collapse of his "Aryan master race" myth had to come up with another crazy idea saying that "the German nation is weak."

Originally posted by Yin

Towards this end, you have to understand why the Chinese are protective of their history. It's not so much that the facts are offensive, but that the insinuations can be. Somebody always finds a way to argue, through history, that some group is superior/inferior and that's why people are so attentive to historical revisionism. Unfortunately, people do still view others in terms of their group identity, so anything that detracts from one group's identity is inevitably going to be intensely (and perhaps unfairly) scrutinized and criticized by that group. It's a form of self-defense, in some sense, though one could hope that in the end, the facts, and only the facts, would triumph. One could also hope that evidence of the multi-ethnic and interconnected nature of human history would bring us closer together, rather than drive us further apart... But maybe that's too much to hope for.

Everything depends on education and personal views of a particular person. I, for example, don't see any problems in the fact that Russia was ruled by people from different ethnic backrounds, I would rather be proud of their contribution to the Russian history and diversity of the Russian ethnos.

However, if a person is raised and educated in strict categories like "of our own" - "not of our own," 'us - they," "inferioir"-"superior" etc. there always will be a room for baseless speculations and ethnic complexes.
Σαυρομάτης
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2009 at 08:59
It's also obvious from the Gok-Turks inscriptions that Taizong was viewed as being in a totally separate category compare to later Tang emperors and I believe only he enjoyed the title of "kagan"

I've been reading up on old posts and I can't help but be nitpicky about this. I would like to mention that later Tang emperors were also called the "heavenly khagan", BUT it is true that this position gradually lost power over the generation of emperors, until the title was just something that sounded good to the ear but had no real power.

In fact, Tang Taizong wasn't even the first Chinese emperor to be labeled as "khagan". Both Sui Wendi and Sui Yangdi received the title of "khagan" from the Gokturks and Western Turks respectively, although I don't believe these titles contained as much power as Tang Taizong's "heavenly khagan".

Edited by Omnipotence - 18-Jun-2009 at 09:04
Yin View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Yin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 22:00
Originally posted by calvo

From the little Chinese history that I read (and learned from this forum), Li Yuan, the founder of the Tang, was of Sinicised Xianbei stock.

You have to remember that the Sui and Tang dynasties were born directly after the age of barbarian invasions and great fragmentation (somewhat comparable to what happened in the same period in Europe); and during that time the Han Chinese were heavily mixed with Xianbei (proto-Mongol), Xiongnu (Hun), Tocharian, and Xiang (Tibetan) peoples; and ethnic boundaries might not have been clear.
Many so-called "Han Chinese" might have lived under heavy steppe influence, and other people of barbarian descent could have lived under heavy Han influence.

Therefore, putting nationalists sentiments aside, praising a "mestizo" Chinese emperor for his accomplishments against steppe nations isn't necesarrily belittling the Chinese nation.

In the same way, by attributing Catherine the Great's German background in her imperial conquests isn't necessarily stating that Russians are inferior to Germans.

Ah, but that is exactly what the age of ethno-nationalism (which we have yet to really move beyond) is all about: the concept of "blood" and "genetic ancestry" associated with notions of superiority and/or inferiority. To be sure, this sort of thinking has always been a part of human nature ("he is of noble blood," etc.), but it has become especially relevant in the age of ethno-national states due to the ideological substitution of class by ethnicity. Whereas before, the rulers of a state might consider themselves superior by blood to the commoners, now that privilege is extended to the entire nation - but not to other nations - and that's why we have the controversies that we do over ethinc history, today.

To this end, things like Catherine the Great being German probably did get used as evidence that Russians were inferior to Germans - the Nazis, for example, believed whole-heartedly that the Nordic Aryan was a master race by virtue of having produced so many great men, whereas the Slavs were an inferior, slave race that the Germans could "justifiably" exploit. One would like to think we're over all that, today, but this is not so; that's the point of my earlier post - you might not think you're denigrating the Chinese nation by alleging that the great Tang emperor was Xianbei, but people inevitably do interpret it in such a fashion, as a cursory glance around the web can tell you. So-called "Altaic" netizens (really Koreans, Turks, and Mongolians), in particular, love to use such arguments to denigrate Chinese.

Towards this end, you have to understand why the Chinese are protective of their history. It's not so much that the facts are offensive, but that the insinuations can be. Somebody always finds a way to argue, through history, that some group is superior/inferior and that's why people are so attentive to historical revisionism. Unfortunately, people do still view others in terms of their group identity, so anything that detracts from one group's identity is inevitably going to be intensely (and perhaps unfairly) scrutinized and criticized by that group. It's a form of self-defense, in some sense, though one could hope that in the end, the facts, and only the facts, would triumph. One could also hope that evidence of the multi-ethnic and interconnected nature of human history would bring us closer together, rather than drive us further apart... But maybe that's too much to hope for.

Edited by Yin - 12-Jun-2009 at 22:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>