Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Latin Americans?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Latin Americans?
    Posted: 21-Apr-2009 at 09:33
Originally posted by calvo

Originally posted by pebbles

If " Omar " is your real given name,you probably have N African Moor-Arab ancestry not native Celtic stock of Iberia peninsula LOL.

Many Spanish names have Islamic origin, such as "Ismael".The surname "Álvarez", "Andujar" "Arias" are also of Arabic origin. The Moors had been here for 8 centuries and are an integral part of the formation of Spanish identity.

Most Spanish historians (except those of the Far Right like Cesar Vidal and Pio Mola); acknowledge that the Moors had a much greater cultural impact in the Iberian peninsula than the Celts or the Visigoths; probably the second most important after the Latin Romans.

Is it fair to say moderd day Spaniards ( exclude Latino population in the Americas ) has close to 20% northern African genetic component,same percentage for Portuguese as well ?

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2009 at 10:05

Is it fair to say moderd day Spaniards ( exclude Latino population in the Americas ) has close to 20% northern African genetic component,same percentage for Portuguese as well ?

I don't know, and nobody knows the exact percentage, and different studies have come up with different results: ranging from 3% to 30%.
The case is that the differentiation between North African and southern European genes is very complex. As far as prehistoric times populations had migrated and interbred across the Mediterranean. There's even a theory that the so-called "Iberians", the natives of southern and south-eastern Iberia, were of North African origin. Other sources suggest Middle-Eastern or native origin.
Again, there are other theories that North Africans owe a great deal of ancestry to southern Europeans who had "crossed the strait" at prehistoric times... nobody knows for sure.

What's important is that the Moors certainly did leave a great cultural impact in Spain and Portugal, especially in Andalusía where they founded one of the most advanced civlizations at the time. Spanish architecture owes a great deal to Moorish influence, and there are 4000-5000 Spanish words of Arabic origin.

The sad case is that Spain underwent an "Inquisition" that either expelled or forcibly converted the Muslims and Jews to Catholism; and Spanish society and politics over the recent centuries had been heavily controlled by the Catholic clergy.
Much of the Catholic clergy's propaganda was to "play down" the Islamic and Jewish heritage and impose Catholism as the one and only state religion.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2009 at 13:07

[
 Americans very liberal minded,not only accept Hispanics' Euro-Latin ancestry but also knowledge their prevalent Amerindian heritage !

If " Omar " is your real given name,you probably have N African Moor-Arab ancestry not of Celtic stock of Iberia peninsula LOL.

Don't be silly. I am called "Omar" simply because my mom liked Omar Shariff and my father admired phylosopher and mathematician Omar Kayyam.
My full name, if you care, is Omar Ernesto Vega Martinez. And I trace my roots from both branches directly to Spain, like most people here do.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2009 at 13:10

So, are you trying to exclude Iberia from the West now, because it has some Maghrebian, Jewish and Middle Eastern ancestry? Confused

Just found out how much mongolian admixture Northern and Eastern Europe has as well, and exclude them, too Ouch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456