Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Latin Americans?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Latin Americans?
    Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 00:44
Originally posted by Ikki

You are so confused with me, opposite to Latinamerica where despective nickname in reference to spanish people are common, sudaka is only used by a small racist minority. I'm not of that minority.

I understand and thanks you for your attitude. However, "sudaca" has become very popular in here. It has become a synonim of the way Spain see us.

Of course, i forget the divine destiny of latinos, that people sooo different from everybody, anybody can't talk about they, if we are in a world of information and where the people travel all around the world, don't matter, latino is the deepest mistery of Humanity. Please pinguin...

LOL.... At least we try.

Spaniards blond blue eyed?? Are you confused with actress of latino telenovelas?

I was pulling your leg. You have asserted several times that Spaniards are of a different "race" than Latinos. Well, if you say that to me (or any Latino) you will have to stand the jokes that follow. LOL

Pinguin, try to deny the racist problem of Latinoamrica and the huge difference between races, with the amerindians in all the lowest echelons of the society... No worst blind that who don't want to see.

In Chile we don't have a racial problem with locals (with foreigners any thing could happens, though). In the case of other countries you have to study theirs situations one by  one. In other terms, you can't compare the situation of Cuba with Chile, because the founding "races" are different. You can't compare Argentina and Bolivia either. The only rational and fair way to study racism in Latin America is COUNTRY by COUNTRY, without generalizing it.

Trolling i? Trolling you my fellow, worst, you are closing the xenophoby here. The last time that i repeat this to you: we are not talking about Spain, or what is Spain, or what think latinos about Spain and the spanish. I'm talking about the upper class minority based on white-spaniard ancestry, if this is not well seen by latinos is irrelevant, the crucial point here is that this minority organize the society according with racial-groupal factors: you only need to see the politicians of these countries across two centuries and the unjust acces to the richness and opportunities of the societies.

I have a very rich friend of mine of Italian ancestry, that studied in the most exclusive schools of Santiago and is a manager in a large industry here. Well, he is married with an equally rich Mapuche lady, and both belong to the upper class.

Theirs kids perhaps discriminate some of the kids of my lower middle class German-descendent friends, because they are poor.

In short. What we are talking about? Your theory (invented by marxists) don't stand, at least in Chile. In Bolivia is another thing.

What the hell pinguin, YOU, in a debate about Latinamerica have attacked present Spain several times when was so much easy to close the discussion only to latinamerican questions...

OK. You just realize what does mean our love-hate relation with Spain Wink

Ah well, at the end you talk about concrete questions. Now show us those studies about the genetic of Latinamerica.

Better. I will give you a site where all these studies are together. Is an American Mulatto-Centric group with an agenda, but at least theirs data is quite accurate and up-to-date.

Look for this page there, with studies on admixtures, all around the world. The studies in Latin America are particularly attractive. Some conclusions are not reliable, but most are.

Oh my God pinguin, do you really believe all those tones of victimism???  

Of course. Remember that I lived the dictatorship of Pinochet, inspired by Nixon. Wink
We don't feel victims or want to be perceived with compassion. But deep in the psique of Latinos, there is the idea one day we will take revenge, showing our former oppresors, peacefully, we are better than them.

Of course, if i use genetic studies is a nazi argument, if you use it you preserve the misterious essence of latinoamerican people, who anybody can understand.

LOL

Explain me carefully this phrase:

We preffer to be called by the name of the country we where born. For instance, I am not white or Latino. I am CHILEAN, and that's all that counts to me. The rest is baloney. 

Latino in this sentence is included in the baloney; now you say that you have not say that, i understand that latino is out of baloney. Chose option A or B, please.

I don't know why is so difficult to explain the ambiguities of our identity.

(1) Q: Are we Indians or white? A: we are both Indian AND White at the same time, but some are Mulattoes, other Sambos, other tri-Racials and some are not of the Above LOL

(2) Q: Are you Latinos? Well, Yes and No. We have a double identity. Our country comes first. Only abroad or when we pull effort together against third parties, we assume a common Latino identity, which is the average of all National Identities.

(3) Q: Why mestizos hate to be called Indians? A: because they identify as persons belonging to theirs countries. You better call them Argentinean, Peruvians, Chilean or Cuban, rather than Indians. If the person is an ethnic Indian (belongs to a tribe) don't call he/she Indian but use the name of the tribe: Quechua, Guarany, Mapuche, etc. Just a matter of common sense or good manners that Latinos expect.

It is weird, isn't? That happened when a country like Spain create a continent of bastards like we are. At the end we don't know if we are daddy's or mommy's children LOL

Only two options are possible in a man who say that latinos don't care about race: Lie or Ignorance. I know that you are very intelligent, you have proved thousand times, so you only could be liying.

Once again, it depends. Some groups of Latinos, for instace, intermarry freely with Amerindians. Whites and Amerindians belong to the same group, that carry the label of theirs country. Well, some of those groups are furiosly racists agains Blacks!

So, they are racists with some and not racists with others. Get the idea why is so difficult to say anything in general about Latin America?

Other example. Most of South American Nazis are mestizos. Even more, Chilean nazis believe the superior race is .... mixed LOL

Are you getting crazy already?

Thanks very much, now i have another direct experience in the political view of latinoamericans about Latinamerica.

You are welcome. My pleasure. 

Edited by pinguin - 28-Feb-2008 at 00:49
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 17:02
OK pinguin, althought i don't share some questions, i understand your point of view and agree now with other several points. Sorry if i am annoying sometimes, salud Thumbs%20Up
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 23:45

OK pinguin, althought i don't share some questions, i understand your point of view and agree now with other several points. Sorry if i am annoying sometimes, salud Thumbs%20Up

That's ok. I am sorry you left the argument LOL
By the way, did you visit the "onedroprule" forum to see the genetical studies on admixture? If so, it is the picture clear by now?

Regards
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 08:27

Latin-Americans are a sooooo much worried about race and what is worst, they don't recognize it:

Most of they don't agree about the Amerindians features of their people; like said the guy of the first message if you talk with one Latin-American with Indian features and they are at least 50% ( mestizos+Amerindians ), they take like an offense that you note these features and is a common, massive perception. They are White or Latin but have not indian features.

I can only write from my experiences with Mexican-American population in California.I always got the impression that they don't like to knowledge " Ameridian side " of their family ancestry openly.

Hello,we do know you guys are a mixture of Spanish & Americas' indigenous peoples.

I also have met a couple " very native-looking " short-statued California born Mexicans often spoke to me as if they're " Spanish descendants Confused " LOL.They have physical build & facial appearance identical to typical full-blooded Aztec or Mayan.I thought their behavior  was little odd.Hello,it was the Spanish Conquistadors Ouch screwed your ancestors & robbed your land.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 11:32
They are Spanish descendents. The aspect doesn't matter. If a Spaniard married an Amerindian woman and his son married another Amerindian woman you will have greatsons that will look almost full Amerindian, speaking Spanish like the grandfather.

What you guys don't understand is that MOST Amerindian people allied with Spaniards! A few heroic Amerindian groups resisted the European invasion fully, but they were more the exception than the rule. Spaniards and Amerindian mixed between themselves, and also with immigrants comming from all over the world.

And what you don't know, either, is that the Hispanic society was founded by Iberian males and Amerindian females, no matter was a exact copy of the Spanish Catholic society.

Appartheid was the mentality impossed by Anglosaxons in North America. In Latin America, racial barriers are more fluid. So, it is not strange here than descendents of German settlers and Amerindians share the same Hispanic culture are they are also relatives!! Goddess!

Edited by pinguin - 04-Mar-2009 at 11:33
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 13:12
Originally posted by pinguin

They are Spanish descendents. The aspect doesn't matter. If a Spaniard married an Amerindian woman and his son married another Amerindian woman you will have greatsons that will look almost full Amerindian, speaking Spanish like the grandfather.

In some Latin American societies,many indigenous people were classified as " mestizos " if they spoke Spanish or lived as " mestizos ".

In the USA,it's genetically proven that 30%-35% of Black-American population have " white forefathers or genes ".But,they're not classified as Whites tho.For example,known offsprings of 1/4 black slave girl Sally Hemmings ( rumoured Thomas Jefferson fathered several mulatto children with her ) are Blacks not Anglo descendants.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 13:56
Originally posted by pebbles

In some Latin American societies,many indigenous people were classified as " mestizos " if they spoke Spanish or lived as " mestizos ".

Wrong again. Is not the people who is called "mestizo", it is the society which is mixed. A small difference you have to understand to talk properly about the topic

In the USA,it's genetically proven that 30%-35% of Black-American population have " white forefathers or genes ".But,they're not classified as Whites tho.For example,known offsprings of 1/4 black slave girl Sally Hemmings ( rumoured Thomas Jefferson fathered several mulatto children with her ) are Blacks not Anglo descendants.

That's irrelevant. So, you want to learn about how Latin Americans see themselves? Or do you want to teach how they should?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 19:46

During the colonial period ethnicity was a social/juridical definition much more than an ethnical one. If a completely white Spaniard would go living in an indigenous community he would officialy become an indian, while an indian who would go to live in the city would be classified as mestizo, even if he was of purely indigenous heritage.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 21:20
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

During the colonial period ethnicity was a social/juridical definition much more than an ethnical one.

If a completely white Spaniard would go living in an indigenous community he would officialy become an indian, while an indian who would go to live in the city would be classified as mestizo, even if he was of purely indigenous heritage.

This really translates to a percentage of today's so-called " mestizos " are actually of indigenous origin not Spanish heritage at all.A few of them might have little admixture due to one or two intermarriages along the way in modern time.I read some of them under the social pressure to adopt Spanish surnames and culture to avoid discrimination.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2009 at 12:35

This really translates to a percentage of today's so-called " mestizos " are actually of indigenous origin not Spanish heritage at all.A few of them might have little admixture due to one or two intermarriages along the way in modern time.I read some of them under the social pressure to adopt Spanish surnames and culture to avoid discrimination.

Again. Translating American racial codes into Latin Americans Shocked

What do you mean by Spanish heritage? Do you mean genetics or culture? In both cases most of Latin Americans do have that Iberian heritage.
In Mexico, that's probably the only Latinos you have met, the admixture is 50/50 Amerindian European. Of couse you will find them many people that is highly indigenous in genetics but not necesarily Amerindian in culture. Admixtures in Latin America happened hundreds of years ago.

The obsesion of some Americans for wipe away the Spanish heritage of ALL Latin Americans just don't match historical reality.
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2009 at 15:31
I've been reading this book called 1491 and its great for anyone curious about pre-Columbian history. In one chapter I read the author explained that when he was visiting Bolivia, from the plane he coulds see ancient irrigation more advanced that Europe's at the time. There is also a story of the fabric that the Inca used as armor was so tight that it resembled kevlar and some Spaniards opted to wear it instead of their heavy steel armor.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2009 at 16:47
The thing about the armor, if I am not wrong, was a discovery Spaniards made in Mexico where they, in fact, changed theirs armor for native protections.
The irrigation systems in the Inca empire and previous civilizations were very advanced, indeed. Among the Nazca (famous because the Nazca lines), it was common to build stone underground aqueducts, and they are still in use today.
Another example is the method of irrigation drop by drop, which seems to be very modern but it is not. Ancient people used pottery made of a ceramic that leaked, to achieve the same effect. They fill the pots with water and buried close to the plants and the water leaked from them irrigating the plants little by little.

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 10:33
Latin America is a product of a recent mixture of different peoples from Europe (especially Spain and Portugal), native American, and African slaves.
The composition of every country is different, and so are their perceived identities.

The ethnic classification of "Mestizo", "Indigenous", and "European" are more cultural than genetic. In most countries, an "indigena" refers strictly to individuals who keep up with indigenous traditions; such as speak a native language or belong to a specific tribe.
The word "Mestizo" originally means mixed-blood, but nowadays it can refer to anyone who is part of the mainstream Spanish-speaking culture. He could be a full-blooded Indian assimilated into Hispanic customs, or equally a descendant of Galician immigrants or Civil War exiles from Spain.

regarding genetic heritage, every country is different. In Argentina most people are of Spanish, Italian, and other European descent with a small degree of Amerindian mixture; most Colombians and Venezuelans are a mixture of Spanish, Indians, and a small admixture of Africans. Cubans and Venezuelans are mixed Spanish and African; while Puerto Ricans are predominantly Spanish descent with a smaller degree of African and Taino Indian ancestry and so on....

regarding perceived identities, in Mexico, for example, where there were very advanced native civilizations; most Mexicans tend to identify (at least politically) with the indigenous civilizations and distance themselves from the Spaniards. Puerto Ricans and Cubans, for example, look at Spain as the "motherland" and do consider themselves as Spanish offshoots.

However, the colonial legacy has left such an impact that generally speaking, the higher is one's social class, the greater percentage of Spanish ancestry he has; even in anti-Spanish countries such as Mexico.
Most upper class Latin Americans are of predominantly Spanish descent, while the poorer people generally have greater Amerindian ancestry, but the cutting point isn't black and white like in the USA. Due to this social stratification, many Latin Americans have the concept that "the whiter you are, the more superior you are".

I've heard many Peruvian and Ecuadorean women living in Spain who would only date Spanish men because they want to "improve the race of their offspring".
Most of these comments sound rather shocking to Spaniards and most Europeans in general.

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 11:47
Originally posted by calvo

The word "Mestizo" originally means mixed-blood, but nowadays it can refer to anyone who is part of the mainstream Spanish-speaking culture.

Regarding perceived identities, in Mexico, for example, where there were very advanced native civilizations; most Mexicans tend to identify ( at least politically ) with the indigenous civilizations and distance themselves from the Spaniards.

I now have clearer view of " Mestizos " definition.

We're taught about great Aztec & Maya civilizations of Mexico at American schools ( usually begins in junior high ).I thought at least for families who are truly of Aztec & Mayan origins or do have some " Amerindian " heritage for being of mixed blood would be proud of their  indigenous forebears' past accompliments openly.At the same time,they can be culturally attach to Spain.2 California born " short-statued indigenous looking " Mexican-Americans aforementioned,they identified more with Spain at least when talking to me.I thought Mexicans of indigenous origin are free of prejudice to knowledge their Aztec or Maya ancestors in America ( just maybe,they still feel the social stigma for being non-Spanish or not having little White-European blood ),because they are all " Mexicans " to us and no one really cares if one is of Spanish or mixed blood or indigenous.I guess it would take some pychological balance on part of individuals.

In America,very few to none have negative feelings toward  indigenous peoples of Latin America.For native tribes here,it's a different story because of America's colonial history.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 11:51
There is not that much colonial heritage left after 200 years of independent living. What Europeans and other miss is that massive European waves happens AFTER Independence. In same cases they were encouraged to promote the "whitening" of the populations. There you can find the origins of the desire to "improve the race" of the offsprings. 
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 11:59

What Europeans and other miss is that massive European waves happens AFTER Independence.In same cases they were encouraged to promote the "whitening" of the populations.

Would you chronologize immigration waves from Spain & European nations between 1800-1950 for us.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 11:59

I now have clearer view of " Mestizos " definition.

We're taught about great Aztec & Maya civilizations of Mexico at American schools ( usually begins in junior high ).I thought at least for families who are truly of Aztec & Mayan origins or do have some " Amerindian " heritage for being of mixed blood would be proud of their  indigenous forebears' past accompliments openly.At the same time,they can be culturally attach to Spain.2 California born " short-statued indigenous looking " Mexican-Americans aforementioned,they identified more with Spain at least when talking to me.I thought Mexicans of indigenous origin are free of prejudice to knowledge their Aztec or Maya ancestors in America ( just maybe,they still feel the social stigma for being non-Spanish or not having little White-European blood ),because they are all " Mexicans " to us and no one really cares if one is of Spanish or mixed blood or indigenous.I guess it would take some pychological balance on part of individuals.

In America,very few to none have negative feelings toward  indigenous peoples of Latin America.For native tribes here,it's a different story because of America's colonial history. 

You have to realize something. A Latin American who doesn't speak a native language and doesn't belong to an Amerindian tribe, and lacks a territory, is not indigenous; independently from genetics.

That doesn't mean people is not proud of the achievements of the first nations of theirs countries. Most of us we are. Ask any Peruvian about the Incas, Mexican about the Aztecs or Dominicans about the Tainos and they will have lot to tell you. Even myself, ask me about the native of my country and I will tell you.

Is not a problem of shame or anything else. It is just that if you ask what is our culture, the logical answer is Iberian. If you ask what is the heritage of our country, we will mention the indigenous people. And if you ask about our genetics we will tell you the origin of our ancestors. These are three different things that not necesarily are identicall for all Latin Americans.

With respect to "Mestizo" it means Euroindigenous admixture in ANY degree. It is usually applied to countries rather than individuals and to the process of admixture between natives and Europeans. Africans are other history and the names mulatto and sambo are used for the mixtures between European-Africans and Afro-Indigenous peoples.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 12:03

Would you chronologize immigration waves from Spain & European nations between 1800-1950 for us.

I don't have the details, and vary amoung countries. However, most whites in Cuba came at that period. Brazil passed from being a country highly mestizo and mulato to have half its population of European origin. In Argentina, a third of the population at 1900 was foreign.
I know that for every European that arrived to the states, other went somewhere to Latin America. That's the scale of immigrantion that existed.

If I found a full analisis I post it.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 12:43

I don't have the details,and vary among countries.

However,most Whites in Cuba came at that period. Brazil passed from being a country highly mestizo and mulato to have half its population of European origin. In Argentina, a third of the population in 1900 was foreign.

I know that for every European that arrived in the States,other went somewhere to Latin America.That's the scale of immigrantion that existed.

If I find a full analysis,I post it.

Please do,so readers of this thread can have a broader understanding of Latin American populations in terms of ethnic make-up.

A silly question,can Latin-Americans distinguish between themselves by looks or judge by regional accent.I was told by one American-born Swede girl that Europeans general can amongst themselves,most of them do know who's who.

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 13:02
Regarding Spanish migration to Latin America, I don't have the clear details. All I know is that at the turn of the 19th-20th century, a large number of emigrants emigrated from Galicia (the north-western corner of the Iberian Peninsula, north of Portugal) to the Americas. Most of them settled in Cuba, Puerto Rico, Argentina, and Uruguay, and to a lesser extent in Venezuela.
Galicia is by itself a region with its own cultural identity. Galician language is a dialect of Portuguese, and Galician surnames are very distinct from typical Spanish surnames.
Galician immigration had such an impact on the population of the Carribean and southern cone countries that Galician surnames are far more common there than here is Spain. For example, "Castro" is a very typical Galician surname. 
After that, during the Spanish Civil War (1936-39), many republican refugees were taken in by Mexico; especially artists, intellectuals, and other highly educated and liberal-minded people.

Throughout most of the 20th century, Spain was a relatively underdeveloped country living under a dictatorship, so many Spaniards emigrated to Argentina, Venezuela, and other countries where they could make a better living. Many Latin Americans resident in Spain today have Spanish passports inherited from their parents, grandparents, or even great-grandparents.

Apart from Spain, Italy was also a main source of emigrants to Latin America. In the early 20th century, large waves of emigrants left Genoa, Naples, and Sicily to settle in Argentina, Uruguay, and Brasil. roughly 1/3 of Argentines and 1/4 of Brasilians are of Italian descent (wholly or partially).
Brasil and Argentina also absorbed emigrants from Germany, Eastern Europe, Lebanon, Syria, and Japan.
The bulk of these immigrants, Spanish or non-Spanish, were absorbed into the "mestizo" population.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>