Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Native Americans on all empires???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Native Americans on all empires???
    Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 05:53
Really? Hmmm...do they have anything to prove what they are? I know in Canada we have a card, and/or papers to prove that we are First Nations.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 08:22
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Really? Hmmm...do they have anything to prove what they are? I know in Canada we have a card, and/or papers to prove that we are First Nations.

Well, I was talking about the average 'White' American, not people who belongs legally to a tribe and who is recognized by the state as Indigenous Peoples.

Across the Americas, in the 'mainstream' there are lot of people that have indigenous ancestors but that they were forgotten, and many times in the past they were intentionally hidden. That has changed. Today most people realize to have aboriguinal ancestry, no matter how small the percentage could be, it is an honour.

Regards,

Omar Vega (Alias Pinguin)
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 09:23

Still, does the USA have documents for the Indigenous Peoples? As I said, in Canada we have cards and docs.

Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 19:08
Well, I don't know it in detail because I am not an U.S. citizen and I don't live in there. I am Chilean and live in Souther South America.

And in my country, aboriguinal peoples are associated to communities and common ownership of lands. We have three main aboriguinal peoples in here, two Native Americans (Mapuches and Aymaraes) and Easter Islanders, a Polynesian group, besides several other groups of small numbers. Most Chileans in general have certain degree of native ancestry, though.

Omar Vega (Alias Pinguin)
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 19:11

Ic.....Well can any US citizen help me on this question?

the_glitch View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote the_glitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 01:02

I myself have parents from mexico.My dad's from michoacan, and my mon's fron nayarit.So my rough estimate is that I'm a tarascan and kora. (although my mom always tells me we're defenitely kora)

I like indigenous cultures and want to mix some of their designs into sci-fi drawings I do.
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 02:26
Hey that would be very interesting to see.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 07:46
You bet. Could you post some of your art work? I am a fan of science fiction and amateur writer, too. And, as I know, I am also into native american cultures.
By the way, just a comment on a science fiction writer: Ben Bova. With a Chilean club of SF I had the opportunity to interview him by mail. Nice fellow. One of the most fascinating works of him is "Mars", that shows the first expedition to the red planet, and where the heroe is a Navajo. A real fascinating novel.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 03-Feb-2007 at 07:46
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote the_glitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 15:58
Originally posted by pinguin

You bet. Could you post some of your art work? I am a fan of science fiction and amateur writer, too. And, as I know, I am also into native american cultures.
By the way, just a comment on a science fiction writer: Ben Bova. With a Chilean club of SF I had the opportunity to interview him by mail. Nice fellow. One of the most fascinating works of him is "Mars", that shows the first expedition to the red planet, and where the heroe is a Navajo. A real fascinating novel.

Pinguin

Right now I'm still conceptualizing the images, but I'll have them up as soon as I'm done. They are based on Aztec and Mayan designs, along with others after I'm done with that. It's kinda related to how people have been using Egyptian designs for sci-fi, why not amerindians? Plus most statues of queztocual look like robots.

Sounds like a cool novel.I'll definitely check it out.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 19:32
Yes, Aztec and Mayan design are very interesting, indeed. Abstract I would say. There are some drawing in that classical art that look like very stylized cartoons. Others are amazing because of the realism, the volutes, the rococco overcharged patterns. beautiful.

Another form of Amerindian art you should check it out -I believe- is the one of the Natives of North West North America. People like the Seattle and others of the region, the ones of the famous totem poles, have a pretty amazing form of art I like it very much.

Regards,

Pinguin

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote the_glitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 22:33
I believe you refer to the Haida.They have some neat designs.
Interesting people since I heard they had some form of metal working prior to european contact.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 22:13

Yes, native Americans in the United States are issued tribal identification cards by their tribal authorities.

Each federally or state recognized tribe can set their own standards for how much blood an individual needs to have before they qualify for membership.  Some tribes have other stipulations as well,  such as ancestors must have lived in a certain community before a certain date etc.

Though there are some authentic Native Americans who lack formal tribal affiliations due to a variety of reasons,  there are many more "wanna bes" who for whatever reason claim to be Native Americans when they are not.  These people ("wanna bes") do not have tribal memberships and should not get them.  

Edited by Cryptic - 05-Feb-2007 at 22:16
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 22:24
Hi Cryptic,

And what about those Whites that have lost their links with the Native cultures but that really have native ancestors?

I have seen some genetical research that say 6% of the genetic makeup of those people is Native American, so, at least 15% of them could have Native Americans in theirs family tree. Sometimes, they find out and go crazy, trying to get affiliated to a tribe just because they got some Native ancestry.

What do you think about them?

Pinguin

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 22:55
Originally posted by pinguin

And what about those Whites that have lost their links with the Native cultures but that really have native ancestors?

What do you think about them?

Over all, I would consider most of these people as "white" both by culture and ethnicity since their ancestery is too undefined to qualify for tribal membership and they are culturally anglo.

There are a few exceptions though.  Some "mestizo" groups do have recognizable communities and I would consider these people as being from a culturally distinct though non indigenous communities.  For example,  The Lumbee group in North Carolina is a distict community of Native American /  White /  Black mestizos. 

There are other such groups as well including one known as "Sabine Whites" from Sabine Country, Texas.   I knew a man from this group.  He self identified as "white" but obviously had a great deal of Native American blood.  Since he had deep ties Sabine County and many other whites there had his physical features, I would have considered him as being from a distinct though non Native community had he identified himself as such (he did not).

Mulegenons(sp) are family based groups inn the  North Carolina, Kentucky, Tenessee etc mountains who are a mestizo group of Black / whie and Native American.  These people though, are too scattered to have seperate communities.  

Edited by Cryptic - 05-Feb-2007 at 23:03
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 15:53
Originally posted by Cryptic

Yes, native Americans in the United States are issued tribal identification cards by their tribal authorities.

Each federally or state recognized tribe can set their own standards for how much blood an individual needs to have before they qualify for membership.  Some tribes have other stipulations as well,  such as ancestors must have lived in a certain community before a certain date etc.

Though there are some authentic Native Americans who lack formal tribal affiliations due to a variety of reasons,  there are many more "wanna bes" who for whatever reason claim to be Native Americans when they are not.  These people ("wanna bes") do not have tribal memberships and should not get them.  
Ic thank you for the info. I hate wanna bes too, and i agree with you on the no membership.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 16:24
And if the people is not looking for the admision in a tribe, but just want to know more about the culture and themselves? Would they be wannabes or what? Would they be welcome?

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 06-Feb-2007 at 16:26
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 21:07
No if they want to learn, by all mean they can. But they cannot be part of the tribe. They can only learn. Movies then to take that away.
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 21:11
But I cannot say that for every First-Nations/Amerindian. I know that the Iroquois, Mohawks and of course the Ojibwa will only teach non-tribal members, not accept them as their own.

P.S.  srry for double posting, I am in a rush. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 21:21

Yes, I undestand. That's the way it should be.

In here, in Latin America, the mainstream is mixed European-Amerindian, and we still have some problems and tensions with traditional peoples belonging to tribes. And I have seen that reaction you told me right in here.

Pinguin

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 21:51

No if they want to learn, by all mean they can. But they cannot be part of the tribe. They can only learn. Movies then to take that away.

And another challenge for Native Americans is determining if these people truly want to learn about actual Natice American cultural practices.  Evidently many potential students are interested only themes that support their romanticized ideas of Native American life and spirituality.   

Most of these beliefs are a mix of New Age spirituality, environmental activism, matriarchial religion and pacificism.   Authentic native cultural elements that dont fit this picture are rejected.  

Or worse....  Wanna be "teachers" claiming to be Native American "wise women / men" pass off New Age spirituality as authentic Native American spirituality.   New age magazines are full of advertisements of these people. 

Edited by Cryptic - 06-Feb-2007 at 21:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>