Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Native Americans on all empires???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Native Americans on all empires???
    Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 22:20

I think the Iroquois tribes were the powerful one among all tribes of North america. they had a king of primitive system of federation. some people say that the federation Of US was influenced by this. They might develop a strong nation if white firstly appeared in America in 18 century.

leung
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 00:16

The League was actually started in the 1300s as you can tell by the astrological signs reported in their history and legends.  It was in fact a very intelligent system binding allies and integrating them into a matriarchal meritocracy over time.  In my own opinion it is the single finest form of government that has ever been found in the world.  Before contact when there were many more Iroquois they had a much more settled and agricultural lifestyle but unlike man ysocieties they retained their freedom even after the move to agriculture.  They also remained warriors because they and the HUron were isolated islands of Iroquoians in a sea of Algonquin ethnic people, hence the skill at war.

Here is their constitution as dictated in writing long after contact.

http://www.constitution.org/cons/iroquois.htm

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 01:40

Oh, and I think this should be the right thread to post this on, Native Americans are finally starting to get involved in US politics, its a short article 2 pages but worth reading.  The lady is kinda hot too.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10645057/

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 23:21
I to have distant roots, Seneca Iroquois to be exact. The Iroquois league is one of my favorite things in all of history, but Plains Indians are cool too as they are similair to steppe peoples whom I also love

Funny, who knows we could have a common ancestor.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 16:05
I still would like to know who else is full blooded, part, or at least has Native American ancestry, even if it goes back several generation. It is still part of you and your collective ancestry. I know there are some new people here since I first put up this thread.
Any Salish?

I have really gotten to enjoy the history, culture, myth of the Salish tribes of my area. Working at Old Mission State Park was fun as an archivist. I had the chance to work with and catalog pioneer and Couer d' Alene Indian artifacts. I just hated all the bat crap in the attic of the old church,lots of artifacts up there. I loved the Stories about the abundance of wildlife and the dangers of travel in the 19th c. and prior in the Silver Valley area where I worked, very fascinating. Grizzly bears and Mountain lions were a much more abundant as well as the wolf. The forests were ancient and very dense and the whole area is very rugged.

Edited by eaglecap
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 09:19

Dear American Forumers,

Hi there. Best wishes and respect. Well, I'm from your neighbor subforum; Steppes and Central Asia. I'm looking for anybody who is Native American or is able to talk in their language. My question is:

How do you say 'island' in Native American languages?

Does is it have anything related with the word 'Canada'?

I'm looking forward to hearing about what you can do to help solve this problem. I appreciate all your help. Take care and take it easy.

Kind regards,

Iltirish Yemreli

Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 09:32
Ive heard "canada" means "bloody island" in some native american tongue. Maybe one of these american members can verify that.
Yum Kaax Pakal View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Yum Kaax Pakal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 17:32

Hi there! Im half mayan by the side of my father (by the other side im spanish)...i dont speak mayan, but my grandparents used to...they just forggot how to...

Im going to take mayan lessons in a few days...so i wish can refind my real mother root.

TONEYO, TOTAHUCA MEXICA!!
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 10:50

Hi

I JUST LOVE!!! Indian names, like Sitting Bull etc.. If anyone has got interesting names than please post.

Also wondering what do indians call themselves, i would be surprised if they refer to themselves as indians.

Bonde View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Bonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 17:07
I personally don't have any Native American forefathers.

Some of the Spanish aristocracy in Spain (Duquesa de Alba etc...) descend directly from Aztec Emperors according to this site.
Voyager View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Voyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 07:25
Originally posted by ITZOCELOTL

I am Mexican and I am Meztizo but I am 102 % proud of my Mexican roots and I do not care anything about my Spanish roots I see them as invaders and intruders to my nation. How could we Mexicans be proud of being Spanish? that is like a jew saying he is proud he is half german. I am native american and our Mexican culture still lives today. Our food is Mexican, our flag, our physical features, but the Spanish corrupted much of our culture. They took away our beliefes and made them chritian style. Most of us speak spanish when we should be speaking nahuatl. We have spanish names and we bare the last name of the Spaniard who inslaved our great great grandpa or grandma. We must fight back and change to the real Mexican culture.

Yes, I'm looking forward to see you returning to human sacrifices.
ITZOCELOTL View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote ITZOCELOTL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 22:36

Did I say we were going to sacrifice? and how could you like sacrificing? it must be a custom of your people. Obiously you dont know anything about Mexican culture except that we eat tacos and beans. We wont sacrifice to the Ometeotl anymore because we Ometeoist follow the teachings of Topiltzin Ce Acatl Quetzalcoatl today.

So you must love sacrificing humans then I dont want to offend your culture because I guess you guys sacrifice people today.

Cualli Tonalli ihuan Tlazohcamati

Edited by ITZOCELOTL
"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees"
   -Emiliano Zapata-    
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 12:50

I have a little cherokee on both sides, but I don't think that counts - anybody who's been in america for three or more generations has some cherokee.

I live on the Navajo Indian reservation, so I see the culture and hear the language every day. I'm learning navajo, and love the language.

malizai_ - the first names hear are pretty normal - either european; john, evan, thomas, or urban; anpherny, telijy, or a mixture of the two. The last names are a hoot though. Whitehorse, Redhouse, Manygoats, Whitehair, Yellowman - I could go on forever. Also they refer to themselves as navajos, natives, or sometimes dineh - navajo for 'the people'

Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 20:29
My grandmother was American Indian. She was raised in a catholic monastery orphanage, though. So, that makes me a quarter something...
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 14:05
Originally posted by SulcataIxlude

I have some Shawnee (Tecumseh's people) and Cheeroke on my mother and biological father's side. Unfortunately the European traits in my genetics overpower the native traits.  

Yes what a damn shame, not.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 14:14
Originally posted by ITZOCELOTL

I am Mexican and I am Meztizo but I am 102 % proud of my Mexican roots and I do not care anything about my Spanish roots I see them as invaders and intruders to my nation. How could we Mexicans be proud of being Spanish? that is like a jew saying he is proud he is half german. I am native american and our Mexican culture still lives today. Our food is Mexican, our flag, our physical features, but the Spanish corrupted much of our culture. They took away our beliefes and made them chritian style. Most of us speak spanish when we should be speaking nahuatl. We have spanish names and we bare the last name of the Spaniard who inslaved our great great grandpa or grandma. We must fight back and change to the real Mexican culture.

I guess with new technology you people will be able to manipulate your genes so that you that you no longer look mestizo, but rather like the nativesLOL.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 23:55
Originally posted by Tobodai

Oh, and I think this should be the right thread to post this on, Native Americans are finally starting to get involved in US politics, its a short article 2 pages but worth reading.  The lady is kinda hot too.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10645057/

How retarded, she doesnt even look Indian. Is it considered cool in America to claim Native American ancestry??????
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 05:59
Well, it's not considered 'cool'. It's just that most Americans do have native
American blood, even if they don't look like it.
My father's side came to America in the 1620's and a few times they have married into native American families. My grandmother for instance was mostly native American. You could see this in my mother, but I have blue eyes, light brown hair (blonde in youth) and get 2nd degree burns if I am in the sun for longer then an hour.
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Ed Ziomek View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ed Ziomek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 08:58

As I have retold many times before, I am not an academic nor scientist.

But as an interested observer-tourist, I dive into libraries and old books and research plausible origins of various phenomena, including the origins of various Amerindian tribes.

On various websites around the world, I have published my findings and that of the 1000 to 10,000 authors I believe wrote about the diffusion of cultures in the ancient world.

Every major culture, from every continent was here, thousands of years before Colombus.  The geographic dead center of this western hemisphere population was (I believe), the valley of Mexico which contains major Egyptian, Greek, even Atlantean-style naming conventions.

Iroquois Confederation....
Iroquois for example, I believe is the Egyptian name Ur Hekau...Mighty people of magic words.  Others have said this is incorrect, and is a slang negative description of them, where the actual name may be..."Haudenosuanee"...pronounced ho dee noe sho nee.

Well, in that case, there is another Egyptian name that caught my eye in the 1920 book... An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary  by Wallis Budge...

"Huit Antiu" page 469. As vowels were not "invented" until 750 BC by the Greeks, we can only guess as to how it is pronounced..

Whoo-ee-tee-ann-shoo .....or even... Huu-ee'-tee-aa-na'-shoo

Is this the ho dee noe sho nee of the Iroquois?

This is another title of Sekhmit, the blood-thirsty lion Goddess, who had three primal forms, and was revered in three locations. Sekhmet was considered the "powerful Goddess", the Goddess who destroyed humanity...

Incidentally, I actually believe that this name may also be the forerunner of the Greek cult... "Dionysius"...

"Ever since the German philosopher Nietsche's The Birth of Tragedy (1872), it has been conventional to see Apollo and Dionysus as the opposed sides of Greek culture, with Apollo representing the traditional classic virtues of light and reason and Dionysus representing those darker forces which we ignore at our peril--the great Greek tragedies, after all, were written for a festival in honor of Dionysus. His worshippers were said to tear apart animals with the bare hands and eat the raw flesh, convinced that they were devouring and becoming one with their god. This sense of union with a god is foreign to the Olympians in general. The role of women in his worship was also regarded with distrust. The legend of Orpheus, torn apart by female worshippers of Dionysus, may suggest a latent identification of Dionysus with Orpheus. Orpheus was said to be a founder of mysteries, quite possibly mysteries in honor of the Goddess. Dionysus was eventually worshipped as part of the great Eleusinian mysteries celebrated near Athens, which were chiefly in honor of Demeter and Persephone "

See also a passionate web debate, criticizing me, in a nice, academic way...

In my heart of hearts, all Amerindian tribes can be explained by library books showing the ancient cultures of China, Egypt, Greece, Babylon, Africa and Ireland ...

I have posted many of the Asian origins on Chinahistoryforum.com...

Chinese or Japanese Warrior King Among Incas?, "Lord of Sipan"

Ma-ha-ka-na... Mythical Demon God?, (Mexicana, Mexicalla?)

...and many of the Amerindian names for American states on...

Egyptian, Babylonian, Judaic Origins?

Alabama   Allah m'bah.... in the presence of God, Allah....
Arkansas
Connecticut...series of Pharoahs.... Amenhetep IV...Akenaten
Man-hattan
Ramapo, New Jersey
Ramsey, New Jersey, ....
Paramus".
Lenni Lenape"
.William Penn, 1683:
IdahoIdho
Indiana (Babylonian?)   Ishtar, Mother Goddess Innana
Iua   Iowa...Jah the Great
Kansas
Ken-tucky
Massachusetts...(Northern Bear constellation tribe)
Michigan...temple of life... (Iraqi-Babylonian!!!)
Mississippi   ...shrine of Ra-mesus or Moses or Isis
Ohio
Texas, Tchaus, Tay-kas  ....the Divine Chiefs...
Tennessee   ....wisdom of Tanus
Utau
Wyoming...

Greek contributions
Illinois...Hellenes, Elianas, Greek
Chicago Onion   the moon God
Pearia Mountains of Greece..."Peoria, Illinois"
Argo, Illinois   ...first King of ancient Greece
Minneapolis  ...the Minneans...
Minnesota
Elyria, Ohio.... the Illyrians
Pegausset tribe, Bridgeport, CT ...The Pegausis, horse of Zeus

Hopatcong, Netcong, Musconetcong, New Jerseyand Phila-Delphia!

California... Caliph or Kalifa or H'alifa...
Canada   (Khent, Kah-yeh-na-ta, the Garden Land)
Quebec   (the Egyptian Goose God Qebak)
Saskatchewan   (the radiance of Amun Ra)
Toronto

I don't claim these to be "Facts", as I claim them to be plausible explanations... probably replaceable by MORE plausible explanations by yourselves, and our children, and their children....I can't help but be fascinated by one two-volume set of books, written in 1920 by Wallis Budge, that seems to be an encyclopedia of the western hemisphere tribes... An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, that has taken me two years to plow through, and I am still not finished, and then I will start over again to see what I have missed! 

Edited by Ed Ziomek - 27-May-2006 at 09:03
Ed Z
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 15:28
All regular pre-Columbian contact can be easily disproven by pointing at the fact that millions of indians died of deseases after the Spanish discovered the continent. If there were really regular contacts between the old and the new world before 1492, epidemics would have wiped out much of the native American population much earlier, and the remaining indians would have been more resistant against European deseases upon the arrival of the Spanish.

but anyay, some rebuttals against some specific points of your theory:

Iroquois for example, I believe is the Egyptian name Ur Hekau...Mighty people of magic words.  Others have said this is incorrect, and is a slang negative description of them, where the actual name may be..."Haudenosuanee"...pronounced ho dee noe sho nee.

Well, in that case, there is another Egyptian name that caught my eye in the 1920 book... An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary  by Wallis Budge...

"Huit Antiu" page 469. As vowels were not "invented" until 750 BC by the Greeks, we can only guess as to how it is pronounced..

Whoo-ee-tee-ann-shoo .....or even... Huu-ee'-tee-aa-na'-shoo

Is this the ho dee noe sho nee of the Iroquois?

The Iroquois lived from about 1200 onwards, long after Ancient Egypt. Apart from that, both the etymology of Iroquois (an insulting name from the Hurons, forgot the meaning) and Haudenosee ("people of the longhouse" in their own language) is already known, and both explanation are much more plausible than the Egyptian one. Why should you assume that Haudenosaunee is derived from Huit Antiu if it already has a perfectly logical meaning in the Iroquois language itself. Apart from that, "Ur Hekau" to "Iroquios" is quite fuzzy, you could just as well say that Iroquois is derived from "you're OK".

The same is true for all other etymologies you mentioned. Most of them have perfectly acceptable etymologies, and the ones you mentioned are too creative and fuzzy to be taken seriously.

Edited by Mixcoatl - 27-May-2006 at 15:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>