Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can God write a Philosophy Book?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can God write a Philosophy Book?
    Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 17:50
This is a thought that has just come to me. It's probably wrong, but I'll ask it anyway just to find out how I'm mistaken.

The question is... Can God/Allah/Jehova/Yahweh write a Philosphy Book?

My immediate thought is, no.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 18:33
...and my immediate thought is that Paul certainly can!
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 19:11
I have an immediate question: Why would He need to? Interesting topic, Paul. Why, may I ask, do you answer it in the negative? Wink

-Akolouthos
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 19:14
Any book God would write would be impossible for us to comprehend as language, words, or even a book, so technically I would say no.

However he could dictate said book to someone who could write it in a language man could understand....
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 19:43
Why would God philosophize though? If you take the stance that God is supreme, all-knowing, and infinite the fact that he does give a message to humanity is gracious enough is it not. Beside it is us that fail to understand that message if you take that stance not God, so if we cannot understand a simple message how are we to understand a more intricate philosophy. Not to mention that each message contains a decent amount of philosophical takes as well. We humans develop them alongside theology, etc to understand our role in that message, in the world, the role of the message in the world ,etc... 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 19:44
Originally posted by JanusRook

Any book God would write would be impossible for us to comprehend as language, words, or even a book, so technically I would say no.

However he could dictate said book to someone who could write it in a language man could understand....

Beat me to it Janus Wink
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 19:48

So that means that God is actually...

dr. Gonzaga!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 19:58
Surely the idea of philosophy is... you have an idea. You discuss the idea, you work its flaws, work out how to improve it and modifiy the idea with the improvements ............ then repeat............ forever.

If I'm not wrong wrong, in the afformentioned religions, god's word is infallible, right.

So he can't write a philosophy book.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 23:35
Surely the idea of philosophy is... you have an idea. You discuss the idea, you work its flaws, work out how to improve it and modifiy the idea with the improvements ............ then repeat............ forever.

Unless your the Philosopher who dreamt up the idea, in which case what's in your head is correct and everyone else is just mistaken.

I doubt that Hobbes, Marx, and Locke thought that their ideas had flaws in them. To themselves it made perfect sense, and how could anyone else believe otherwise.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 23:45
All the books in the world and all the things have been thinked and made by God through men.

A man can think nothing or do nothing by himself.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 00:08

Unless your the Philosopher who dreamt up the idea, in which case what's in your head is correct and everyone else is just mistaken.

I doubt that Hobbes, Marx, and Locke thought that their ideas had flaws in them. To themselves it made perfect sense, and how could anyone else believe otherwise.

I'm sure Marx thought his idea was flawless. Locke I doubt, even when he sobered up.

However as Bertrand Russell once said.

"I would never die for my beliefs, because I might be wrong"

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 01:19
Yes. But it would be kind of pointless.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 03:12
Some would argue he already has.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 04:58
I was thinking that way to Zaitsev but I don't think it is what Paul had in mind.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 12:34
I try not to wonder what goes on in Paul's mind. Tongue
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 14:09
This might not be so confusing a question if it just asked 'could God be a philosopher?' (With Paul's specified versions of 'God'.)

If a philosopher is one who seeks truth, then the answer has to be 'no', because those Gods aren't seeking it, they're defined as knowing it.

But I don't see why God can't write a book. I did and I have no supernatural pretensions. He could anyway use a ghost-writer.

Edited by gcle2003 - 15-Feb-2008 at 14:09
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 14:35
Could God write a book? yes - but i know that I dont believe God wrote the Bible, i believe He inspired the men who wrote it - basically telling them what to write. So.. could He? Yes, He can do anything right? The idea brought up earlier that we couldn't understand what He wrote if he were to write something doesnt' quite work caue if He was writing it for us, knowing that we would eventually see it He'd make it understandable right...? I think that'd be the next logical thought to follow.
Einstein said, "God does not play dice." He was right. God plays Scrabble. - Philip Gold
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 14:38
Sorry, looking back i believe i didn't answer anything.. questions was "Could God write a Philosophy Book?" - God could write a book, but a philosophy book? What would be the point, there'd be nothing to philosophize for God because He would know everything... - Then again, taking a one-sided view of the Bible for the moment, it would mean that the Bible isn't philosophical at all, and that it's the absolute truth Wink
Einstein said, "God does not play dice." He was right. God plays Scrabble. - Philip Gold
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 18:22
Surely if the answer is yes, God can write a philosophy book.

The next question is,

Ok, where are the errors in the Kuran, Torah and Bible and how can we correct them?

Edited by Paul - 15-Feb-2008 at 18:23

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 20:56
Ok, where are the errors in the Kuran, Torah and Bible and how can we correct them?

There are no errors in any of those books, they have in them everything God wanted to have in them.

That's not to say everything in those books is "right", just that what's in there is what God wants us to read.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>