Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the cruelest army on Earth?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Poll Question: Nazis SS/Whemactch
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
70 [23.49%]
53 [17.79%]
39 [13.09%]
64 [21.48%]
38 [12.75%]
8 [2.68%]
11 [3.69%]
15 [5.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
RC1944 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RC1944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the cruelest army on Earth?
    Posted: 16-Apr-2010 at 23:47
Originally posted by

I think Spanish Coquisadors were tye most cruel ones from the options. Because they murdered all innocent Aztecs violently for gold. The Aztecs first tought that they were gods and let them enter their cities peacefully, but they didnt forgive anybody, including all villagers.

And I heard another thing about the invasion of south America. Cortez took the chief, or prince of a city and then, he promised to let the prince live if they gave all the gold and treasure of the city. And they accepted the deal. But after Cortez recieved all gold of the city, he tortured the prince and killed both the prince and the villagers of the city. Obvious cruelty...

Actually, by the standards of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, the Spaniards were no more cruel than many other European nations.  Terrible brutality was practiced by Europeans against other Europeans, not just against the Aztecs and Incas.  In addition, most of the wars fought by Spain were part of a religious crusade against all who were not of their faith.  The Aztecs with their practice of human sacrifice were the ultimate in evil so far as the Spaniards were concerned and they felt perfectly justified in killing any Aztecs who stood in their way in the name of God. 

The invasion of Peru that you describe was not carried out by Cortez, but by Pizarro.  Other than that you have the right idea.  However, you should understand that the goal of the Spaniards, both in the invasion of Mexico and in the destruction of the Incas was not just a lust for gold, although that certainly was a powerful motivator.  There was also the desire to convert the population to Christianity.  The fact that these two goals resulted in the death of millions was a sad side effect of the conquest, but it was not the primary motive of Spain to exterminate the people they conquered.  In fact, disease killed far more of the people of the Americas than did the Spanish invaders.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2010 at 16:32
Originally posted by Azadi

Originally posted by eaglecap

For me Stalin still tops the list but the Assyrians were very cruel.

Offtopic, but do you think the same of Lenin and Russia, in particular, under his rule ? I'm just wondering, because a good amount of people can't see the difference between those two ^^.

No not Lenin or at least I have not heard anything about him that can compare him to Stalin. I really do not see Lenin as being near as bad as Stalin.

It would be a good research piece though.

The Mongols top that list and what they did to Bagdad was very sad. What was it a pryamid of 60,000 skulls- ouch that would hurt-

Hitler also tops the list as well.

The Ottoman Turks were bad enough but the Mongols topped them.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2010 at 13:26
Originally posted by eaglecap

Offtopic, but do you think the same of Lenin and Russia, in particular, under his rule ? I'm just wondering, because a good amount of people can't see the difference between those two ^^.
gm123 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gm123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2010 at 12:44
I'd say Ottoman Turks, mass raping, killing, and "blood taxes" (taking babies to be turk soldiers)
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2010 at 11:34
Originally posted by Azadi

<span Apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">E</span><span apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 15px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "><span Apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">aglecap, not how many they conquered, but how they killed/tortured/treated the conquered people - or else it would just be "the most effective army on earth".</span></span>
<span Apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;"></span>
<span Apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">These are three of the sites I found which prove my point, on the Assyrian cruelty - which ultimately led to their destruction.</span>
<span Apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">http://news.softpedia.com/news/Assyrians-the-Lords-of-the-Massacres-77262.shtml</span><span Apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">

</span>
<span Apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">(Check all 10 pages)</span>

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
diegis1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote diegis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2010 at 10:34
 I think Vlad Tepes Dracula army was one of most bloody. Having a very small army from a small country they kill almost 100,000 peoples in some 6 years (a quite big number for the XV century but its debatable anyway) including almost 24,000 in raids in Ottoman Empire (beheaded, burned alive etc.), some 20,000 saxons and enemies pretenders to throne in Transylvania (impaled, skinned alive, boiled alive, burried alive) and during the ottoman invasion of Mohamed the second some 40,000 ottoman soldiers (with 20,000 impaled in what was named "the forest of impaled") making ottomans to go back and renounce to ever attach Valahia to Ottoman empire.

Anyway, mongols, nazis, japanese and even romans might by considered for the first place

Edited by diegis1 - 14-Apr-2010 at 10:36
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2010 at 13:36
I would easily suggest the Jews or what ever you want to call them during their supression of the Levant in the Bible! "Kill them all, thus sayest the Lord thy God!"

Hey, I just could not resist saying the truth!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2010 at 15:37
Eaglecap, not how many they conquered, but how they killed/tortured/treated the conquered people - or else it would just be "the most effective army on earth".

These are three of the sites I found which prove my point, on the Assyrian cruelty - which ultimately led to their destruction.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Assyrians-the-Lords-of-the-Massacres-77262.shtml

(Check all 10 pages)

Edited by Azadi - 12-Apr-2010 at 15:39
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2010 at 13:58
Boy this is an oldie but moldie!

What is the cruelest army on Earth?

I am not sure what the criteria is for this!

cruel meaning how many people were slaugtered or how they treated conquered people.

I put Stalin of course since the Communist have murdered more people, in such a short time span, than all the religious wars in our history. I mean Muslims, Christians, Hebrews or any other group.

1.     Stalin’s Red Army/KGB
2.     The Mongol Hordes
3.     Ottoman Turks
4.     Spanish Conquistadors
5.     Japanese WW2 Imperial Army
6.     Roman Legions
7.     The Crusades

Edited by eaglecap - 12-Apr-2010 at 14:02
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2010 at 09:07
No doubt the Assyrians, no other nation can match their brutality and cruelty. Turks as a clear second.

Edited by Azadi - 12-Apr-2010 at 09:08
Irishbagpipes View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Irishbagpipes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2010 at 22:47
I see a few people questioning why some put the Turks.  The Armenians were forced to leave their lands during WWI and were practically decimated.  This genocide was covered up by the Ottoman leaders.  It is unfortunate that few know of this tragedy.  I voted for the Imperial Japanese army, however the Assyrians were the worst of the Ancient civilizations for sure.
o_irengun View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote o_irengun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 07:00

Edgewaters  you are  right  cruel armies  are not ''allways''  good. But a professional and disciplined  army which is also cruel  is very usefull.Especially in the times  of swords.

Maharbball  generally  the human  natur  is cruel  most people dont need a weapon  to be violent!!So  u are right too )) 

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 00:03
Originally posted by o_irengun

Therefor you need an Army which is cruel.A good soldier is someone who can kill any enemy without having sensibility.

Cruel Soldiers=Good Army

No, not always. That's why professionalism and discipline have always been so valued among militaries. Having very sadistic soldiers who cannot control their impulses is generally a bad thing, and has been for a very long time. It's pretty easy to get an army to kill and loot, it's more difficult to get one that will stop when ordered. Also the same armies that can't be stopped from ravaging civilian populations, are the ones that break ranks and rout easily when faced with a powerful enemy.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 22:26
I think the Red Army should  be separate from the KGB...
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 21:16
Hi,
to merced12:
French imperialist army was indeed one of the very worst during the 19th
century (during the 20th there was more concurrence). I never tried to
deny it. Even Belgian manage to create their multi-millions deads
genocide in Congo (exact date unknown to me).
to o-irengun:
any man with a weapon is ban to be cruel. (D. Rumsfeld even shot a
friend of his)
Bye
I am a free donkey!
o_irengun View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote o_irengun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 20:11

What is the main object  of an Army? Fighting!

Did  anyone  heard  about  a  peaceful War?Or  about  an peaceful Army?

You  train mainly  soldiers  to kill,to conquer,to invade and rule countries  etc etc.And  non  of these  reasons  are  peaceful or nice.

Therefor you need an  Army  which  is  cruel.A good  soldier is someone  who can kill  any  enemy  without  having  sensibility.

Cruel  Soldiers=Good Army

Ottoman  Emperium  was based  on  Janisseries  which were  professional soldiers  which were  (in the  early  and  strong times)  isolated  and trained  to be  bad.So they were  crueler  than a  farmer  which was conscripted or  a  soldier  with  family.

They were  cruel  against  ottoman citizens against enemies  against their  own against  the ottoman cavalry  against  the  vezirs  and  against the sultan own.

Ottoman  janisseries  were  the cruelest  Soldiers  so Ottoman Army was the  cruelest  Army  till  The  janissery  Codex  of  Sultan Sleyman  was  broken.

Ottoman turks , Mongol Hordes and  citizens  of  U.S. are  not  Armies!!!!!

You can not  compare  apples  with  pears.

merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 19:16

yes france empire was a angel

in algeria,west africa ...............

french slave trader...

http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 19:04
Hi,
To Evrenogazi:
1) There was a kind of systmatic pounding from ottomans in Russia,
Hungary and in the Mediterranean (60,000 slaves in Algiers in the early
17th century accorrding to Pre Dan on less than 100,000 inhabitants
denotes a real large scale
economy of kidnapping).
2) Of course Ottoman were less cruel than Mongols but there are much
more Turks on this forum so it's funnier to vote for Osmanlis' armies. Just
to start an argument. ><
Bye.
I am a free donkey!
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 16:45
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Hi,
Come on Evrenogazi how can you say "ther int any murders recorded"? It
is simply impossible. Hundreds of bloody events took place under
ottoman rule even if it was normally quite peaceful.
If only, what do you thinks the Janissaries were doing in Greece during
the 1571-1572 uprising? What have they done in Rhodus in 1522? And so
on...
Ottoman rulers were imperialists and you run an empire by being nice.
Bye.
Okay this is wrong. But there isnt any systematic murder. And ottomans kill more turkoman than christian. the balkan states advanced until 18th century. In 19th century they regressed as anatolia to.
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 16:42
Originally posted by Mortaza

Pool is not objective, for exp: even I dont like USA army, It deserve 0 vote compared with other nations.

Some People voted country they didnt like.

I agree (ottomans %20-mongols%13)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>