Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKosovo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 32>
Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kosovo
    Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 22:53
well 80% or so of Thracians live on the territory of modern Bulgaria
 Huh? So until now you had no idea Thracian tribes lived in Serbia and now you estimate those who lived in the territories of modern Romania, Serbia, Greece and Turkey (not to count each ex-Yugoslav state or separatist region) to ~20%, right?

and whats the difference between Thracians and Dacians anyways?
Some say that Thracian and Dacian were two distinct languages.

only a few, whats the point of this at all. modern Germany assuming all ethnicities living on the modern territory would comprise the Celts (Homeland), Slavics and Romans, we could claim the shit out of almost all of europe?! everyone knows Germany is a Germanic country with predominantly Germanic people. period. Serbia is a predominantly Slavic country with predominantly Slavic people which happen to call themselves Serbians and not Illyro-Thraco-Serbs or whatever. Serbia existed only since the midle ages and not before, whats so difficult to understand about that? America can't claim 10,000 years of hsitory just because they happen to live on the same ground as the native hunter gatherers that went over from Asia. I mean do you say that Turkey is modern Hittitistan or something?
Though it was said several times maybe it passed unnoticed: Serb ethnicity and culture is much more related to its Balkanic neighbours than to Russia or Poland. In other words except for language, there's little else "Slavic" about the Serbian people.
Like I've said in another thread: this is not really problem of Balkan mentality, it's a worldwide phenomenon. Maybe in some "civilized" countries people learned to care less, but deep inside many still have the same flawed understanding of language, ethnicity, culture, which ultimately divides the world in "us vs them".
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 23:01
Originally posted by Spartakus

Thinks are not a paradise, we are still having problems. But we are not stacked in policies of the past. The base is not the same, it cannot be in our globalized world.
Thats why Kosovo indipendence can only be a good thing.Serbia should go towards the democratic nations,were it belongs,not towards Russia who has a milion problems,and is just trying to hold on to its negative influence on Europe.
Trust me,when USA,France,Britain,Germany,Italy speak with the same voice,there is a good decission,and a firm one.The whole establishment of worlds democracy agrees on this.I cant belive some people still think is wrong or a precedent.

It sets a precedent??????????????
And whats the problem with that,let it set a very good precedent then,that all governments who plan genocide on minorities,can expect the same treatment.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 23:04
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Though it was said several times maybe it passed unnoticed: Serb ethnicity and culture is much more related to its Balkanic neighbours than to Russia or Poland. In other words except for language, there's little else "Slavic" about the Serbian people.
Like I've said in another thread: this is not really problem of Balkan mentality, it's a worldwide phenomenon. Maybe in some "civilized" countries people learned to care less, but deep inside many still have the same flawed understanding of language, ethnicity, culture, which ultimately divides the world in "us vs them".

Yes, that's what I also wanted to stress out.
Σαυρομάτης
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 23:27
If the serbs from the northern provinces of Kosovo, want split out and unify with Serbia, it's the same right than Kosovo have used for separate from Serbia, right? Should be accepted by the alban-kosovars...
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 23:28

Nice to see that no one quotes me. It makes me feel very good to know that nobody pays attention to what i say!LOL

Doesn't respond does not mean doesn't pay attention.  And to "scratch" your ego I will tell you that it's good point Wink
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 23:34
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Originally posted by Chilbudios

Yes, that's what I also wanted to stress out.

Haha, mate, I am stressing this out for 1.5 years already :)
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 23:37
Originally posted by Ikki

If the serbs from the northern provinces of Kosovo, want split out and unify with Serbia, it's the same right than Kosovo have used for separate from Serbia, right? Should be accepted by the alban-kosovars...

Kosovo should not be a precedent according to EU and USA declaration, remember?
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 00:26
The problem with that is that "northern Kosovo" is not really a recognized entity with defined borders. Its purely on ethnic grounds. Which means that Albs of Preshevo valley, which is in southern Serbia, next to Kosovo, would start pushing for the same; along with Albs of north-western Macedonia. So far those ethnicities have kept quiet. Albs of Preshevo use the Albanian flag and the Serbian flag, same with FYROM Albs...
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 02:00
What if an ethnic group become majoritary in a region of a country, say, Albania?    Should they obtain independence?

In Romania, the independance of Kosovo generated both hope and angry, but not at the same people.

Hope and joy for the Hungarisn minority which is seeing this as a good precedent for their claims to obtain authonomy of the Szekler region, in the very geographical center of Romania.

Angry for Romanians for the same reason.

For me, such an authonomy is not only an injustice but will affect terrible my life and like many Romanians, I would have peace untill this situation would be eliminated.

Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 02:31
What if an ethnic group become majoritary in a region of a country, say, Albania?    Should they obtain independence?

My own wishes would say no, but if they obtain the proper support, whats to stop them? As of now, I do feel very safe since most minorities both have lower birthrates than Albanians and are either assimilating (Vlachs, the vast amount of which are already assimilated) or emigrating (Greeks).

Edited by Theodore Felix - 20-Feb-2008 at 02:33
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 05:17
Yougoslav.why dont you find me a single map of Serbia from 1817 to 1912 that includes Kosovo??????

So Serbian history didn't exist before 1817? Just because a major migration of peoples has happened since the Medieval period doesn't mean that the Serbians should lose all claim to their former lands.

Are you sain that after 400 years the Serbs felt they had a right to claim Kosovo,but that the Albanians living there should not have the right after just under a centrury?

All parties present maintain their rights, both the Albanians (I'd prefer Kosovars since to call them Albanians lends the idea that they will merge with Albania and if this occurs there will be war in the Balkans), and the Serbians. Neither party has any right to deny the claims of the other.

But Slovakia will ,and eventually all E.U countries will recognise it.

Unless of course Serbia eats it up again.....

^^^ Would it be possible for us to stick to the topic?

Once a thread gets more than three pages it is undeniably impossible to stick on any topic.

Nice to see that no one quotes me. It makes me feel very good to know that nobody pays attention to what i say!

Exactly.

modern Germany assuming all ethnicities living on the modern territory would comprise the Celts (Homeland), Slavics and Romans, we could claim the shit out of almost all of europe?!

Isn't that what Germany did in WWII anyway?............Point is anyone can concoct any history to claim anything, I mean if you really wanted to a British person could go all the way back to the Nostratic peoples and claim the entire Old World.

Serbia existed only since the midle ages and not before, whats so difficult to understand about that? America can't claim 10,000 years of hsitory just because they happen to live on the same ground as the native hunter gatherers that went over from Asia. I mean do you say that Turkey is modern Hittitistan or something?

I agree, genetics do not define a cultural group, I mean you don't need to look much further than the germans to see that.

==================================

As to the recent history of Kosovo I see a repeat of the Republic of Texas. Early on in Texas history Mexico offered settlements to American nationals who jumped at the chance to occupy a more or less empty land. Eventually a new regime happened in Mexico that begin to take offense to the Americans not assimilating into their culture. They then began to use their government powers to abuse the Americans, this lead to the Americans declaring an independent Texas, after a brief conflict Texas gained peace as long as it didn't join with the United States, well the US offered union with Texas and Texas agreed, sparking the Mexican-American war.

I see this as a good possibility of occuring with Albanians using the creation of Kosovo as an attempt to "invade" Serbia with the pretext of Albania being the victim to a Serbian agressor when the Albanian nationals in Kosovo where the agressors. Is this not a good analogy to understand the problems with an independent Kosovo?

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 05:51
Originally posted by JanusRook

I see this as a good possibility of occuring with Albanians using the creation of Kosovo as an attempt to "invade" Serbia with the pretext of Albania being the victim to a Serbian agressor when the Albanian nationals in Kosovo where the agressors. Is this not a good analogy to understand the problems with an independent Kosovo?

Its a so-so analogy and Im saying that to make you happy...somewhat. Wink
Like I discussed before it is crucial to incorporate the time and historical setting of an event to correctly judge its outcome.

I don't know for sure but I think its pretty safe to assume that not many countries outside of the North American continent bothered to interfere so much with the problems of USA and Mexico over the Republic of Texas.

Kosovo is indeed a unique case not only because of its geographical location but also because how events unraveled during the break-up of Yugoslavia. If Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina and FYROM were allowed to freely go without much hassle why can't Kosovo and indeed any other geographical region within the ex-state's borders do it as well?

Don't tell me about Kosovo being inhabited by Serbs or any other pseudo-historical myths and lies for them to use to hold on to Kosovo. The plain simple fact is that the ethnic Albanians there won the demographic "war" in an extended period of time of conflict, broken treaties and pretty much vastly different time from the one we inhabit today.
The only sad fact about this is that it has caused and will cause much friction between the new East and West.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 06:59
Originally posted by vulkan02

If Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina and FYROM were allowed to freely go without much hassle

freely without much hassle?!, are you forgetting the bloody war that break through?,  if this is for you "freely without much hassle" then you are completely wrong
In wikipedia you have a nice article about the easy and a "freely without much hassle" Croatian War of Independence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatian_War_of_Independence#Casualties_notes

In six months, 10,000 people had died, hundreds of thousands had fled, and tens of thousands of homes had been destroyed. - you can find these on wikipedia

Edited by Illirac - 20-Feb-2008 at 07:07
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 07:24
Originally posted by Anton

Doesn't respond does not mean doesn't pay attention.  And to "scratch" your ego I will tell you that it's good point Wink

WinkLOL
LOL
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 16:29
Originally posted by Illirac

If Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina and FYROM were allowed to freely go without much hassle

freely without much hassle?!, are you forgetting the bloody war that break through?,  if this is for you "freely without much hassle" then you are completely wrong
In wikipedia you have a nice article about the easy and a "freely without much hassle" Croatian War of Independence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatian_War_of_Independence#Casualties_notes

In six months, 10,000 people had died, hundreds of thousands had fled, and tens of thousands of homes had been destroyed. - you can find these on wikipedia

Of course I know about the war  but obviously I know what happened after. Freely without much hassle means that virtually no countries opposed their independence.

Same thing happened in Kosovo. 10000+ people died, hundred thousands fled into Albania, thousands homes destroyed etc. Same symptoms, different results after the war.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 16:34
Originally posted by HEROI

Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by Leonidas

cool. now the precedent has been made, i think the Abkaz, Basque, treinster, etc , every other group can split from any nation regardless of due process and legalities. all you need is to be sponsored by a big power or even better a group of them.

The independence outcome is fine with me personally, im still very unimpressed on how this happened. This I think is going to cause longer term problems

Well said.  I wonder how France would react if Russia, Serbia and China recognized Corsica.  Don't we all know that Scotand is "destined" for independence as well? 

Absolutely agree with you.

But there are very big differences,and you can not make comparissions with Kosovo.

France has not had a policy of racism,discrimination etc in Corsica,it certainly did not kill and rape ,and planed a genocide,and i have not heard or seen a milion Corsicans finding shelter in Italy from the French army.

Thats the difference,and if that hapens to Corsicans ,they to have a right to lift the finger at France.

Happened to the Scottish though.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 16:34

Of course I know about the war  but obviously I know what happened after. Freely without much hassle means that virtually no countries opposed their independence.

Aha...I understood wrong then Big%20smile
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 16:39
Originally posted by HEROI

Thinks are not a paradise, we are still having problems. But we are not stacked in policies of the past. The base is not the same, it cannot be in our globalized world.
Thats why Kosovo indipendence can only be a good thing.Serbia should go towards the democratic nations,were it belongs,not towards Russia who has a milion problems,and is just trying to hold on to its negative influence on Europe.
Trust me,when USA,France,Britain,Germany,Italy speak with the same voice,there is a good decission,and a firm one.The whole establishment of worlds democracy agrees on this.I cant belive some people still think is wrong or a precedent.

It sets a precedent??????????????
And whats the problem with that,let it set a very good precedent then,that all governments who plan genocide on minorities,can expect the same treatment.

...or it sends a stronger message to all countries with strongly separatist minorities to aggressively and quickly expel / exterminate their minorities in order to protect their territorial integrity? Those that succeeded are now intact (Croatia is even advancing the EU) - the radicals are strengthening in Serbia because they understand the message is that Serbia is being punished for not succeeding in that.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 16:43
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

The problem with that is that "northern Kosovo" is not really a recognized entity with defined borders. Its purely on ethnic grounds. Which means that Albs of Preshevo valley, which is in southern Serbia, next to Kosovo, would start pushing for the same; along with Albs of north-western Macedonia. So far those ethnicities have kept quiet. Albs of Preshevo use the Albanian flag and the Serbian flag, same with FYROM Albs...

No, actually, it's sort-of more in Serbia for years by now. It's separate from the rest of Kosovo. Remember that this independence of Kosovo bases itself on accepting the reality and that's why I think Serbia should accept the reality and recognize Kosovo as well as the Kosovar Albanians accept the reality and forget about the northern tenth of Kosovo. It's even not a historical part of Kosovo (not only geographical, but even political).
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 18:30
Originally posted by Cryptic

No, they will not.  But then I do not think that Germany is going to release Barvaria either.  

why should we? its not that there is Germany & Bavaria. Germany is a confederation of roughly equally sized Germanic tribes where no one dominates the other (unlike Russia). and i really couldn't care less if bavaria secedes, they are a bunch of morons. likeweise i would appreciate the secession of Wrttemberg or Swabia for that matter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 32>