Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKosovo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 32>
Author
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kosovo
    Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 21:17
Originally posted by HEROI

Yougoslav.As you say ,they show how it should look,not how it is.I said that it never was.
Are you sain that after 400 years the Serbs felt they had a right to claim Kosovo,but that the Albanians living there should not have the right after just under a centrury?

What? Of course I'm not. I am talking about history.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 21:20
Originally posted by es_bih

ps.

Liverpool - AC Milan 0-0 still Smile

you mean Inter?
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 21:23
Yes sorry let me edit that
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 21:25
Liverpool 1-0 Inter Big%20smile

Edited by Illirac - 19-Feb-2008 at 21:26
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 21:29
Yes there is. In fact, Serbian popular culture, folklore and cuisine is very close to Greek and Albanian, rather than to Russian, Polish or Czech. The existence of Balkan language union is a fact (Balkan languages including Sebian are build on the same fundamental base which is pre Slavic indegenous Thracian-Illiryc-Greek dialects).

If we are going to base this on such redundant arguments, it may well be worth saying that the most accepted theory on the formation of the Albanian ethnicity is that it formed largely around what is today considered to be Kosovo and southern Serbia and moved into the mountains of Albania around the 6th century...

But anyway, this has nothing to do with the modern argument.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 21:31
liverpool - inter

2 - 0 with a few minutes left

two good goals
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 21:33
^^^ Would it be possible for us to stick to the topic?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 21:34
 Surely Albanians suffered, but they are not victims either. The victim mentality is a stereotype very well known in the history of Balkan, and global, ethnic propagandas. I know the history of Yugoslavia pretty well to understand that it's dissolve was primarily caused by Serbian implacability and violent action, which emerged by the demise of it's economy and the death of it's patron Tito, who ,accidentally, was also responsible for the emergence of Serbian nationalism, due to his anti-Serbian policies. But it is not like Albanians or the others are angels. Everybody is responsible for the situation. Look at Croatians and how they try to create new vocabulary so they can differentiate from Serbian language, it's identical twin. Look at Albanians in FYROM and their armed attack vs a sovereign State and goverment. Look at Bosnia-Herzegovina, with it's 3 (!) Presidents and Republics. Everybody are responsible for not being able to communicate with each other.

And you know what? All these happen while the Balkans receive non-Balkan immigrants from the entire world. Chinese in Albania, Japanese and Europeans in Bulgaria, Africans, Western and Eastern Europeans, Balkanians and Asians in Hellas/Greece. New problems arise and most of the Balkans have not even solve the old ones. At least, not all the Balkans. Look at us and Bulgaria. For decades Bulgaria was our main national enemy in the North. Now it is a member of the EU, Bulgarians and Hellens/Greeks use only their IDs to pass the border, there are Hellenic/Greek businesses in Bulgaria. There are Bulgarians living permanently in Greece. There is a communication which becomes stronger. Look at us and Turkey. We needed a damn earthquake to come to some communication!!! Literally!But it had a positive effect. Not that people suddenly changed and we are brothers in arms. No. But there is an established communication between the citizens of the different countries, without  the "fixers", the authorities. I can travel to Istanbul/Constantinople and speak Greek without any fear. On the other hand , Turks walk freely in the streets of Thessaloniki, as well as Africans and Balkanians.

Thinks are not a paradise, we are still having problems. But we are not stacked in policies of the past. The base is not the same, it cannot be in our globalized world.

Edited by Spartakus - 19-Feb-2008 at 21:36
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 21:36
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

Thought some light hearted comments on a game would lighten the mood. Not to mention there are more than one topic being discussed as it is...
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 22:04
Originally posted by es_bih

Thought some light hearted comments on a game would lighten the mood. Not to mention there are more than one topic being discussed as it is...

Second!
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 22:22
An interesting comment I read somewhere is that the bad tendancy of Balkan nations is that they glorify their defeats just as much as their victories. Any places that they have lost in the middle ages balkan nationalists today revere, like a holy place to the muslims, which is kinda weird in my opinion but...oh well

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 19-Feb-2008 at 22:23
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 22:25

Yes there is. In fact, Serbian popular culture, folklore and cuisine is very close to Greek and Albanian, rather than to Russian, Polish or Czech. The existence of Balkan language union is a fact (Balkan languages including Sebian are build on the same fundamental base which is pre Slavic indegenous Thracian-Illiryc-Greek dialects).

If we are going to base this on such redundant arguments, it may well be worth saying that the most accepted theory on the formation of the Albanian ethnicity is that it formed largely around what is today considered to be Kosovo and southern Serbia and moved into the mountains of Albania around the 6th century...

But anyway, this has nothing to do with the modern argument.

I didn't understand what you want to say. I have written this to show that Serbians are also the descendants of the indigenous Thracian-Illirian population of Balkans. You don't believe in this or what?

Isn't culture an indicator of the origins of the people for you?
Σαυρομάτης
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 22:28
Nice to see that no one quotes me. It makes me feel very good to know that nobody pays attention to what i say!LOL
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 22:29
I just did. And I have to say...I disagree
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 22:31
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Wiki says this:

After settling on the Balkans, Serbs mixed with other Slavic tribes (which settled during the great migration of the Slavs) and with descendants of the indigenous peoples of the Balkans: Greeks, Thracians, Dacians and Illyrians.

The conclusion is simple: Serbs are the descendant of indigenous Blakan people the same as Albanians are.

well 80% or so of Thracians live on the territory of modern Bulgaria and whats the difference between Thracians and Dacians anyways? i mean Dacians already were mixed Thraco-German/Celt. and greeks didn't really lived in Serbia, only a few, whats the point of this at all. modern Germany assuming all ethnicities living on the modern territory would comprise the Celts (Homeland), Slavics and Romans, we could claim the shit out of almost all of europe?! everyone knows Germany is a Germanic country with predominantly Germanic people. period. Serbia is a predominantly Slavic country with predominantly Slavic people which happen to call themselves Serbians and not Illyro-Thraco-Serbs or whatever. Serbia existed only since the midle ages and not before, whats so difficult to understand about that? America can't claim 10,000 years of hsitory just because they happen to live on the same ground as the native hunter gatherers that went over from Asia. I mean do you say that Turkey is modern Hittitistan or something? Confused
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 22:32
Nice to see that no one quotes me. It makes me feel very good to know that nobody pays attention to what i say!

I have this very feeling very often....

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 22:36
Isn't culture an indicator of the origins of the people for you?

Serbs today dont have Illyrian culture in them; neither do Albanians. Illyrian culture is gone. Although there are traces of these antique Balkan societies among Serbs and Albanians.

What Im saying is that discussing ethnic origins and using that as argument for modern conflicts is useless. Even if Albanian had come on the scene 400 years ago or 500 years ago, it doesnt change the situation. Im saying this both to Albanians who use it as an argument and Serbs who use it to negate the Albs. Thats what Im saying.

These two topics should be treated separately from one another.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 22:43
Originally posted by Leonidas

cool. now the precedent has been made, i think the Abkaz, Basque, treinster, etc , every other group can split from any nation regardless of due process and legalities. all you need is to be sponsored by a big power or even better a group of them.

The independence outcome is fine with me personally, im still very unimpressed on how this happened. This I think is going to cause longer term problems

Well said.  I wonder how France would react if Russia, Serbia and China recognized Corsica.  Don't we all know that Scotand is "destined" for independence as well? 
Originally posted by Temujin

South Ossetia from Georgia

will Russia in turn release north ossetia?
No, they will not.  But then I do not think that Germany is going to release Barvaria either.  

Edited by Cryptic - 19-Feb-2008 at 22:56
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 22:47
Temujin.Is not quite the same.

If you today in Germany have a masive imigration of whole populations,and slowly start to develop a mixed language with the new arrivals,and develop a new national identity,it does not mean that Germans are not there anymore in genes.

Would you say that Gal (the people first living where is todays france) just simply dissapeared from face of the earth,or other simmilar examples? I dont think so.

I think that in a milenium,the people of the balkans got mixed,with Illyrian language surviving where Albanian are today,And the Greek language in a way.You can tell this by the fact that you wont be able to make a huge dinstiction between peoples of the Balkans.

I think that Albanians can many times tell their compatriots in foreign countries just by their apearence,but many times is so hard to tell when dealing with other Balkan people.This shows i think a certain degree of closnes.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 22:52
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by Leonidas

cool. now the precedent has been made, i think the Abkaz, Basque, treinster, etc , every other group can split from any nation regardless of due process and legalities. all you need is to be sponsored by a big power or even better a group of them.

The independence outcome is fine with me personally, im still very unimpressed on how this happened. This I think is going to cause longer term problems

Well said.  I wonder how France would react if Russia, Serbia and China recognized Corsica.  Don't we all know that Scotand is "destined" for independence as well? 

Absolutely agree with you.

But there are very big differences,and you can not make comparissions with Kosovo.

France has not had a policy of racism,discrimination etc in Corsica,it certainly did not kill and rape ,and planed a genocide,and i have not heard or seen a milion Corsicans finding shelter in Italy from the French army.

Thats the difference,and if that hapens to Corsicans ,they to have a right to lift the finger at France.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 32>